Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Body repair - after market or OEM?

dinabordinabor Member Posts: 13
Hi, everyone.
Someone rear-ended my Outlander. Not extremely hard, but the rear bumper is scratched, slightly pushed in, the bottom piece of plastic is loose and damaged.

The body shop is telling me that "it is hard to get OEM Mitsubishi parts" so I will likely have to settle with aftermarket ones (the bottom plastic has to be replaced, do not know yet about the rear bumper).

Am I over reacting stretching for OEM parts only? Insurance company, I suspect will push me for the aftermarket solution.

About Make: Mitsubishi Outlander
About Topic(s): Accidents
About Vehicle Type(s): SUV

Comments

• Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I hope no one was seriously injured in the accident. It sounds like a fairly minor accident so hopefully that's the case.

Personally I prefer OEM parts. While aftermarket parts may be just as good, OEM is the only way to be certain.

I'd push your insurance company for OEM parts, especially since (assuming you're not in a no-fault state) your insurance co will seek reimbursement from the at-fault driver.

Another thought if the insurance balks at OEM parts is to pay the difference between OEM & aftermarket yourself.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    What was the total for the repair? Our '07 just dot rear-ended while we were on vacation. Rear bumper hit and out of alignment, plastic under it and metal behind it also damaged. Class 3 hitch took most of the hit. Also got pushed into the truck ahead of me, crunching the front bumper, grille and some metal pieces behind it. Waiting for the estimate, driving a Nissan Rogue his insurance is paying for.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    dinabordinabor Member Posts: 13
    Looking at the estimate, total: $2170.
    To illustrate, most signficant numbers on replaced parts (rounded numbers to give just an idea):
    Rear gate garnish - $387
    Rear bumper cover - $198
    Rear bumper Reinforcement Bar - $240

Paint, taxes, labor are extra... The other car insurance had taken the bill.

All Outlander replacement parts, as I was told, were OEM, original. The front was intact. The rear gate was pushed in a little bit and this was repaired. The other unfortunate car, Acura sedan, that ran into my bumper, looked way more miserable (grill, hood, front garnish trashed).
    Me and my wife appreciated the cross-utility even more after getting out of the car and comparing the results ...
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    $5000 to repair ours. Looks like we had more rear damage, along with front bumper, grille, metal piece behind both bumpers and one headlight assembly and some odds and ends. We'll see how it looks in a couple of weeks.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The accident wasn't your fault and I would insist on OEM parts. A lot of the aftermarket stuff comes from China and other places. It "can" be OK but often not.

Mitsubishi dealers are few and far apart so this may be part of the reason but I suspect it's a money thing.