Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    cyranno99-

I'm sure you've seen my pics. If not, click on my name above. Paint is fine on all of them!

fastdriver
  • nitinputchanitinputcha Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Forgive me if this is against posting policy. I wish to offer my 1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium for sale. I'm a private owner in the process of moving.

Details:
    Automatic, Dark Red color, 48,750 miles, power steering/moonroof/locks/windows/brakes/drivers seat.

ABS, Dual Side Airbags, Side Mirrors defogger, Seat heater (both Passenger & Driver seats), Leather Interior (Black), Premium alloy Wheels, Bose CD player, Stereo. Dealer Maintained with all records. Full 10 year Bumper-Bumper Dealer Warranty, Acura Special Road Side Assistance & Luxury Service.

In perfect condition. Asking $16,000
    Loacted in Philadelphia, call (267) 258 6171
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    Yup, I went there and got a can of leather conditioner, a can of glass cleaner and a can of polish....for free... yeehaw... they even gave me a tire pressure gauge. Got a chance to test drive the TL type S and check out the RSX. Good looking cars. I also took a look at the new Altima... first thing when I looked at the interior.... cheap comes to mind.... just not as nice as a Jetta even....
  • compuladycompulady Member Posts: 9
    Cyranno99, what is Acura Appreciation week? Are all Acura dealers giving away free stuff for coming in or test driving a vehicle?
    Well... they sent out a flyer that said it was a "spa day" for my car and it was sponsored by my dealer. I had to make an appointment. So I guess those dealers that want to compete should have done it. They supposedly did a detailed inspection for my car and offer 15% off for any services done on the same day. Yup, they gave me those stuff for free. I wasn't expecting it. I just wanted an inspection and a free car wash :)
    cyranno99-

No Acura Appreciation Days here in CT! You LET the dealer wash your car? I made sure to tell them NOT to touch my car the two times I brought it in for oil/filter changes. They want to wash it, vacuum it, check the air in the tires etc. NO thanks. I'll take care of all that myself. I don't want scratches on the car, grease on the seats or 35 lbs. of air in the tires from some minimum wage worker who could care less about my car.

fastdriver
    you're right... the dealer did a poor job hand washing my car this time... but I was lazy :) I'll let them vacuum my car in the future, but with some instructions. I check my tires weekly at home since the temperatures have been dropping fast lately.

I noticed someone in the Accord forum said there was a car appreciation month.... don't know much about that...
  • youbetchayoubetcha Member Posts: 26
    Hello to everyone on-board. I was on a "CL-S vs. IS300 vs. GP GTP" board a year ago when I was considering buying a car. Needless to say the CL-S (and maybe this was luck) is the best car for the money! I'm very satisfied with it.
    I'm hoping to find somebody here who has installed some extra stereo equipment. Not that the car needs it, it has a lot already. But, my wife and I have portable Minidisc players and also a Minidisc stereo. We love the quality (trust me when I say it is MUCH better than MP3) and the sheer portability and flexibility of the design. However, currently the only way to hook it up to the car stereo is to take the portable player with me and use a cassette adapter.
    Has anybody tried to install the MD changer or a single MD player? What was your experience with this?
    By the way... 19,500 miles on my Type-S and not a single problem to complain about. Excellent car. Hope it lasts!
    Thanks!
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    don't knw anything about stereos.

check out www.acura-cl.com some of those guys have done stuff like that to their car and maybe they can help.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have just reached 60K miles.The manual says to
    replace the timing belt if severe service but normal service can wait till 105K miles.I have been maintaining my car under normal conditions.
    No prolonged idling,no high heat or dust.Dealers
    will tell you 60K because they make money.Is there
    an unbiased mechanic that will answer honestly.
    I have owned many Hondas and have never had a
    belt break.
    I think that you should listen to your wife and get the TL :) OK... I'd say that the manual has to be conservative so that car makers like Honda won't be having problems with sue happy people. However, you should replace the belt rather than suffering a possible engine overhaul. Still, I would bet that you can drive it for about 20k without worrying.... hmmm, depending on your driving.
  • Most mechanics I know say Honda belts should give you 90K no problem. If your manual says 105K for normal service, which you drive, and 60K for extreme, why not split the diff and go for 82.5K?
    If it breaks, you still have a valid complaint as they say 105K.
  • 52mac52mac Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001, Acura CL Type S. The problem I'm having is wind noise coming from the moon roof and both door windows. Is this normal? I don't mean an air leak (like a window open) it's more like a wind rushing (turbulence) sound. It occurs from 60 mph and above. It get so loud that we close the moon roof shade to have a conversation. The dealer has made adjustments to the left door glass which did help somewhat. The dealer states that the wind noise we hear is coming from the outside mirrors, which is a design issue and they can't do anything about it. The dealer kept telling me to fold the outside mirrors in and the wind noise will go away -- it doesn't. The dealer stated that Acura has a service bulletin out with a fix for the moon roof, which was to put a piece of tape under the weather-stripping. Again this helped somewhat. There is a BIG difference if you close the moon roof shade going down the road at 70 mph. Acura does not disagree that there is wind noise coming from the moon roof. What they are telling me is that the noise I hear coming from the moon roof is the result of the car's design and they can't do anything about it. This condition get worse as the temperature gets cooler. Our 96 Accord, with a moon roof, was quieter then our Acura. Other then this problem we love the car.
    Hmmm.. I don't have that much wind noise, but the moon roof shade does reduce a noticeable outside noise.
  • cookiecookie Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2001 cl premium. i concur about excessive wind noise. it seems worse when the
    roof is in vent mode. however, when the moonroof is retracted it is also a nuisance. i did
    have the dealership install a deflector and yet it hasn't made an appreciable difference in limiting the amount of the roar. i was thinking that perhaps i should have the deflector removed. and i don't like the idea of cranking the stereo to outmatch the roar of the wind but that is an alternative. it is a shame to have the moonroof but not be able to enjoy some of its functionality.
    i don't notice any noise with the roof and sunshade closed. i haven't had a need to go to the
    dealership.
  • cookiecookie Member Posts: 4
    hi. has anyone purchased winter floor mats for their 2001-2002 cl?
    do they look nice? do they look like they can handle the elements?
    is the fit customized?
    how much did you pay?
    from where did you get them?
    thanks in advance. -- c.
    My CL with 60k miles has a seat belt that does not retract anymore. Has anybody else had this
    problem? Other than that it still drives like new.
    It would look like new too except for parking lot
    dings.The worst dings come from big SUV owners
    who have got to be the rudest people on the planet.
    I got it when I bought my car.... part of the deal. You can kinda see what they look like and the price at Acura web site. They are sturdy rubber mats so they are somewhat slippery. Only for front seats.

Of course, there are some aftermarket mats, but I don't think that they look as nice.
    tomsr-

I would ask the dealer about this or go to the http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov site to check this out. I don't think there is any limited warranty on seatbelts because of their importance. I think I read this somewhere a long time ago.

fastdriver

• vonlinzvonlinz Member Posts: 12
    I bought a 2001 CL 225 (Premium) which I have enjoyed tremendously and have already put 8500 miles on in the last five months. Although I have not had any major problems, I've noticed a few small problems. One is that the driver's side visor mirror's hinge has become loose and rattles when traveling over rough pavement (which there is a great deal of here in the Midwest). Anyone else have this problem? If I don't take it back to the dealer to fix, I'm tempted to velcro the two pieces together.

Also, for those folks who drive (or have driven) a 5 speed manual transmission, how do find the CL's 5 speed sequential sport-shift mode compares? Do you miss the clutch?
    I have owned many 5 speeds and now have the Acura
    3.2 with the semi automatic.There is no comparison
    of a good 5 speed manual to the semi-auto. The reason being is a computer is overriding your wishes and a torque converter links the motor to the transmission. I find that in full auto the shifts are so perfect I cannot improve on it.The other thing in a crowded area there is no place to safely use the potential of 225 hp and sport
    shifting.I also have a 2.3 CL and for suburban
    driving it is quiet adequate with an auto.
    New Zaino pics of my CL-S. 9,700 miles since 3/28/01- no problems.

Zaino pics Oct. 21, 2001

Enjoy.

fastdriver
    vonlinz - I'd get that visor fix under warranty.... it better be warranty. I haven't heard a squeak or rattle from my car lately... over 10k now. Of course, the sport shift does hesitate if you are not at the right rpm. I found that I could stay in 1st if I rev it quickly to around 5000rpm. You just need to have a different mind set when using the sport shift. However, the fun is downshift.... not upshift :)

fastdriver - ok... now I want to see some interior pix with Zaino :)
    cyranno99-

Mmmmm.....interior Zaino shots? I don't use Zaino on the interior. When I first ordered the Zaino in the summer of 98 for my 99 Chrysler 300M, I ordered the leather treatment stuff, but never used it because the 300 had dark grey "leather" that didn't show any dirt. Simce I was usually the only one in the car, the seats never got dirty.

The CL now has the parchment leather interior, so I'll probably have to use the Zaino interior cleaner on this car if it's still good after all these years. As long as the seats are clean, I don't go crazy with them because it's a lease car. I don't keep them long enough to worry that the leather will dry out or crack.

fastdriver
    I was planning to keep my car for a while, but the leather seats are definitely not to my likings... I'd prefer cars without leather seats.... just easier to maintain.
  • steve1276steve1276 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2001 CL Type S 2 weeks ago. So far I LOVE the car, except for a few annoying features that I can do without. The biggest one being the side view mirror which tilts down every time I shift into reverse. Now I live in the sub sub-burbs and parallel park maybe once per year. I would have much more use for that mirror if it stayed level. Does anybody know any way I can disconnect that mirror to make it stop moving?
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    If you leave the selector switch for the mirror in the "R" (right) position, it won't tilt down in reverse. (It's in the manual)
  • jettsonjettson Member Posts: 23
    Nice pictures! Your car looks absolutely fantastic.
    steve1276-

Congratulations! The longer you have it, the MORE you'll love it! 9,800+ miles so far since 3/28/01 and lovin every minute of it! Click on my name above to see "some" pics! LOL.....

jettson-

Thanks! It's that ZAINO!! ;-))

fastdriver
  • colatkittycolatkitty Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 CL-S and I absolutely love this car. In fact, I just got back from a 550 mile trip to Vegas and have nothing but praises for this car. It is rock solid and stable at triple digit speeds and never once did the engine felt strained, even on steep uphill climbs. One added bonus is the 28mpg that got, even when averaging more than 80mph.

One minor problem that annoyed me is that my moonroof squeaks in the closed position when going over bumps. I have heard a few people mention that there is some kind of tape that the dealer can install to reduce the moonroof rattle. Has anyone had this done, and does it actually solve the problem? Any information regarding this would be appreciated.
    yeah, it's a teflon tape or something. they should be able to do it in a couple minutes. i had them send me some and did it myself and it seems to work for now.
    My 98 CL just reached 60K miles and I took it in to have the seat belt replaced.On the invoice was
    marked recommended emission service.The owners
    manual does not list any sort of service.What the heck is it? After 4 years my car is holding up very well,if I could get back that new car smell
    it would be perfect.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Haven't heard from you for awhile. Good to see you back.
    And I too had the tape applied to my moonroof about 6 months ago and all's been quiet so far.
    emission service.... probably has something to do with where you live.... still... recommended service does not means that it is required.

Well... over 10k in my car and I hope that Acura will use the future RL chasis for the CL (not TL) - rumors has it that the RL might be RWD.
  • colatkittycolatkitty Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I'll pay my dealership a visit and get that tape applied asap.
  • smelloclsmellocl Member Posts: 1
    new 2001 cl-s with nav and spoiler for 29,500
  • elibowmanelibowman Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a used CL-S. It has 23K miles and a spoiler. It is on sale for $25,900, but I got the impression from the sales guy that he could do better. A couple questions:

1. Does anyone have any good info on whether this is a fair price or not? I seemed to think it was pretty good.

2. How is the CL (particularly the Type S) in the snow? I live in the midwest and will have to drive it in the snow several times per winter.

3. I drive a lot of highway miles, and want a car that is comfortable "cruising." Would the standard CL (without the stiffer suspension/17" wheels) be a better choice for me? The CL will be a significant performance upgrade from my current vehicle ('95 Camry), so I am not sure I need to go all the way to a Type S.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I really appreciate it.
    1) i think you can do better. there's probably a couple NEW '01s left around lots that dealers are trying to just get rid of, so check prices on those before you decide on a car with 25k miles already.

2) I live in Eastern PA area where there's some snow, and if you drive cautiously, the 17's aren't too bad...but if you are still concerned, just get a set of snow rims and tires (16"). the biggest problem i had was during acceleration, but then the traction control/vsa would kick in for a couple seconds.

3) For cruising purposes, i feel the type-s is pretty comfortable. I think the biggest difference in comfort is non-cruising driving through rougher roads and city streets, where the standard is probalby a little less harsh...but the -s isn't that harsh either.
  • shallginshallgin Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one for $26,100, which is $2,000 UNDER INVOICE. Feeling lucky right now. Is there some kind of dealer incentive on these cars? Any tips for a new "fan"?
    We're too green with envy to give you any tips.
    Congrats!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ........indicate a 6-speed manual shift transmission for the Acura CL-S. Timeframe given was the fall of 2001.

Fall (at least the California version) is here. It's pretty quiet out there.......and more than just a few Acura folk are giving the Reserve Salute when asked about the 6-spd availability.
    don't hold your breathe.... with this economy who knows when anything will debut... then again, other have rumored that it might come out early next year.
  • 64626462 Member Posts: 14
    Autos usually tack on an extra $800 or so. Think that'll be the case with the CL Type S? If I can hold out and buy manual version for cheaper, then I won't look at used autos...
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Unfortunately for me I didn't get as good a deal as shallgin on my CL-S. I got it for 28,200, only about 300 under invoice. But I am definately happy to be a new member of the CL owners club. :)
    should be cheaper. The Nissan Maxima SE has a 6-speed with the 4-speed auto as a $1,000 (CDN) option.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    In the U.S. the Maxima 6 spd is the same price as the auto.
    Nissan bundles the auto with traction control. Wonder if that accounts for the extra cost?
    shallgin-

Congratulations! The only tip I have for you right now is WATCH OUT FOR CURBS or you'll become a member of the scratched rim club! ;-)) Because the rims stick out further than the tires, it's easy to scratch them if you're not careful.

You'll love this car. I now have 10,400+ miles on mine since 3/28/01. I love to drive this car. Pics are in my profile if you click on my name. Best car I have ever owned!

fastdriver
    I was careless the other night about the front fender flares. I came home late, and I guess I must have been tired. I went shooting into the garage like I've done 1000 times. My son's old bike was placed against the wall with the handle bar sticking out. Well, to make a long story short, from the driver's seat, all you can see is the top edge of the fender. But the fender flares below that actually extend quite a bit beyond. So I clipped the handle bar with the right front fender. And because the other end of the handle bar got pressed up against the wall, now I've got a nice little dimple on the fender :( Not too noticeable. I may try using one of the paintless dent removal shops. Moral of the story: watch out for the bulging fenders!
  • pkuniackepkuniacke Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this car after I totaled (their fault) my 94 Toyota Celica w/160K. The Toyota was pampered from day 1 and still had plenty of orig. equipment on it running like new. I enter the CL club looking for 200K min. out of this car-will I get it? The car was purchased from a certified dealer and has had appropriate maint. I have had a problem with the car not starting after having been parked on a 20% downward slope, having been in neutral prior to engine shut-off, with a small (<1/8 tank) of gas. These are the only common denominators that I can recognize. The dealer mentioned this engine can easily flood and you just have to stomp on the accelerator to flush it out if it dosen't turn over. Also, the dealer just performed a emissions repair related to a recent tech-bulletin that caused the "check engine" light to come on. Suprisingly, the "fix" shown in the t-b involved drilling a 1/4" or so hole at a 45deg' angle into the alum. engine head adjacent to an existing hole. To see it looked like surgery. Bottom line, any similar problems out there? People excited about their cars with less than 50K on them need not respond-that's more like "initial quality" to me.
This discussion has been closed.