Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Ford Escape - Transmission Cooler

petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
edited March 2014 in Ford
According to the Edmunds spec page for 2014 ford escapes, a transmission cooler will be added. Anyone know why this was added and if there are problems showing up with trannys in the 2013 models?

Comments

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    edited May 2013
    My recollection from reading it on another forum, I believe the trans cooler is a 2013 feature included with the tow package. I can't find a reference to it in the manual or order guide, but I remember the fellow was speculating that the 2.0L did not have the active grille shutters because of the transmission cooler??? Perhaps Ford decided it's easier, cheaper and helps the running of the transmission to include it on all engines. As far as issues, I've had none, shifts are smooth and for the most part timed right. The only issue I have is, when traveling at slower speeds, 20-30 mph, it tends to stay in a lower gear longer and doesn't downshift when I think it should. I get the feeling that it's bogging down, it doesn't and this is probably a fuel saving measure. My solution is to use the Select Shift option. I have read of some who have had to have the trans reprogrammed because of hard shifts and delays from P to R. Hey, when you build 300,000+ transmissions, there's bound to be a few with issues.
    If you're considering an Escape, I would see if you can find a 2013 Titanium with the features you want. For 2014 Ford dropped the SEL trim but added leather seating (I prefer the cloth/leather combo) and rear camera to all levels, dropped as standard, hid's, rain sensing wipers, roof cross bars, tonneau cover and most important the 2.0L EcoBoost.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    it used to be optional. Maybe Ford wanted to make more money, increased the price of the escape by making this standard. Or people notably were asking for it to pull stuff.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford Escape owners: We want to hear from you! Help others who are considering the Escape by writing a review.

(Feel free to cross-post in here too).

Thanks!
  • tnuss915tnuss915 Member Posts: 1

B) I just paid a bundle for 2014 titanium Sat. Love it so far. First Ford I've ever owned. Hope I don't regret it.

• automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105

I have owned my 2013 2.0, FWD SEL with all options for 1-1/2 years now. I am very pleased with the vehicle. No regrets here.