Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    do you know this for a fact? Just ask your local Acura service. I was quoted before I turned it down.
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    I had my 7500 mi done at an independent Honda/Acura shop. I think it was about $60. I just had my 22,500 (same as a 7500) done at the dealer and it was about $70. Both of them were basically an oil/filter change, tire rotation, and some inspections. Neither shop said anything about extra services for hundreds more.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    should cost no more than 100 bucks, if anything at all. My dealer includes the first 2 services free and I don't think they are the only one doing that.
  • djimaplondjimaplon Member Posts: 2
    I was really interested in the CL until I found out they only come in with AT. As a result I bought a Volvo S60 T5M.

With the new RSX Type S (which I also considered until I saw the waiting list) sporting a 6 spd manual anyone know whether Acura will be making a CL Type S w/6 spd manual?
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I asked my local Acuara service advisor why they
    recommend the severe service schedule.The answer
    was because Southern California is hot and dry.
    Sounds like BS.I live near the coast where 75 degrees is the norm and the roads are all paved.
    If I live in a severe climate heaven help those
    in Phoenix in the summer or Chicago in the winter.
    It is a way to extract more money from the ignorant.
    Rumors circulating that it will be out either this fall or winter depending on what story you believe. This comes from posts on message boards (like acura-cl.com) by people claiming to have inside knowledge from the factory. Several car mags have noted the upcoming CL 6 speed. No dealers have confirmed anything, but I have a feeling they're the last to know anything. Honda is very good at keeping their true plans quiet.
    ok, if you look in the user's manual then you'll see what I am talking about. They have all these stuff that "must" be checked for the 7500 period. So my service dealer gave me this crazy estimate and I freaked. Like I said, I turned it down and just do the simple changes. The estimate exceeded 300 bucks for stuff that I know I don't need to do for now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they come out soon since the Legend coupe had it once. So they already know how it is done.....
  • jrentjrent Member Posts: 15
    I received quotes from 2 competing dealerships for the initial 7,500 service $69.95 and $58.95 both cover oil and filter, tire rotation inspect brakes + 26 point inspection.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    That's what I thought.
    "Several hundred."
    I did not think so.
    that's nice to know.. my bad... I had a bad day when I brought my car in that day. I just wanted a really cheap service or something because I have coupons for some services.... the 7500 miles cost is quoted at $133.
  • ribewribew Member Posts: 15
    Looks like the maintenace costs aren't all that bad, on average.

Now... Should I wait for 2002? I've got my decision narrowed the CL Type S and the Mercedes C-Coupe (C230). Decisions, decisions...

That and I still have to get the wife on my side.
    If the choice is between the 2002 CL-S and the C coupe, then go for the CL-S. Now, if you were comparing with the C320, then the choice is tougher. Even for a 4-door, the Mercedes C class's styling is sweeeeet!

BTW, how about the 2002 RSX with the 6-speed tranny?
  • elivingselivings Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know of a good independant Honda/Acura shop in either Baltimore or Cincinnati? I just got ripped for 15K service to the tune of $190.
    I thought the C240 is a sedan and a CLK320 is a coupe. Anyway, if you want to take a look at the predicted cost then you might want to check it here www.intellichoice.com

The CL would definitely be roomier than the RWD MB coupe. I'd say it might be harder to negotiate a reasonable price for a Benz. Several test drives are in order :)

Looks like MotorTrend likes the RSX even though it is supposedly slower off the line than our cars.
  • ribewribew Member Posts: 15
    I've looked into the RSX Type S, but I really want things like heated seats, navigation, etc., which the RSX doesn't have even as options.

I haven't driven it, but maybe I should...

This probably isn't the right plave to discuss the RSX, but if people want to add their $0.02, I'd be happy to listen.
    I'll give you my thoughts since your predicament is fairly common. Obviously, these two models are different. The RSX Type S is geared toward younger drivers with racer image. That car has been deemed to be better overall than the Integra Type R. The ride in the RSX won't be as forgiving as the CL. The reason why I didn't consider buying a RSX because I wanted a quieter daily driver. I'll just make it short and say that the CL is for people who want some speed with many luxury features. The RSX is for people who want some sport performance and the sportiness image that come with it. Both are very nice cars in their respective classes.
  • sew3663sew3663 Member Posts: 5
    I was quoted a price for a 2001 CL Type-S at $200 below invoice with only moderate haggling. I was estatic until I got suspicious. How was it so easy? I live in Fort Worth, Tx. Has anyone heard of any incentives that I have not? It just can't be because they want to make room for the 2002's, can it?
    Maybe because they don't want you to get your hands on a TL type S....
  • cyber_xcyber_x Member Posts: 37
    I am in California and don't know of any incentives. But I wouldn't be too suspicious of the price you were quoted. It should be pretty easy to get a good deal on a CL-S. According to my local Acura dealer, they are way overstocked on CL's and CL-S's, and have been for a while. Supposedly they sell quite a few TL's for each CL, just because most people looking for that type of car prefer to have 4 doors. Looking at their lot, I believe it - they have absolutely tons of CL's compared to other models. The end of the model year probably helps as well. About 3 months ago, dealers were offering me prices of $500 over invoice for CL-S's, and that was without any haggling. I didn't even say I wanted to buy right away, and they were already telling me I could get one for $500 over invoice. $200 below invoice is a good price, but I'd bet you could get them to go even lower. Why question...just get it while you can!
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I myself am waiting for the 6 speed version. But you are correct about most wanting 4 doors. I really want a 6 speed TL not CL. Acura are you listening??
    Does anyone out there wish like me that Acura would cut out this perforated leather stuff and put solid leather in the type S also? Looks cheap to me and I can imagine all those little holes filling up with grime after time. Of course all the car manufacturers seem to be piling on the perforated bandwagon. And yes I know its supposed to breathe and be cooler. I dont care about that.
    Sorry, Joe. If you want non-perforated leather then you have to buy a CL premium :) I have a feeling that there will be very few people buying a sedan with stick shift.... that could easily be changed if there are enough CL manuals sold....
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    interesting... I don't know how "cheap" the CL's leather seats are but the perforated leather on my E320 doesn't seem to gather excessive amount of grime in the perforations. Maybe you'd want to try out leather cleaning solutions (?)
    I've read that some CL type S owners found "hairy" seats, but that problem seems to be few. I noticed that the RSX in my dealer's showroom has perforated leather as well. I am surprised that car's seat seems fairly comfortable.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I am considering leasing a new CL with navigation. I am not satisfied with the sound of the Bose stereo system and I'd like to know what kind of improvements can be done without replacing the head unit.
    I am considering installing a sealed subwoofer and an amp and maybe replacing the front speakers with Polk, Boston or MBQuarts so I can have both ample, tight bass in rear and crisp, clean highs in the front.
    Is this do-able and has anyone tried this successfully?
    Some say the the Acura Bose stereo is completely un-upgradable because of a proprietary design and, because of this, you have to rip it out and start from scratch to improve the sound.
    I want to spend less than $1000 and maybe less than $600 if possible since it would only be a leased car.
    I wouldn't even spend that much since it is a leased car. But I agree completely that the BOSE system in the CL is very disappointing. Acura could learn something in this regard from Nissan.
  • wree7777wree7777 Member Posts: 26
    I'm interested in a used 2001 Acura CL with 12K miles but am hesitating because the nearest dealer is about 2.5 hrs away and it seems that you can only take it there for servicing. I've been told that their customer care policy means they'll come get my car if it's disabled and bring it to the nearest dealer and leave me with another set of wheels to drive in the meantime, but if it's something fixable locally, I hate to wait 2.5-3 hrs for them to get here! Has anyone had good/bad experience with this? Does Acura let you use other mechanics (such as the Honda dealership) instead for anything other than oil changes?

Any suggestions on pricing for this vehicle? There's no data on-line that I can find since it's a used 2001.
  • wree7777wree7777 Member Posts: 26
    I should add that the car is still under warranty and that the comment about thinking that Acura won't let you take the car elsewhere was in regards to voiding the warranty.
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    you can only take the car to an acura dealer for warranty problems, but for maintenance and everything else, it is up to you where you go.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I saw a used CL-S on a lot for $25,800 window, either 11k or 17k miles. Pretty good condition. For a short while I was very tempted to walk into the showroom and offer the Prelude as trade in. What turned me off was the styling of the car, and I wanted to get opinions on what you think about it or what part of it appeals to you. I don't know why but the rear end feels very... retro, as though I'm positive some of those 1970s buicks had the same sloped rear trunk panels. The thing seemed very tear-dropped in shape, almost like the Honda version of the Dodge Intrepid. Thoughts?
    I think the sound quality is fairly good when you don't have the car engine running. It seems to me that the engine/exhaust low frequency probably interferes with the bass.
    I didn't fall in love with the CL's styling, but it gets to me after a while. I thought it resembles the Accord too much when I was researching about it. Now like the clean lines and the fact that there is not key holes in the rear. The front end looks sharper than an Accord and the fact that standard HID kinda got to me.
  • fuzupfuzup Member Posts: 4
    Hello.

Well, I just turned 18 and I now have access to some settlement money that was awarded to me when I was 10 and I’m going to use some of it to buy a new car. I have been looking around and I saw the new CL-S and saw the price so I have been thinking about it for a while now. But, MB is coming out with their new C32 Supercharged Kompressor Sports Coupe. After I put all of the options I would want, it would come out to about the same price of the CL-S. So, now I am at a dilemma. I can’t chose. So, I’m here asking your opinion(s). One thing that I have been thinking about is the service costs. I have been reading how expensive, and in some opinions, unnecessary Acura’s service charges are. When doing some research on MB, I believe I saw that they include service charges in the cost of the car. In other words, I don’t have to pay to get my car serviced. This is important to me because I’m buying this car and then going off to college so I will not be making any money to pay for these service charges. But, I don’t know much else. Do any of you have any opinions?

Thanks,
    Fuzup
    I have no clue where those numbers came from...I know I did not put them there!
    Why would an 18 years old want to spend so much money? Unless you are a millionaire, I would advice against getting any car above 25k.

Also, where can you get a new MB for less than a CL? If you work for DC then it might be possible.

Save your money.... buy a car like the RSX. You'll have plenty of time to spend big later... if you choose.
    I did think of that, but I already have college payed for so I am using my settlement money to pay for this car (along with other things). That is why I want to stay in the $30000 price range. I'm looking for something sporty, but I also want the luxury. Now that I can have that, I just have to pick a car.
    Hmmm... well then... it looks like you have very few choices and I think that the CL is an excellent choice for 30k.

If you're willing to look at a used car then your choices might be more. I like the old Lexux SC and the Lincoln Mark VIII.
    The truth of the matter is that the CL's styling wasn't the reason I bought the car. However, I actually find the rear end the most attactive part of the car. I don't know about it looking like an old Buick, but I think it looks clean and classy. I like the shape of the tail lights and the curve in the truck lid back panel. And the dual oval chrome exhaust tips set the whole thing off very nicely. I've grown to like the front end but I think the front end of the 2002 TL-S is much better looking. I agree the overall shape of the car does have a bit of the Chrysler cab-forward look to it. I do wish it was a little less bulky.
    From some angles on photos, the CL's front looks a bit funky to me... but the rear of the car, no matter what the angle, seems to be the highlight of the car -- looks bold and smooth, especially those dual exhaust pipes. If anyone has regret that it looks and seems like too much Honda Accord in the car, just think of it as an upgraded, higher end Accord... you're not paying all that much for for a CL than a Maxima (a competition for Accord) these days.

to fuzup:
    If you're only 18, how about thinking about saving some of that money? You have no idea what's going to happen in the future and a car is the one of the worst way to spend your money on. But for amusement, I'd buy the CL-S... Think about it -- a bottom-end Mercedes is there for people who can't afford a real Mercedes but want to shout out to others and say, "LOOK AT ME! I"M DRIVING A BENZ!" I'm joking... by this I mean the regular C-coupe has only a four banger under the hood and isn't nearly as well equipped as its competitors, but its NAME is what is going to make it sell. I've actually never heard that they were going to make the C32 Coupe, but if they did, I don't think it would be anything in the price range of a CL-S (which goes for less than 30K these days). If I'm not mistaken, I think the C32 sedan will already go for about $50K, so I wouldnt expect the coupe version to be less than 40-45K.
    as far as the maintenance goes, Acura would be a whole lot cheaper to keep in the long run... Even if MB gives you 4 years free maintenance, when that runs out and you still have the car, you will regret and the 4 year advantage will disappear in a hurry.
    that's not usual 3 month/3k miles or whatever comes first either...bmw's has an oil change indicator, so you can only get the 'free' maintenance when the car requires oil changes.

i don't know how mb does it, but i think audi's is the same and i wouldn't doubt that mb's is the same also.
    I agree with others that the rear end of the CL is its most attractive asset (but without the spoiler!). I also like the rear trunk panel shape. Says classy euro sport sedan to me. In fact I'm struggling between the TL and CL. I really want a four door but I really like the looks of the CL.
    bmw's has an oil change indicator, so you can only get the 'free' maintenance when the car requires oil changes.

so what's wrong with that? As far as I know, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and some other manufacturers are not charging for the regularly scheduled services for a certain period of time... But like I said, compared to the maintenance cost of these cars in the long haul, they will seem rather irrelevant.
    Joe - Here are some reasons for not getting a CL

Heavier doors
    only two seats in the back and no rear A/C vents
    not as many changes for 2002 as the TL

Then again, the CL is more "personal" and you won't see as many on the road (harder to avoid the cops... hahaha)
    I'm not sure how heavier doors is a minus. They have side impact beams which is good. I've never had any trouble opening or closing the doors. The CL does have rear vents. They're under the seats. You can see them from the rear when you side the seats forward. And besides, I bought this car for ME, not the occasional back seat passenger.
    I'd say that because I know some people don't like heavy doors when opening and closing - not considering it as a safety issue in this case. Also, the fact that it is longer would make it harder for some to get out in a parking lot or garage.... I've driven several coupes before so I know what I was getting myself into. Too bad that some people regret it because they overlooked that when they purchased.

As for the rear vents, I think it would be more comfortable for the rear passengers if they could adjust it. Not a big deal in a coupe though.
    of course there aren't going to be as many changes as the 2002 tl...the tl's last change was in 2000 (5 spd auto and side airbags).

the cl is only a 2001 model, why should it receive as many changes for the next model year as the tl that's been out for 2 model years without a change?

and the doors aren't that heavy. i've felt heavier doors on sedans (560sel) and other coupes (sl500, a lot heavier AND longer). i've had no problem opening or closing my doors in most parking spots...but then again i choose spots that i can open my door wide...if i can open my door wide, that means that the cars next to me can't ding me.
    but isn't this guy comparing the CL to the new C-Coupe? I thought that's what he said. I wouldnt count on Mercedes to make light doors, especially on a coupe.

haha I don't know where you're from mrdeeeno, but back out in a place called a big metropolis, you can't afford to choose a parking spot according to their size.
    that's why it might be a bette choice for joeandcarol to pick the TL over the CL.... more changes.... some people might prefer the updated styling of the TL
This discussion has been closed.