Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours, but for whatever it's worth, it seems the noise is much more audible when the engine is running hot and when the car is idling in gear. I dropped my car off today to have a tensioner replaced but the service rep admitted they're not 100% sure that is the problem. They suspect it may be, and if nothing else, replacing it would eliminate it as a suspect.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    carguy58 :: in case you missed it in the Mazda 6 thread, yes I ditched my 3year old '01 CL w/ 36k miles.

One transmission problem was one too many for me, major car "problems" make me nervous [even with Acura 7/100k on the tranny]. Plus appears that the problem is bound to resurface, so I cut my losses.

Learned that even Hondas/Acuras are NOT bulletproof, contrary to popular belief.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    You had a 01 CL Type S didn't you? I have had my base CL since Sept 01 and no problems except for that noise I hear now. I didn't hear it tonight though. Maybe its just the noise from the vent because the A/C is on and something I didn't pay attention to last summer. I do understand why you traded your CL in. No cars are bulletproof. A car is man made any car by any make can have problems. You know I like Mazda 6 though. I don't plan on buying 1 though.
    Nope, I had the lonely CL-P, and I was kind of hoping the tranny problem(s) were isolated to the more powerful "S" [wrong, not so].
    I posted this over at the Zaino thread. I remember you getting your CL about the same time as I. You coming from a bad 300M experience, me a bad Olds Intrigue. Your comments & PIXs back then [3 years], were the main reason I switched to the Z stuff.

I notice you just experienced the CL tranny glitch, [I was notified via e-mail]. I also got nailed @36k, but had a pretty good experience on the repair side.

To me Acura simply tone down the AT, via ECU, and it really never had the same get up and go. Kind of masking the problem rather then fully addressing it.

I was just wondering if you plan on keeping your CL long term. I decided to ditch mine while the value of the car was still good [last year & new ones are heavily discounted], plus I feel the problem will re-occur as it has for others.
  • samangsamang Member Posts: 43
    Mine's a CL-P also, got nailed at 63k mi, last month. Everything is fixed, it does drive a little different, I actually like it. Still has power, just milder shifts.

rmd12345, my dealer has a small fleet of loaners, so ended up with an Enterprise. Acura pays $30+tax.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....on CarsDirect at my zip is $500 under dealer invoice. Using another 10 per cent for state tax/license/doc fee gives under 31k out the door.
    That is something to think about..........ez
  • alkanxalkanx Member Posts: 69
    Hi, anyone using mobil 1 filter for their CLS.....
  • napaneenapanee Member Posts: 12
    I'm on the verge of a new car and the Acrura is hight on the list.

C$ 23000 seems quite a lot for a gussied up Civic. Has anyone any experiece with or views on this car?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I would look up the dealer's invoice & go from there -- for a new one....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Subtract $1000 from invoice...dealer incentive on 2003 cl's

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

A Civic LX auto is about $21000 CAD. The most significant upgrades the EL offers, IMO, would be the 127HP engine, side airbags and alloys. So it's debatable whether the extra $$ is justified unless avoiding the stigma of the Civic's econocar image is important.
    First and foremeost the Acura 1.7 is a lot quieter. Then you add the alloys Si engine and side air bags. Still the question remains--is it a good buy. It does have the reputation for being stolen frequently
    Compared side-by-side, the EL looks decidedly more upscale. If that is important, then the EL would be a good buy. But for some, that may not matter. Both are economy cars at their basic roots, and some may not feel it is worth the $$ to cloak it with luxury trimming.
    Thanks for your responses. I think the quiet ride makes the extra $2-3000 worthwhile along with the upscale appointments. To bad the car is not available in the US I expect there would be many more opinions offered. Hard to beat a luxury Civic although I understand the marketing mavins decided it wouldn't sell in the US.
  • twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    I am looking at a 1997 Acura CL with 95000 miles. The owner is asking for $8900. She has been taking of the car(as she said) and have just done the 90000 service includes timing belts. What do you guys think of the car and price? How many miles will it last? Any thoughts?
    my 02 CL(Base) will be going into the repair shop on Monday to get the dings out of the car from the hail storm that happened a few months ago. In the meantime I wil be renting a compact car.
  • indysgold1indysgold1 Member Posts: 6
    I have had my CL-S for more than 3 years and have put more than 54000 miles on it. I have had no work done on it other than regular service. It still goes fast and looks like new.It's too bad they are going to stop making them.
    Well I drove the 2003 EL and the 2002 EL and decided to buy the 2002. I loose the completely auto a/c, the compartment under the armrest and the light sensitive dashboard but I saved about
    C$4500 and still have 2 years bumper to bumper and 4 additional years on much of the rest. Also its much quiter than the top of the line Civic and the Corolla. Not too bad.
  • jay238jay238 Member Posts: 13
    got a black on black 2001 CL-S with 66,000 miles and no problems...only scheduled maintenance. too bad it's being discontinued.......at least this car won't flood the roads like camrys, accords, bmw 3-series, etc!!!!
    The auto A/C is not that great anyway. In fact, I think the auto A/C on any Honda/Acura is not completely auto.
    Yeah, the auto AC mode is such that if we ever need to manually turn ON the fan from completely OFF position, we need to run the AC (turn on the compressor), then turn it off. Not very thought-out....I think.

AL.
    the A/C just seems to be either on or off. I don't really notice it "maintaining" the temperature that you have dialled in. Maybe I'm just expecting a level of sophistication that's not available.
    it looks like I am going to get my CL back on Tuesday. I'm driving a rental now. Its not comfortable when your sitting in the seat of the rental. I can't wait to get my car back.
    I bought a temperature gage, it has a probe built into it, I placed it inside the duct vanes, mine drops down to 42 deg F. When I keep the temp setting around 70, I have seen the gage going up & down many times...indication that AUTO mode does work....
  • c182skylanec182skylane Member Posts: 64
    Is Acura going to continue the $1000 dealer cash incentive on the CL in August?
    I just got my CL back yesterday. The dings are out of it. Nice new paint job. I was supposed to get it back a few days ago but that didn't happen. I'm trying get to get used to driving the CL again.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Hi Folks, I was just reading the September issue of Car & Driver...a review on the 2003 Accord Coupe EX V6 with a 6 speed. Something funny stuck out in the text, which is news to me. It reads:

"It would be lovely if Honda also offered the CL's limited-slip differential for the EX two-door. After all, the CL won't be needing it anymore, having joined the ranks of the dearly departed"

Huh? Has Acura decided to stop selling the CL? This is news to me! ???

Thanks!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    jkidd2-

Yep! A day late and a dollar short. It was announced sometime ago that the CL was going. Too bad, because I like 2-door cars. Guess the 2-door Accord is a better seller?

fastdriver

PS I just read that article too a few minutes ago.
    Yes my friend, that CL is a goner alright, probably did not sell well or Acura did not market that well enough or whatever might be the reason, could be the economic conditions we have these-days, but TL is still in the market with the same motor, TL does not have the same sporty feel & no 6 speed manual.

The replacement of CL is a 4-banger 200 hp Acura TSX, probably more to match Lexus IS-300, that 4-cyl does not have enough pep, 0-60 is slow in my opinion. I read an article in Car&Dr about new TL, that maybe something that ought to replace CL such as an option package for TL with same stuff we have on CL.

AL.
    Check out this link, it is slow to load up even with hi-speed internet but worth looking new pics of the TL w/ 6 sp manual. I have not read more into it yet....

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95- 5
    IMO, the fate of the CL was sealed the day it was introduced. It's designed wasn't "focused". It had a nice motor, but the car was too big and heavy to be truly sporty. It had a sporty-looking interior, but mixed in an awkward foot parking brake and tacky black faux wood. It didn't have Lexus-level luxury to appeal to the luxury crowd -- it had too many interior bits that looked like they came straight from the Accord parts bin. It didn't offer a manual tranny until later, but by then it was too late! Then to top in off, Honda then came out with the Accord 6-sp coupe, a car that essentially matched the CL's performance at a cheaper price.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    not exactly matched.. the Acura has an HSLD. Gives quite a different handeling feel.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Thanks for the info on the death of the CL...I hate to see it go...it sorta reminded me of this generations "Monte Carlo" and I suppose there is no room for "personal luxury" cars anymore. I didn't realize the TSX was its replacement though...thats sort of odd. I do like the new European Accord...I mean TSX though. :-)

Thanks again every one.

jkidd2
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    Actually, the new Accord coupe is right up there with the CL-S in price despite the CL having 20 more hp. I think Acura simply is the Buick division of Honda and as such, is better at selling 4 doors to businessman types. I'd bet if Honda came out with an RSX equivalent, Acura wouldn't sell 2 door coupes at all. Right now is a great time to buy a CL-S if you're planning on keeping it for a while. You can get a fully loaded CL-S w/o nav for 27-28k, which is a LOT of car for the money. We still have our gold 2001 CL-S and get daily comments on it, especially now that the "ugly gold" has become popular again (350Z, PT criser, Civic etc.). Also like the exclusivity of having one of only 900 made in that color. It's been flawless and Acura service goes the extra step over Honda.
    The average Acura buyer is alot younger than the Buick buyer. I am 23 and I don't like Buicks. Buick was alright in the 80's and made repectable looking cars but nothing in the 90's that Buick made caught my eye.
    I remember reading somewhere on the net, avg age of CL owners was over 35 with around 90k avg salary per year.

Acura/Honda folks must have something wrong with them, they did not come out with a V6 manual until recently. Every time I would read a road-test from pros, they would say, wheres the manual tranny...?
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Acura = Japanese Buick

I'll buy $0.25 worth of that.
    The last time I checked it was 47.
    japanese buick? my 6 speed CL is no buick.... have you ever driven one?
    What is that supposed to mean, what is your rational for calling Acura CLS a Buick....?
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    And not too far off the mark, either. Fine cars, bland looks.
  • mtracmtrac Member Posts: 4
    Have an opportunity to buy a Type-S Six-Speed. I like the car but am worried about parts as it ages, as I keep cars a while. Can anyone comment?

Also, dealer is asking invoice. Edmunds says TMV is $1,000 less. Again, does anyone have any recent experience shopping for one? Thanks.
    I keep my cars 12 - 14 years.. I cannot believe Honda will stop having parts for it. His price is high.. There is a $1,000 incentive from the factory to the dealer. Most dealers are passing it on to the customer. I paid $1,000 under invoice.
  • mtracmtrac Member Posts: 4
    JoeAndCarol2:

Is the $1,000 in addition to 2.9% financing or instead of? Thanks.
  • factoryfactory Member Posts: 1
    mtrac,

They are two different things. One ($1000) is dealer cashback (behind the scenes) and the other (2.9%) is customer incentive. If the dealer elects to "share" some of their $1K, it's an advantage to you, the consumer. They are not required to share the cashback, of course.

Jason
    Twice in the last month or 2, while accelerating moderately from a stop, the car did a double stumble. Actually, more than a stumble. I would describe it as "bucking". A double bucking, one right after the other. Like it was going to stall. But it didn't stall and the engine ran normal again after that. No abnormal revving or anything. Could this be a tranny problem symptom, or just one of those harmless "misfires" than happens to an engine from time to time?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    bodble2-

Sounds like the tranny to me. Mine did some funky things too just before it got real bad and had to be replaced.

Have the dealer check it out.

fastdriver
    Thanks for the reply. In your case, how much time/mileage elapsed between it first started doing funky things and it getting real bad?
This discussion has been closed.