Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
  • rjbecker2rjbecker2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone:

This is my first posting, and I'd be grateful for any knowledge on this issue. I'll be leasing a new car in December 2002 (that's when I have to hand in my old leased car). Normally, that's the best time to get a new car, in my case the week of Christmas. But since Acura CL (and TL) will be changed for 2004, and become available in the spring of 2003, I was wondering about the availability of the 2003 CL-S this December. In other words, will Acura stop producing the 2003 coupe soon, with consequent reduction of availability when I'm ready to lease?

Thanks for any advice.

RJ
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Good thing it died right before 60k...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    if you check out acura-cl.com & acura-tl.com, you'll notice that you're not alone.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kp40mkp40m Member Posts: 19
    Anyone else driven a 2003 CL-S with the manual? I've driven two (at different dealers) and can only conclude that this car has quality control problems. The first one I drove had a clutch that engaged too soon (my opinion, but one that I've read in another review) and the shifting was very notchy. The second, had a clutch that engaged later and the shifting was much soother. However, the 2nd had the minor problem with the armrest cover not staying latched. This is a known problem so why aren't these fixed before leaving the factory or why isn't the dealer fixing this when they first get the car. It's embarassing for a car of this caliber to be exibiting these QC issues. I'm not a CL basher. I like this car but as these are my first experiences with Acura quality, I'm coming away less than impressed.
  • We've had our 2001 CL for over a year, and the only problem has been the moonroof rattle/squeak. The armrest cover has never been a problem. Is it a known problem? The moonroof is, and they issued a TSB, which our dealer utilized in his fix, which was perfect, BTW.

As an addendum to the dealer fix, the day after the repair we noticed the rear bumper cover was scuffed. Since the dealer's service dept was the likely reason for the scuffs, they agreed, insisted actually, that they pay to have the bumper repainted. That's customer service!

I have no problem with Acura/Honda quality at all, especially compared to my 2001 Chevy, and especially for the price ($26K).

One area that can stand improvement, though, is the thickness of the sheet metal, and the quality/durability of their paint.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    kp40m-

2001 CL-S, 17 months old and 17,700+ miles and not ONE problem. You are the FIRST one to mention an armrest problem. Never heard of this one. As for the 6-speed- never drove one. Not interested in shifting. The automatic is fine and fast enough for me. This is the best car I have ever owned! Love the "roar/rumble" of the dual exhausts when you floor it and leave everyone in the dust.

If you question Acura quality, go check out some Chrysler products. Better yet, ask people that you see in parking lots that have a DC product. See what they say. Better yet. Go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and check out the Technical Service Bulletins for DC products. Go back a few years. You'll see the SAME problems listed year, after year, after year! They are slow learners for sure

You'll come RUNNING back to Acura! ;-)))

fastdriver

• Not even the noisy moonroof? I thought everyone got that one.
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    I've been driving one since March, and have put about 7000 very happy miles on it. Mine has a clutch with very rapid take-up, just "off the floor", it grabs. This took me a few miles to adjust to, but now whenever I drive my wifes CR-V, I find that clutch to be a real pain to get used to - grabbing near the top of its travel.

I find the shifter to be typical Honda - very smooth and positive. If anything, the shift effort might be a bit too light. I don't find it to be notchy, although I can on occasion "get lost" in the gears. I think that a 5-speed probably would've been fine for the job, as the 3.2 liter motor has a very broad torque band.

As far as build quality goes - I've seen no flaws yet, and only one design issue: the fuel filler release can sometimes be balky.

If I could change anything, I'd make the car RWD, firm up the supension a bit, and trim off some of the excess length & weight. Minor quibbles, really, as the car has been everything that I expected from it.
    The motor is strong from the get go, but it really hits its stride from about 5k up to the redline. It hustles its 3700lbs (including li'l ol' me) along right well.

It seems to be a typical Honda 'plant. It likes to rev (unless its hot out).
    ??
    When the outside temperature hits some threshold (seems like about ninety F), the engine loses much of its power & willingness to rev. My guess is that it's the ECU retarding timing to prevent detonation. The difference between hot & cool weather driving in the CL-S (at least in *my* CL-S) is quite pronounced. The car becomes something of a slug.

The performance is completely independent of A/C use.

On a more upbeat note - I just replaced my stock shift knob with a Momo short anatomic knob. Tres cool!
  • When the outside temperature hits some threshold (seems like about ninety F), the engine loses much of its power

Not so with my base CL
    mapman1138-

Mmmm.. if that was the case, my CL-S should have been moving like a SLUG last week here in So. CT with the weather we had. Not so.

Are you using premium gas?

fastdriver
    Of course - 93 Octane.
  • dee35dee35 Member Posts: 11
    Hiya!

Haven't posted in about a year,now. I bought my CL-S in August of last year and 5 days later, WHAMMO...rear-ended on the highway! Spoiled my whole new car experience, especially after I got it back from the dealer's body shop in less than perfect shape. The word "Acura" was on a downhill slope and too low on the trunk. They made it right on the second try.

My car just hit 15,000 miles. It's going in for the recommended service. BTW, my car still kicks *ss and I use regular unleaded gas. I haven't noticed any wind noise from the moonroof. I haven't had any problems to date, except for some pesky paint chips on front of the car...I honestly think it was caused by bugs and that really ticks me off. I had better paint quality on my 1995 Grand Prix. It's got a dent in the roof from an acorn or pebble, I have no idea how it happened. The only thing I've noticed is a slight shudder when I brake from time to time. It's due for a brake inspection, anyway. I am surprised by a brake issue after only 1 year, though. I don't think I'm particularly hard on them, but my hubby might not agree. ;-P I just got a warning from a state trooper for speeding. Hee-hee! Must be that new laser, cause my radar detector didn't even give me a heads up. So, now I drive in the slower lane on cruise control to keep me out of trouble! The car just WANTS to do 80. I can't help it!
    I finally Zaino'd it in the Spring. It looks awesome and the dirt and bugs come right off now.
    Well, gotta go. Be good to your CL's!

Dee in NJ
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    All of 80 mph. Prolly too fast for a NJ driver, though.

I don't want to see any of you CL people doing any more than 60 max!
    verozahl-

HOW can you go more than 60 in NY OR NJ with all that traffic??? Come to CT and look for Dee's twin and you'll see 80 as I fly past you- conditions permitting of course. ;-))

fastdriver
  • How can you do 80 in CT with all those troopers around. They oughta call CT "The Speed Trap State". ;-)
    garypen -

I don't know what roads you travel on, but I-95 and I-91 RARELY have ANY State Police on them! I have NO clue WHERE they are, but it's not on those roads- at least when I'm on them. I know that every holiday, the CT State Police make a BIG thing about being on the roads looking for speeders and drunk drivers, but as far as I'm concerned, it's all talk and NO SHOW just like Chrysler's "award-winning 5-STAR" dealers!

What roads do you see them on?

fastdriver
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Here in Southern CA, if you are going less than 90mph, you better get out of the fast lane!!!

Obi
    Must be alot of donut shops on those routes!
    bodydouble-

Nope! They're both interstate highways. NO donut shops, not even Krispy Creme!

fastdriver
  • I've seen 'em on both I-95 and I-91. Connecticut is infamous for going after speeders. Ask any trucker or concert bus driver.
    garypen-

Well, truck drivers and concert bus drivers need to be curtailed a little. They're another breed altogether. Talk about tailgaters! Guess I've just been lucky then if there's that many out there. They're doing a good job of hiding.

fastdriver
  • anthony813anthony813 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Acura back in Dec 2000, and have 21K miles as of today

(note about noise in sunroof, try getting a conditioner for rubber, I used that one from Prolong Oil and it goes away, Armor all SUCKS don't even bothers, you need one that feels like conditioner for your hair)

I had to replace the transmission at about 10K miles. The new transmission does not shift smooth like the original did

My memory feature has never worked on the mirrors, it would put the mirror to a totally different position or just not move them at all. I never noticed till my mother needed to borry the car. I took it in, had her pick it up, and they go and tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. << I am pissed, going back this monday.

Now the button to turn the tilt off when putting the car in reverse doesn't work at all

Car had a ruff idol, seems to shake alot when in park and even when the car has already been driven

CD Player is already starting to get stuck with CDs and I don't even use it that much.

Navigation Systems has froze on me like your PC would but took like a day or two to work again, Iwould just get a blank screen.

MY biggest complaint is that before I even hit a 1000 mile I had to replace 3 tires, and I think they were not made to standard because I put 3 of the same tires back on (deal would not replace them) and they have held up to now. Also 2 rims got messed up because of the tires not taking the shock.

As far as everything else the car seems fine, I do smoke alot of cars, even 8 cyl cars.
    I can keep up with the Mustang GT for the most part and still keep ahead of these new model cars that the other dealers are coming out with to over do what Acura Did on the CL-S
    anthony813 -

Sounds like you should have made use of your state's lemon law. Also sounds like you caught a bad one. Happens to all car makers, so I've been told many times!

Maybe if you didn't smoke them so much, things would run a little better.

Hope things improve for you.

fastdriver
  • Smoking is bad for your car's health.
  • vaforniavafornia Member Posts: 11
    There is a used 1999 Acura 2.3Cl that has 69K on it around my area that I am looking to buy but the vehicle is a bank repo. The vehicle come with one original key no valet key and the owner manual is also missing. The bank said that the original owner hasn't pay payment on the vehicle in the past 3 months. The bank is asking for $10-11K. Does the price sound reasonable for this vehicle? Does anyone know of any major problems that I should look for when inspecting this vehicle during the test drive? If I was to buy this vehicle, where can I go to replace the key system, and owner manual?

Thanks you,
    Vafornia
    People who can't afford their car payments probably wouldn't have taken good care of their cars either. Maybe an over-generalization, but better safe than sorry.
  • The price sounds very good, especially $10K. Check the Edmunds TMV or Kelly Blue Book, and you'll see.

Give it the once over, yourself, to check the physical condition, and get a feel for how the deadbeats took care of it, And, a full inspection by an independant mechanic for around $100. There are even services that come to you or the dealer. I believe one is called "Lemonbusters.com"
  • clvtecclvtec Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say that I love Cl's.
    And acura-cl.com rules!!!
    clvtec-

You're right on both counts! This topic is relatively dead compared to acura-cl.com I think the people here are more "conservative" while the other topic is made up of younger people doing all kinds of mods to their cars and many having all kinds of problems.

fastdriver
  • Yeah. The biggest problem they seem to have there is with the shift and puncuation keys on their keyboards, followed closely by a failure of their spell-checkers.
    garypen-

Is their spell checker WORSE than what's here? ;-))

fastdriver
  • Oh yeah. Not as bad as the Honda or Integra forums at, let's say, Honda-Acura.net. But, definitely worse than in Town Hall.
    Yoo meen peeple acchully use tha spill chacher on Admonds?
    I was just browsing the consumer comments here on edmunds and it seems that most owners of the base CL models complain about rattyling sunroofs and sqeaky interior panels and of course transmission problems. Type S model owners love the power and handling. Type S 6 speed owners just flat out rave about the car.

What's everyone's opinion on the new Type S 17" wheels. They're nice, but I really like the old 5 spoke design. Do you think change was made for the sake of change?

I'm not sure if I've asked this already (please forgive me if I have), but are there any former Prelude owners here on the board? How does the CL compare to your Prelude?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

...but it's done the job so far. The manual transmission is one of Honda's best (and that's saying something). It handles well for a 3446 pound front-driver.

I'm not a big fan of the new 17" wheels - though I feel the same about the previous ones, also. I think that the change was made primarily because the old Type-S wheels (the 5-spoke jobbies) were particularly susceptible to curb rash. Whatever the reason, I hope to eventually relegate mine to winter duty, replacing them with something else for the warm part of the year.

I drove a '97 Prelude (base five-speed) from 3/97 to 2/00. Memory fades, but I recall the Prelude being a much better handler (though I did have the Mugen Sport Suspension on mine). It was very sharp for a front wheel drive car. The CL has the advantage in swankiness, however - and having 232 lb-ft of torque to work with is very nice.

I didn't much like the stock wheels on the Prelude, either.
    Mugen Sport Suspension? That must have set you back a little bit. I know from some of the other Prelude Forums that even a Mugen Exhaust is something like $900 or $1000 dollars. Everyone who has some sort of Mugen accessory on their car says it is well worth the money though.

I guess even stock the prelude would handle better due to its shorter wheelbase, and it weighs 400+ lbs less.

Back in '98, when I got mine (yes, I had the exhaust, too) it was $1300 - direct from King Motorsports. Truly a sweet sounding piece, too - if there is a comparable set available for the CL-S, I mean to have it before the stock exhaust wears out.

The suspension kit was also $1300, and in my mind was worth every penny. "Never go cheap, buy the best" is my motto when it comes to aftermarket parts.
    I had a 2000 Prelude SH for all of 6 months before I won an arbitration for a buyback due to a continuing problem with the ATTS shutting itself down (ATTS and Check Engine lights kept coming on). Even disregarding the ATTS problem, I must say I was somewhat disappointed with the 'Lude. I found the interior cramped, it was lacking in creature-comfort, had a fair bit of engine and road noise, and perhaps the most disappointing of all given Honda's reputation with manual trannies, was that the shifter was quite notchy. Also, I thought the car begged for a sixth gear. Highway revs were way too high even in 5th gear. On the positive side, I like the tidy exterior dimensions. The styling I thought was very classy and timeless. I also like the way the car would "tuck in" when you mash the throttle in mid-corner (when the ATTS was working).
  • drscoopdrscoop Member Posts: 3
    Just found this site and as the owner of a gorgeous San Marino Red 03 6sp with 3100 miles, I am still in motor head heaven. The car is incredibly quick and a beauty to behold.(only 4 coats of Zaino so far) My question regards gas mileage. My gas light comes on at about 235 miles and I am averaging 14-17 mpg in 50% highway, 50% city. I am driving with a pretty heavy foot wherever traffic conditions permit, but jeez with 91 Octane in the Denver area about $1.75/gal this is getting expensive! I see many other gas related threads with averages in the 22-24mpg range, and even quotes of 400 miles+ on a tank of gas. Is anyone else experiencing this situation?
    I've had my 6-speed for just over 5 months/7600 miles, and I've had much better luck: right around 22 mpg - mostly city driving. I'd suggest easing up on the gas pedal unless you really need it.
    I also have a feeling that you may be seeing poor gas mileage not just due to your driving habits, but also because of the mountainous environment (Denver) in which you live. Since the air is thinner (due to the higher elevation), your car is actually sucking in less air and producing less horsepower and you're giving it more gas to get it to go as fast as you want coupled with the fact you've probably been tooloing around with the AC on (robbing you of an additional 12-16 horsepower).

In areas of higher elevation, forced induction is the way to go. I remember reading in the Saab magazine that I receive that they drag raced a BMW 540i Sport Wagon (4.4L 282hp & 320 lb-ft torque V8) against a Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (2.3L Turbo 230hp & 252 lb ft torque I-4) at an airbase in Denver. The Saab's lowly 4 cylinder beat out the Big V8 of the BMW.

• drscoopdrscoop Member Posts: 3
    Mapman, I did do one whole tankful of gas driving like the proverbial "little old lady" driving 50/50 and mile mileage shot up to 18.9mpg. I never went over 4500rpm for the whole tank. I think ncccarguy is onto something regarding Denver's altitude. My previous MX-6 (2.5L V-6) ran great even at altitudes over 10,000 feet. And, that's without all the sophisticated technology of the 3.2S engine, and only a single exhaust. I will check with my dealer at the 3750 oil change and see what they say. Regarding going easy on the gas, it is (as some one much wiser than me said,) "A small price to pay." The response of this car to driver input is addicting!
  • prefabprefab Member Posts: 7
    hello all. i have a 2001 cl with 11,500 miles on it. i bought it new 14 months ago.
    i enjoy this car tremendously. i now consider the car broken in. my last 2 tanks
    of fuel resulted in 29 mpg. i have never gotten below 25 mpg a tank. i drive 80%
    of my miles on the highway and the remainder on city roads. this cl is getting
    better fuel economy than some 4 cylinder cars my friends drive.

zaino: i want my car to look nice and be protected from the elements. if i ordered one
    of every product suggested by the zaino people, i'd be spending roughly $170.00.
    are these products worth their costs?
    From what I've read (and heard), Zaino is well worth the price as long as you're willing to put a lot of time into using the product. Make sure you read the instructions carefully.

Personally I don't have the time to deal with Zaino, so I've been using other products.

• I think you only really need 2 or 3 of the products, for about $50 total. If I remember, there's a prep product, a main product, and a "quick-dry" additive for the main product. There might also be a touch up product. I can't remember.
    I've been using Mother's products, but Zaino users sure love their Zaino to the point of fanatacism and, quite often, insanity. It must be pretty good.
    Hmm, I wonder if it has something to do with inhalation of Zaino vapour? :)
This discussion has been closed.