Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

'93 Subaru Legacy- Antifreeze is leaking in oil

ahende30ahende30 Member Posts: 1
I bought a '93 Subaru Legacy w/ 104,000 for $400. I know to get that problem fixed will cost over a $1000......
This is how I see it
I feel getting the problem fixed would be better than selling or trading it in. If I do one of those to get another I'll have a car payment and higher insurance. I don't want that. I would rather save money than have a nicer looking car.

However, I would like to know from a mechanic if getting the problem fixed is worth it... I also would like to if the problem is the head gasket or something else?

I have also searched for cars that are around $1000 to $2500 and they aren't even worth buying.Those have had accidents and worst operating history. The insurance and the gas prices are higher.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    All strong arguments! That said, the real question about the car you bought is whether there is any longevity left in the engine. Antifreeze in the crank case is a bad deal, and, depending on the extent of the issue, the corrosion generated by the antifreeze exposure could lead to a catastrophic failure not too far down the road.

If you have the work done properly, you're not necessarily only looking at replacing head gaskets and other seals, etc., but also doing a rebuild of crank bearings and other wear components.

The last thing you want to do is invest the money in replacing head gaskets and then have the engine throw a rod 500 miles down the road.... :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250