Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• jamiestockmanjamiestockman Member Posts: 35
    CL Fans,

2003 Acura CL

Production to begin in 2/02
    -A Six-Speed Manual will be available for the Type-S only.
    -Navigation models will come with On-Star.
    -Anthracite Metallic will be available on all models.
    -The 6-Speed will be very limited in initial months of production...

Though you'd all like to know.

Jamie S.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    I've been paying a lot of attention to my car lately and have noticed that the noise happens every time I start it and drive away. It happens about 5 seconds after I start to drive, usually in reverse. Then a few seconds later it happens again, by that time I'm usually pulling forward. I could also describe the noise as a low pitched hum that lasts at most a second. I know it's not the mirror because I have the tilt feature turned off. I guess I won't worry about it since I was told it was the ABS system, but if starts getting louder or longer, I'll take it in to be serviced.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Don't worry about. From the additional description you gave, I'm positive is the ABS performing the self-test. I hear the same thing on mine --- once when I go in reverse backing out of the driveway and again when I put it in Drive to go forward.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Thanks, even though the service tech said it was okay, it's always nice to get a few opinions. I appreciate the response.
  • jrentjrent Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone help ? trying to locate the web address for CL/S accessories. Need to get a bra for up coming trip
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    you might want to check under aftermarket & accesories
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    jrent-

I got mine at http://www.ahmotor.com The price was much cheaper than the dealer AND it's a REAL Honda part. Get the mud guards too. They are a snap to put on. NO holes to drill or anything.

The bra fits like a glove. If you click on my name above, I THINK there is a link to my bra pics in photopoint.com.

fastdriver
    Hmm...Oh, never mind. It'll just get deleted! :)
    canadiancl-

AH Motors for the Acura one. Macy's for the other kind! ;-))

fastdriver

Hey- this isn't ANY worse or tasteless than the Chrysler Concorde commercial with Savannah and Concorde- the two kids in the car.
  • charliemikecharliemike Member Posts: 87
    Savannah the pr0n star? =)
    charliemike-

??????????? Got me. I would think if it was, Chrysler's sales would be through the roof! ;-))

fastdriver
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    anybody from southern cal leased cl type s? what kind of monthly payment? downpayment? mileage, term? any special lease going on?
    Just thought I'd check in because they say that people who like their cars don't post as much as those who have problems.

I have 11,400+ miles on my CL-S since 3/28/01. Two dealer visits for oil/filter changes and a tire rotation/balance. That's it! Going Monday for the third oil/filter change.

This is by far, the best car I have ever owned. It's comfortable, quiet and fast! In addition, my gas mileage has always been in the 20's from day one- highway/city driving and AC on/off. Rarely ever got that kind of mileage with my previous car.

If you don't need 4-doors, this is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

fastdriver
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    and if you need 4 doors, get a tl-s instead.
    my car is running as fine as the day it left the dealership... after 10k+.. thank you very much :) OH yea.. it's more than one year old now.
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    2 years in april.

about 18k miles, no rattles (and creaks after i lubed the seals w/ silicone for the winter...this REALLY helps and takes 5 minutes), no other problems. i had a foggy left headlight after carwashes but that seemd to go away somehow (after i had my bra on and took it off about a week later...maybe it did something to the seals?).
  • kaz25kaz25 Member Posts: 2
    Haven't had the pleasure to drive the newest style CL yet. Knowing Acura, its drive & performance is probably great. It looks pretty cool, but I just can't warm up to the rear end yet. If they could just put the rearend of the old Legend Coupe on it, I'd buy one next bonus day.
    probably improper ventilation causes the foggy headlight....

well.. some people like the rear styling of the Accord coupe better... hard to say what Acura will do with the next makeover, but I doubt that they will go retro...
    I actually think the rear end of the CL-S is the most attractive part of the car -- clean & elegant.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Has anyone bought a CL in the bay area recently? How much did you end up paying? It looks like the base CL would be an awesome deal if they sell it around invoice ($26K)...
  • thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    that the 2003 Acura CL-S with the 6-sp is gonna dust some BMW feathers.
  • We paid $26K in San Jose back in April for the Base, which was under invoice with the dealer options that appeared to be standard issue there.
    I've seen it advertised many times since then for the same amount. Excellent value.

I've driven the TL-S, and don't notice any difference in power over the Base engine. Plus, I prefer the leather in the base over the perforated leather in the S-type. Except for the wheels, which don't look all that different, the exterior looks the same, as well. And, the Base's suspension is already pretty stiff. I don't know if I'd like it any stiffer. (No wise cracks!)
    When I brought my CL in for its 3rd oil change on Monday, the service manager did say that the 6-speed is coming on the 2003 CL. Who knows? It was supposed to be here for 2002. Doesn't make any difference to me because I hate to shift. Here in the Northeast, I'd be shifting every two minutes!

Mmmmmmm.....stiffer? Never drove the base CL because I wanted the 260HP so I can't compare, but while the S is stiffer, it's not bad at all. ;-)

fastdriver
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Sounds like you did get a very nice deal.... It looks as though if anyone is in the market for a coupe the CL, Accord EX V6 and the Solara SLE are all good choices, but I think the Solara gets shafted by being priced in between these cars because you dont get much more in the Solara than the Accord, but you do get a LOT more in the CL than the other two.
    Actually I've always considered the 2001 & 2002 Accord V6 Coupe to be a great value, whether compared to the Solara, base CL or CL-S, or any other import coupe for that matter. The styling of the front seats, console and shifter is a little bland, but otherwise doesn't look half bad and you can't beat the list of standard equipment for the price.
    if I wanted a stick then I would buy a sportscar... anyway, the type S is not stiff if you compare it to a base Maxima. Although, you would hear the "thunk" more loudly when you go over bumps... a nice sound to me.
    I like that sound the tire makes when you go over a bump -- as long as its not accompanied by a rattle!
  • I like the sound the bump makes, as long as he doesn't scream too much..
    the trunk is quite roomy for your "bumps", eh?

Rattles... my car hardly rattles now.... I can't explain it, but I am happy with my car's comfort and performance :)
  • paradoxishparadoxish Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,

Just from reading a few posts on here I think I already know the answer.. but I might as well ask. Right now I have a (dear god make it go away!) '97 Mazda 626 LX, but come February I'm going to be buying something a bit newer and hopefully a hell of a lot better. I originally had my eyes on a new Altima 3.5SE, but the interior quality really turned me off. I can't afford a brand new CL-S, but good condition low mileage '99 CL 3.0s are selling for about $19k around here - which is just in my price range.

So is it worth it? I'll say right now I love the looks and the interior. I haven't got a chance to test drive one yet, but I've heard they're spectacular to drive (then again, it's not like they could possibly be more of an annoyance to drive than my 626).

Yes? No? Maybe so?
  • paradoxishparadoxish Member Posts: 2
    One more question. I can't seem to dig up too much information on '99 CLs. Most of the reviews I find are for '98s or '01 CL-S's. Also, so far I've only discussed pricing with dealers and haven't gotten a chance to really talk about the car/test drive one. Anyway... here's my question -what kind of features should I expect to get? What options were available on '99s and what was standard? I'm looking to buy one as loaded as possible, so I'm curious as to exactly what that would include.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    have you tried looking at the detailed info on the "Used" pages of Edmunds? Sorry I can't be of help.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • vineee1vineee1 Member Posts: 16
    help me, cant make up my mind between a silver or black?????????
  • compuladycompulady Member Posts: 9
    I have the silver. It is easy to maintain and always looks clean. Black on the other hand, shows swirl marks more, shows dirt, and requires a lot more detailing maintenance to look good. Many folks love black cars though.

I adore my 2001 CL. You'll love the ride in the CL no matter which color you choose.
  • hammer1177hammer1177 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 Acura CL 3.0 and love the car, well not as much as my new 2002 CL S-Type but that's another story. The 1999 came standard with a wide array of standard features, if you look up the specs on Edmunds you can see the full list of features. The ride quality and handling are very good, not as precise or quick as the new CL's but I think you will enjoy the car I know I have. For anyone looking for any new Acura's in the NY, NJ, PA area let me know.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    For any of you who may have wanted to see the 2003 CL, here's a link. This shows the new taillights, base CL wheels (much, much better looking, IMHO), the new CL Type-S wheels (not as nice as now--why did they change them?), and the Type-S interior with the six speed stick and new brushed aluminum replacing the gray wood. Here, feast your eyes!

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/acura/acura.html

beach15-

Thanks for the link! THIS is what you need to get! No squeaks, no rattles, no jerking transmission AND plenty of get up and go! ;-))

11,800+ miles on my CL-S since 3/28/01 and loving every minute of it! NO problems!

fastdriver
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    I went to the show yesterday and posted some pictures at http://public.fotki.com/mdaniel
    mdaniel-

THANKS for the pics. They were great.

fastdriver
    beach15 & mdaniel-
    Look at these- http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/06/autos-383759.htm
    That Chrysler influence is appearing FAST! Love the looks of that Chevy.
    fastdriver
    just wondering if anyone who has used any of the zaino products would be able to tell me if you are doing a brand new vehicle within 2-3 days of purchase would u have to use the clay bar.. thanks for your help.
    mdaniel - nice shoe :) Very good pictures though...

fastdriver - looks aren't enough for me... gotta be reliable :) I'll stick with the Acura for a while.

vinee1 - ifyou live in hot climate... avoid dark colors.. fastdriver can help you with Zaino stuff.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on expected 0-60 times for the new six-speed Type S?
    six seconds flat.... but I'll stick with my SS... I want to see Acura trims some fat off the CL... it's a little longer than the Accord... I think 186 inches would be good...
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I noticed in the 2003 CL-S, there is a small antenna on the roof of the car. Is this for radio reception or for a phone?

Didn't the previous models use a window antenna?
    I agree with cyranno that the CL is a little porky. Shorter length and about 400 lbs less would make it a real Bimmer-killer.

And is that a hand-operated parking brake for the 2003 CLS? Wonder if that is going to be for all CL and TL across the board? I may even consider trading in just for the hand brake and the aluminum accent!

BTW, I've wonder why Honda couldn't have incorporated the parking brake into the console in much the same way as the '02 CR-V?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    The antenna looks just like the one on the RL for OnStar.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • 64626462 Member Posts: 14
    I think that's a major step foward in making the car more of a sports coupe. I never understood why the CL didn't have it before. I'd also surmise that if the 2003 CL has it, that the TL is going that way in the next year or so...
    vineee1-

YEP! Do the clay thing. You won't regret it. New cars can have all kinds of crap on them especially rail dust. Don't forget to get the new ZFX additive that just came out. Thjat eliminates the need for Z1. You can put on 3 coats of Z in one day with this new additive!

fastdriver
    thanks for your response,i probably will clay it first,but i was just wondering if i was to skip the clay and do the z1 and z2 or the new product and the z2 would it be bad
This discussion has been closed.