Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Acura MDX transmission problem

disgusted23disgusted23 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Acura
I am the disappointed owner of the 2014 acura mdx. there is a grinding noise as the car moves through gears. Acura tells me it is a converter problem and there is no fix. Avoid this car. You can find a better investment!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Curious - have you've test driven other MDXs and do they all do it?
  • Options
    disgusted23disgusted23 Member Posts: 2
    Going in next week to drive others to determine if just mine, or all. I was told others had complained of same issue and Acura was aware of problem.
  • Options
    legendguy1legendguy1 Member Posts: 15
    I was wondering if the problem is with AWD? Where is the grinding noise sound like it is located?
    Thank you
  • Options
    pgh111pgh111 Member Posts: 11
    2014 MDX with Tech, 3000 miles. Loud clunk at low speed when turning. Mostly happens when turning into driveway, at about 3 mph. Anyone else experiencing similar issue? Initial thought was transmission dropping to 2nd gear, or possible sh-awd issue. Haven't ruled out new electric power steering.
  • Options
    nkm915nkm915 Member Posts: 2
    My 2014 MDX tech package makes the same grinding noise! It never did it in the beginning. It just started about 5 days ago and I've had mine since the beginning of October. I just thought I'd google "engine problems with 2014 MDX" low and behold I stumble across this forum. Disappointed and angry would be an understatement. I don't want to drive a $50K dollar "luxury" vehicle that makes grinding noises, especially if it can't be fixed! Thanks for sharing your information!
  • Options
    skrish08820skrish08820 Member Posts: 15

nkm915, Acura recalled 19K vehicles to fix missing bolt issues. Did you contact Acura for your problem since you vehicle falls within their problem period (May - Oct 2013)?

• Options
    jonas0111jonas0111 Member Posts: 8

I wonder if the issue with 2014 MDX described above is the smae issue the 2013 and 2014 RDX are experiencing. VCM cylinder changes creating vibration in the vehicle.

• Options
    bgautreabgautrea Member Posts: 1

The transmission on my 2014 MDX Tech FWD failed tonight. We started to drive home and the transmission wouldnt shift out of 1st gear. I tried to adjust to sport mode then back, and it shifted up another gear. Then I turned the car off and back on again and it threw a transmission system failure, emissions system failure, and lane departure warning failure light all at the same time.I only have 3600 miles on it too. Purchased in December. :(

• Options
    carbuyernow1carbuyernow1 Member Posts: 9

Did any notice load engine noise for 2014 MDX as in youtube video and other forums. Are there still problems with MDX that were purchased this year from January ? I want to purchase one if it all the problems are fixed in recent ones. My first luxury car, and I don't want to waste my time at dealer to do R & D and get upset about the purchase. I can purchase RX350 and live with it.
    Thanks much.

• Options
    nkm915nkm915 Member Posts: 2

@skrish08820 said:
    nkm915, Acura recalled 19K vehicles to fix missing bolt issues. Did you contact Acura for your problem since you vehicle falls within their problem period (May - Oct 2013)?

The recall was only for the AWD. The dealer said it is an issue when the MDX switches between 6 cylinders and 3 cylinders usually around speeds of 20, 40, and 60mph. They put clips on to stop the vibrating/grinding noise that myself and others have reported hearing. While it does fix the noise and vibrations, my car still hesitates between gear shifts. When I first got it, it was a very smooth drive. I imagine all Acura dealerships will be installing these clips on all the 2014 MDXs and hope no other future purchasers notice the change in cylinder shifts.

Before I took my car in to the dealer, I read a lot of forums where many people had the same issue and upon taking their MDX to their dealer, they were all told similar things like, "they were just hearing things," "its a perfectly normal sound," "it doesn't harm the car". I love my dealer because they were honest with me and told me these statements are what Corporate Acura has told them to tell the customers. They also said they didn't think these clips would fix the underlying problem but that these are the steps they have to take to comply with Corporate Acura. Unfortunately, I don't have time to keep bringing my MDX in for "repairs" so I will live with it.

Another issue that isn't as major but it does irk me--- when my car is idling…. it sounds like crap! It sounds just like the hooptie I traded in, before purchasing my first brand-new luxury vehicle. I only notice it when I am in a drive-thru and my car is still in drive but I have the brake on.

I just wanted to update everyone on my experience and my final thoughts on the matter--- I should have bought the Infinity SUV.

• Options
    skyltsemskyltsem Member Posts: 3

I think its a common problem for Acura. I found some other people who also face same problem. not only this series but also some other series like 2005 Acura RL. I think you have to contact with mechanic to prevent further damage.

Skyline Transmission Repair
    North East Citizens Action, Grand Rapids
    Michigan- 49525
    Phone number- (616) 200-8111

• Options
    aparmanaparman Member Posts: 2

I have the same problem as well, when backing out and turning, the wheel momentarily tightens along with a deep grinding sound. It also makes noise around 30-40 mph. There is something definitely wrong with the car. It also idles very loud. Seems mostly when I make right turns it also grabs the steering. This is really unsafe in my opinion. They better FIND a fix, you cant say, 'thanks for the $50,000 enjoy your new broken [non-permissible content removed] car' This is way bad for Acura's image and reputation. I thought I was buying a brand that I trust for reliability, not an out of the box defect. TWO THUMBS DOWN - ZERO GOLD STARS.

• Options
    aparmanaparman Member Posts: 2

For Immediate Release

Statement by Acura Regarding
    Propeller Shaft Recall: 2014 Acura MDX with AWD

• 19,197 Acura MDX vehicles equipped with all-wheel-drive (AWD) are being recalled in
    the United States.
    • Propeller shaft (driveshaft) bolts will be inspected and, if needed, tightened or replaced,
    at no charge
    • No customer complaints, crashes or injuries have been reported related to this issue

TORRANCE, Calif. – Dec. 13, 2013 – Acura will voluntarily recall 19,197 MDX
    vehicles equipped with all-wheel-drive (AWD) from the 2014 model-year in the U.S. to inspect
    and, if needed, tighten or replace bolts used to secure the propeller shaft, a component of the
    AWD system. During assembly, it is possible that one or more of the four bolts that attach a
    propeller shaft to a universal joint were not tightened properly. A bolt that is not properly
    fastened could loosen over time and fall out, possibly allowing one end of the propeller shaft to
    detach. A detached propeller shaft could cause excessive noise and possibly damage the vehicle
    while driving, increasing the risk of a crash. No customer complaints, crashes or injuries have
    been reported related to this issue, which was discovered during vehicle assembly.
    Acura is announcing this recall to encourage owners of all affected MDX vehicles to take
    them to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Acura.
    Mailed notification to customers will begin in mid-December 2013. Owners of these vehicles
    will be able to determine if their vehicles require inspection by going on-line at
    www.recalls.acura.com or by calling (800) 382-2238, and selecting option 4

• Options
    dbroodbroo Member Posts: 1

My wife's 2014 MDX started to make an odd chattering sound while driving. It had less than 800 miles. I thought it might be a traction control problem, but when we took it back to the dealer they diagnosed it as a major transmission failure. They ended up replacing the entire transmission and shipping ours back to Acura for a deep analysis. Because of the failure they gave us the 7 year/100,000 mile warranty for free.

• Options
    txgirl05txgirl05 Member Posts: 1
    My 2014 MDX has less than 600 miles on it. We bought it at the end of December, and I had a baby in January, so I'm not driving it very much. We have also noticed the grinding sounds at low speeds (40mph) as well as the weird 'clunker' sounds when the car is first started and while idling. After reading these experiences from others, to say I am worried would be an understatement. I have a $50k luxury vehicle. I should not have problems this soon, if at all! I will be taking it in, with my very impatient 5 month old, today. Will update later.