Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    Hmmm.... I am sure that you could remove the fake wood trim and put in some aluminum trim to make it more sporty - do it yourself kind of job :)

Yeah, I did not like the trim originally, but I don't mind it anymore - even staring at it at stoplights =:)
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    i like kinda like it, it's kinda unique...but i refer to it as marble instead of wood...if acura called it marble, i think less people would complain.
  • paul_semmerpaul_semmer Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I own a '99 3.0CL. Bought it brand new in Nov. 99. I want to know if other 1st Ben 3.0CL owners have had the same problems that my CL has (I don't know whether this has been covered before, since I was too lazy to search through all the previous messages!)

The V6 in my CL burns approximately 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes. I use Moil 1 5W-30 synthetic and have used it since 10K miles. Currently the engine has 17K. When I picked my new CL up I asked the dealer if the oil should be changed at 1K miles, going along with the age old advice that it should, to flush out any casting material that may still linger in the engine. The dealer said there was no need to do that, and that I should leave the oil in the engine for 3750 miles. Of course, I was a bit skeptical of this, so I checked with their service department and they told me the same thing.

Now, this isn't the first new car that I've ever purchased. I also have a '90 Mazda MX-6 CT with turbocharged engine and a '99 Subaru Outback. With both of these cars, I changed the oil at 1K miles and neither of them, even the turbocharged Mazda at 62K, burns a drop of oil between oil changes (BMW, I always change oil and filter every 3K miles.) Does anyone else's V6 CL burn any oil? I am wondering if leaving the original oil in for that many miles could have been a mistake. Also, I drove my CL the same way during break in period that I did with both my other 2 cars.

Problem number 2 is with the CL's brakes. At about 13K miles I brought it in for warranty work because the brakes started to pulsate and squeal. The Acura service kept. ended up machining the disc rotors and replacing the pads, which made a big difference when I got the car back. Now, at 17K though, the pulsation and squealing have returned. I am planning on returning to the dealer soon and will demand that they replace the disc rotors instead of just machining the current ones. My cousin-in-law owned a Honda Accord and had many problems with the brakes and I was wondering if it could be a common problem among the CL/Accord line.

The CL also had transmission problems when I first got it. I don't know if anyone else has heard of the problem or had it, but I read that others had a problem with the engine shaking at lower RAMs. Well, my CL had the problem. The first time I brought the car back, the service department looked at it and said it was a known problem and that they were awaiting a fix from Acura. I had heard that some dealers replaced the torque converter, which helped. Well, at the time I just accepted it and drove with the annoying problem. Several months passed and my patience with the problem dissipated. I brought the car back again and demanded that something be done, that this was unacceptable for a brand new car. To make this long story short, they ended up replacing my entire transmission. The problem went away after that, although I did notice that with this new transmission, I'm running about 500 PM higher at 60 MPH than before. I believe engine turned at 2000 before, now it is 2500. I questioned it, but Acura said that the new transmissions were programmed a bit differently. It wasn't hurt my fuel consumption though.

I've also had the same rattling/buzzing noise from behind the gauge cluster that some have had. I didn't bother getting this looked at and the noise seems to have gone away as quick as it appeared.

Well, I know this is long, but I just wanted to know if anyone has had the oil consumption problem and the brake problem that my CL has.

Paul
    '99 3.0CL
    Flamenco Black Pearl/charcoal gray int
    17K miles
    K&N air filter, no other mods
    ...the stupid spell check replaced my original spelling even though I told it not to!

Ben ==> Gen
    Moil ==> Mobil
    MX-6 CT ==> MX-6 GT
    BMW ==> BTW
    RAMs ==> RPMs
    PM ==> RPM
    you might want to try asking the same questions at acura-cl.com - chances are you will get answers quicker

good luck
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    You are in the right place!

I used to own a 99 3.0 CL, that I traded in a few months back. I changed the oil the first time at 3500 miles, and it never burned any oil at all, because I checked the level every once and again and it was fine. I replaced my brakes (all 4 wheels) at 26,000 miles and they were only squeaking then because they were gone. Other than that, they were quiet for the whole ownership. Never had a tranny problem. It pulled just fine (besides always shifting into 2nd gear a little too quick).

I DID have the buzz behind the guage cluster, but Acura fixed that after the third time and it never returned.

Other than that, before I traded it in, I hadn't changed the oil in 7500 miles! It still looked good and drove fine.

I think I spent more getting my M3 back in perfect condition than I did in my entire ownership of the Acura. This is not a blast on BMW, but the work had to be done and I was willing to pay for it. The M drives like a dream and I am not dissapointed that I traded in my CL.

Hope this helps!

Obi
    1990 BMW M3 Alpinweiss II
    21,400 miles
  • lanninglanning Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 3.0Cl new in Sept '99. It now has 38,000 miles on it.

I followed the maintenace guidelines changing the oil every 3750 miles or so, and it does not burn oil.

My brakes started occasional squealing at about 30,000 miles, and I replaced them at 37,000. I actually thought this was too quick.

I've had no noticable rattles or buzzes. My only gripe has been the door alignment problem, which was discussed at length about a year and a half ago.

Given the rather plain appearance of the new CL, I'm very happy with my "last generation" model.

lanning
    wow - I am surprised that first generation CL owners popped up out of nowhere :))

Well, first generation CL is a nicely dressed up Accord while the second generation is an Accord on steroid. A coworker test drove a V-6 Accord and loved it - he used to drive a 90 Mustang GT. Then again, he currently drives a Civic.. yikes.
  • paharganj1paharganj1 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 98 3.0 CL that has about 36K miles. Is the warranty transferable? Acura dealer is offering an extended warranty for 50K bumper to bumper and 100K major stuff but the car is too expensive at 17K. I am looking at another 98 CL thru a newspaper ad that is going for 15.5K. Want to make sure I get the warranty

http://SalesCircular.com - no more buying newspapers for store circulars

for the quick responses!

I'm glad to hear that other 3.0CL owners and former owners are/were happy with their CLs.

I actually just checked my oil earlier this evening and it was where it should be. It's been about a month or so since I last changed it. Hopefully it will stay at that level.

As for the brakes, like I mentioned, I will be taking it back to the dealer and be demanding new disc rotors and pads. Other than that, the car runs well. I also, prefer the look of the 1st gen CL over the 2nd gen. 1st gens have a unique look to them, while the 2nd gen, although it is handsome, looks like most other sport coupes on the road today. I do wish that I could have the 260HP V6 from the CL Type-S though!!! Maybe the navi system too!

Is/was anyone dissatisfied with the performance of their 1st gen CL? While it is pretty quick, I feel that sometimes it's all I have to do to keep up with other cars on the road. I know the engine makes power at high RPMs, so you have to really lay into the engine sometimes just to keep up. Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna get dusted by some soccer mom in her Ford Windstar! I wish the aftermarket would make more affordable performance parts for the V6. I've heard rumors of a supercharger for the 3.0 V6, but I would bet that will probably run about 3 grand for a full upgrade kit. Unfortunately the aftermarket seems to cater to the rice boys and their Honda Civics.

Lately, I've been considering selling to get something a bit quicker. I would love an Audi S4, but they are a bit pricey for me (the wife and I just had a baby!) I've also been eyeing the Subaru WRX. It's really quick, although it is nowhere near as luxurious as my CL. I'll probably end up just keeping my CL until it's paid for.

Later!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    To all-

Bought my 2001 CL-S on March 28, 2001. So far, gas mileage in the 20's in everyday driving and no rattles or squeaks! Hope it stays this way. Think I have about 3,800 miles on it so far! CAN'T stop driving it and my commute to work in only 3 miles! LOL.....

I made a movie yesterday. Take a look! I think it's a riot. I even sent it to Acura. Think they need to spice up their CL ads- the two that I've seen so far!

Enjoy.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/SmashCast?u=912729&smashID=100086987&mode=view

fastdriver

nice movie, but stop showing my car !!! :D And what's up with the background music? You should use a song like "I can't drive 55" or "Born to be Wild" - some song like that... yeah...
    ineto6 -

LOL.. They only give you certain songs to choose from. Born to be Wild would be great too!

fastdriver
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    but why not play the whole song? Now it sounds like one of my old records that's stuck.
    I took my car in for the first oil change today and had them fix the moonroof rattle. What they did was tape all around the edge of the roof with a clear tape. The service manager said they used to lube it but found that the rattle would come back when the lube wore off, so Acura is now instructing dealers to use this tape. So far so good - quiet as a church on the way home.
    hmm, that sounds like any easy fix. do you know what kind of tape it is? and is it taped to the rubber or to the painted part of the car? if it's taped to the rubber, does it ruin the seal?
  • stonecanoestonecanoe Member Posts: 1
    I have test driven a number of 1998-1999 Acura CLs and would like to purchase one, but I find my lower-middle back begins to ache fairly quickly, right about where the lumbar support is. I fiddled around with the seat adjustments to no improvement. I found Accord seats the same effect. In Solara I was very comfortable. Am I just not built for Honda-type seats? Is there something I can do to make them comfortable for me? I read someone suggested thick sheepskin. Anything else?
    It is taped to the metal part - the edge of the moonroof opening. It is a thin clear tape, much like the kind used for pin-striping. Is is supposed to be Acura-authorized, so all dealers should know about it.
    I think it was you who posted awhile back about adjusting your hood to make it level with the fender by adjusting some pad underneath. Were you referring to the 2 black round rubber stoppers on either side of the hood? Are those things designed to be screwed and unscrewed to adjust the height of the hood, or were you improvising?
    yeah, I feel that the CL just doesn't have enough lumbar support - the Integra has a better lumbar support IMO. You could try buying one of those massaga pads that can be used in cars - my dad has one in his Maxima and he loves it. I kinda like it when I drive his car too.
    yeah, i'm talking about htose 2 hood bumpers. they are on pretty tight, and i just raised one of them like 2 or 3 turns and they were still as tight as when i started to turn it.

i don't know if they were designed for that or not, but i wasn't about to drive 40 minutes to a dealer and wait an hour for an 1/8" problem...and i'd feel more like an idiot if they ended up doing the same thing.
  • dustybdustyb Member Posts: 1
    This is the first time that I am posting a message. I have owned this car for about 6 months. Overall, I am extremely happy with my Acura CL, but I have a major complaint with the paint quality of the Monterey Blue Pearl. I consider myself a car fanatic, and I always wash the car by hand, and dry it with a chamois. The car has many fine scratches in the finish. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know why Acura discontinued this color?
    even my brother's 2000 BMW 528 has scratches - scratches... swirl marks. I think the paint is as thick as my ancient Integra. I already have some chips, but I'll live :)
    You will always have those fine scratches or swirl marks. On a dark coloured car they are more noticeable. You should thank your lucky star you don't have a black car!
  • hockeyguy1hockeyguy1 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with others that the CL is a great car, except for the seats. (My orthopedic surgeon always
    recommends Saabs for people with lower back problems since they have firm supportive seats, and
    I agree after driving one)
    Yep, the driver's seat needs a little more lumbar support - couldn't care less about the other seats :) Good side support though when the car is going into turns.

I just hope that the new Accord will be slower than the Type S for a couple more years - hmmmm

Oh - no more squeaks and rattles now that summer is here. I had similar problem with my previous Acura too - squeaking was more pronounced in colder weather.
  • spookroyspookroy Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying a 98 CL 3.0 automatic.with 32K miles. This car is coming off of a lease. Should I expect to pay less than the Edmunds indvividual sale price at an Acura dealership? Seems like they should have already made some profit off someone else. I still can't figure out the difference in the "premium" designation - can someone explain what makes it premium? Was this car offered with a 5 speed? If so, should I wait and find a stick? Thanks.
    the prev. generation cl was available in 6 and 4 cyl. the 4 cyl you can get with a 5 speed but not the 6 cyl (3.0 one vs. 2.2 or 2.3 or something). so you can get a 5spd in the 2.2 but have to settle for auto in the 3.0.

"premium" is the difference between the 2nd generations...cl premium and cl type-s. i don't know why it's premium, probably 'cuz it sounds better than "base".
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I lost my [non-permissible content removed] when I traded in my 99 3.0 CL! I lost a whopping $3,870 on trade in (payoff was $20,870 and I only got $17,000 out of it!)!

Plus, I am an auto broker and I still couldn't do any better! I wouldn't pay over $19,000 for that car. They DO NOT hold their value! Nobody seems to want these cars.

I liked mine. But I can see why the new style makes the old one obsolete.

Obi
    1990 BMW M3 Alpinweiss II
  • alarmproalarmpro Member Posts: 27
    I just read your postings and want to tell you the Amsoil is fantastic. The mileage has been higher than usual and the startups perfect. I have almost 6000 on the second tank of oil and it is clean and performing well. I sent a sample to the "Oil Analyzers" and the report was excellent. They said the oil showed slight metal ware but it was due to the newness of the engine. I plan on going 12-15000 on this tank of Amsoil. I plan on changing the filter at the 6 month mark.
    To change the subject, thanks to all for the info on the roof rattle. I will make sure the local Acura dealer corrects this situation. I am really pleased with my CL-S and will stand by my decision to buy this car over a Ford Cobra. Lee in Miami, Red/Tan Cl-S
  • joechicagojoechicago Member Posts: 2
    what is it about brand loyalty? i owned a 97 CL 3.0 and just traded it in for 01 CL Type S with Navi in silver. i absolutely love the car except for the rattling in the sunroof. i took it in and they put thin tape around the edge and it's been quiet ever since. what really pissed me off about my 97 CL is that the 99 Accord came out with the exact same V6 so i really hope that Honda does not suddenly decide to make an Accord Type S 260HP!
    I'll just think of my CL as a well-equipped version of the Accord if they do introduce the 260hp version of the Accord.
  • beantownyankeebeantownyankee Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I was wondering if you guys could offer me your opinions on these two cars. I am looking into buying a near-luxury coupe and can't decide on which one to get. Also, why is it that I don't see too many base model CL owners on this forum? Will I be chastised if I don't get the Type S? :) Personally I place more emphasis on ride quality than anything else. CL has been my dream car for a while, but a loaded SLE seems to be more reliable and easier to take care of....as I will have to park my car on the streets. Thanx a lot.
    Maybe the SLE is in your future. I've not driven it, but the Camry's ride is probably smoother than the CL. The speakers on the Solara is better than the Bose for the CL. Of course, the CL is sportier than the SLE. The best thing to do is take some test drives. You'll notice that the CL will have more standard equipment, not necessarily higher priced than similarly equipped Solara.

Good Luck
  • berkesndberkesnd Member Posts: 9
    I am a base (premium) model owner and have had my CL for over a year now. I've have had no problems with the car and have enjoyed every minute of driving it. If you are looking for a smoother ride then look at the Premium version rather than a S. Personally I found the ride of the Solara to be rather numb and boring but, as Ineto6 has pointed out, extensively test drive all the cars you are considering. I also park my car on the street and I can't see why you feel that the SEE will be easier to take care of or would be more reliable. Good luck
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    ok.. so here's one thing that I like about the CL. I'd drive up to an incline slowly - like you have stop - and let of the gas pedal. I don't even have to put my foot on the gas or brake pedal and the car would sit perfectly still. Try doing it that in a Civic or Integra :)
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    All that means is that the torque of the engine at idle is enough to hold off gravity. But in the mean time, your tranny fluid is churning and heating up. No good. If you're on an incline, use the brakes to hold the car, not the engine.
    Hmmm.. well, I could do the same thing in a manual without using brake... clutch and some gas. Yeah, just an experiment to show that your car won't slip back down the incline.
  • mb710327mb710327 Member Posts: 9
    Rumor has it that a 6 speed MANUAL will be available on the 2002 Acura CLs.
    Even if they had the 6-speed manual for 2001, I would still have gotten the auto. The CL-S's size and bulk would diminish the fun of driving a stick. Also in my opinion, the beefy clutch and tranny needed for the CL-S's power output would make it hard to drive smoothly.
    Hmmm.. I wonder where the e-brake will be once they put in the manual... on the driver's side or passenger side or the middle? Will they change it for the auto as well? Interesting - looks like some storage room might be compromised with an emergency hand brake.
    Now that's one change that I wish they had made. God do I hate that foot ebrake!
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    Someone posted a picture of the NSX's cockpit. The parking brake and gearshift occupy the space where our shifter is now. Brake on the right, gearshift of the left. Just imagine a short throw 6 speed gearshift right where our sportshift gate is. That's like the perfect placement for my arm length.
    The funny thing about the foot brake is that I am so used to it so whenever I would drive another car in the house I would lift my left foot to find the foot brake :) Yes, I did use foot brakes in older cars such as the Oldsmobile.

Yea, that placement for the hand brake would be good ergonomically and without wasting much space.
  • compuladycompulady Member Posts: 9
    I'm in the process of buying a new L. Since I do a lot of turnpike driving, I'm considering the purchase of the nose mask in an attempt to avoid stone marks. Will this help? Any opinions?

Does anyone know what invoice on the nose mask is? I thought perhaps I could work out a deal with the dealer when I pick up the car.
  • mb710327mb710327 Member Posts: 9
    For the sake of convenience, the manumatic is good enough for me. The CL Type-S manumatic plenty fast enough. I don't drive to street race.
    compulady-

The best place for the bra and mudguards and most other Acura stuff is here:

http://www.ahmotor.com/product/ahmcat7.htm

I bought the mudguards and bra from them.

fastdriver

another alternative for a nose mask would be 3M clear bra. I installed it recently. I had a nose mask in my previous car and that was fairly high maintenance for me. The cons are that the cost is a little high and you'll have to remove it probably 7 years down the road. Also, it can be tricky to install without any bubbles.
  • ibuycarnowibuycarnow Member Posts: 2
    This question is about the dealer hold back on a new 2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A) in Northern Virginia.

Invoice is $27,330
    MSRP is $29,980
    Destination is $480
    Hold Back is 2% of MSRP (about $600)

When I tried to lower my purchase price by telling the dealer I knew about their 2% hold back, he said that he does not get the hold back. He said that the franchise owner gets that money, not him.

That seems like a lie to me. What's the secret? What's the truth?
    is there such a thing as a "franchise" for a Honda/Acura dealer, or any car dealer for that matter? Or it's just double-talk. By "franchise owner", doesn't he just mean the owner of the dealer?
This discussion has been closed.