Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura CL

Comments

• Options
    Don't fall for it. It's the old b&s. CL's sell about 1 for each 12 TL's. They aren't going like hotcakes. Look around at other dealers yourself for the one you want. If you find one, tell them the price you were offered at the first dealer. An honest dealer, and there are some, will attempt to match it. In his defense, as a 2001, it may be difficult to find one in that color. I didn't know the 2002's were in, though.

FYI, Edmunds shows a TMV (true market value) of 28,500 for a 2001 CL-S non-Navi in my zip code, which is in Northern Cal.
  • Options
    sqccsqcc Member Posts: 3
    I checked Edmunds too before I bought. TMV is about what I "paid" if you include the splashguards and pin stripe. The problem I have with the dealer is that he waited a week to tell me something I think he could have found out in 1 day if he would have worked on it, when I told him I was ready to take my money elsewhere he had all the info in less than an hour--that was that of the 3 cars he told me were available last week when we were making the deal, one turned out to be a demo (don't want it), one had a spoiler (I don't want it) and one was sold (that one could have been mine if he would have followed up sooner). According to the acura website there are no black/parchment CL/S avail within 300 miles of St Louis. He called me this evening and said he found one but (and I'll give him credit for being honest)it's been on the dealers lot for 5 months and already was a dealer trade (my dealer would be the 3rd to have the car).--doesn't sound overly appealing to me. The acura website listed the 2002 MSRP as being only $60 over 2001 (per Edmunds pricing) I think I'll offer him 29,200 for the 2002 and if he doesn't take it I'll look for a different car.
  • Options
    There ya go! You might even feel better that you got a 2002.

BTW, my dealer threw in the mud guards, wheel locks and logo mats for free. We didn't ask for them, and he didn't mention them. I only found out later that they were dealer options. We also got a very low no-haggle price.

It was at the end of the month, and they seemed rather anxious to sell us a car. I also bought a different car at the beginning of the month. That dealer, while nice, wasn't as willing to drop price or increase the trade-in offer.

I'll bet if you wait until the end of the month, let's say after the 29th, you'll get a better deal. Just a hunch.
  • Options
    dmacneilldmacneill Member Posts: 20
    I just picked up a 2001 CL yesterday. It was the last CL base (there were 4 Type S's)on the lot and the dealer was eager to move it. I paid exactly $500 over invoice. It also has on it the Acura accessory chrome alloy wheels, and they sold them to me for half price. The salesman said the 2002 CLs would be in at the end of September but there were few changes from the 2001s.

After just one day of driving it, I am very impressed. The handling, performance, and comfort are amazing for a car of this price range. I look forward to many years of good driving.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    You know that the demise of the hatchback configuration a few years back was due to the fact that manufacturers thought that the hatch, with its utilitarian image, was projecting an econo image for their cars. I guess luxury car owners like to think that mundane tasks such as hauling bulky cargo should be done by the "lower class" :))
    (I know this is an apparent contradiction to the SUV boom, but I suspect most SUV buyers are not buying them for the "utility" factor. If they did, most of them would buy vans or station wagons).
  • Options
    compuladycompulady Member Posts: 9
    canadiancl, it never occured to me to look for the fold down seats. Your post prompted me to look. I LOVE my CL even if it doesn't have the fold-down rear seats.

Note that it at least has a pass-through to the trunk which might help with one pair of skis.
  • Options
    nazcarnazcar Member Posts: 2
    For those knowledgeable about the TL and CL, I'm presently trying to decide which to buy. In New Orleans, these cars sell out quickly (1 acura dealer), and I haven't been able to test drive the CL. I like the TL (2002) also. I think the base, premium, is fine regarding acceleration. Is the tl base or cl base faster? Any options that the tl has that the cl doesn't have or vice versa? Is the navigation worth it? how's the bose system in the cl? What good is xenon lights? When do the body styles change on the tl and cl cars, respectively. I heard the cl was all-new for 2001, but the tl has been out for a few years, and acura replaces models every 5 years. Any truth to the statement? Sorry for all the questions, but I plan to buy one of them within the next week and the salesman I saw knows less about the car than I do! Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Being from Brooklyn, originally, I always like to calculate how many bodies can fit in the trunk. I suppose if the guy was skinny he could fit through the ski-hole.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The 2002 CLs officially went on sale yesterday. The price was increased by $50 for both models. The only changes were revised outside mirrors and thicker sunroof glass, both to reduce wind noise.
  • Options
    The funny thing is I don't notice much wind noise. (Not from the car, anyway.)
  • Options
    It would be nice if they made the mirrors smaller.
  • Options
    phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    Lenscap-
    Where did you hear that the 2002 CL's went on sale. I have talked to several dealers here in Atlanta, and none of them have any pricing or order info for the 2002.
    If you have a reference, please let me know.
    Thanks-
    PNC
  • Options
    wree7777wree7777 Member Posts: 26
    Lenscap, Do you know what changed with the 2002 mirrors and how reliable is your info source? I'd probably buy a CL if they fixed the huge blind spot created by the extra-large eye-level passenger-side mirror.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    As I understand it, not having folded down seat is supposed to help to add to the CL overall rigidity and structure integrity of the car.
  • Options
    It probably also adds to the overall cost savings and budget integrity of Honda.

Other "rigid" cars have them. It would have been nice in the CL. My other car has one, and I use it quite often.
  • Options
    l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    The other thing I noticed now is the availability of wood grain trim on the steering wheel and vents.
  • Options
    cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    I'm surprised that Acura has not changed the Bose for the 02.
  • Options
    jettsonjettson Member Posts: 23
    Congratulations on your purchase!

I am also a recent "member" of the "Acura Fan Club", and I totally agree with you on your assessment of the car.

Have fun driving!
  • Options
    jettsonjettson Member Posts: 23
    Well, just got back from my trip to North Lake Tahoe. The good news is that my car drove like a dream (just passed the 1000 mile mark, BTW); the bad news is that I was surrounded by monster SUV's and trucks.

Yikes...I thought I was going to get squished like a bug!
  • Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    hmm looks like the MSRP went down by a couple hundred dollars for the '02s....

Let's pray for everyone across the nation and hope that we settle everything by means of peace...
  • Options
    I noticed on the Acura web site that they are "bragging" about their paint process. Interesting to see how my car will hold up after 8 years.

I am so used to be surrounded by 4x4 on the road that I just make it a point to zoom pass most of them. Then again, you'll see some crazy drivers in those trucks that would love to tailgate.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I'm sorry I did not get back to the questions asked about my post on the 2002 prices, changes and on-sale date.

This info came from Acura's own press release dated 9/5 (the day the cars went on sale). This release can be viewed at http://www.prnewswire.com (click on industry news, then automotive).

• Options
    rkwu2rkwu2 Member Posts: 2
    I read in the October issue of Car and Driver that the CL will be offered with a 6 speed manual gearbox. Does anyone know when this will be offered and what effects it has on the performance of the car? Will the redline still be at 6800 rpm or will it go to 8000 rpm like the RSX type S?
  • Options
    Manual transmission usually means a reduction in weight. I'd guess that the performance increase won't be dramatic, but the fun of shifting will be more for those who want more "control" of their car. I doubt that the redline will change. The RSX Type S is a different car.... Inline 4 and DOHC.
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Anyone have comments or intel on some of the differences between the NSX's V6 and the one in the new CL-S and TL-S? Very similar? Very different?
  • Options
    Well... the Type S is a SOHC engine. A little more fuel efficient because it is less powerful. The oil requirement is about 2 quarts less than the NSX engine. It seems that Acura will make the NSX with V8 in the future. I can't imagine trying to squeeze more power from a six cylinder without resorting to turbo or stressing out the existing components... thereby reducing durability and reliability. Who knows... I want to see a CL with RWD and sporting DOHC. Of course, the i-Vtec would definitely be the future for most Acuras if not all.
  • Options
    64626462 Member Posts: 14
    I've seen lots of cars drop their 0-60 times considerably when comparing the manual version to the automatic. I bet the manual version of the Type S will be able to hit it in under 6 seconds.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    Good to hear that the 2002 Acura CL is in the showroom. CD.com sez they'll get back to me on a six-speed manual shift. Apparently, they have a link to a Bay Area (N CA) dealer.

Anyone out there have anything additional on the long-awaited six speed?
  • Options
    I found carsdirect to have pretty lousy pricing on Acuras. I got my base 2001 CL at Stevens Creek Acura in San Jose for under $26K, which was under invoice, back in April. Cheryl Kaiser at Sunnyvale Acura also seems eager to work with price. I was looking at a TL-S there.
    You may want to check out one of those joints, before clicking "buy now" at carsdirect.
  • Options
    mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    another reason manual tranny cars are usually faster than their automatic counterparts is because there is less power loss to the wheels (ie more power gets from the engine to the ground).
  • Options
    wree7777wree7777 Member Posts: 26
    Now for a real crystal ball question -- Stick shift versions of the Hondas and Toyotas I've looked at are almost $1K less than the automatics. Do you think the same would happen here or that there would be so much demand that it would be higher?
  • Options
    since a demand for stick on a CL will be small, I doubt that it would be significantly cheaper than the auto... just a guess though. As I recalled, the six-speed version for the Legend was more expensive... then again, I think they extracted a little more power for that version.
  • Options
    mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    According to a member on acura-cl.com who owned a 95 Legend 6 speed, he had to special order the thing. They didn't make many of them. Someone said the whole state of Hawaii got 6 manuals.
  • Options
    raaizinraaizin Member Posts: 31
    I am interested in a CL-S. Is the rear seat large enough for 2 adults, especially if one seat was all the way back. I am a little concerned about the size of this vehicle. According to the the specifications this car is in line with others but it just seems small. I am coming out of an SUV so I guess anything would seem small.
  • Options
    stephen36stephen36 Member Posts: 7
    There is plenty of seating room in the rear of the CL-S, but leg room may be a problem if the front seat is all the way back.

The TL would provide much more comfortable seating if you intend to have four people in the car very often.
  • Options
    joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    Its not clear to me that demand for a manual version of the CL would be small. Here in No. VA. manual transmission Maximas (and new Altimas) seem to sell very well. I would think that many of those buyers would consider a CL as well with a manual. There are a whole group of drivers out there (me being one of them) who won't buy an automatic. And we are not all kids. I am 53.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    joeandcarol2-

I don't think that age has anything to do with manual vs automatic per se. Many of the young want it for sure, but I think it all depends on where you live. Being in or near a busy city, would not seem to me to be very attractive for a manual shift.

8,500+ miles on my 2001 CL-S since 3/28/01 and loving every minute of it. Two dealer visits for oil/filter changes and a tire rotation! That's it! So far, the best car I have EVER owned!

fastdriver
  • Options
    you cracked me up... I've never known anyone so happy about a car like you. Let's hope that your car will only required maintenance :) Sometimes I like this car's styling because it doesn't look fast, but you know that it is fast enough.
  • Options
    I got a letter from my dealer today advising me that I would soon receive the Owner's Survey from Acura. They then hinted that it would be "helpful" if I graded them a certain way. Then the kicker is at the end of the letter they offered me 20 bucks if I brought in my completed survey to them! I'm not really offended by this slightly shady offer. I find it kinda comical.
  • Options
    High CSI scores equal cash to the dealer.
  • Options
    cyranno99-

If YOU had a 99 Chrysler 300M and went through what I did for the 33 months that I had that car, you'd be THRILLED too with my current car! I know you've been in TH for some time, but I don't know if you ever read my "soap opera" story of the 300M. If you want just a SLIGHT view of the crap I went through for 33 months, click on my name above, sit back and put your feet up and start reading. Then you'll really understand how I feel. Keep in mind, that's just a "partial history" of what I went through with those "award-winning 5-STAR" Chrysler dealers!

I've had this CL-S for 6 months now with 2 dealer visits. I can't tell you how many visits I had with the 300M during its first 6 months!

fastdriver
  • Options
    fastdriver - s'alright, I am glad that you got out of a frustrating experience... or rather experiences with the kind of quality and service from the previous car. BTW, you don't have any rattles? I have some... off and on - not a big deal for me.

canadiancl - yeah, that's what my dealer kinda told me when I purchased the car. They said... blah blah.. almost like bribing me ... hahaha. I had to rip them since they are the only dealer in town so they have to get better since they don't have any competition. I just want them to be the best dealer in the city... period :)
  • Options
    cyranno99-

Rattles? My car is as quiet as a church mouse! Try taking everything out of the trunk, glove compartments and door panel storage areas and see what happens. You don't have the sunrood "rattle", do you? They solve that with some kind of tape.

Turned 8,600 miles last night. Seems to get faster everyday.

fastdriver
  • Options
    no problem with my moonroof. This car is just about as quiet as my bro's BMW 528i. I love my car. I don't get tired driving on long distance trips, not like some previous cars that I had.
  • Options
    cyranno99-

I hear you! That's why I have 8,600+ miles on mine in 6 months!

fastdriver
  • Options
    rkwu2rkwu2 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone give me a elementary explanation of the differences between rear wheel drive cars and front wheel drive cars. I hear so much that rear wheel drive cars are better handling cars. Why is that? Also, what is torque steer? If rear wheel drive cars are better at handling, why aren't all cars that way? What are the virtues of front wheel drive cars? Thanks for any responses.
  • Options
    here's a brief and incomplete list of

FWD advantages over RWD ( big enough for most car buyers)
    - better traction on slippery surfaces
    - more trunk/rear seat space
    -

FWD disavantages compared to RWD
    - relatively poor handling
    - not equality distributed weight

Actually, most cars were RWD before the 80's ( at least, in the US). However, the better control in the wet helped convinced more buyers to consider FWD cars. Of course, you don't see real trucks with FWD. Minivan is another story. So the market dictated the use of FWD.

I think there are other discussions around TH that go into more details. You might want to do a search.
  • Options
    murraya1833murraya1833 Member Posts: 2
    Acura had to refinsh the rear bumper .The bumper started to turn yellow. It was repainted by Acura and now there is a green tint to the white paint.The service rep. told me it is because of the type of plastic that is used in the bumpe. Dont wash the car at a coin machine washer the pressure of the water wand could rip the paint off the bumper. This is an on going problem
  • Options
    murraya1833-

It's not a lousy paint job, it's a problem with the paint and the compounds in the rubber bumpers. This is a common problem, especially with white, in cars across the board. This has been discussed in the Toyota Solara topic area as well.

As for the wand washes, I have been using them for years here in CT with no problems on any of my cars for as long as I can remember. Maybe some are more harmful than others? I've never lost any paint on any car from these car washes.

fastdriver
  • Options
    I'd never consider washing a new car at an automated washer. High pressure washers are bad for any car...
This discussion has been closed.