Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 High Oil Consumption-NO Signs

castinecastine Member Posts: 4
Mystery here: very low oil, near zero on the stick after ~ 4000 mi.
No leaks to be seen on engine, exhaust, ground. No oil in the cooling.
Trying now to monitor it more often. I change the oil + filter every 7-7500 mi. My experienced Subaru mechanic says to do it more often, like every 3K.
Ideas ?
What is the average oil use in Forester non-turbo engines around 2006 year ?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    edited July 2013
    There's nothing wrong with that oil change interval (7-7.5K). But, you should DEFINITELY check your oil more often than 4K miles. If you have (or suspect) no consumption issues, 1K should be tops on the intervals between checking. It is simply a prudent preventative measure to take. In your case, since you suspect an issue, I recommend you check it every fuel stop.

Hopefully, this was just an anomaly. The first thing to do is monitor it. I'm not sure what the average oil use is by these engines (mine is much, much lower!), but the manufacturer claims anything up to a quart per thousand miles is "normal." If you were 2-3 quarts low after 4K, you're within that range. Even if the car was burning that much, you wouldn't see it in the exhaust.

I have the same engine in my 2010 Forester (EJ25 SOHC), and I haven't yet needed to add oil with anything less than 10,000 miles. My last OCI was 9,035, and it read ~ 1/2 quart from the "full" mark when I changed it. Last year, when my OCI was approaching 16,000 miles, I added a quart at around the 12,000 mark. Still, I check it every third fill up (~every 1,000 miles).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • castinecastine Member Posts: 4
    Good advice...will do.
    Now for completely different problem: CEL + flashing cruise light. Code says: oxygen sensors. BUT: mechanic says replacing one or both MAY not solve the problem. This seems to be common on this engine.
    It is common on that engine, and many, many others. I don't think it has so much to do with the engine as the logic looping process and the interdependency of variables that can set off a code. I'm a little surprised that an oxygen sensor malfunction indicator would disable your cruise; I've never had such a code disable cruise on my vehicles, but then none of them that were experiencing such codes were as new as 2006. Maybe that's just a way to get the owner to pay more attention to it ("You can keep driving the car, but we're going to make it annoying for you!" :P ).

If your car is consuming oil or, possibly, small amounts of coolant, those impurities can definitely foul the oxygen sensors (especially coolant!).... the timing might not be all the coincidental. Replacing these things is pretty easy, even if the parts are rather expensive. The "facepalm" code I would often get on older vehicles is "P0420 Catalytic Converter Below Threshold." Nothing is more frustrating that taking the time, effort, and money to replace a catalytic converter that you *think* is on its way out, only to have the code return a few days later. :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • castinecastine Member Posts: 4
    Good response...
    Any experience with changing one of the 2 oxygen sensors that MAY solve the CEL and flashing cruise light ? Subaru mechanic says " forget it...waste of $$$"
    edited July 2013
    Not here. I was getting the Cat code (P0420) on my '96 Outback for the last year I owned it. I know it set many times, as I cleared the light every time it popped up (probably every week or two). After reading up on other experiences, I was not convinced that the catalytic converter was the issue.

I had about 200K on the car at the time, so I figured it was about time to replace sensors anyway. I was going to replace the oxygen sensors, EGR module, and the hoses in the vacuum system during summer of 2007, but lost the car in a crash during that preceding winter at about 220,000 miles, so I ended up with having to make a slightly larger investment (in the form of a new car) instead. :P

While it would be irresponsible for me to suggest that anyone throw parts at a problem in the hopes of solving an issue like this, I will say that, for any repair, you have to choose what you want to invest in fixing it based on perceived value for the car's future service, and things like the age and mileage of the car certainly come in to play.

I spent thousands in maintenance and repair, as well as many hours of my own blood, sweat, and tears, on my Outback over the 220K miles it accumulated. I don't consider any of that money wasted. ;)