Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

1293031323335»

Comments

• richot7richot7 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to locate the cabin filter on a 2001 CLS. I cannot find the info on its location?
  • rick27513rick27513 Member Posts: 29
    Cabin filter is behind the glove box. You need to remove the glove box, then actually cut a piece of plastic behind it. The old filter (2 pieces) can then be replaced. The piece of plastic you release by cutting is then turned sideways and re-used to hold the new filters in place with screws. I know this sounds confusing, but the replacement filter I bought at Autozone came with a printed instruction page, making it very easy to do. Check this site for instructions:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl698g.htm

It's for the TL, but is the same for the CL.
  • denouve2denouve2 Member Posts: 9
    I recently bought an '03 Type-S 6-speed with about 35K, and I have been entralled with this car ever since. From the sound of the motor to the easy shifts of the gearbox, this car has kept me very happy on the roads.

I had read many of the reviews about the V6 and auto tranny problems on the '01 and '02 model years, but I have yet to experience anything but the exceptional performer that this car is. It was clear that when Acura released this model with the 6-speed and limited-slip dif that they were returning to their more sporty rather than luxury roots.

A friend of mine recently bought a 330xi, and with the exception of a slight edge in handling, I'd take my Acura over the Bimmer in a minute... especially considering the price and Honda/Acura reputation for reliability.

It's obvious that Acura had to make a few equipment cuts to offer such an affordable car (ie: window switches borrowed directly from the Accord). My only other criticism would be the slightly below-average gas mileage on premium fuel (I average about 21 mpg), but it's tough to keep this car below 80 mph!

Anyone debating between the Accord coupe 6-speed and the CL-S 6-speed ought to reconsider. Acura has the better engine, build materials, and overall quality than any Honda I've driven, and I've owned two Accords.
  • mikeymike3mikeymike3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Acura lovers,

I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 CL 3.0 (w/ 74K) that is in really good shape. I just had a couple of questions for things I had noticed; I'm looking for tell-tale signs that could spell trouble. The most major thing that I noticed is that when the automatic transmission is changing gears, it transitions from gear to gear a little rough; almost like it's holding on to each gear too long before shifting. It's not too rough but to me it's noticeable. Could this be a sign that the transmission is petering out? (Since from what I understand, it's not an uncommon thing).

Also, with the keyless entry system, is there not a chirp or horn beeping sound when locking the car? (minor detail; just curious).

Thanks to anyone who can provide their input--
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    We have a 99 2.3 CL, bought new. The transmission issues were with the second gen cars (2001+). The first gen did not have many issues in this area, but I can't say for sure. Our is a manual 5 speed. I highly recommend this, we have 95,500 trouble free miles on ours. (still on original battery and struts, have replaced tires, exhaust, and timing belt).
    Forgot to answer your other question. The remote can be changed to not sound the horn. I have ours set this way. It's in the manual, some combination of button presses on the remote changes it.
  • dubb_cldubb_cl Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 97 Acura CL yesterday with only 87K on it... The alternator just went out... Luckily the dealership had it towed and all that stuff and are fixing it for free but i havent owned the car a day yet so it worries me... anyone else have a alternator prob? or anyone know if the 97 CL was affected by the so called transmission epidemic?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Since we have an existing topic focusing on the CL's transmission, I've moved the recent transmission-related posts there, where you can continue the discussion:
    Acura CL Transmission Questions

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• publichelperpublichelper Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I am considering buying a used 99 CL 2.3. It has 86K miles. Advice from members here on what to look for will be very helpful.

Saw lots of tranny issues here on 99 CL3.0. Has anyone encountered tranny problems with the 2.3CL?

TIA
    I assume this is an auto trans. I don't think the 4 cyl's had any transmission issues. The timing belt should be changed in the 90-100K range. With 86K, you are looking at that real soon. You should negotiate to have it done before buying it, or make sure to get a deduction off the price.
  • stutenstuten Member Posts: 2
    If you are looking at the fuse box on the passenger side, there is a small black square just to the left of the lowest fuse. It has "IDG 1.5" on it. Any clue as to what this is (is it a fuse?) and how to pull it out?

I ask because I believe something shorted in my fuse box and that thing emitted a small amount of smoke and now has a crack in the top of it. My door sensor (telling me my door is open) is no longer working. Not the end of the world, but it also means it won't turn my lights off for me, because it doesn't think you ever open the door.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • stutenstuten Member Posts: 2
    Well, I have determined that the mystery black object is a diode. I now only have to figure out how to pull that sucker out since the top of it is flush with the fuse box.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    Does anyone else think that this next accord coupe could be a very excellent CL? I mean, just look at the new coupe from the back and you will instantly know what i am talking about.
  • mferdzmferdz Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me on how to switch "ON" the fog lights on my 2001 CL type S? I can't find any switch on the dash board for the fog lights. thanks.
    In my mother's acura MDX the foglight switch is between the door and the steering column... below the air vent... hope that helps you.. if not read the car's driver's manual
    Didn't acura say it was trying to move upmarket and in doing so release another luxury coupe? Either TSX or TL... Both of which are based off of the honda accord euro/american platform.
  • huhu132huhu132 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 CL 2.2L, but I can't seem to find any performance parts for it. But one of my friends owns a 97 Accord which is also a 2.2L. My question is, would 2.2L Accord headers fit on my CL. It's the same with catbacks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm not a tuner guru, but I've interchanged many Honda/Acura parts from those years without any trouble. You should have no problem with an Accord performance package on your CL, and that 2.2 liter moter is practically identical.

Good luck!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .......sat in a 6M Acura CL-S a while back......

Nice car! But not one to spend ALL of my Naval Reserve $$$ upon......

So I laid in der weeds for awhile,...........

Now I drive (complete with factory warranty, extended warranty ad nauseum.......

a Honda coupe with the same nice 6M.

........the greenbacks I saved will buy a lot of Crown Royal.................

season's best, ez.....,,,,,,
    Well, it's hard to argue that! Nice choice. Those 6-speed Accords are pretty sweet, especially if you got the extended warranty. It's the same frame as the CL. Do you find much torque steer which all the editors criticize?

Do you still get the purple bag with Crown Royal?!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858

....Do you find much torque steer which all the editors criticize?

Do you still get the purple bag with Crown Royal?!

Torque steer on my AV6 6M much like CR's purple bag (in that it's there, but not the main event)....

best, ez....
  • mybenjemybenje Member Posts: 18
    I am about a week away from finalizing a deal on a 93 CL type S with 90 K and manual tranny. I know there have been some transmissions problems does that apply to the manual as well?
    How about the Automatic, what should I look for if I can only find an Automatic?

Thanks for your help,
    From what I've read, the automatic tranny problems applied to all model years from '01 to '03. Just be sure that it has an extended warranty if you buy the auto.

Personally, and of course I'm biased, the manual is the best. You don't have to worry about the tranny problems, and you'll be treated to one of the best transmissions around! I love mine.

Good luck!
  • racint55hillracint55hill Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 97 cl 3.0 and i want to put a better flowing exaust and was wondering if i cut off the stock muffler and but on a racing exaust would i have to change the parameters in the computer it has a cold air intake what would happen?
  • gwd9gwd9 Member Posts: 1
    98 Acura CL 2.3 will die at random times - at a stop light, pulling out of a parking lot, or going 50 mph on the interstate. I put the car in neutral (still coasting down the interstate), turn the key and it ALWAYS starts right up and runs like nothing happened. This will happen several times over a 2-3 day period then not happen again for several weeks or months. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • cencalspydercencalspyder Member Posts: 8
    my wife's 98 acura cl probably has a leak in the ac system. every other day i have to put freon in it. not only is that the problem, the car's temperature rises when the ac is on. first, what do i do bout the ac? should i try using the stop leak stuff? and second, why does the temperature rise when the ac is on? and what can i do bout it?
    my wife's 98 acura cl probably has a leak in the ac system. every other day i have to put freon in it. not only is that the problem, the car's temperature rises when the ac is on. first, what do i do bout the ac? should i try using the stop leak stuff? and second, why does the temperature rise when the ac is on? and what can i do bout it?
    my wife's acura cl is overheating only when the AC is on. normal driving with it off is ok. AC is a must with the california heat. Can anyone tell me why the car would overheat with the AC on? Please!? :confuse:
    my wife's acura cl is overheating only when the AC is on. normal driving with it off is ok. AC is a must with the california heat. Can anyone tell me why the car would overheat with the AC on? Please!? :confuse:
  • suavemsuavem Member Posts: 2
    I currently own an 1999 acura 3.0 cl, and cannot open my driver side door. I closed the door own day while inside and could not open the door from the inside, and out side. When I use my keyless entry remote, the lock opens (can also hear it open) but I just can't open it using both inside and outside handle). Someone said they don't think it is the fuse since the remote opens the lock. I now have to go via the passenger door which is very annoying. Can someone please give me a clue as to how to resolve this issue? Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.
  • stevebristevebri Member Posts: 8
    I had the same thing happen to me. The only thing to do is [shudder] go to the dealer and have them get the door open. It might have to be replaced as mine had to be replaced to the tune of $700.
  • JayG1989JayG1989 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I'm 19 and am currently looking to buy my second car - one that will be reliable and will be driven a below average amount. One of my prospects is an 03 Acura CL type S, it's fully loaded including the Nav, 6-Disc in Dash CD Changer, and 6-Speed Manual. It is in excellent shape but I'm worried it has too many miles. The mileage clocks in at about 105,000 and is priced at $8888. I know we'll be able to work the price down but I'm worried that the mileage might be a problem in which the clutch might be done soon or there could be serious problems with the engine soon. I plan on keeping the car for 4 years as I'm a college student and am wondering if you guys can give some in-sight whether it will be reliable enough since it has so many miles. Thanks guys.
  • sr123sr123 Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a 99CL researched where its from and its from the east.I was just wundering if the 99s have galvanized body parts(fenders,1/4 panels and such)as they seem to use alot of salt in the winters out east and are subject to rusting on the older cars.Thanks sr123
    I've owned my '03 CL 6-speed for 3 years now, and I've never had an issue with it. I have 75K miles on it, and the biggest maintenance due is the timing belt, but that's a pretty routine item. If the original clutch has lasted 100K miles, that says something good about Acura quality. That may need to be replaced as regular maintenance. Prior to this I drove a '95 Accord (traded it with 215K miles for the CL), and prior to that, I had a Maxima which I drove to 225K miles. Says something about Japanese quality.
  • stevebristevebri Member Posts: 8
    I have A 99 cl 3.0 with auto trannie and I am sorry I bought it (off my sister no less). The driver side door lock froze ($700), the trannie went so I had it rebuilt ($2550), Paint job seems to be substandard, my celica after 10 years didn't have so many nicks in the paint. I'll never buy an Acura or a Honda ever again. Even after rebuilding the trannie, it still has problems in 1st and 2nd in stop and go traffic. Stay away from this car!!!!!!
  • acura1997acura1997 Member Posts: 1
    I need instructions in how take off my front seat belts for my acura cl? Help?

Thanks
  • dawnisindawnisin Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone helped with this door problem, as I am having the same?
  • singhanupsinghanup Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 1999 Acura CL 3.0 and its transmission just died. I just drove this for 130K miles and provided this is a Japanese car I am shocked to see this issue.

I will never by an Acura again.
  • nspaknspak Member Posts: 1
    i'm not having the same problem......i'm going to take the door panel off tomorrow morning...and see if it's going to be an easy fix...I'll keep you posted. Have you fixed your's yet??? Any advice would be appreciated....thanks!! I guess w 192,000 miles...these things will happen!
  • fred138fred138 Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem. As you probably know by now there is a recall on the ignition switch which is the cause of the problem.
This discussion has been closed.