Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Toyota Avalon

2»

Comments

• poorthingflintpoorthingflint Member Posts: 61
    With the addition of tire and wheel choices it would start to look like this:
    XLE base with 17"" wheels and tires
    XLE base with 18" wheels and tires
    XLE premium with 17" wheels and tires
    XLE premium with 18" wheels and tires
    And so on.
    Naturally you could limit the choices to certain models but the effect would be the same, a loss in economy of scale and added production costs per unit.
    Lexus charges more per unit for much the same car and offers more wheel and tire choices but the customer pays for the extra choices. Think I am wrong?see if you can find a ES 350 that list for $32,000.00 with full leather seats.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    2016, 2017, 2018, and so on, will be the real test.
    I was saying, drop one of the current models, and make the LTD a comfortable model, shocks and maybe seats would be all they'd have to do.

Skip
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I'm a big fan of Motorweek on the Velocity channel. This Tuesday they rated large sedans, specifically, the Avalon, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Maxima, Azera, Impala and I think the Taurus. Not surprisingly the Impala won. But what is surprising is that the Avalon did not even place in the top 4. I think the other finishers were the 300, Charger and the Azera, although my recollection of finishers 2 thru 4 may be faulty. (You can probably pullup the episode on motorweek.com).

Anyway, I know this is just one opinion, but the Avalon used to be the benchmark in just about everyone's opinion, including Motorweek & Consumer Reports, in the large sedan, non "luxury" category. It's a disappointment to Avy lovers like me, and probably Skip too.
    Sure is:) And based on my time with the 2013 Avalon, it's not surprising how it finished, albeit, maybe not against fair competition.

As much as I didn't like it, there's NO way in hell, I'd purchase a Ford, Chrysler, Dodge or Maxima over the Avalon, no way.

Now the Azera É maybe. The Impala, not sure.

I look at longevity, resell, RELIABILITY, and resale and I don't think many of these would or could compare.

Skip
    I would say that idea has merit but future sales and economic reality will make that choice. Frankly, from a personnel stand point I think it would work and generate additional sales if marketed properly. How about "Luxury Limited sedan"?
    :) The smile is because Toyota markets the current models as "Premium Luxury Sedans".

Most folks, most magazines agree, this is not the correct title for the current model.

Many have said, "Premium Luxury Sports Sedan" and or Premium Sedan, but NOT Luxury.

Skip
  • robnichrobnich Member Posts: 13
    Try to remember that Toyota specifically altered the 2013 Avalon models to appeal to younger buyers. They made no secret of the fact that they wanted to get away from the geriatric image and demographic appeal of prior Avalons and create more of a driver's car that would attract buyers in their 40s and 50s or even younger. Also note that the sales of the 2013 models, as of November, were well over twice (+155%) as great as for the 2012, so maybe they knew what they were doing.

Personally, I love the handling and ride of my 2013 Avalon Limited V6 -- it is close to a sports sedan and for me that is vastly preferable to the Beautyrest Mattress-on-Wheels ride of prior Avalons (as well as prior Buicks et al.) With the powerful V6, it is an exciting car that is fun to drive, and I have found it very well-appointed and comfortable as well. It's darn good-looking, too.

There is a clear trend toward stiffer, better handling suspensions throughout the auto industry, here and abroad (consider the transformation of Cadillac, and even Buick (!), for example.)

Robert N.
    But that doesn't mean we have to like it:)

Skip
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Yes, you are correct, Toyota does have a younger buyer in mind. But we of the "comfort = soft ride" car buyer group feel left out after all these years. In fact, Toyota could have had us all with a softer ride option. But no, they did not do that... The new ones seem to be a great car and, yes, they are selling well compared to the prior model. I had to pass on the front end, ride and Limited price tag... and after 15 years and three Avalons went to another make. But if the ride ever gets softer and the grille changes a little I will be back looking, love the dependability, fit and finish, etc. And the hybrid is one of the best out there.
    I'm guessing that the older folks Toyota is speaking of, while they have the disposable income and many would have purchased (or in my case keep the 2013) had it been more like the Avalons of yesteryear, they also might not have purchased in the number they need / want, simply because the cars last, and their income doesn't.

Again I say, they could have simply made the LTD for folks who want ride and comfort, while not selling less, but in fact selling more, and this won't have cost them much if anything at all.

- Replace the shocks with other $?
    - Softer seats $?

While this would have been a big enough change for me to keep the car, there were other things I didn't like, BUT could have lived with.

And in hindsight I do wish I had waited and test drove a Hybrid, as I might have lived with all the things I didn't like, for the great MPG.

Oh well.

Skip
    If you read the problems they found with the Avalon they used in their comparison the word "Lemon" comes to mind. If my Avalon had the sort of issues there's had I would have insisted Toyota go into arbitration and they buy the car back! This sort of things happen with mass produced vehicals which is why the "Lemon Law" was enacted. Even premium brands like MB and BMW's have been bought back under the law and the pressure from lawyers and enraged customers.
  • stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    As an owner of 3 Avalons with the most recent being a 2011 Limited, I will NOT be buying a 4th generation model. I have tried on at least 3 occasions to purchase a 2013 Avalon, but each test drive left me unhappier. Too cramped for me. I also still can't get past the grille, though I love the large grille on an Audi.
    I know Toyota designed and built for a younger buyer . If I want a stiff sporty ride, I will buyer a....... not an Avalon. I had a corvette for that ride.
    Sales have improved triple digits over 2012, but will never approach the numbers achieved when they introduced the 3rd generation. They sold 95,318 in 2005 and sold 88,938 in 2006. This year they will hit 70,000 (64,778 thru Nov.) for 2013s. I bet that will go down every year as this model gets older just like it does with most cars.

As has stated here, they should make a Luxury Limited model to retain us who bought Avalons for room, luxury,cushy and comfort.
    Logic and sales point to the fact, they could have made this new design, the same size as the older models.

Keep the large trunk opening, the reclining rear seats (or gone with fold-down), keep the large spacious interior and made one of the 5 or so models (Let's say LTD), for those who got this model to where it is today.

LE, SE, Touring models, could have what they have, no changes, and they would have still sold has many young folks, and with the LTD being setup for me and others who want a quiet, comfortable driving Luxury Sedan - they would sell MORE!

4 Avalons later, (2008, 2011, 2013) and I have a 2012. There is a reason for this.

You, and others are right, the numbers will go down. Yes it won't be until they have sold a ton of them, it's just to bad they forgot about us, because they could have sold a ton more.

Skip
    In the interest of fairness there is a lot more competition in this market segment then there was when the first Avalon appeared. When you have the market pretty much to your self your sales will reflect it.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Totally agree with you Skip. Owned 3 Avalon's myself, 2001, 2005 and 2011, and bought another make after 3 test drives in the Avalon and couldn't get past the hard seats and harsh ride.

Bring back more comfortable seats, as in my new car, and a less harsh ride and I may come back to the Avalon too.
    I find it interesting how people react to the seats in the Avalon. CU rated the seats as comfortable and I suspect the drivers where all under 50. On a recent long trip one rear passenger felt the seat was a little firm the other found the seat just fine. One the return trip the passenger who found the seat too firm seamed to find a comfort zone and removed the cushion I had brought along just in case. I suspect the body start to adjust as the days go by(it was a 4 day trip) and the seat softens the more it is used as well. Personally I find the drivers seat very comfortable at this point with 10,000+ miles on the car after finding it a little too firm early on. The ride has also softened some as well and after enjoying the outstanding road manners of this vehicle over all sorts of road conditions at some pretty high speeds I think Toyota has given us a supper road car and I am a fan. I am 73 so I guess some of us seniors can learn to appreciate the new direction Toyota has chosen for the Avalon which would seem to indicate they mostly got it right.
  • davidinnvdavidinnv Member Posts: 15
    Initial impressions of 2014 Avalon Limited Hybrid: Picked up this vehicle two days ago and have driven it only 90 miles so far. Had planned to special order but dealer made it worthwhile to get a black one with gray interior that had not yet been put on the lot. It was loaded with every available option, including the tech package that includes the side-warning lights that I already appreciate. We have found the seats very comfortable, along with the ease of pairing and using our cell phones. Only minor annoyance so far is the sensitivity of the various touch-sensitive buttons surrounding and around the display screen. Just barely brushing any of the buttons while reaching to use an unrelated function inadvertently activates them. I'll have to learn to adjust my arm and hand motions when using any of these button-related features so that I engage only the function I want at any time. I'm not that much of a techie, so I hope I have explained this correctly. Also, found it a challenge to turn off the maps feature after playing around with it and deciding I will need it only occasionally.
    edited December 2013
    That's the same color combo we have and we really like it. I agree the soft touch controls are really brush by controls as well and can be a minor pain from time to but you learn to avoid it so its not ultimately a biggy. Our car is the 3.5 and my previous car was a Camry hybrid. Good car, but being retired we do not drive enough to make fuel cost important and love the power,smoothness and sound of the V6. Noticed in the current issue of Motor Trend the Caddy CTS got car of the year. The CTS 3.6 V6 with 321HP and 275LB-ft of torque could not out perform the Avalon in most areas of acceleration up to 100mph. Most telling was it was no faster in passing 45-65mph. Naturally it burned more gas to boot! Now don't get me wrong I am sure in many areas the $60-70,000.00 Caddy is the superior automobile but me thinks not 30 big ones better. Don't think it will be as reliable either.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84

Is anyone aware whether there has been a recent (June 2014) $250 increase in the MSRP for all 2014 Avalon models? "Build & price" websites such as edmunds.com (and others) all seem to reflect that new higher MSRP, but Toyota's own website doesn't yet, nor have I found any news of a June Toyota price increase on any automotive websites.

• blue_streetblue_street Member Posts: 1

I am afraid I must concur with numerous comments posted here. I have a '07 Touring that I absolutely LOVE. Soon going to hit the 200K mark. Thought I might trade for a new one but the "upgrade" makes a 2014 Avalon nearly indistinguishable from a Hyundai Sonata. Okay, I am not a "spring chicken" but I still have a number of driving years left in me and I was hoping to do it in a conservatively designed and priced sedan. Apparently it will not be a Toyota. That's so sad.

• jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123

You might want to look at the Impala, Taurus, or the Chrysler 300.

• jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I own a 2006 Avalon Limited, I'm 72, this was a good bang for my buck, you know what, SCREW Toyota, I have a Judge friend who has a 2013, he said Joe, IF I could take it back I would. I've owned THREE Toyota's, Corolla, Camry, Avalon, I am now looking at Audi's, BMW's & a Lexus GS. NOW, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN SAY THE LIMITED WITH 18 INCH WHEELS IS AS COMFORTABLE AS THE OLDER MODELS.So far Edmund' s, Consumers, Car & Driver & most people I spoke to said it sucks, as it rides hard.I don't want to take turns at 90MPH, I want a nicely appointed, comfortable, LARGE & safe car with an actual grill NOT A FREAKING CARNIVORE. Young buyer, yeah that worked out SO well with their SCION brand they're thinking of DROPPING IT. " Stupid Is As Stupid Does", like I said SCREW THEM, I can go elsewhere.
  • zandor60657zandor60657 Member Posts: 8
    It's the wheels. 18" rims with 225/45R18 tires. That's only 3.5mm more sidewall than the 245/40R18 tires that came on my Mercedes E550. E550 = V8 = sport model. I have a second set of 17" wheels with winter tires and they ride much better. Tire Rack says you can put 16" wheels on an Avalon, so the problem should be fixable if you're willing to spend the money for a new set of wheels and tires.