Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 2 Series

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited April 2015 in BMW
New model for 2014 - talk about it here.
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/2014/?sub=coupe

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Thanks - the M235i is on my radar
    for my next purchase...
    - Ray
    Always looking!
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited December 2013

Based on the Order Guide & Price Guide, this is my config.

Base $43,100

Metallic paint [ red, blue ? ] 550

ZCW Cold Weather Package $ 550

ZPP Premium Package $ 2,300

Dest & handling \ Delivery $ 925

Total = $47,425

• Ray

Hoping to see one at a dealer soon...

2022 X3 M40i
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490

Just "pre-ordered" my M235i today. Mineral gray exterior.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768

Nice..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sidnigansidnigan Member Posts: 2

Comes with LSD or is that an option on the M235i?

From the BMW release info:
    'The BMW M Performance limited-slip differential will be available as an accessory for the
    M235i Coupe.'

2022 X3 M40i
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

I'll wait to drive one. I hope the steering is substantially improved over the F30.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

3500 lbs is fairly heavy- about what my E24 M6 weighed. And no optional limited slip? Moronic; it was an option on my Club Sport and standard on my MS3. Even the latest GTI has one. A Z4 M Coupe or CPO Cayman S looks better all the time...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

3500 lbs is a bit of a porker--that's heavier than a 1965 Chevy Impala! But I don't think most drivers will miss an LSD do you?

edited January 2014

I'll miss an LSD, and more than a few will see the track- where lack of the proper diff will be a major hindrance. For years BMW offered an LSD across their model range- why can't they do it now? It's not like the an LSD requires additional safety or emission testing/certification. Mazda and VW do it- either offering it or making it standard on cars that cost less than $30k. How much trouble would it be to at least make it an option on top of the range Bimmers?

Well you know German engineers--I'm sure they have a complicated answer for this. But really, unless you're doing autocross, not having an LSD is fine for street driving. Still, you'd think for a car in the mid-$40K range......

edited January 2014

My view of the M235i, as of today:

Weight –

It appears likely to be a weight comparable to the 335iS that I leased in 2011, though I have seen no independent verification of a US spec. weight. Having recently driven a 3,500+ pound BMW for close to 30,000 miles, and given the size, level of performance & equipment – I personally have no issue with the weight.

Price –

2011 335iS - $53.5K with 7-speed auto \ DCT

2014 M235i - $44.0K with 8-speed ZF sport automatic

[ Edit: I initially reversed these 2 - oops ]

Performance –

It appears that the acceleration will be slightly better than that 335iS. With the tires & suspension specified, I expect that it will handle & ride incrementally better.

Size –

It appears to have enough interior and luggage room – for me.

Efficiency –

The EPA city MPG rating is 30% better than the 335iS.

The EPA highway MPG rating is 33% better.

In fact, the M235i highway number is 1 less than the VW GTI that I now drive.

Initial published reviews [ based on track & street driving in & around Vegas ] have been quite positive.

So – pending instrumented tests verifying the above – and my own test drive, the M235i is high on my ‘short list’ of contenders for my $s, next time around.

YMMV.

• Ray

Likely very late this year, or early 2015.

2022 X3 M40i

Edmunds has now published their 'first drive' review...

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/2014/road-test.html

2022 X3 M40i

If the steering is as dull and lifeless as the F30's rack, I'm not interested.

edited February 2014

Since I can not figure out how to place a link to another post, this is a copy of what I posed on the CCBA forum...

My BMW M235i test drive – first one available to drive here near Atlanta. [ Will probably drive another one within the next week or so. ]

Equip. = ZF A8 automatic, Blue over black, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg & heated seats.
    MSRP = $49,525 Not cheap, of course, but comparably equipped it would be several thousand less than the list price of the 2011 335iS I had.

Very quick. Feels about as quick as I remember the 335iS to be. [ R&T test numbers bear this out. ] Sounds great. It is quieter in Normal Mode than the 335iS was, though that distinct, straight 6 cylinder sound is clear & obvious - but not intrusive. The gearing [ 80 MPH in top gear = approx. 2,000 RPM ] means any engine & exhaust noise fades away completely at highway speeds. [ This also likely contributes to that EPA Highway rating of 32 MPG. Much better that the 335iS with DCT. ]

Comfortable and supportive front seats. I had no issues with the interior materials, fit or finish. Overall, the interior is much like the 335iS I had – nothing jarring there, to me.

I like the looks of the exterior. Styling is largely subjective, of course, but I just never warmed up to the 135.

The ride and handling compromise with the non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sports is excellent, as one would expect. Firm ride, certainly, but reasonably compliant. Ultimate handling capability is impossible to explore on a 10 minute test drive on public roads – I leave that to the automotive journalists and professional test drivers. [ Closed course, etc. ] 18” 225/40 fronts & 245/35 series rears. It looks to me like a spare wheel and tire would largely fill the trunk. I wonder is one would fit behind the passenger seat? [ Shrink wrapped, of course. ]

The automatic is excellent, in normal mode. I really like the fact that the paddles are always active. I use them a lot, for both up and down shifts – often just for fun. Shifts were quick & smooth, with no slop. I will try Sport \ Sport+ Modes at some point.

The steering was certainly OK to me. Though now electric, again, it felt very much as I remember the 335iS. No problems here for me.

Gripes = minor:
    I would prefer a slightly larger fuel tank – only 13.7 gal - really? 12 gal [ leaving a reasonable reserve ] times 30 MPG = 360 miles range. OK, I guess.
    I would prefer the option of a spare tire & wheel – and a place to put it.
    That is about it.

Unless something changes drastically in the automotive world over the next 12 months [ or I win the lottery ] I think this will likely be my next purchase.

Cheers,

• Ray

Back to BMW??

2022 X3 M40i

Ray..

The link is in the time stamp (or date stamp, if it's an older post)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ah - thanks you!

[ Not obvious to the uninformed... ]

2022 X3 M40i

@rayainsw said:
    Ah - thanks you!

[ Not obvious to the uninformed... ]

Not obvious to anyone.. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@rayainsw said:
    Since I can not figure out how to place a link to another post, this is a copy of what I posed on the CCBA forum...

My BMW M235i test drive – first one available to drive here near Atlanta. [ Will probably drive another one within the next week or so. ]

Equip. = ZF A8 automatic, Blue over black, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg & heated seats.
    MSRP = $49,525 Not cheap, of course, but comparably equipped it would be several thousand less than the list price of the 2011 335iS I had.

Very quick. Feels about as quick as I remember the 335iS to be. [ R&T test numbers bear this out. ] Sounds great. It is quieter in Normal Mode than the 335iS was, though that distinct, straight 6 cylinder sound is clear & obvious - but not intrusive. The gearing [ 80 MPH in top gear = approx. 2,000 RPM ] means any engine & exhaust noise fades away completely at highway speeds. [ This also likely contributes to that EPA Highway rating of 32 MPG. Much better that the 335iS with DCT. ]

Comfortable and supportive front seats. I had no issues with the interior materials, fit or finish. Overall, the interior is much like the 335iS I had – nothing jarring there, to me.

I like the looks of the exterior. Styling is largely subjective, of course, but I just never warmed up to the 135.

The ride and handling compromise with the non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sports is excellent, as one would expect. Firm ride, certainly, but reasonably compliant. Ultimate handling capability is impossible to explore on a 10 minute test drive on public roads – I leave that to the automotive journalists and professional test drivers. [ Closed course, etc. ] 18” 225/40 fronts & 245/35 series rears. It looks to me like a spare wheel and tire would largely fill the trunk. I wonder is one would fit behind the passenger seat? [ Shrink wrapped, of course. ]

The automatic is excellent, in normal mode. I really like the fact that the paddles are always active. I use them a lot, for both up and down shifts – often just for fun. Shifts were quick & smooth, with no slop. I will try Sport \ Sport+ Modes at some point.

The steering was certainly OK to me. Though now electric, again, it felt very much as I remember the 335iS. No problems here for me.

Gripes = minor:
    I would prefer a slightly larger fuel tank – only 13.7 gal - really? 12 gal [ leaving a reasonable reserve ] times 30 MPG = 360 miles range. OK, I guess.
    I would prefer the option of a spare tire & wheel – and a place to put it.
    That is about it.

Unless something changes drastically in the automotive world over the next 12 months [ or I win the lottery ] I think this will likely be my next purchase.

Cheers,

• Ray

Back to BMW??

Sounds like the same exact vehicle my dealer received last week. I have a M235i already on order, but I did a quick test drive and liked how the car felt.

The dealership also received a couple of 228's, a white one with tan interior and a red one with black insides.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a lot of enjoyment out of the car when it finally arrives...

busiris - When is it due?

Please report here once you have driven it a while?

Thanks,

• Ray

Excited for you . . .

2022 X3 M40i

As I understand it, BMW issues its next (2nd) 2-Series order allotment in early March. The 1st allotment was pretty much used up by BMW getting cars out to the entire dealership base.

I was told that I'm at the top (#1) for the dealership's 2nd allotment, and to expect delivery in May.

I'll report back as the order progresses through the system...

Just click on EVERYTHING.

edited March 2014
    2022 X3 M40i

I'm scheduled for delivery of my 235 on May 28 at the Performance Center. Should be an excellent day!

Nice!

Please post impressions here?

• Ray

Waiting now....

2022 X3 M40i

On the BMWUSA site I just saw that a "Moonroof Deletion" option has been added. Good show, Munich- now just make the LSD a factory installed option...

• kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58

I leased a loaded M235. Traded in 2010 135 drop top. Paid full sticker $51350 on a 3 year lease.

Mineral white/coral red
    Drivers assistance pkg
    Premium pkg
    Technology pkg
    Heated front seats
    harmon kardon premium sound

You must have wanted it really bad, huh?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    You must have wanted it really bad, huh?

My thoughts exactly....

• jddssc121jddssc121 Member Posts: 151

What's the May rates for a M235 36/15?

@jddssc121 said:
    What's the May rates for a M235 36/15?

.00130 MF and 60% residual. $1000 option credit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Nice... I think I'll take one of each..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    When I commented on the 1-series board that no one had posted anything in 14 months, one of the ever-helpful moderators pointed out that the 2-series has taken its place here in NA; the 1-series is only offered elsewhere (along with diesels that have manual transmissions and any number of other desireable combinations).

He's right. Here there haven't been any posts in 7-8 months. That's progress for sure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited April 2015
    Funny thing- I compared the M235i stick to a 2007 335i coupe stick. The 335i is only four inches longer and weighs just 67 lbs. more- and has a better F/R weight distribution. In acceleration the 2er doesn't pull away from the 3er until 90 mph. The 2er posts better handling and braking numbers, but I'd bet the farm that if the 3er was also wearing Pilot Super Sports the 335i would perform just as well- and possibly better.
    Makes you think...

• needmorespeedneedmorespeed Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Can you please give me the MF and residual for the 228i x-drive at 24/12 and 36/12?

Thanks!

Hi,

Can you please give me the MF and residual for the 228i x-drive at 24/12 and 36/12?

Thanks!

.00130 MF and 67%/61% residual.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator