Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I think were I go for my oil canges they use Quaker State or Valvoline.
    Today in New Jersey we had a 10 minute ice storm where big chunks of ice fell to the ground. The chunks of ice were so big they put dents in the hood, roof and trunk area. Not happy about it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Can they get the dents out using that paintless dent removal technique?
  • maddog721maddog721 Member Posts: 5
    My wife just received a post card from Acura regarding a Warranty Notification. She has a '01 CL (23K). Any idea what's going on? I've read about Transmissions (on "S" Type) and rotor warp but hers is a base CL.
    What did the notice say? That Acura is extending her warranty on the tranny?
    It looks like I will have an insurance adjuster come and take a look at the car. I will have to rent a car while the car is in a body shop getting fixed. There are some dents on the side of the car too in addition to the roof, trunk, and hood. I had gotten this car washed once every month since I owned it in September 2001. What a waste that looks like now. I'll either rent a Nissan Altima, Mitsubishi Galant, or Toyota Camry while the car is in the shop if they have any of those cars on the rental car lot. No small compacts for me.
    It's just a post cards with Vin # and Vehicle description. It asks we call an 800 number (Monday thur Friday) for an "Important Vehicle Warranty Information". I'll call it today to see what's up.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Is this from Honda/Acura? If not, my guess is its a solicitation to buy an extended warranty.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You hit the nail on the head. When I called, it was a for an extended warranty program. The card had a return address of Acura, Warranty Notification, from some place in CA.

Wife's breathing easier now.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    My 2001 CL-S is two years old today! 22,800 miles and not ONE problem so far! Man, this damned perceived Japanese reliability! ONCE, I thought I had a problem, but then it disappeared! :-))

Now I know why this topic is so dead! Nothing to complain about! Either that, or Edmunds drove the CL owners away too like they did the Chrysler 300M group when they mentioned the OTHER car group topics!

fastdriver
    It looks like I'll take the CL to a bodyshop tommorow and have them take a look at it. Pay the 500 dollar deductabile. I hope I never see another ice storm like that again. It beats the living crap out of your car. I guess stuff like this happens though.
  • rick27513rick27513 Member Posts: 29
    Just an FYI tip for '01 CL owners. I noticed the power window did not operate smoothly, sometimes the window appeared to "bounce" a bit as it moved, ONLY when going down. It has done this since new. Acura replaced the power-window drive assembly in the door last week. There is a BIG difference in the smoothness of operation... and I expect it will be more reliable after warranty expires.

You might want to take notice of how yours works with a critical eye, and ask your service department if there is an improved part.
    I don't know if it's just me and my imagination, but it seems the longer I own the CL-S, the more I dislike it's steering feel. I didn't notice it when the car was new (maybe because I was too in awe of the power) but I increasingly find the the steering kind of inprecise and lacking in road feel. I know there is no alignment problem because the car tracks straight and true. But the steering seems to lack a good on-centre feel (almost a loosey goosey feeling), plus it seems to need constant small corrections --- very tiring over an extended driving time. My wife's '02 Accord V6 even feels better, IMO.
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    Gordon, I've noticed the same thing in my CL-S. Very vague feel, especially at speeds under 50mph. It seems to get a little better above that point. If it weren't for the manual transmission, I'd be seriously bored with this car by now - it's just too isolated from the road for me.

Mike
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    This is the last year of the Acura CLs.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/business/0304/04/b03-127830.htm
    Mike, you took the words right out of my mouth. I mean you can only play with the throttle for so long. The aforementioned numb steering and the heft of the car makes it a bit of a chore when you want to toss it around a bit. Maybe Acura should make a coupe version of the TSX and stick the Type-S motor in it.
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    I don't know about that. Is there a coupe version of the Euro-Accord to base it off of? I think that the combination of a V6 and FWD just isn't the best way to go. Too danged nose-heavy!

In any case, I'm becoming ever more conscious of how heavy all cars have become lately. I've been toying with the idea of trading the CL-S in on a Civic Si, which weighs in at a pretty hefty 2744 lbs. It seems that in order to get a light, tossable car, you've got to give up every vestige of practicality, unless you're willing to settle for a Metro.
    I remember my first car, a '75 Civic hatchback, weighed only about 1500 lbs. Once I hit a dog. It got knocked down, but got back back up and ran away. If I hit a dog now with my CL-S.....
    I feel that kind of too(a little loose feel to it) but things still nice to drive. Oh yeah I got my estimate for my repair with dents on my CL. It came to a total of 4800 dollars. I'll just have to pay the 500 dollar deductable though. Its going to need a new hood and decklid. On the plus side, the engine feels alot better now. It feels faster when you press the gas now.
    Wow, I might just have to go out and put some dents in my car! :)
  • boongboong Member Posts: 5
    I am just about to get one.. Any recommendations on what
    I should pay?.. My dealers sticker in 33.7K.

Love to hear what people paid

Thanks in advance

Peter
    I would aim for no more than invoice since the CL will be discontinued next year and sales are currently dropping rapidly. The dealers know all this even if they don't know that you know.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I paid $27.6 for a non navi 6 speed new. But in march there was a $1000 dealer incentive (no longer active)
    I'd bet they come back with a even bigger one as we approach end of model year.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for Town Hall Trivia Night and member-to-member chat – come test your knowledge and chat with fellow members!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

See you there!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alanclsalancls Member Posts: 4
    My 2001 Acura CL-S hit 30000 miles last week and my wife heard some strange sounds from front-right bumper. I took the car to the dealer today. At first the service manager test drive the car and she told me everything is normal but I insist to have a technical guy try it. After the test drive, they keep the car and told me they will check it up. I got a call this afternoon and they told me my car has transmission problem and it cause the strange sound and they are going to keep my car for a week to order the parts to fix it.

Check your car carefully and turn off the radio when you are testing...
    Can you describe the strange sounds? Do you hear it only when the car is moving, or even idling in gear?

Also they cannot order parts to "fix" the transmission. They are under order from Honda to simply sway the tranny with a remanufactured unit from the factory.
    I had felt the same way about my CL-S, re/ steering response, particularly for the last year or so. I'm sure some of this feeling comes from getting "settled-in" to the car... learning it's habits & limits. BUT - I've found the TIRES were the biggest contributor to that problem. If you've got over 20 or 25k on those original Michelins, consider them the real culprit! I got 35k out of my original tires, and for the last 10k, I didn't realize how sh*tty they were until replaced! I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport-AS 225-50-17. You will be surprised at the improvement in feel and steering sensitivity. I've only driven them for 2K miles, but am still discovering the difference. 'Course, you could trade it in! (on a civic??)
    You may be on to something regarding tires 'cause I could've sworn the steering was better when the car (and tires) were newer.
  • alkanxalkanx Member Posts: 69
    Hi all, just got a new 03 CL 6 sp manual, it is pretty quick, I hope not to have any regrets. Any info that I need to be aware of is appreciated.

Thanks.
    AL.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    alkanx-

The only thing I can warn you about are CURBS!! Unless the wheels have been redesigned, they love curbs!

Other than that- good luck. You'll love this car. I have a red 01 CL-S that's 25 months old with about 22,000+ miles and not ONE problem! I love this car. Sorry to hear that they will not be making the 2-door anymore.

fastdriver
    New wheels do not have the same curb problems.. By the way ..My 6 speed clutch is not grabby at all. Maybe i have learned it or just got a lucky one.
    Thanks fastdriver, I'll keep that in mind & stay away from pot-holes.

I live in Fort Worth TX & we get hail-storms during spring season. Unfortunately after I had the car for the weekend, I found a couple of spots where hail might have hit the car. I called the dealership, they were a bit nervous & offered me another replacement, I said OK & I picked out another one & returned the one I had. I have a feeling that many of those cars had been hit, & if the damage was somewhat minor, the dealer would get it fixed & sell it as new.

Other than that, I like the car. Car & Driver did a road test on this back in July 2002 edition, the 0-60 on Acura CL-S was 5.8 sec, almost a tie with BMW (can't recall series), top speed was rated around 149 mph.

Enjoy..
    AL.
  • bhrobertsbhroberts Member Posts: 13
    I'm thinking of buying a 6 speed. I really liked the one I test drove. I was able to control the "grabby" clutch when shifting to 2nd by hesitating slightly in the middle when raising my clutch foot. Should become 2nd nature in a while.

But I'm considering a 2004 Subaru Impreza, too (Sport Wagon for practicality). Two very different cars. Two very different ideas, but one goes about as fast as the other. The Subaru is more nimble, practical, fun to drive. But the CL-S 6MT made me smile when I sat in it. I was seduced by the amenities, especially the perforated leather. It reminded me of my BMW 633csi (1980), but much better. I think I can get price down to at least invoice, maybe lower? What about resale value? Should I be concerned there?
    My front passenger seat has developed an annoying squeak. Seems to emanate from the seatback hinge 'cause if I reach over and put pressure on the seatback much of the squeak goes away. Anyone has experienced something similar?
    bhroberts: I have heard that Subaru(s) have low end torque problem. For example if you are on a small hill, you would need higher rpm to climb in a Subaru. I have had Nissans in the past, trany would not shift, the speed would stay the same without any drop in the rpm on a small climb. Acura's motor is similar to Nissan in this respect, its got a good low-end grunt. Toyotas are no-good in climb either, had a V6 Tacoma, even the wind would disrupt the cruise at 60 mph on top gear.

Thanks..
    AL.
  • bhrobertsbhroberts Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, we do have lots of hills here in Pittsburgh. So low end torque is important. On the other hand, we also get snow, so all-wheel-drive would be helpful. I'll remember that when I go to negotiate for my new CL.
  • headwindheadwind Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to ask other CL owners, I am currently in the market for a new car, what they think of the 6spd manual. I test drove a CL and a TSX. I hated the clutch in the CL and thought the extra grear was a waste. I have driven manuals for 35 years and won't own anything else. I got on the freeway and was easily up to 70 in 4th. I just shifted into 6th bypassing 5th. For most everyday driving 6 gears is impractical. I would prefer to have a higher topend to reduce RPM on the freeway. They just seemed to cram another gear in there that has no purpose. Needless to say I am unimpressed with the gearing on the CL and will be looking elsewhere for a practical 5 speed. I wondered what others who own 6speeds and have driven them for a while think. My impression is that they are more of a marketing technique than something I really need.
    I generally think the extra cog is not really necessary for high-torque, V6s and V8s. It's probably more for marketing bragging rights. They are very beneficial for cars such as the RSX and Preludes though.
  • cls6spdcls6spd Member Posts: 14
    Headwind - I too have been driving manual-transmission cars for many years (over 20), including a 5-speed Legend. IMO, the advantage of the 6-speed transmission is not apparent during high-speed cruising or acceleration. The extra cog allows tighter spacing between the lower gear ratios. This is very beneficial if you use the engine for braking by down shifting. The other advantage is that the engine's RPM is easy to control. In other words, regardless of your speed, the RPM can be kept high enough to tap into the engine's horsepower and torque band. Once you get used to the 6 speeds you'll wonder how you did without them.Incidentally, the RPM at 80 MPH is around 2900.
    P.S. The clutch does have a small degree of travel to control engagement/disengagement but I've gotten use to it. Really no big deal.
    I own a 6 speed and beg to differ. 6th in the CL is considerably taller than say the 5 speed 330i. And is taller than 6th in the G35 Sedan or Coupe. Its also considerably taller than the 5 speed Altima V-6. Its way taller than the Audi A4 1.8T. Do the spreadsheet math and this is readily apparent. At 75 mph I am at 2,600 rpm. Quite tall be manual standards. By the way just for completeness, the new Saab 9-3 6 speed 6th is even taller than the CL-S
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "Acura to kill slow-selling CL coupe in fall"

Krzys
  • jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    Today my local dealer will be attmepting to locate an Aegean Blue 6 speed CL-S, with and without navigation. I just want the one with the closest to zero miles as possible, and it will be flat-bedded to me here in metro Detroit.

I was thouroghly impressed with the interior and handling of the CL-S 5 speed auto I drove at the dealership. I had previously been considering a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 5 speed, but that deal ended when the dealership pulled one too many foiled attempts at wringing me out of every cent possible.

I'd like opinions from those with and without the navigation. With the 2.9% financing it is only about $35 extra a month for the navigation. Is it worth it? I would maybe use it once or twice a month, but it would more of a bragging rights feature for me.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Actually 2,600 RPM at 75 is not very tall gearing. That is around 28.84 Miles per 1,000 RPM.

Look at a corvette which runs around 40 miles per 1000 RPM. That translates to 1,875 RPM at 75. That is tall gearing.

Or better yet look a the 6-speed Accord Coupe which runs 32 miles per 1000 RPM. That translates to 2,340 rpm at 75.

Ideally rather than making a close ratio 6-speed , make a close ratio 5-speed and make 6th a very tall gear. The only reason car manufactures don't do this is that 6th would be really lethargic and you would have to downshift to pass and maybe even on hills.

Even better would be a wide ratio six-speed. If you wanted a better power gear leave it in fifth. For true high mileage flat cruising use 6th.

I am not sure why they are dropping the CL except that the Accord Coupe is pretty close to direct competition.

If gear with a wide ratio 6-speed and with 260 horsepower, the lame duck CL could of or should of gotten around 35 miles per gallon :) and still had good low-end performance.

I too only drive manuals!! and I bought my first new car in 1969, a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 with a 4-speed 365 horsepower 455 cubic inch engine. So go figure my years of driving :)

MidCow
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    There is a $1000 rebate to dealer and the going price for a 6-speed with NAV is around $30K even
    Midnight cowboy. The gearing in the 6 speed CL is taller than all the cars I mentioned in my first post on the subject. But I question some of your figures. I know that the 6 speed Accord coupe uses the same tires, has the same final drive ratio and uses the same gearbox with the same ratios. Therefore the same 6th gear mph/rpm. Your 32 mph/1000 rpm is not correct. Do your homework. I agree that a tall 6th gear is very useful. I was making the point that the CL 6 speed was taller than most. And it is.
    The CL-S (auto version) is a much better highway cruiser than it is a city dasher. On the highway, the steering tightens up nicely, the car tracks like a locomotive with good road feel, there's plenty of power to cruise at 100+ mph all day long with good passing power without having to jump down a couple of gears, and the car is relatively quiet even up to 90+ mph. But around the town the steering feels loose, the car corners ponderously, there are tiny little (but annoyingly noticeable) surges in the power delivery in light throttle situations, and throttle tip-in and throttle on-off are less than smooth.
  • samangsamang Member Posts: 43
    I need some info.
    My 01 CL is at the dealer for a new tranny. All was fine until last Saterday. Typical symptoms. Car has 65k miles. Bought it in Mar 2000, 3rd week after release.

My question is, did it do damage to other parts of drive train when it went to 2nd gear at 70mph? Also, I hear many who have lost more than 1 or 2 tranny's already. Comments appreciated.
    Samang, my 01 CL-S has 40k miles & no problems with the tranny yet. Can you (or anyone) describe the "typical" symptoms? I'm a little worried about that comment of the car going into 2nd gear at 70mph. Much of my driving is on the highway at 75mph. When it fails does it leave you stranded, or just limping home. Any clues on the actual root-cause, & what leads to failure?

Anyone know of any "intermittent" symptoms that could be reported to the dealer, so the tranny is replaced BEFORE failure on a road trip??
  • samangsamang Member Posts: 43
    IMHO, first symptom was that car drove a little different, especially after a scheduled service. Normally, after an oil change, the car drive smoother for the next 3000 miles or so (I do 7500 mi change with Mobil 1). But after my 60k service, it did not feel "refreshed" if you will. I just thought my car was getting a little age, no big deal.

Typical symptom for the tranny problem for 01-03 CL anf TL is shifting into 2nd for 2 or 3 seconds. It actually happened to my wife on night. And it happened 3 times, so I can't tell you what happens just before.

After that, it did have a slight high pitched whirring sound when driving, can't hear it except in a back alley with windows down. Also TCS and check engine light stays on.

Driving 30 mi to my dealer the next day, it did not down shift on me. However, it thumps a little when shifting from 4th to 5th. Something that normally very smooth. And also, shifting to 3rd for acceleration only brought up the rpm to red, without speed change. Felt like if you let the clutch out only half way on a manual car. But this is an auto.

Can't think of anything else. No, not stranded, just shocked for about 5 seconds when it happens.

I saw some posts on other boards where people have lost 2 or 3 trannies, and that it happened at 15k, 28k, etc. No one else seemed to have lost it as late as me, but then a lot of them were the "fast & furious" mod cars. At least one or two were lemmoned after 3 trannies. But I also heard it was lemmoned with prorated after subtracting you use of the car.

Mine was 65k, highway miles mostly 75-90mph.
This discussion has been closed.