Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Ford Mustang

akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
edited December 2013 in Ford
Discussion of the new 2015 Ford Mustang.

Comments

• Options
    Embargo ends tonight with reveal tomorrow but pics have already been leaked. Looks great to me - very svelte but still unmistakably mustang. Base engine is a 2.3L Ecoboost w/300+ hp and 300+ lb/ft. 200 lbs lighter than the current one. Will be sold globally.

• Options
    Sorry for the pic size - right click and "view image" if it gets cropped.
  • Options
    suzanneleesuzannelee Member Posts: 1
    I am an owner of its previous 2009 model. This is my first Mustang. After seeing 2015 model there is no doubt that this is going to be the best model of Mustang ever. According to BidnessETC Customers will have a choice of three engine options ranging from a 3.7 liter V6 providing close to 300 horsepower to a 5.0 liter V8, namely its GT coupe version which will produce 420 bhp. It has nice cockpit with a balance between analog dials and digital feedback. It will be the dynamic experience of driving the new car.
  • Options
    jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    I'm kind of 50 / 50 on this 6th gen design. I see too much Fusion in the front fascia and the tail panel is kind of blah to me, kind of out of place somewhat to me. It has a bit of boy-racer in the fascias and lower panels but the green-house is handsome. The rear glass area kind of reminds me of the 71-73 "flat"-back / i.e. aircraft carrier. The quarter panel crease that's inline with the door line looks out of place.

Interior treatment looks decent, will have to make final judgement on fit / finish when I can touch it.

I do like the power train options though I'm kind of confused with the info on the "5"-litre. With the supposed improvements to the valve train and heads I would expect it to have more than the 420 rating. Perhaps these improvements are actually for efficiency instead of hp increase? I'm wondering if the 2.3T is going to be badged SVO?

I really want to see the IRS setup. I pray it's not like the '99 - '04 SVT where it was nothing but a hacked together bunch of tubes and god-awful welds.

I think this car will do well here and overseas and hopefully will spawn a new Lincoln Mark coupe.

Balance of Old and New

First Look
  • Options
    They said "at least 420 hp" - it will be more than that. They're just holding out to see what Camaro has so they can beat it by 5 hp.

The IRS is actually from the Fusion. The control blade setup didn't work. There are a couple of articles showing the suspension details but I don't remember where they were posted.
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited December 2013
    Early this morning in Times Square

How does it stack up against the 2014 Camaro?

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    At the preview and in the info packets it was listed as 420. They're going to have to rate it more than 5hp over Camaro. They're tighter competitors than ever before so a 5hp more rating isn't going to cut it. They also have to account for the normal underrating or where the actual hp / tq numbers are taken.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ford already said the 5.0L was improved and would have "more than 420 hp" - they just haven't said how much more. There isn't any real difference between 420 hp and 430 hp - it's all about being able to claim that you have the most power, just like Ford did with the superduty diesel truck. So take whatever Camaro has at launch time and Ford will beat it by a few hp for bragging rights. They may even sandbag the real numbers initially just like they did with the superduty diesel.

Here is the quote:

The 5.0-liter V8 powers into a new generation with a host of upgrades that enable it to breathe better, especially at higher engine speeds. Many of these changes are derived from the lessons learned in developing the special edition 2013 Mustang Boss 302.

Getting air into the cylinders and exhaust out is the key to generating more power and torque from any engine, and that has been the focus of development on the V8, which features:

Larger intake valves
    Larger exhaust valves
    Revised intake camshafts
    Revised exhaust camshafts
    Stiffer valve springs – ensures that the valves close completely at high rpm
    New cylinder-head casting – revised ports that provide a straighter path to the valves for less-restrictive intake and exhaust flow; combustion chamber modifications accommodate larger valves
    Sinter forged connecting rods – lighter and more durable for high-rpm operation
    Redesigned piston tops – deeper cutouts clear the new larger valves
    Rebalanced forged crankshaft – supports higher-rpm operation

These upgrades are projected to generate more than 420 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque.
  • Options
    dolen28dolen28 Member Posts: 1
    WOW,
    2015 ford mustang- i was so excited to see it, now...

i think the front has a large "mouth" to it...much like the other fords are turming to...wide black hole and that's not a good thing. the headlights look like the camaro! really????...yuk!

the backend of the 15 mustang is bulging...like it has to "go" or something...very disappointed
  • Options
    Like I said - some won't like it but I think overall the vast majority of mustang buyers will like it and more importantly it will appeal to a significant number of import buyers who would not consider the current model. Not to mention Europe.

To me it looks much more svelte and modern - less blocky. It has a 370z thing too.
  • Options

I'm kind of mixed on the design. Like Akirby I see 370Z, I also see Honda Accord Coupe in the B-post area, perhaps due to a couple pics I saw in MT. The rear shot from MT reminds of an old IMSA car or an aftermarket light treatment available years ago. I think the front end is too Fusion, whereas the smaller cars use a mix of that and the older Ford Ka, i.e. Fiesta. It has some touches of BMW 1-Series and 4-Series, which I also think will help in EU, especially when equipped with the 2.3L.

Nothing really wrong with these, as I'm sure quite a few will love the design progression. It's kind of like the Corvette C5, C6, C7. People liked it, disliked it or were "eh, whatever".

Well, back to the snow.

• Options

Actually, with the exception of the swept back headlamps the 2015 front end is almost identical to the 2014 as viewed from the front. It's a lot more 2014 Mustang than 2014 Fusion.

• Options

I have to disagree; there is quite a bit of Fusion in the car, as with the core of Ford small and mid-size cars. The compact and subs are more Ford Ka from years back, which was actually ahead of its time with the oversized headlamp treatment.

Perhaps the upper portion / header of the grille but if you look at the whole frontal treatment it is lifted from the Fusion design language. The sweptback headlights you mention; the foglamp area; the surface trims, sharps and the sweeps of the lower valance; the way this blends / flows into the fenders; the shape of the main / upper grille surround on the sides - it's Fusion. Nothing wrong with this as stated before, this is the design language. No different that the Dodge cross-hair, Audi going back to the Auto Union design for their front grille treatment, VW plain-Janeing their front-end styling. I just wish the other makes didn't follow Audi with the bigmouth grille, turning a unique design into a big-mouth bass./ fugly sea of black. This has been taken too far IMO, but if it helps them with sales, great.

Again, you cannot just look at one element and say the whole design is previous gen; it is the whole. Perhaps it's because I've been in automotive design for over 20 years I can see design language from program to program, car to car.

• Options

I wasn't saying that it's not Fusion-like. But from that standpoint it's also not a complete departure from the 2014 model either. It looks like an evolution of the 2014 front end combined with the new Fusion and other Ford global vehicle design language.