Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 Jetta VR6 coolant and engine problems

evanpcurryevanpcurry Member Posts: 1
My 2000 Jetta VR6 has an over revving issue when accelerating from a full stop, and switching gears. It will over-rev 1-2000 rpms, and has very little acceleration power. Any ideas? From the very little I know about cars, I think it has something to do with the timing belt or spark plugs.

Also, she was leaking coolant recently (if you're sitting in the driver's seat, the leak was on the front driver's side) and I discovered I annihilated my radiator, so I replaced it, and she's still leaking coolant pretty fiercely, but now from the passenger side. I think it's a leak in either the line or the coolant reservoir. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I can help with your coolant-leaking issue.... Make *certain* that you use only the proper antifreeze in your VW. I believe in 2000, VW specific "G12" antifreeze which is PINK colored.

Use nothing else for antifreeze lest you may suffer engine-damage.

The plastic coolant-resiour is usually marked with "G12" imprinted right on it to remind you to use "G12" antifreeze.