Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• I originally went to the Chevy dealer after seeing a red Monte Carlo on the freeway. I thought it was striking, so I wanted to take a closer look. After test driving the Monte for a few hours (he gave me the key and said to keep it for the afternoon), I decided the doors were too big.

I then decided to try the Impala LS, because I liked the way it looked, and it had a ton of features for the price. (200HP, leather, moon roof, power everything, auto everything.) It's a very nice car. GM is definitely headed in the right direction.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that we shopped for her car. I had no idea that Acuras were so affordable, and that due to their higher resale value, the lease payments weren't that much more than my Impala.

If we would have gone together to the Acura dealer for both our cars before I got the Impala, we'd both be driving Acuras right now. CL for her. TL-S Navi for me! Luckily, she lets me drive it whenever we go places together. My wife. I think I'll keep her.

As a side note, I must say that the stereo in the CL sounds pretty crappy, especially for a car of this level. The TL is no better, despite the subwoofer.
  • jrentjrent Member Posts: 15
    you're correct regarding the lack of power in the Cabrio. This car works well for my wife as its just an around town commuter. After driving the CL/S it feels like the Cabrio can barely go up a hill! Just as I took delivery, the TL/S was announced and I started to have 2nd thoughts, but I'm happy with the coupe. I traded in an Infiniti J30 (sedan) for the C/L and the Bose in the C/L can't compare to the sound I got out of the Infiniti.
  • usaallthewayusaalltheway Member Posts: 2
    I am a newcomer to this forum. I have a general question for you all. I am about to get my first car, and I am torn between the 96/97 Maxima Se and the 97 2.2 CL. Which one is better? Which one will last longer and with fewer problems? And finally, which one is more fun to drive?
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    usaalltheway - I'd say go with the Maxima SE in this case. You'll get more power and it is definitely more fun to drive than the 2.2 CL (which is basically a dressed up Accord). As far as reliability, I'd say Honda still has the advantage over Nissan. We have/had several Maximas in the house so I know how good that car is.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    The price of a CL seems to be one of the best deals in the automotive world these days... I've been following the Camry and '02 Altima boards closely for a while and the $26K that you could spend to get a base CL can't even get you a loaded Camry nor an Altima! People can criticize Acura/Honda all they want, but the best deals on cars that us common folks can afford are coming from Honda and Acura.
  • sqccsqcc Member Posts: 3
    I've been lurking on this forum (and others) for quite a while now and finally put all the good info I've recieved from you to use. Bought a 2001 CL/S, black/parchment, today. That color combo was not in stock so I don't have the car yet but should in the next 2-3 days. I drove many cars in my quest but thought the CL was the best combination of price/quality/and fun that I found--hope that holds to be true. I really liked the way the Passat drove and almost bought one but after visiting the forum decided the reliability wasn't there. I have a 93 Audi 90 with 103,000 miles on it that still drives better than most of the new cars that I've driven lateley. I look forward to reading more of your posts and writing more of mine and appreciate all the good information all of you have passed on. It helped me tremendously--even if you didn't know it. BTW, if any of you are in the market for a new CL you should be able to buy a 2001 for close to invoice from any dealer out there. There are hardly any standard CL's available though--only Type S's
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    Has anyone test driven both the CL-S and the TL-S? What are the differences (if any) in the handling and steering?
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Let me re-introduce myself. I bought a CL-P last June 2000, after a very crappy experience with a new 98 Old Intrigue. Had the Intrigue 18-months w/ 18k miles and the dang had made about 18 shop visits [brakes/rotors, intermediate shafts, and a host of other nagging little things]. The Intrigue was my first re-exposure to American cars after a 15-year absent. That was another hard lesson learned, I plan to stick with Asians brands in future purchases.

After 15-months and 15k miles, I can honestly say that I'm very please with my Silver CL-P. [BTW this is my first Honda product]. My only complaints are, the BOSE is lacking, telescoping steering would be nice, and the paint seems a little thin [thus the reason to Zanio which was done the first weekend, great stuff BTW].

I plan to keep the CL in the family for a while, after a couple of years the wife really, really wants it [yesterday would NOT be too soon]. I want to see what is in happens to the TL & RL models in a couple of years. Thought I would like a MDX [handy on shopping trips & foul weather], but I'm not really a SUV kind of guy. We are now empty-nesters, however 4-doors and a bigger trunk would be handy when it happens to be more than just the two of us, other than that it hold the golf bag just fine.

I would love to see Acura do something along the lines of a Lexus IS300 SportCross, Civic SI, on the TL/CL platform [maybe even with AWD]. I'm talking about something real sporty not your family grocery getter.
    sqcc - I am sure that you will enjoy your CL as most of us here enjoy ours. I guess most people still prefer to buy the premium model as Acura predicted.

joe - I test drove the TL; the Type S was not available then, when I was considering the CL Type S. I thought the handling and performance were similar, but the braking of the premium was not as grippy. Perhaps due to the smaller tires. So I would guess that the TL Type S would have a very familiar feel as the CL Type S. Of course, the CL would probably be a little faster through the curves.

Now I remember why I want to buy a large car like this one. The recent downpour really tested the car. There were many deep pockets of water that I drove through with ease and confidence. This car makes me feel alot safer than a smaller car such as a Civic/RSX.
  • cyber_xcyber_x Member Posts: 37
    ...what's a CL-Premium? Does that just mean the "regular" (non-Type S) CL?
    Yup.. that's what Acura calls it in the manual
    ...got it - thanks cyranno99!
  • Now I don't have to call my base CL "base" anymore. A free upgrade.
    cyber_x - you're welcome

garypen - yeah.. Acura tries hard to make you feel good, don't they? :)
  • In order for something to be "premium", doesn't there have to be a basic version for it to be better than?

It reminds me of fast food restaurants that don't serve "small" drinks, only medium, large, and super-size. By very definitionof the word, "medium" cannot be the smallest.

LOL
    I suppose that the base version of the CL Premium is the Accord V6 :)
  • LOL
  • jettsonjettson Member Posts: 23
    Congratulations on your purchase! I've had my CL-S for about two weeks now and I love it more each day I drive it.

Let us know when you take delivery. I'm sure you will not regret your decision!
  • dee35dee35 Member Posts: 11
    Hi garypen,

I know what you mean. I also had no idea that I could afford an Acura. When we tell people what kind of car we got, they get kind of quiet...like their thinking, "they must make a lot of money." In fact, friends of ours just bought a Chrysler 300M. They had that same reaction. I went on Edmunds and priced the car that they bought. It was within just a couple grand of mine. If they had only known! LOL Bet they'd be driving an Acura, now!
    I drove a Grand Prix GTP for 6 years. It was a lot of fun to drive, but noisy and cost me plenty in repairs. I priced the new ones and almost had a heart attack when the MSRP was $27,000 plus. Next stop was the Acura dealer. GM wasn't even in the running after that.

Dee
  • The Acuras are remarkably affordable. My wife, who is Japanese and feels a product's quality is directly related to price, doesn't want to tell people she paid only $26K. She insists on using the msrp of $28,500!

I told her to only tell her Japanese friends that she paid that. Her American friends will think she's an idiot if she paid msrp, and will respect her more for saving $2500, exactly the opposite of her Japanese friends!

That attitude might also explain the difference in the quality between our GM cars and the Acuras.
    I was thinking V6 before I bought the CL. The top of my list was the Maxima, but the current body style just wasn't for me. I noticed that the TL was in the same price range and was significantly better equipped. Then I noticed how much improved the 2nd generation CL is over the 1st gen. I thought to myself... yeah, I could buy something in this price range and won't cry so much if I get dinged. I don't want to spend too much on a car since I do have other wants that are just as important or even more so.
    Dee & Garypen:
    I can definitely relate to your statements regarding the affordability of Acura's. Had I known 3 months ago what I know now, I would never have purchased the Accord EX-V6. (As you may remember from my previous posts, I traded it in for a CL-S a couple of weeks ago.) I think all my co-workers think I make much more money than them. NOT! I just found out that Acura's are very, very reasonably priced.

Cyranno99:
    Wow, you won't cry much if you get dinged? I'm impressed. I'll cry like a baby if I get a ding! BTW, totally off subject, my Siamese cat's name is Cyranno. He's pretty smart, too!
    jettson - so does that mean I can sit on your lap? ;).... bad Cyranno.. bad.... yeah, I already have a couple of small, but noticeable scratches and dings. I've never totaled a car before so I don't know how I would react if I would... knock on fake wood trim.

Here's a good reason to rejoice for buying a CL.

oooh...naughty Cyranno...I might have to make you spend the night outside...

Well, back to car talk now...
  • raaizinraaizin Member Posts: 31
    Can those of you who have made recent purchases let us know how much you paid. How much off MSRP can I expect on a 2002. Your input would be welcome.
  • phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    2002 pricing will not be available until the cars hit the dealership lots. If you want to buy, now is the time to buy a 2001. You will not get as of a deal on a 2002 as on a 2001. There are zero significant changes to the 2002. If you are waiting for a manual, you will be waiting until next Spring. I'd get the 2001.
    If you want to lease, you may be better off waiting for a 2002 due to residule rate advantages with the 2002 vs. a 2001.
    I just got my 2001 CL-S(no navi) on August 11th.
    I paid $28,462 plus $695 for the spoiler. Dealer invoice is $28,128 and Edmunds TMV is $28,513.
    The going price in my area(NJ-Phila) is $500 over dealer invoice, so I paid less than that. Honestly, if I had paid full sticker price, the car would still have been worth it! I love my car!

My car was rear-ended when it was 5 days old. It was in the shop all last week and over this weekend. I hope to get it back on Tuesday, so I can get back to the euphoria of driving it! Gonna order some of that Zaino and get to work next weekend.

Dee
    I don't know where you live, but here in Northern California you can get a 2001 CL-S with Navi for about $200 - $400 over invoice. Same for CL-S no Navi. Most (if not all) come with wheel locks, mud flaps, and personalized floor mats.
  • CL Base (I mean Premium) is $25,995 in San Jose.
  • jace1jace1 Member Posts: 23
    I am looking at a 98 2.3 base in silver, 5 speed with alloys, 52K. For sale by a Linc/Merc dealer and appears to be an off-lease vehicle. It was very closely inspecte by a Honda/Acura independent tech. who is very good and pronounced it healthy. I would judge cond. as clean with a few minor ext. blems.

This dealer has now had the car for about 3-4 months (Portland, ME) and has not moved it. Asking price is 16k. I am thinking of an offer in the 12k range. I will still need to run carfax and there is no service history known. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks for replies.

Jace
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    We have a 97 CL 2.2 automatic with 52000 and I would not take $12,000 for it. IT runs so sweetly. New tires at 42,000, and a battery at 36,000.I do not know what a base model is..I presume it does not have leather or a sunroof????Is it a truly a "SHARP" Car?I would compare it to perhaps an Accord LX with a stick?????May be a good deal!Just IMO>>>>>
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Jace...what does the car price out at using Edmunds True Market Value?

The key here is you have to make sure the dealer has taken out the mileage penalty...52K miles is, after all, about 1/3 the cars's useful life, and the best 1/3rd at that. You could lowball him, he'll probably counter-offer if he thinks you are serious. Obviously, a car that hasn't moved for 3-4 months is overpriced or in some other way unattractive to buyers.
  • jace1jace1 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks Shifty,

Edmunds TMV for dealer retail is 14,138 with the mileage factored in (52K). Private sale comes out at 12,900 with the trade value at 11,750. My figure of 12,000 would quailfy as a low ball offer to a dealer and would probably draw a counter as you noted. Perhaps this offer would be better suited to an Accord coupe.

The mileage is surely ST I need to consider as I would be planning to use the car for 100k+. I suspect the key factors in the car not moving are: no Acura dealer in Maine so limited exposure to the brand; manual trans.; no leather; no service hx.

Jace
    Hi all!

I just got my beautiful 2001 red CL-S back tonight. The body shop did a great job! I don't think anyone could ever tell the trunk was damaged and the bumper replaced. I wish they did a better job cleaning up all that filler dust though. It was even inside the car.

I had to retrain my foot. I was driving a Sunfire all last week and I guess it needed more encouragement to go. My car kept jumping forward...I guess it was as eager to get out of there as I was!

Well, now I can resume my new car experience. It thunderstormed on my way home from the body shop. I pulled it into the garage and dried it off with some towels. I have never babied a car so much in my life! It must be love!

Happy driving!

Dee
    I'm so glad you have your baby back. Plus, it sounds like you are very happy with the work. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

If I see a woman driving around in a shiny red CL-S with a huge smile on her face, I'll wave to you!
    If I see someone in a shiny blue CL, I'll wave to you, too. Not much chance of that though, since I'm in NJ and your in CA!

Hey, maybe all Acura CL drivers should start waving at each other with big goofy grins on their faces! Kinda like what they do with Harley's, but I guess they're too cool for the goofy grins!

See ya!
  • They already do! Some guy in a silver CL waved to my wife in her silver CL yesterday.

Hey. Wait a second. That guy was flirting with my wife. I oughta slug him! ;-)
    Gary.. next time.. wave a fist at him :)
  • I live in CA. He may shoot me.
    ...in San Jose, he'll more likely throw his cup of Starbucks or Jamba Juice on you and then try to belittle you with his bigger salary. Unless he's a dot-commer, in which case he'll rob you. =)
    Yeah.... it almost makes you want to bullet-proof your car, doesn't it? I thought people in CA would throw their sweaters at you.... hmmm
    ...no, no - the sweater-throwing only occurs when sweaters become necessary, like when it becomes really, really cold - you know, under 60 degrees Fahrenheit. =P
  • They'll usually get back at you by not signalling their lane changes, or driving too slow in the left lane.

No wait. That's how they all drive here.
    I think around here... they just give you a dirty look and sometimes flip you. Funny thing though.. I remember I saw a guy driving a silver one a while back. He got like s shock look on his face when he saw me drove past him in the oppposite direction. Don't know why. I suppose that he probably told the girl sitting next to him that his car is pretty rare... bahbahah

Hmmm.. 60F is cold? Man... you people are spoiled ... hahaha
  • nazcarnazcar Member Posts: 2
    For those knowledgeable about the TL and CL, I'm presently trying to decide which to buy. In New Orleans, these cars sell out quickly (1 acura dealer), and I haven't been able to test drive the CL. I like the TL (2002). I think the base, premium, is fine regarding acceleration. Is the tl base or cl base faster? Any options that the tl has that the cl doesn't have or vice versa? Is the navigation worth it? how's the bose system? What good is xenon lights? When do the models change on the tl and cl cars, respectively. I heard the cl was all-new for 2001, but the tl has been out for a few years, and acura replaces models every 5 years. Any truth to the statement? Sorry for all the questions, but I plan to buy one of them within the next week and the salesman I saw knows less about the car than I do! Thanks for any help.
  • I have a CL base, and have test driven a TL-S. The interiors are almost identical. The dash is basically the same. The TL, of course is easier for the rear seat passengers to get in and out. There are also rear AC ducts, which is also nice for them.

The sound system in the TL has an additional sub-woofer, but doesn't sound any better, and doesn't seem to have any more bass, which is odd. The CL's actually sounds a little crisper due to tweeters in the upper door panels. But, overall, neither system sounds as good as a supposedly premium "Bose" system should in cars of this class.

The HID Xenon headlights do make a difference over standard halogens. I believe both models have the Xenons.

I used the Nav in the TL-S test drive, and plan on getting it. I like it very much, but the value of it is subjective.

Despite the increased HP of the TL-S, I did not notice any difference in acceleration. My base CL does fine in that department, as it also does in handling. The Michelins are a little noisy, but both cars are pretty quiet, especially compared to the RSX that I also test drove. That one had more road noise than I have ever experienced.

A major drawback to both models, IMO, is the absence of a fold down rear seat. The trunk is very big, but a fold down seat would increase storage capacity greatly, and is commonplace in even the cheapest cars.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Maybe the reason they don't fold down is to impart a more upscale image. Afterall, you're not supposed to use your luxury car to carry big bulky objects. The middle pass-thru takes care of recreational items such as skis. I'm just wondering if Mercedes, BMW's, etc. have fold-down rear seats?
  • I don't think there's anything upscale about having less cargo space. Especially in a sedan.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    dee35-

Congratulations! Glad you got your baby back and that the job appears to be top-notch! Did you ask them how soon you can use the Zaino? ;-)))

Don't forget, we want to see some pics!!!

fastdriver
  • sqccsqcc Member Posts: 3
    I need some advice. Last Wed I made a deal for a 2001 CL type S, non nav/no spoiler, with splash guards, pinstripe for 28,600. The dealer didn't have the black/parchment that I wanted but he said he could dealer trade and have one by Sept 6 at the latest. Today when I called he said he has been unable to locate one through through the dealers he normally trades with but since it has taken longer than he promised he would sell me a 2002 equiped the same for 29700 or about 1500 under MSRP (he said the 2002 went up $300 to a MSRP of 31,200) He told me that they'll sell 2002s for MSRP when they get them. The 2002 will be in on Oct 3. I guess my question is does this sound like a good deal--1500 under sticker (about 1100 over invoice or was the 2001 a better deal. In your experience are the dealers getting MSRP for 2002's? Thanks for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.