Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    canadiancl-

Right. The franchise owner, dealer owner, gets the money, not the salesman. That's probably what he meant. Makes sense to me.

fastdriver
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Your Profile puts the rest of ours to shame (in terms of the amount of info)!
    canadiancl-

Is that good or bad? I like cars, especially clean, shiny ones. That's why I use Zaino. What can I say?

fastdriver
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    cyranno99-

"I think that fastdriver belongs here :)WarpDrive "Fanatical car care behavior. Fess up!" Mar 21, 2001 12:48pm"

I don't get it??

fastdriver
    Oh.... I think that you should show them that you are just as fanatical about car cares as the next guy. Just for fun, of course.
    Not really good or bad. Lets face it, most of us that post here, especially CL-S owners, are fanatical about our cars in one way or another. In other words, our slogan is "Yes we are anal and damn proud of it!"
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    We just took it to the dealer for a detail job. It came back looking very fine and well worth the money.' They always call to see if the service they performed was satisfactory and I was pleased to compliment them. They said they would tell the man who did the work. What kind of life can we expect from the original front brake pads? We replaced the original battery about 6 months ago, and the tires at 43000 miles.. sound average? Bought Continental touring tires from Tire Rack and had them mounted at the local NTB dealer for $65.00. This is my wifes car. I would love to see her have an RL. Any time I go into the Acura dealer, I drool over the RL.
    If you're the one drooling over the RL, why would you love to see your wife have one, unless you want to let her buy it and you seduce her for the keys? Very tricky. I love it!
  • compuladycompulady Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased the CL-P. This car is a DREAM especially since I had been driving an 11 year old Mazda MX6.

I'd like some tips on maintaining it. Is there any tips for keeping the finish new (satin silver metallic color) such as type of soap, polish? Any particular cleaner recommended for the dash and leather seats?

What ever experience anyone wishes to share is most appreciated.
  • ibuycarnowibuycarnow Member Posts: 2
    My Acura dealership in Northern VA sells "teflon paint protection" for $300. Willing to give me a 50% discount and sell it for $150. Is this total garbage or is it valuable?
    cyranno99 & canadiancl-

I wouldn't quite call myself "anal" about the way my car looks. I'm not out there with a toothbrush cleaning every nook and cranny. I wash it when it's dirty and Zaino it when I can. I love that Zaino wet look shine. Have been using Zaino since the summer of 98. Sal is coming out with a new product that will eliminate the need for Z-1 and will allow you to put on multiple coats in one day. The new product also dries quicker, thus helping those people who claim they have to wait HOURS or overnight for the Zaino to dry. I've never had that problem myself and don't quite know what these people are doing wrong. I do know that some people think they can take shortcuts with Zaino and then complain that the results that me and others claim, never happened with their application. Some people also tend to read the directions AFTER they apply Zaino. I just don't get it.

compulady-

Go to http://www.zainobros.com and get this polish. You will not regret it! The original application takes time, but it's NOT difficult! The secrets are:

1. Use the clay bar and the blue DAWN dishwashing liquid.

2. Use VERY little. Just wet the applicator pad and wring it out, spray on some Z-6, and apply the Z2 or Z5 in an X pattern on the pad and squeeze it into the pad. The haze is VERY difficult to see especially on the silver. That's the way it should be.

3. Use white 100% Made in the USA towels. Anything else will scratch. Wash them in hot water with NO fabric softner or fabric sheets in the dryer.

These are the basics. There's more on Sal's site. Any questions- go to the Town Hall section on Zaino and ask there or call Sal.

ibuycarnow-

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! See above. It's a rip off and a profit maker for the dealer!

fastdriver
    To all-

Last month I ordered the official Acura bra from AH Motor. I used it 3 times for highway trips and found out this past Sunday that the "chrome" ACURA letters on the top bra and NOT real "chrome/silver", but a FOIL covering over the ugly metal underneath. I sent it back to AH who said they have to see what Acura says since it's their product. Kind of cheap thing to do to a $119.00 product. Anyway, was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If ACURA doesn't have real chrome letters, then I'm going to tell them to send me a supply of stick on foil letters so I can take care of the problem myself instead of paying to send it back to AH.

fastdriver
    fastdriver - as long as you take good care of your car, you'll be consider a fanatic by most people... it doesn't matter what they say as long as you are happy with what you have... that's the whole point with that topic :) Too bad that some people don't like to read directions when they use some products like Zaino. Anyway, your bra really looks bad. I'd just dye those letters instead of constantly glue the foils. In my case, I got 3M clear bra instead. Works great and very low maintenance.

compulady - I've been using Meguiar products for my car care. They have products for the paint (wax and car wash), leather, wheels and tires. Also, you should get a good dryer such as a synthetic chamois. A good quality wash mitt. Those things will reduce the chances of scratches on your paint. I'd avoid automated car wash, if possible.
    cyranno99-

A few hours ago I e-mailed AH Motor about the bra and quoted their warranty. I told them that I should not have to wait weeks for ACURA to look at the bra and give their okay to replace it. They called me and said that they were UPSing a new bra today. He told me that ALL the Acura bras are made the SAME way for all models and that NO ONE else has ever had this problem before and that he has seen no bulletin from Acura about this. Sounds like something my former award winning "5-STAR" Chrysler dealer would have said! ;-))))

He wanted to know if I took it through the car wash with the bra on! I said CAR WASH!!! I haven't been through an automatic car wash since 1990!!!! I told him that it has only been on the car 3 times since I got it last month. I also told him that I was calling Acura to see what the deal is because if it happens again, I don't think AH will cover it unless ACURA approves it.

I guess if that's the definition of car fanatic, then I'm number 1 on the list. I buy colors that look great when they're clean.

Will let you know what Acura says.

fastdriver
    at least, those AH guys are courteous enough to send you a replacement :) Oh, I used to have a bra for my old Integra for more than 6 years... they just use stitches, for the Integra letters, instead of foils. That bra is still in pretty good condition so I'll sell it cheap to an Integra owner.
    cyranno99-

Maybe that's the solution- embroider the ACURA name on the bra instead of using cheap foil. I'll see what happens when I get the new one.

I did call Acura. Got the same answer- never heard of this problem before! I'll keep an eye on this problem. Maybe it was just a fluke.

fastdriver
  • bjohnson71bjohnson71 Member Posts: 33
    For anyone near KC please join us for a TL / CL meet on Saturday, June 30th @ 1:00 pm at old Ward's store at Oak Park Mall.

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000058-3.html

Already got the new bra via UPS today. Looks like it's the SAME foil covered letters, but I'll see how it holds up.

The guy at AH Motor made SURE to enclose another installation sheet and WRITE IN under the Cleaning the nose mask section- "DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC CAR WASH w/ BRA INSTALLED!" I ALREADY told him that I do NOT go through car washes. I know that there is going to be a problem if these letters peel off too. This is the LAST thing I need- fighting with AH Motor OR Acura over this! I dealt with enough crapola with Chrysler in the 33 months I had my 99 300M to last a LIFETIME!

Time will tell.

fastdriver
  • EvandermelEvandermel Member Posts: 13
    Fastdriver,

From my experience, I would not be too concerned with a nose mask on the CL. The design of the car results in about 85% fewer stone chips on the hood and grill than that award winning predecessor of yours did.

Also, my dealings with A&H since 1997 have found them to be very customer sat oriented, they have always done me right. They market real Honda/Acura stuff at good prices. It sounds like this product may just have a bug in it. If the second one has the same flaw, I would get your money back, and put it towards a rear wing. My 2 cents.

Erik V.
    I just saw Acura advertise that until July 31, they are including, at no charge, a "sports package" for both the CL-P and CL-S. This package includes the rear spoiler, moonroof visor, locking wheel nuts and some woodgrain package. The whole thing must be worth approx. $1,000 CDN retail.
    Evandermel-

Good to hear from you again! After Christine and her sloping hood, I was NOT going to take any chances with hood chips early on with the CL. I had chips on Christine the FIRST week I got her. It went downhill from there!

Glad to hear that AH is a good company. A lot of people in the acura-cl.com topics order from them too. I wanted the REAL thing and not some aftermarket bra and mudguards. They were a lot cheaper then the dealer for the exact same thing.

So far, no chips! My fingers are crossed. I HAVE to stop driving it! I have 5,200 miles already since 3/28!! That's outrageous for me. I just love to drive it. I can't remember a car that I had that I enjoyed as much as this one. I might have to buy this one at the end of the lease if I go over my 15,000 mile limit a year! ;-))

I should have inquired about the spoiler when I got the car and added it into the lease. Same with the NAV system. It wouldn't have been that much more a month. Oh well, next time!

fastdriver
  • rj123rj123 Member Posts: 5
    CanadianCl, (or anyone),

Can you pls post the url of the Acura ad for the sport package? I'd like to use this ad in my negotiations if I decide to go through with buying a CL-S. Thanks.

-RJ
    canadiancl-

Why do you think sales are down? Don't ALL car companies/dealers offer all sorts of incentives at this time of the year to clear out the old to make room for the new? They do here in the USA!

fastdriver
  • mhoeffnermhoeffner Member Posts: 1
    Any comments on this posting? It's unfortunately a pretty low-traffic forum...
    /direct/view/.eea8a13/11
    rj123: Actually I saw the ad in the local newspaper, so it may be an incentive exclusive to the Canadian market.

fastdriver: you could be right. Low sales is just 1 explanation. Or Acura could be just trying to clear old stock, as you suggested, since the 2002 is rumoured to have some changes and most importantly, have the option of a 6-speed manual. But I do think CL sales have been slower than expected. In the past couple of months, I think I have seen more TL-S than CL-S.
  • ece3446ece3446 Member Posts: 32
    Hi,
    My old Mazda 626 just got into an accident and I am finally thinking of taking the plunge and buying a 97 or 98 Acura 2.2 or 2.3 cl. Any advice for me or stuff I should look out for ???

Thanks,
    Jaabs.
    Just thought I'd post the link of a few pics I took last night. The Zaino shine is evident.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=912729&a=13384233&p=50949354&f=0

fastdriver
    sorry to hear that. I'd advice to stay away from any modified Acuras. Those cars are most likely to be driven hard, in a bad way. You know that the first general CL is basically a dressed up Accord coupe so the reliability should be as good as an Accord. Good luck.

fastdriver - nice pics as usual. Although, the background is pretty good as well. I took a couple of pictures of my car near the beach.... oh yeah !!
  • phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    Fastdriver-
    Great pics. I love the shine. I have thought about getting some Zaino products for my Solara, but I am going to hold off spending the money since my lease is up in just a few months. When I get my next ride, I am definetely going to make the investement. I may get your advice on what to buy and how to apply.

Does anyone know if Acura-CL.com is down?

On the 2002, I spoke yesterday to an Acura sales rep I have been speaking to over the past few months. He was at an Acura function over the weekend for the RSX, and he did some asking around about the 2002 and the 6-speed rumors. No one from Acura would confirm or deny anything about it or at least that is what he told me. I am doubting the 6-speed rumors until I get the word that they are ready to be delivered/ordered.
    Later-
    PNC
    acura-cl will be until 6pm eastern as far as I know... for upgrading. The 6-speed will be available for 2002 CL, not TL yet.
    Thanks for the update on the website.

Do you feel pretty certain that the CL will get the 6-speed? I can find nothing to confirm outside of the Autoweek tidbit.

Thanks-
    PNC
    cyranno99-

Thanks. Beach scenes are nice too. I'll try that next. Maybe some from NH too on the 4th of July by the pond.

phatnastycat-

IF you wait to order the Zaino, maybe Sal will have the NEW and improved Z out- shines better, dries faster, no Z1 AND allows multiple coats in the SAME day!!! I can't wait!

Are you thinking of getting a CL? Get the type S. You'll love it. I think I have 4,600 or 4,700 miles on it already! That's only since 3/28/01!!! Work is 3 miles away!! I love this car! It's quiet, it's comfortable and it's FAST! Gas mileage has always been in the 20's. That's a mixture of city/highway and AC on and off. Never less then 300 miles per tank.

I think the people in the acura-cl.com topic who have problems are the ones with all the mods. It seems like they drive them hard. I have NO engine mods and I don't race people at every traffic light. I don't expect that I will have any problems. Go drive one and see for yourself.

fastdriver
    Hopefully by this Fall the new Zaino products will be out. Anything that makes it easier, especially for some new to using it like me, will be great. Look forward to hearing more about it.

Yes, I am considering getting a CL-S. I have been on a test drive a few times and really enjoyed it. I too wouldn't do any mods since I will be leasing. Besides, my daily commute doesn't include any trips through Hazard County, so I don't have a need for any added performance outside of what the car already provides. I leave that for Bo and Luke. : )
    I have read a lot on the Cl website about the problems with the actuator (sp?). Do you think this is something to be concerned about?
    The only other car I am seriously considering is the IS300. My preference is the CL-S because of all that comes standard. About all I'd want to add is a spoiler. I don't have a need or see the value in getting the Nav. IMO it's more something people get to say they have it. Of course, if you take a lot of road trips I could see the value.
    Anyway, that's kind of where I am on my next car purchase. It will probably come down to which car I can get the best deal on. Either way, I think I'll have a great car that will be reliable and fun to drive.
    Later-
    PNC
    but have you considered the 2002 Maxima/I35?
    260hp plus a bunch of additional goodies.
    phatnastycat-

Leasing mine too. No nav either. Figured that if I haven't been lost yet in 55 years, it won't happen anytime soon! LOL... I am a gadget freak and should have at least inquired about how much it would have added to the lease.

I've read about the actuator too. I don't think it's a major problem/concern. You have the 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty so there's not much to worry about. Also, it's easy to check and easy to fix. I've never checked mine, but when I step on the gas, this baby GOES!!!!!!!! I assume that mine is working!

Personally, I like the looks of the CL better then the IS. I'm sure that's a fine car too, but it never did anything for me, so I never bothered to look at one and drive it. Is it smaller then the CL? It looks it.

Good luck with whatever you get. Keep us informed.

fastdriver
    CanadianCL-
    I don't know a whole lot about the new I35. Do you when it will be available and where I can get some info on it? I have read about the Maxima, but a lot of the options that will make the car really fun to drive won't be fully available until Dec. according to the Nissan info I have read. Let me know what you know about the I35

Fastdriver-
    I say that having driven both cars that the IS300 is not quite as "roomy" inside as the CL. I do like the looks of both cars, though I think the CL could be a little more bolder in its styling. However, I really like the look of both cars. The new CL is a big improvement of the look of the original CL model. IMO, that was an ugly car.
    My wife would prefer I get the IS because of the 4-doors. She worries about the possibility of getting a baby seat (no children yet, but certaingly in the next 2 years) in and out of the back seat of a coupe. Though I think with the auto forwarding seats, it does allow for rather easy entry and exit. Plus I think the CL has more room in the backseats than in the IS.
    My Solara has very room backseats, and don't seem to be that hard to get in and out of.
    One question I have for you. Have you owned a manual before and how would you compare the driving experience of the SS to a true manual?
    Thanks-
    PNC
    6-speed - I am not too sure about it, but I think it is likely because the RSX will have it and there seems to be a demand for it. Even with FWD, the manual would make it more of a driver's car.

phat - you might want to consider the TL type S. I like the way they redesigned it. As for the Maxima, I'd wait for the new style in 2003 model. Then you might have the Infiniti G35 to make your choice more difficult :)
    phatnastycat-

I haven't owned a manual for YEARS! I do more around town driving then highway driving and hate shifting every two minutes. I'll stick with the 5-speed. I only use the SS on the Acura for slowing down, not starting off from a light.

fastdriver
    I would think twice about getting the CL if you plan on having kids within the next 2 years. The CL's back seat is fairly roomy for kids or not-too-tall & husky adults. But if you need to put baby car-seats back there, forget it. The shape of the rear seats is not conducive to car-seats. Plus those motorized front seats look impressive in the showroom but for practical use are rather slow. As cyranno suggested, if you like the performance and features of the CL-S, then consider the TL-S instead.
    Yes, I know some people hated it, but I have to share my thought on how to make shifting it fun. Very simple - firm and quick shift. That's how you can row through the gears smoothly. If you do it in a slow or even regular manner then it won't be as fun or as smooth. Just give it a try :) If you can row from Park to 1 in a smooth motion then you have mastered it, Grasshopper :))
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    I don't know, I think it's just something magazines have to complain about...they never complain about Mercedes having it or Mercedes having foot operated ebrakes either.

And now everyone's doing it (ie nissan/infiniti is putting gated shifters in their new cars now too!).
    that's what I really want - right on the steering wheel so you'll have more room on the floor for storage and things. MB's shifter is a little different from ours so maybe car critics like it more. I haven't seen any car makers marketing department touting the advantages of gated shifter. There must be some out there.

oh yah, I notice that the outside thermometer is a few degrees higher even at highway speed - anyway, I am too lazy to get that fixed.... maybe next service.
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    You can adjust the outside temp with the odometer buttons. Its in the manual. You can change the readout by +/-3.
    Do you try to manouver it through the pattern or just push/pull it straight up and down without even looking at it?
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    My 98 CL 2.3 Auto. was to be my last new car
    but it's sluggish performance makes me want more.
    Now Acura sends me a magazine with an article
    about the new 2002 RSX and gets me drooling again.
    Is there no end to their enticing ways? Anybody
    know what these will cost?Is 55 too old to want a
    car like this?Maybe I just haven't grown up yet.
    Next step after a Buick is the graveyard.By the way BEWARE of quick lube places.One caused an oil leak (bad filter) another left the brake fluid
    reservoir cap loose causing the brake warning
    light to come on.
    tomsr-

You only live ONCE! If you like it, get it! I just received an engraved invitation from my Acura dealer to see it at a special showing in a few weeks. I just bought my CL-S in March, so I won't be buying one, but I would like to see it and drive it. BTW- if you go and see one, drive the CL-S too! You WON'T find anything sluggish about this baby AND gas mileage in the 20's around town!

Take a look at some pics I took today-

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=912729&a=13412137&p=51118713&f=0

fastdriver
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    How does a guy that goes by the name "fastdriver" manage over 20 mpg around town in a CL-S? I average 20 mpg and that includes alot of freeway driving mixed in. I haven't done any road trips so I don't know what I'd get with 100% freeway.
    I can barely get 20 mpg, and I'm using imperial gallons. I think that's equivalent to approx. 16 mpg on US gallons.
    Do the rest of you CL-S owners get the impression that your car's "peppiness" fluctuates over time? For instance, when I hit about 4000 miles, the engine felt very fast, very loose. Almost seemed to rev faster. I just thought it was finally fully broken in. Then I took it in for the first oil and filter change. Now it seems to be just a touch less peppy. It seems to need more throttle to get the same surge. Of course I have no instumented evidence, just seat-of-the-pants feel.
This discussion has been closed.