Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Hyundai Sonata Steering Issue - Vehicle Wanders

acrossleyacrossley Member Posts: 1
edited February 2013 in Hyundai
After my first extended highway drive with my brand new 2013 Hyundai Sonata I noticed a problem. Driving in a straight line is near impossible. This seems rudimentary I know; a car should track in a straight line with no issue. But as many others have noticed my 2013 Sonata would not. More noticeable at highway speeds, but also at city speeds, the vehicle requires constant correction to maintain a straight track. In a few words, the car simply 'wanders' or 'drifts' left and right, with no real 'centered' feel to the steering. Maintaining a straight track is impossible and requires constant attention and correction. The vehicle wander creates hazardous driving conditions and driver fatigue, which poses a public safety hazard. The vehicle has been brought to three different Hyundai dealerships for resolution, and all three Hyundai dealerships deny there is a problem. Has anyone else here had this problem? If you have I'd love to hear your story. I've also decided to set up a blog to track my progress in fixing the issue with my Sonata here 2013hyundaisonata.blogspot.com.

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited February 2013
    My wife's 2013 Sonata doesn't wander at all... city or highway. So it's not normal. I recommend you go "up the chain" at Hyundai, since you aren't getting any help from the dealerships. Try the 1-800 customer service number first. Another option is to go to the Service MANAGER where you bought the car and demand that the matter be brought to the Hyundai Regional Service Rep.

Another thing you should do while at the dealer is ask to drive another 2013 Sonata, and see if it exhibits the same behavior as your car. If so, have the service manager drive with you in both cars so they can see the problem for themselves.

There is another possibility... if this is the first car you've owned with electronic steering, it does have a different feel than hydraulic steering. I've driven many cars with electronic steering so I didn't notice any problem with the Sonata (my '10 Sentra is much worse on steering feel than the Sonata, for example), but if you aren't used to it there could be more correcting and attention needed than what you are used to.
  • mrmoto42mrmoto42 Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new 2013 limited 2.4 fully loaded. I really like the car. I bought it to replace my aging Corolla. I do mostly freeway driving during my commute to work. I have noticed that the car wonders during straight line driving which requires constant correction. This issue annoys me. The car behaves as if the steering is not firmly planted. As if the steering wheel is not connected directly to the front wheels. Any gusty wind conditions make it a lot worse. I called the dealership and asked it there was any adjustments to tighten the linkage. They said no adjustment is possible. I dropped the tire pressure down to 30psi, this seemed to help. My previous cars (Toyota's and Honda's)all seemed to track straight and not wonder as if affected by the road contours.
  • oilmuttoilmutt Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2013 sonata ,3months old,2,600 miles,no steering issues as of yet.
  • iadnuyhiadnuyh Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2013 Sonata Limited turbo a few weeks ago, noticed the same situation with my steering. First trip to dealer is scheduled for Tuesday of next week.
  • gottasonatagottasonata Member Posts: 1
    I think what you are all talking about is the electronic steering. I just bought a 13 sonata limited 2 days ago. I had a 99 accord before this. It is very strange steering, but I think I will get used to it. You just have to let your brain retrain.
  • sn123sn123 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a wandering problem with my 2013 Sonata GLS. We've had it back to the dealer on 3 occasions and they say the car is within spec and that it is due to the fact that I'm not used to the Electric Steering. That is pure BS. I have driven the 2013 Accord, 2013 Ford Fusion and 2013 Altima. I test drove those cars again after the dealer told me it wasn't a problem with the car. All of those cars have electric steering and none of those exhibited a wandering problem on the highway.

I then had the dealer let me test drive a couple of other sonatas. They all exhibited the wandering problem. This is evidently a problem that Hyundai doesn't want to own up to. I've escalated it up the ladder at Hyundai and have not been able to get any satisfaction. I have 3500 miles on the car and the driving characteristics haven't changed.

If I could get out of the car without taking a loss I would. I am currently reviewing our state LEMON law to see what recourse is available to me.
  • beachhairbeachhair Member Posts: 5
    You do not stand alone, there are many of us with this very serious problem, my self included. I wish I would of researched much more than I did, I would of never considered this car if I had. I took delivery 3/26, driving the car home from the dealership, I could not keep the car in the center of the lane, it veered to the left and right just as yours does. I do not feel safe driving this car, let alone put my kids in it. The dealerships were trained/told to say there is nothing wrong with it, its the electric steering and you need to get use to it...I have read so much and everyone was told the same exact thing...really, all around the country...little rehearsed I would say! Get use to not being able to keep your car safely in a lane, are they kidding me? There was a recall in 2010-2011 for the steering (as you probably do know) and they turn their backs to this repeat defect? Keep fighting, don't give up and let them win...there is plenty about this topic all over the internet, start printing and appeal it.... I am heading in the same direction it seems. Good luck and drive safe!
    As we speak, my Sonata is in for service.... They first gave me an appt for 4/24 because that is when they had a loner available....I talked to my salesman and he wanted to drive the car, so I brought it in yesterday. after his "test drive" he drove the car right into the service dept... he told them the steering has "a lot of play" to get it checked asap....so there it stayed. I am hopeful , but I doubt there will be any changes due to so many have brought their cars in for service with no improvement to the steering. Everyone who has this problem must report it to NHTSA/ safecar.gov asap! after they get a certain amount of complaints, they contact the auto maker and request they do a recall, if refused they then get a court order to make them have a recall. Hyundai will continue to ignore the steering problem as long as they can...they have 1.9 million cars being recalled for sudden airbag deployment and brake light switches, along with having to pay back gas milage due to not putting the correct gas milage on their cars... it is very important to do a formal complaint with the above . good luck with your states :lemon: law...I will be heading in that direction myself if the problem is not solved good luck!
    glad you wife is safe driving her car ! It is not that anyone has to get use to electric steering, as many of us have test drove other cars with out the cars wandering all over the road...no one should have to get use to fighting the steering wheel to keep the car centered in their lane. it is unsafe and dangerous!
    Just an after thought.... Hyundai had a recall on the 2010- 2011 sonatas for steering issues... I have been reading the steering complaints from that time frame. Before the recall, people were writing about the car wandering all over the road , same exact complaints and issues we are having now... word for word. And they are denying there is a problem? It will catch up to them, in time (but not soon enough) they will be forced to recall the 2012-2013 Sonatas as well.... they are putting their costs over the safety of their buyers. :(
    No, no one should have to fight to keep a car from wandering all over the road. Fortunately, my Sonata does not have this problem, nor did any other 2011-13 Sonata I've driven over the years (as rentals and test cars). Good luck getting the problem resolved with your car!
    happy to hear you are safe driving your car! many of us are not unfortunately. I have the limited 2.0 T . My car is still in service at the dealer. They test drove the car and experienced it pulling/wandering all over the road. either way, I will never feel safe or at ease driving it, this shouldn't be!! Hyundai is ignoring the 2012-2013 has the same steering issues as their recalled 2010-2011 sonata's.. ????? no recall as of yet, they will have to stand up to the plate sooner or later. shame on them, will never give them my business again, not to a company who does not care about their buyers and putting them at risk with their lives.. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • slrshooterslrshooter Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2013 GLS three weeks ago, took a 200 mile trip and get real tired of correcting the steering. Took it to the dealer and they said they took it on a test drive and had no problem. I asked if they took it out on the interstate and they admitted they just drove it around town. Now that I have read the problems posted on the net, I am inclined to force the issue to get it fixed or see if I can get it replaced. It still has less than 1,000 miles on it.

Just FYI - I have been driving for about 50 years and know how a car is suppose to steer. This ain't it!!!!
  • peter95949peter95949 Member Posts: 1
    Both my 2011 GLS and my new 2014 have this issue. I do not feel unsafe; there is nothing to indicate anything mechanical is wrong. But it does require continual small inputs, and is tiring.

But these are terrific cars, and I am not on the highway often enough for the steering to be a major issue. It's just annoying. :)
  • joto1000joto1000 Member Posts: 22
    According to a post on another Hyundai steering problem blog there may be a solution to this. "There is a 3 position software switch to adjust the steering." I took my vehicle in yesterday, before I had this new info, and the service manager told me that there was nothing that they could do for me. I suspect that this steering issue is what has caused me to lose almost all tread on my front tires at 12000 miles!!!
    Just a heads up for all of you that do not like the aweful steering sensitivity of the 2013 Sonata. I was able to get my dealer to change the steering sensitivity to Sport mode which they say will tighten it up.
    Brought my 2013 Sonata GLS into the dealer last week and had them change my steering preference to Sport mode. This made steering more substantial in that it is no longer very sensitive and has some torque and requires some effort to steer now. Don't let the dealer tell you that there is no way to do this, because there is. They just hook it up to their computer and select Sport mode from the three options avail which are comfort, normal and sport. Hope this finds you all well!
  • carl81carl81 Member Posts: 1
    The 2013 Sonata is a problem! The dealer will try to bully you or stonewall you and tell you there is nothing wrong with the car. DO NOT BACK DOWN! Wilson Hyundai in TN said there was nothing wrong with my Sonata. I pushed the issue under the TN Lemon Law and won. They were forced to buy back the car.

But here is the kicker, Hyundai tried to force me to sign a non disclosure agreement to buy back the car. I reported this to the BBB and they were forced to back off on that demand.

If you are going to pursue it under the Lemom Law of your state, contact the BBB Auto line to staqrt the process. Concentrate on the safety issues of the vehicle and the problems you will experience with resale.
  • cicciuzzucicciuzzu Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would never get used to the steering in my 2013 Sonata, coming as I did from Alfa Romeos with wonderful road feel. But in a while (less than 3000 miles) I found that a very light touch on the wheel kept me going in a straight line at freeway speeds. Of course, since there is very little road feel, correcting the direction the car is traveling solely by sight is fatiguing as you are deprived of one sensory input from the wheel. This is not going to change. All cars need to lose weight to reach gas consumption levels which are competitive. This is done by eliminating hydraulic pumps. There are vehicles with worse feel to their electric steering than Hyundais have. Learn to lighten up on the wheel after you find dead center. I haven't tried the sport setting and would like to see a good write up about this.
  • travelbug3travelbug3 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for all this information! We have a 2012 Sonata and are having the same steering problems and have had them since we purchased the vehicle a little over a year ago. We have brought it in a few times already and are bringing back again this week! I am done with this car and don't even want to drive it in fear of an accident!
    Glad I could help .Just make sure that they don't tell you otherwise. The Sonata's are pre-programmed to steer in comfort mode. There are three modes to select from once the tech hooks it up to the diagnostic machine, comfort, normal and sport. You want sport mode which tightens up the steering considerably. Good luck!!
  • platinumtech13platinumtech13 Member Posts: 8
    As a Hyundai Platinum Technician for many years I can say that this thread is technically incorrect. Yes you can Change the settings in "Motor Driven Power Steering" but not like described in this thread. The setting is to tell the EPS (electric power steering) module what trim level the unit is installed in. Settings are GLS, GE, and Sport. Yes it will change the steering feel like described but not as a "personality" setting but as an installed setting. Feel changes due to pre-programmed settings internal to the EPS module that give it the ability to be installed into different vehicles with different tire and wheel packages, depending on trim. I.E. a Sonata Turbo with 225/45R18 wheel/tires installed will have different setting/feel as compared to a base Sonata with 205/65R16 combo installed. With all this being said, this is not a warrantable repair/correction but is a modification to the vehicle and is not factory correct. Just thought I would clear up what this setting is, its not like the system installed in the 2013 Santa Fe which gives the driver the ability to change the "personality" setting with a press of the button on the steering wheel.
  • pdo850pdo850 Member Posts: 1
    My dealer and the Hyundai 800 number folks deny ther is a software setting to select one of 3 modes. Can you tell me the dealership that fixed yours or the name of the service advisor who did it? I'd like to speak with them to get my dealer to fix mine.

Thanks.

Pete
    Pete, please see my previous post. It's not a software selection or a fix. What it is, it's a option selection that is selected by a technician when installing a new module into a vehicle. It "tells" the new module what trim level Sonata it is being installed in. It is not a "ride" setting not is it a "fix" to anything. Hope this helps.
    It is a steering option in the software. The modes are comfort, normal and sport. Sport is what you want as the current setting is comfort which
    "In Comfort mode, the steering effort is much lighter, with a looser on-center feel. Hyundai says Comfort mode comes in handy for the long boring cruises or for situations when a higher-speed road is heavily crowned."

The service advisor that did fix my steering issue is located at Auffenberg Hyundai in O'fallon, IL, Kevin Quayle. He can be reached at 618-589-1354. Your service advisor is obviously not doing his research. All he would need to do is contact his Hyundai engineer rep and they would tell him the same. Let me know how it goes.
    Just a heads up that it did fix my steering issue and it was a software selection that the dealer can adjust. I did not have a new module installed. I now have better handling and a tighter on center feel.
    It doesn't "fix" anything, just changes the setup in the module to fool it that it is in a different vehicle with a different wheel/tire combo. You don't have to install a new module to do it rather set the "correct" vehicle when installing a new one. The options (as stated before) are GL, GLS, and sport. Which are YF (Sonata) trim levels. In essence by changing the setting you are "fooling" the module that's it's in a different car. You where just unhappy with the "feel" before the change but with the new setting selected its a "feel" you are more used to coming from a hydronic power steering which had "slop" where an electric does not and the second the steering angle sensor sees an input (in degrees) left or right the electric motor will assist. I knew I shouldn't of posted here because blog people always know more then the experts...
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Re: All these comments,etc.
    How will making a change in the "software" affect the warranty? or will
    everything be OK ? It would seem to me that that change should not make any difference, but if you are speaking as a "company man", I would like to know what you say about it.

van
    As this is considered a modification and not a repair would not be covered under warranty. As to affecting future warranty can't say 100% as that is above my pay grade, but it should not affect anything unless you have a direct issue with the module itself. I'm not a "company man" just Master (Platinum) Technician with Hyundai for the past 7 years...
    In my experience, if something is causing abnormal tire wear and posing a significant safety risk, as this steering issue has been widely reported by many consumers, I don'tsee why it would not be considered a repair. My dealer happily changed my setting without charge. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a recall is issued for this engineering screw up.
    Driver feel or perception is not an "engineering screw-up". As stated before, hydro-driven power steering as compared to electric-driven power steering are two totally different feels. electric is instant input/instant assist. in other words if a driver has a tendency to hold a steering when with slight pressure left or right the system will attempt to assist. Changing the trim level option to different vehicle other then installed may lead to other issues or lack of assist when needed, which in turn creates a possible safety concern. as to tire wear, there is no way this setting can affect or help. aggressive driving is the lead cause to premature tire wear or lack of rotation a close second. But I digress and concede that I am a lonely Master Tech and blogs are the true experts...
    This is not perception that we are talking about, this is reality. I hate to sound redundant, but when multiple drivers are reporting the same safety issue with being all over the road and tire wear occurring at a premature rate, then that is what I consider a serious flaw in the design of this vehicle. This has nothing to do with aggressive driving as I have been driving for many years with zero problem with premature tire wear on any other vehicle. When one constantly has to compensate (left and right) for the car drifting then that would account for added tire wear as you are increasing the amount of surface area hitting the pavement. The change in trim level to "sport" actually helped to assist in keeping the car on the straight and narrow, when all it took before was a slight cross-wind to knock you into the next lane. My personal feeling is that they should either include the steering mode button on all of their vehicles or get rid of the "comfort" steering mode which is defaulted for the GLS models. Just my thoughts and thanks for your feedback as it is appreciated, but taken with a grain of salt (respectfully) since you are a Hyundai tech trained to sway owners from thinking there's something wrong with their vehicle.
    I give up, because obviously you are missing the point of what this setting is. Further more I am not a "company man" I am in the business of making money, and to do that I need to fix and or repair vehicles or I don't get paid. With that said, if what the nonsense that you believe in your mind is a fix and or repair and it will satisfy you, I will gladly tell you that it is a fix for you. What you have missed is now your steering is set wrong for the vehicle that it is in, FYI just corrected one yesterday that was improperly set for the incorrect trim and the system did not operate correctly. Now that is a safety concern, at least for me, but who am I to say. I'm just a lonely expert who works on hundreds of YF's (Sonatas) in a given month at a high volume dealer and not a "Blog-Expert"...
  • missisudzmissisudz Member Posts: 1
    Well I am at the dealer for the third time to try and solve the drifting of my sonata all over the road.
    We had the mode changed to sport, we had the tires checked and the wheels aligned but the problem persists. Its so bad that My drive to NY from Fl was terrifying. Now the dealer is telling me that there is nothing wrong with my car and that they can not help me!

It is less then 30 days since I purchased this vehicle and I want something done about it because I do not feel safe when I am in this car.
    Well that stinks. You may want to see if they can change your setting to Normal mode to see if that works. The change fixed my steering probs. Although, after buying two new tires after 12000 miles, the other two that came with the car are making extremely loud noises at highway speeds like a belt is off. If it's not one thing!
  • civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    I have been reading all these wandering / warranty discussions with interest. I recently bought a 2013 Sonata GLS. The car does go straight on an open highway. However, I do feel it requires a fair amount of attention in holding onto the steering wheel. It seems I have to constantly making adjustments. The Platinum Technician at the dealership drove the car with me and concluded it is mainly due to the EPS design. This is the first car I own with this design so I have no prior experience. He acknowledged there are different settings they could change. He also suggests to give some time. If still not comfortable, they can try a different setting.
    Since the car does go straight on the highway, I think "give some time" is good advice. I drove a 2010 Sentra with slushy EPS for over two years before getting a 2013 Sonata for my wife. So I had already made the adjustment to the different feel of EPS. And the Sonata's steering feel is much better than that of the Sentra (which I no longer have, lease was up earlier this month).
    I wouldn't wait too long. I had to replace my front tires after only 12000 miles because of the constanct corrections that I had to make to the steering. I had them change my setting to Sport mode which resolved that issue... now I'm having transmission issues!!
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

I will try to get used to Sonata EPS system. It is most noticeable when there seems to exhibit a "lack of feel" a few degrees left or right from center (hard to describe). If still not comfortable in three weeks, I will ask the dealership to change the mode.

Various posts suggest the three modes are Comfort, Normal, and Sport. Yet there is also a post stating the choices are GLS, GE, and Sport. I assume they are equivalent. Most said the Sport mode provides a tighter grip and do seem to resolve the issue. Would Normal mode also work?

Regardless whether this change from Comfort to Sport is a warranty/repair or modification topic, if the change really does resolve this wandering concern, then it is worth it in my mind.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    a 2011 Sonata w/16s and 3K on a 2013 w/ 17" wheels.
    No steerage issues with either.
    Khumos & Michelins
    This is a follow-up to my earlier post regarding wandering. Ever since the purchase in mid-July, I had experienced a slight drift to the right. Took the car back to the dealer, its Platinum mechanic drove the car with me and concluded there was nothing wrong and it was due to the EPS design. Because of the drift, it seems I had to keep holding onto the steering wheel. A few days ago, took the car to a local Firestone store. Its alignment check revealed the left toe was off (not be much but was definitely out of spec). After adjustment, the drift is gone. The "lack of feel" is reduced and the car is much easier to handle. It is unfortunate that a new car would be delivered with alignment being off.
  • fritzmwfritzmw Member Posts: 1
    I made 2 trips to the dealer for a steering adjustment for "drifting and wandering."
    Trip 1--Zero calibration done w/ front tire switch (l to r, I presume). Improved the steering 50-60%.

2000 miles later after another highway trip where I was still bothered by the "drifting," the steering was adjusted to the SPORT setting on my 2013 GLS (NOT the sport model). It is totally satisfactory now.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    SUGGESTION:
    Assuming the 4 wheel alignment is correct on the vehicle, run the two rear tires at a two pounds higher pressure than the front tires. (If you are running the front at 30psi, run the rear at 32psi.) This might help the steering problem in a straight line!

Best regards! ------- Dwayne
    According to C/D, all Sonata trims including GLS will feature adjustable steering feel for MY 2014. Not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking it would be like the feature on cars like the Elantra GT that has 3 settings, and firms up the feel quite a bit in the "sport" setting.
  • fairfax3fairfax3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - thanks to platiumtech13 for the info - I took mine right back and asked to have the steering tightened...and the tech knew how to adjust the power steering. I will say I still don't like it on the hwy. Here's my concern and perhaps you have insight...it seems that the EPS is all the rage and they are putting in many cars..I had a hard time finding one online last night that was still using the hydro power steering with the overflow etc... from all my reading it appears that I will need to go back to the 4WD in order to find one without EPS. Do you know if this is the case. Because all the auto type reviews say EPS much better etc and lots of cars are coming out with it I don't know how to find a new car without it. I had a Subaru (owned by same dealership) which was fine - maybe I need to go back to AWD subaru. Also, is there any separate adjustment that can be made to specifically deal with the hwy 70mph speed... the adjustment has the steering and control really good with regular driving where you turn and accelerate and brake often...but cruising is very stressful. Thanks in advance.
  • t_for_tigert_for_tiger Member Posts: 1
    Did many research online regarding many 2013 Sonata wander when drivers drive them on freeway because my barely 4-week-old 2013 Sonata GLS did the exact same thing on freeway. I needed to keep correcting the steering or the car would not go straight.

Found the solution online from a post from other forum and gave it a shot at the local dealership and it solved the issue. I found out that there were some people went back to the Hyundai dealerships and requested that their settings on the electronic steering system (EPS) be changed to "Sport" setting. The setting on my Sonata was "GLS", and it was the most sensitive mode for the steering wheel. "Soft" is the next mode for lesser sensitivity, "Hard" mode is even lesser sensitive mode and "Sport" mode is the lowest sensitive setting.

I went to my local Hyundai dealership, got a very understanding service rep from the service dept. He called in the lead technician at their place and they both listened to me about the safety concern about the steering wheel was way too sensitive. It did take me 5 minutes to convince both of them to hear me out. At first they both gave me "need to get used to it" speech, but I told them I just don't want to kill somebody on the road someday when I over correct my steering wheel due to the sensitivity level. And I showed the lead technician the print-out of those blogs about EPS, he agreed that the EPS setting can be changed and he pulled the GDS computer out and changed the mode to "Sport" setting for me in less than 3 minutes.

Test drove my car with him and my car doesn't wander on the freeway anymore and I don't have to constantly correcting the steering. The lead technician was helpful and happy about that now I don't have the safety concern anymore. Heard story about people will need to go to many dealerships just to get the EPS setting changed because those dealerships refused to do such thing. I must be very lucky that I can convince the people at the dealership at my first attempt and resolved the steering issue.

Tested my car for another 50 miles freeway run the next day and confirmed that the problem has been eliminated.
    Final (I hope) update to the wandering issue with my 2013 GLS. I took the car back to the dealership last Friday (8/23) and basically told the Service Adviser to "change the EPS to Sport mode". He was not aware that it could be done. But I mentioned to him it is documented over the internet forum, and even their own Platinum Technician acknowledged it is doable in an earlier visit. Just like others had posted, it took about 10 minutes to complete the change. I even asked them to provide screen prints of the old and the revised EPS settings for my records.

The feeling now is definitely improved.

By the way, I have a co-worker who recently bought a 2013 Santa Fe. According to him, it is a standard option on that model to allow the driver to change the settings themselves. In his words, "I changed it to Sport mode and never look back."

Reading a magazine last week (I think it was the Consumer Report on the 2014 cars), it indicates the 2014 GLS will allow the drivers to change their own EPS settings
  • recalledrecalled Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what the "fix" was for the 2011 steering recall was? Hyundai said they would check possible defective steering bolt connections and update the power steering software free of charge. My brother, Doug was driving his 2011 Sonata at 45MPH and his car crossed a three foot wide center line and crashed head on into an oncoming car. The passenger in the other car was killed and Doug was charged with vehicular manslaughter. He had under the legal limit of alcohol in his system and vicodin. A prescribed pain killer. The amount of pills in the prescription bottle showed that on average he was taking about half of the maximum prescribed dosage. At the trial, witnesses testified that he was driving normal with no erratic signs before he made a sudden left turn. He did not wander into the other lane, like what would be indicative of an impaired driver. The car turned across a three foot center line and into an oncoming car. There was no road to turn into. Expert technicians from Hyundai and the State Police concluded there was no mechanical defects that caused the car to fail. A State trooper auto expert testified that the electric power steering was incapable to turn on it's own. He also said he did not have the technical expertise or equipment to test the power steering. A woman was at the trial to testify of her experience while driving a 2011 Sonata that was also in the recall. She has filed a complaint to NHSTA and documented the story of her steering violently turning left and out of the control of her grip on Youtube (UN: Mommyt100). Her testimony would have directly contradicted the State Trooper's statement, yet the judge denied her to take the stand...really. The jury's verdict was guilty and Doug was sentenced to 5-7 years of prison. He has served about 7 months and is awaiting the slow process of an appeal decision. I sat through the trial and do not see how the jury found him POSITIVELY guilty. I strongly suspect there was a potential defect in the EPS software of the recalled vehicles. I believe the EPS is powered by a 75 amp servo motor. You can turn the steering wheel with one finger when at rest. What would happen if you were going 45MPH and you were turning the wheel left out of a curve (like Doug was) and the Steering computer was getting a signal that you were at rest? Just a thought, but the motor is simply controlled by what the software tells it. I'll appreciate any insight on the recall and any technical knowledge of what could cause EPS to malfunction. Thanks, Shaun
    Terrible story. Hope everything works out for your bro.

Below is what I have found concerning the 2011 Sonata steering recall.

STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT SECTOR
    Recall number: 10V457000
    Recall date: 10/01/2010

Problem Summary:
    HYUNDAI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 SONATA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM DECEMBER 11, 2009, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 10, 2010. ON SOME OF THESE VEHICLES THE STEERING COLUMN INTERMEDIATE SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT CONNECTIONS MAY HAVE BEEN EITHER IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED OR INSUFFICIENTLY TIGHTENED.

Consequence:
    IMPROPER ASSEMBLY OR INSUFFICIENT TIGHTENING OF THE CONNECTIONS COULD RESULT IN A COMPLETE SEPARATION OR COMPROMISED ATTACHMENT OF THE CONNECTIONS, SUCH THAT THE DRIVER COULD EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF, OR REDUCTION IN, STEERING CAPABILITY INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective Action:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE STEERING COLUMN INTERMEDIATE SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT CONNECTIONS FOR PROPER ASSEMBLY AND TORQUE. IN ADDITION DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE POWER STEERING SOFTWARE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 11, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER AT 1-787-999-3333.

The manufacturer first notified owners of this recall on 10/11/2010.

This recall affects vehicles manufactured between 12/11/2009 and 09/10/2010.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT SECTOR
    Recall number: 10V426000
    Recall date: 09/20/2010

Problem Summary:
    HYUNDAI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 SONATA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM DECEMBER 11, 2009, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 10, 2010. ON SOME OF THESE VEHICLES THE STEERING COLUMN INTERMEDIATE SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT CONNECTIONS MAY HAVE BEEN EITHER IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED OR INSUFFICIENTLY TIGHTENED.

Consequence:
    IMPROPER ASSEMBLY OR INSUFFICIENT TIGHTENING OF THE CONNECTIONS COULD RESULT IN A COMPLETE SEPARATION OR COMPROMISED ATTACHMENT OF THE CONNECTIONS, SUCH THAT THE DRIVER COULD EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF, OR REDUCTION IN, STEERING CAPABILITY INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective Action:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE STEERING COLUMN INTERMEDIATE SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT CONNECTIONS FOR PROPER ASSEMBLY AND TORQUE. IN ADDITION DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE POWER STEERING SOFTWARE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-633-5151.

The manufacturer first notified owners of this recall on 10/15/2010.

This recall affects vehicles manufactured between 12/11/2009 and 09/10/2010.
  • ni55ni55 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my 2013 Sonata. I called the dealer right away and the sales person that sold me the car told me, "oh, it is EPS so drive with 2 hands..." really? I think she was fired but not sure since she is not there anymore but I took it back to service and they did alignment that didn't help. so, I took a friends car with EPS on a 4 hours trip and it was just fine! the problem is the Sonata's steering.