Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

subaru tires

lnelson2lnelson2 Member Posts: 1
I replaced 2 rear subaru tires 6 months/3000 miles ago. I just went to get the oil changed and tires rotated. The manager told me he couldn't do it because I should have had all tires changed at the same time, and not doing it could ruin the transmission. My question is, now what should I do? Get two more new tires or replace all 4? How do I find out if driving with them has already damaged my car? Or is it not a problem, since I've made it this far. Is the place that changed the 2 tires at fault or should I have known this. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    How many miles do you have on the front tires? I assume > 5000 miles, so get 2 new matching tires to replace the fronts.

Since the new tires only have 3000 miles, the tread depth difference between the rear and new front should be negligible. IIRC, the tolerance is no more that 1/4" in circumference difference between the best and worst tire.

As far as fault, a reputable tire dealer should have told you all four tires should be within a certain tolerance. If the difference between the new rear tires and existing front tires is outside of that tolerance, they should have recommended that you replace all four tires.

Ultimately, it's your car = your responsibility to ensure that it's properly maintained. Thus, you should have read the owners manual. ;)