Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

China, The World's Biggest Car Market

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
edited April 2013 in General
What's happening in China matters to U.S. car buyers from many perspectives. With China's huge scale, Chinese consumers are influencing the designs of cars that are in our showrooms. For example, Buick might no longer exist if it weren't for the fact that GM has been selling more Buicks in China than in the U.S. for several years now, and by a wide margin. China is also the number one market for Mercedes and others.

New models that will be sold in North America are being introduced at the Shanghai Auto Show. Of course, the opposite is also true, and the Chinese auto industry might not exist if it weren't for American and European manufacturers. The Japanese and Koreans are Johny-come-latelies to China.

Virtually every major manufacturer is aggressively expanding production and marketing in China. Once too small to matter, in just a few years this market has become too vast for any manufacturer to ignore, and fewer than half of all Chinese of driving age still do not have drivers licenses.

The purpose of this topic is to discuss the many aspects of the Chinese auto industry and market. What are your views on this trend? Do you see it as a net positive or negative, and why?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Positive for short term profits, probable negative for the real costs of those profits. Maybe get what one can out of the house of cards before the eventual strife hits.

It'd be interesting to see what it takes to get a license there, seeing what I see from first generation drivers here...
  • Options
    GM sold 816,373 vehicles in China January-march 2013 versus 664,963 in the U.S.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The first Chinese-owned vehicle manufacturer in the United States plans to build electric buses and batteries at plants in the Mojave Desert.

BYD, which opened its North American headquarters in Los Angeles in 2010, says the plant will initially turn out 10 electric buses for the city of Long Beach. It expects the vehicles, with a range of 150 miles between charges, to be delivered next year. In April, the Long Beach Transit Authority awarded BYD a $12.1 million contract for the zero-emission buses, a company statement said."

1st Chinese automaker in U.S. to open California plants (Detroit News)
  • Options
    GM won regulatory approval to build a new $1.3 B plant to produce Cadillacs in China.
  • Options
    China is now the biggest car market for Buick (but not for GM...yet, as far as I know), Mercedes, and maybe BMW and Volkswagen.

Question: How will this influence car design?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Apparently most Chinese drivers are, as Forbes calls them, "holiday drivers". They don't want to drive to work and they don't want troublesome or highly technical cars.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The recent arrivals here sure love their big complicated German cars. Of course, the local demographic might not be typical.
  • Options
    I doubt it is typical, and it is far easier to deal with a complicated German car here, and far easier to deal with American traffic.
  • Options
    Much of the demographic here, of course, are low/midlevel kleptocrats and relations who buy residency. I should keep my mouth shut as not to offend the SJWs, but I'll just say dealing with plodding regimented American traffic doesn't appear to be easy for many newbies B)
  • Options
    The second generation will be as American as apple pie.
  • Options
    Depends on how coddled they are, maybe. Around here anyway, these aren't the huddled masses.
  • Options
    Well assimilation is a two-way street.
  • Options
    In modern guilted society, I think the host is expected to adapt to the newbies.
  • Options
    I've never seen THAT happen.
  • Options
    Germany, Sweden, maybe even Britain.