Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Has anyone here used Zaino Bros wax? My brother has a 2002 CL-S (silver) and is thinking of getting some. On their web site it seems like it may be difficult to work with (smearing, long wait times to dry, etc.).

Any input from users would be helpful.
  • I thought I heard a can opener. Ah. I did. It appears lenscap just opened a can of worms.

This oughta be fun.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Do you remember the scene in "The Untouchables" when the woman walks her baby carriage across the battle zone between the agents and the mob? Right now, you're the baby in the carriage. Sorry.

If I were you, I'd ask the question again in the Zaino board. Then ask it again in the non-Zaino car mainenance board. You'll get lots of good info. Here, out in the open, you may just get shot up.

Take care. Really.
    Joe W.
  • There must be something in Zaino fumes that effects the obsessive-compulsive portion of the brain, or releases endorphins, or causes some kind of strange addiction.

It sounds like truly excellent stuff, not as difficult to use as it appears on paper. I plan on buying it soon myself, now that the rainy season is almost over. I'm looking forward to it.

However, the Zaino proponents here on Edmunds are just a little nutty. They seem to forget it is only a car polish. A car polish, for cryin' out loud! It's almost as if it's become their religion, and to doubt its abilities and greatness is to commit heresy and blasphemy.

Kinda kooky, no?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Geez, apparently there's some stuff that has gone on here that I am not aware of. Sorry if I offended anybody.

I know nothing about the product. I have only heard of it and wanted some more info before telling my brother to shell out $30-$70.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    lenscap-

LOL...... Have NO fear! The ONLY time we get a little nutty is when people who have never used the stuff knock it OR apply it and THEN read the directions because it came out crappy!

You can go into the Zaino topic and you can look at my pics. I have been using it since the summer of 1998- first on my "wonderful Chrysler 300M Motor Trend Car of the Year"(LOL) and now on my 2001 CL-S. It does sound more complicated than it really is.

The initial steps might be "time-consuming", but after that, it's a cinch to keep it looking like my car. If you like a clean, shiny car without spending hours keeping it looking that way, then Zaino is for you.

Sal has a new additive called ZFX that eliminates Z1 and allows you to apply up to 3 coats of Z2 or Z5 and the Z6 in ONE day with NO wait times!

If you use the product sparingly like you're supposed to and don't use it when the humidity is 98%, you won't have any smearing. I'm just thinking now that maybe the ZFX isn't affected by humidity? Not sure. Ask Sal. He's great at answering e-mails OR just call him. He always answers the phone.

To see my Zaino pics, click on my name above. I think I have them all in there. With photopoint.com disappearing into cyberspace, I had to find a new place to post my pics. Right after I send this, I'll check my profile and see if I have room for anymore URL's with pics. ;-))

fastdriver

PS IF you go into the wax topic that says NO ZAINO POSTS, don't even MENTION the Z word because THEY will pounce on you! If my pics don't convince you, nothing will. BTW, I do NOT spend 24/7 polishing the car to keep it looking that way!
  • vineee1vineee1 Member Posts: 16
    WELL HERE WE GO,I HAVE A 5WEEK OLD CL-S AND IVE GIVEN IT THE ZAINO TREATMENT.THRU THE YEARS,ID RATHER NOT MENTION HOW MANY, IVE PROBABLY USED EVERY DAMN WAX/POLISH AVAILABLE AND THIS STUFF IS THE BEST. BECAUSE IT WAS BRAND NEW I DIDENT DO THE CLAY BAR ROUTINE WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE THE RIGHT THING. ALL I DID WAS WASH IT WITH DAWN TO REMOVE ANY DEALER WAX THAT MAY HAVE BEEN ON IT THEN I Z6 IT AND Z2 IT. WITH THE ZFX. I HAVE 3 COATS ON NOW WITH THE FOURTH DUE THIS WEEK-END. INBETWEEN I HAVE BEEN USEING THE Z2 WHICH IS GREAT STUFF. I ALSO HAVE SILVER AND I DONT THINK THE THE SHINE CAN BE APPRECIATED AS MUCH AS A DARKER COLOR,I ALMOST WISH I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH BLACK. BUT ANYWAY I DONT KNOW WHAT IS IN THIS STUFF BUT HARDLY ANYTHING CLINGS TO IT AND WHATEVER DOES WIPES OFF WITH SUCH EASE(TAR ETC.) I WOULD DEF. GIVE IT A SHOT.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    I looked at your pics...nice. So what process do you use, which Zaino products and in what order, and how often? Do you have any tips based on your experience with the product? Thanks-
    danny25-

Thanks. I clean the car when the weather is good and I feel like it. I have used the Z1, Z2, Z5 and Z6. Now I'll be using the ZFX, Z2, Z5 and Z6. There is no time sequence when I apply Z. It depends on my mood. I apply very lightly with Sal's applicators. I use 100% white cotton towels, but not the gigantic bath size. I wipe off the car quickly with the Absorber and finish up with the towel. Very quick.

Even dirty, my car looks clean. I did clay this car, but I never clayed the 300M. To me, that car looked just as good as this car does. I did NOT have the dealer touch the car when they got it- NO WASH/NO WAX! I wouldn't even let them remove the plastic. The car will be 1 year old on 3/28 and is garaged every night. Oops- just remembered that I forgot to put it in the garage today. Be right back.

Guess none of this is much help, but I have no schedule.

fastdriver
    DOES ANYONE KNOW A SITE THAT I CAN ORDER A SET OF CHROME ACURA LIC. PLATE FRAMES.,THANKS
    fastdriver-
    Thanks, that did help, now I know what Zaino products to use. Just a couple more questions (sorry). Do you order them from the Zaino website or is there a store that sells Zaino? And what are Sal's applicators, and the Absorber?
    Thanks-
    danny25-

Sorry- I thought you were a Zaino user already. I order all my stuff from Sal. There might be a distributor in your area, but you'll have to ask Sal. I have not been to his site recently, but he does not take credit cards, just checks. Your order is shipped right away.

Sal's applicators are 100% cotton wrapped/bound applicators that have to be HAND WASHED right after you use them to keep them in good shape. I use hot water and dishwashing liquid to clean them and let them air dry.

The Absorber is a chamois-like synthetic material that gets the big blobs of water off the car very quickly. It really does suck in a good sense. ;-)) A few wipes with the towels- Made in the USA- and you're done.

Hope this helps. There is a Zaino topic here. Just do a search for it. The people there are very helpful. Don't go that that OTHER topic and mention the Z word or they'll jump all over you. They like to keep waxing all the time to keep that shine. My car hasn't been Z'd since November and it looks good. Too cold to wash or Z although tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's so MAYBE I'll do both.

fastdriver
    fastdriver,
    No I've never used Zaino, I really don't have much experience with waxing cars. My CL is only my second new vehicle worth waxing. My first was a Ranger and the only wax I used was some free Armorall wax I got from an auto show.
    I have no idea who Sal is, I did a search to try and find the website you were talking about, but I didn't come up with anything. Would you mind posting a link?
    danny25-

Sorry again. A REAL newbie! ;-))

Sal is Sal Zaino. Just go here for all the info-

http://www.zainobros.com

fastdriver
    fastdriver-
    Yeah, I'm definately a Zaino newbie, or I will be after my first order. I think I'll be ordering my first supply this week, and I'm going to have to start reading the Zaino board. I appreciate all your help, and info, thanks.
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone know if the 6-speed is available for purchase yet?
    mapman1138-

YES!!!!!!!!!!! This month! Getting one?? Don't forget the ZAINO! ;-))

fastdriver
  • "Don't forget the Zaino" should be your signature.
    garypen-

Good idea. Thanks. 10,750 miles so far and not one problem. Car looks and runs great!

fastdriver
    Don't forget the Zaino.
  • I've got the order form right here.
    I was going to order ZFX, Z2, and Z6. Is that all I'll need? Should I use their clay bar, or can I use one from my local Kragen's?
    What about Z5 for swirls and scratches? My Jaguar is 8 years old, and has some very fine swirls and scratches in the clearcoat.
    I've got plenty of dish detergent for the initial wash. Is a quality car wash like Meguires good for after-Zaino washing? I hope so. I've got a huge bottle of it!
    Please guide me, oh sensei who is wise in the ways of Zaino.
    garypen-

LOL...... NO expert, just followed Sal's directions BEFORE I used his products and read the Zaino topic here in TH and some other sites.

Since the Jag is 8 years old, I would get the clay from Sal AND his car wash so that you can use it as a lubricant for the clay. The Meguiars car wash should be okay AFTER the Zaino is on.

I would also get some Z5 for swirls and light scratches. If the scratches and swirls are more serious, you might need this http://www.mmm.com/market/automotive/product3.html

I would also get 2 bottles of Z6 because you will use that the most.

I have used the ZFX twice on my CL-S before it was available to the general public because I kept bugging Sal for a sample. Putting on 3 coats of Z2 or Z5 in one day is great. If it was still light out, I'd take a pic of my car right now, which is dirty, but doesn't look it. I last applied Zaino in November!

Of course, you'll need your 100%, white, cotton, Made in the USA towels. I also use Sal's applicators to apply the Z.

You sound like me- a skeptic. You'll see what your car looks like when you're done. The more coats, the better. The darker the color, the better the shine. Then you'll know for sure that I'm not full of bull and that my pics are real.

We probably should continue this discussion in the Zaino topic because we are way off topic here. Not that this site is active, but it's still not the place.

How come you're not doing the Z on the CL? Want to test the older car first? ;-)) Do the CL first!

Any further questions, just go to the Zaino topic. You can get there by clicking on my profile and then looking for the section that says- What I've been saying at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Hope this helps.

fastdriver
  • Wanna know why? It's because I drive the Jag. She drives the CL. She doesn't even wash it until I keep nudging her.
    I have never understood where the women-are-neater-than-men perception comes from.
    What leather products do you use on your CL? It must be tough with those perforated "S" seats. I prefer the smooth leather of the base model.
    I used Meguire's leather conditioner in my CL (see, I'm still on topic). It was definately a pain with the perforated seats, I finally had to go get an old toothbrush to brush all the conditioner out of the holes.
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    I use Lexol on my leather. Its a 2 bottle process. One for cleaning, one for conditining. I use a bunch of terry cloth covered sponges. One to apply, one to wipe, for each step. Since I apply the Lexol directly to the sponge instead of the leather, I've never had trouble with the perforations.
    garypen-

I hear you. If she doesn't even wash the CL, then she doesn't deserve Zaino. Stick to the Jag.

As for the leather, well, I have not cleaned/treated it yet. I still have the bottles of Zaino leather treatment that I ordered in 1998! ;-)) The previous 300M had dark gray leather that showed no dirt. This tan leather interior will probably get dirty some day before I get rid of it, but so far it's okay.

When and if I ever clean it, I'll let you know about the perforated seats. Others have had no problem with this.

Looks like a nice, "warm" day here in CT. Going to wash the CL now before the rain comes tonight and get some Z on it. I'll take a pic of what it looks like right now- dirty. You'll think I already washed it! Will post Z'd pics later if I have time.

fastdriver
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Has anyone seen the photos of the '03? With the body-colour grill and new alloys, it looks like Honda is trying to transform it (visually) into an Accord coupe. I'd have to give a new exterior makeover a thumbs down.
    i agree,esp. as far as the exterior.the interior changes are somewhat appealing though
    garypen-

Take a look. First few pics are before washing. The next few after washing and the last ones with one coat ZFX- NO Z6. Will label them better later.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=76629165303&n=383077978

fastdriver
  • You should clean and condition your leather regardless of how dirty it appears. It's important for the life of the leather.

When you say one coat of ZFX, do you mean ZFX plus Z2?

Pretty car. Exactly one month older than our silver CL.
    garypen-

Yep. ZFX and Z5. With this lighter colored interior, I did notice that it does need to be cleaned. I don't usually have the my cars long enough to worry about long term care for the leather.

fastdriver
  • You'd be surprised how much better the car looks inside, if you take care of the leather and vinyl surfaces. Considering the car you take with the exterior, I'm surprised you don't spend similar attention to the interior.
    Ours is charcoal, and I thought it had a dry, ashy, dull, and lifeless look from the factory.
    Some leather conditioner on the seats and door trim, and vinyl conditioner on the dash, console, door panels, makes a huge diff.
    Is Z5 the scratch and swirl formula? I forget.
    garypen-

I know. Aside from my seat, the rest of the car stays pretty clean. I also know someone who uses Lemon Pledge on the dash and the door panels. He said that it does not give a high gloss, but does look nice and smell nice.

Have to go. I'm in a workshop on Netscape Composer and have to work on a "sample" webpage! ;-)) NO cars!

fastdriver
  • Composer????? Blech. Use Dreamweaver.
    Anyone here considering trading in for an '03 6-speed?
    Oh yeah.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Hell yeah! Seeing the dealer tomorrow.
    Very nice. Firm ride, with some minor problems on small pavement imperfections. Great shifter & engine combination. Grabby clutch takes a little getting used to.

Make mine Aegean Blue!
    6 speed review from a stick driver (me) who can't wait to sell 01 CL-S for a 6MT.

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1091

Worth anteing up the dough for the 6? BTW, what's your impression of the new aluminum trim in the interior and the new alloys after having seen it up close? Is the new hand brake only for the manual or is it across the board?
    I think the 6 speed is worth it. But I regretted giving up the stick shortly after buying the CL-S two years ago. I love the CL, but missed the stick more than I expected. So for me, its worth almost anything to get it back. Especially on the CL-S.

I'm neutral on the aluminum trim. I have the bowling ball trim now. Either way is fine with me since I consider it a small detail. I didn't buy the car to stare at the trim pieces.

The hand brake is only on the manual. The autos keep the foot brake.
    Whatever it was, I'd call it innocuous. Nothing to get excited about.
    I don't really mind the automatic in the CL-S, but I hate the gated shifter. Somehow, after almost 2 years with it, it's still not intuitive. I find it tends to get hung up during shifting and I have to look down to maneuver it. That and the SS I think are gimmicks that I could do without.
  • imac1imac1 Member Posts: 4
    Just heard on the net about a recent Acura Technical Service Bulletin that talks about oil leaks caused by porous engine blocks. It supposed to apply to 2001-02 CL's, 1999-02 TL's and 2001-02 MDX's. Does anyone know more or experienced any similar problems?
    That's the first I've heard of it. And with all the whiners on Acura-CL I'm sure someone would have mentioned it. I have 35000 miles on my 01 CL-S with no leaks of any kind.
    In fact, I just checked the oil yesterday, and after 6000+ KM since the last change, the level is still right at the upper hole level. So it appears it didn't lose a drop! And looks pretty clean too. What a difference from the Prelude which required a top-up every 3500 KM.

But the cleanest running engine was my '95 Maxima. There were many times when I checked the oil and it looked like it was just put in.
    13,200 miles and no oil leaks here either. One year old in 7 days! Best car ever so far!

fastdriver
    even the Civic-based Canadian-exclusive Acura EL come with a 120 watt stereo whereas the CL-S only has a 100 watt system. Doesn't seem right :(
  • bmart418bmart418 Member Posts: 6
    My wife has a Sundance Gold 2001 type-S. I have generally kept a pretty good coat of wax on the car. However, I notice very fine pits in the paint. Obviously not removed by a mildly abrasive cleaner wax. Has anyone seen this? Thanks.
    it's not limited to Acura. When the wax got down you may have hit a big rainstorm or stuff on the street or whatever -- pollution, acid rain especially, pits the paint, chrome, even windows with a bit more time. (The windows on my house are coated with etchings that are in the surface due to this.)

Unless you have a garage, and then I'm all wrong.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    canadiancl-

I didn't think that BOSE advertised the watts of their radios because they are all different depending on the car they were designed for?

fastdriver
This discussion has been closed.