Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Problems starting 2006 HHR

06hhr_headache06hhr_headache Member Posts: 2
I bought my 2006 HHR last April and after having it about 3 weeks I have had problems with it cutting off while I'm driving on the interstate, not starting in any kind of weather. It's been in and out of the shop, sometimes in the shop 3-4 days at a time and in the last 4 weeks I've had numerous relays replaced, rotars, battery and transmission gasket replaced. Two weeks ago power steering just all of a sudden went out, some type of fuse, my regular lights and bright lights (that I never use) went out AGAIN, battery replaced, transmission gasket replaced, last Thursday just had the and the crank cylender or cylinoid (however it's spelled) and fuel throttle replaced started up fine on Fri & Sat, went out Sun. morning to go to church, nothing. My husband and I played around with a couple of relays and it started, I turned it off and tried to start it and nothing, later that day it started and it started this morning, but I drive 40 miles one way to work each day, and I don't feel confident in that car; the mechanic at the chevrolet dealer can't seem to find much wrong with it; and I've already paid over $1,000 to it "fixed". It makes a humming noise, always. The mechanic at the dealer, which is very nice and honest told me that I also need 2 tires, struts, and something else I can't remember all of this and I'm still making payments and still have 2 years left, I can't afford to keep fixing it and still make payments. I'm very frustrated and I love Chevrolet/GM I grew up on Chevrolet.

Comments

• moonlight293moonlight293 Member Posts: 23
    When you bought your car, did you take it for a test drive? Did you have it checked out by a mechanic?
  • 06hhr_headache06hhr_headache Member Posts: 2
    Yes, we took it for a test drive and had it checked out but it wasn't extensive or anything, and everything seemed okay, it drove really well, until a fews weeks after and the check engine light came on, had it checked out, couldn't find anything and honestly we just thought, okay it's used and it had 90,000 miles, so things will go out and it did but it keeps happening, especially when it just died while I was driving on the interstate and since then it's been one thing after another and mostly it's the not starting - and the mechanics can't figure out why. Before it's all over - I will have alot of new "parts" in that car - not sure if any of them will actually fix the problem and I can't afford to trade it since I owe so much on it.
  • oksmomoksmom Member Posts: 1
    I bought my HHR about 2 years ago. Within 2 months the serpentine belt went, cost me $900 dollars. The dealer chipped in $300, I've had to replace the tires, battery, front and rear brakes and sway bar. The check engine light seems to be on every other month. Now the traction control light is on along with the check engine light. I traded my old car in bc the heat was gone. I should've kept it bc I never had this many issues with it and you can always bundle up. It's very disappointing bc I love the style, room and the extras however I can't afford to keep up with issues. I have to say the car is a lemon and I wish I never bought it. The sad part is I mainly use it for work and back and that's only 5 miles away. It can't even handle that. I will never buy a Chevy again and when people ask me about the car, which happens quite often, I'm going to continue to tell them don't waste your time and money.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    So...I guess you'll never eat apples again because you found 1 bad apple in the basket?
    The problem is...you bought a "lemon". Lemons exists in all kind of car brands...Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, Nissan,...name it, you got it.
    Would you believe that my HHR turned 3 yrs old and I never had an issue during those 3 years, 28 thousand miles...only went to the garage for regular maintenance.
    P.S. And I know lots of people than own HHR's and are very happy...trouble free.