Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus HS 250h Tire & Wheel Issues

pngopngo Member Posts: 1
I bought my Lexus hs250h new with Toyo Proxes A20 tires in 2010 - I believe they are rated for 50K miles. I ususally take public transportation so I only have 24K on these tires after three years. Imagine my surprise when I was told that I needed to replace my two front tires - they can see metal from a split in the tire shoulders - when I went in to have my tires rotated. The last time I rotated my tires was at 14K. Immediately, I was told I really needed a four wheel alignment. Aside from what I believe to be highly unsual wear, I agreed to have the alignment done for my vehicle.

Now the next surprise...the "before" alignment readings were all within range except for a toe condition with the left rear. That's it!

I asked the dealership where I had the work performed what could cause the unusual wear and was told that hybrids and LRR tires have exaggerated tire wear...24K is good. If not for the shoulder wear, I still had very good treads left on all four tires. Incidentally, my rear tires show shoulder wears as well but not anywhere near the level of wear as the front ones.

I asked if it has anything to do with the arms and suspensions/springs and was told no.

I am hesitant to accept the answer and hope someone can help me understand better what might be happening.

Comments

• mcitron1mcitron1 Member Posts: 6
    I just replaced mine at 40K and I had severe shoulder wear, front and rear. I was about to do an alignment.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    14K is a fairly long rotation interval. A friend who owns a tire shop recommends 6K.