Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II

merbesfieldmerbesfield Member Posts: 2
meredith, what happened to my topic #574 before the switch?

Comments

• woolyback2woolyback2 Member Posts: 21
    Seeing as we are switching to a new section for the New Sierra/Silverado 2500 & 3500 Topic I would like to take this opportunity ask all new purchasers of the 8.1 for their input.
    I would like to find out what your towing experience is and mpg or anything else that you think would be of interest to a potential buyer.
    Any problems with the SES light ??
    All information would be appreciated, thanks.
  • bsilerbsiler Member Posts: 30
    My business just bought one that my partner will drive.He picked it up on Tuesday. I drove from his house to the service station for new tires. It only had 20 miles on it and I was driving through a housing development. It feels real good! I drive a 00 2500 and the HD is a lot different. I'm sure the 4:10 rear end has a little to do with that. It feels like a lot of power. If you like power I don't think the little bit of difference in gas mileage will make much difference.

I can't wait to drive it when it's got some miles on it. That is if let me [turn it loose].

Billy
  • bsilerbsiler Member Posts: 30
    That is if "he will" let me [turn it loose].

I need a proof reader!
  • mth1mth1 Member Posts: 12
    I ordered mine from Huffines for $500.00 over. I placed the order with the dealer on Aug 02. It seems the 8.1 was on constraint for a long time. I now have a build date of Dec 04. GM tells me it may be here before Christmas. The Power Tour was in my area about two weeks ago and one of the guys that does the driving said the 8.1 was getting between 9 and 10 towing one of the large trailers. He also said the DMAX was getting 15 towing the same type of trailer. The Power Tour is geared for selling the DMAX. I cannot see paying that much extra for the diesel and the only reason I ordered the 8.1 is so I could get the Allison trans.
  • richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    bmaige

You asked if anyone knows for sure if the Duramax has Aluminum heads. Yes they do I took delivery of my truck on Nov. 1st.

Richard Mc
  • t37l1011t37l1011 Member Posts: 24
    In response to #563, my surburban has a bad "reverberation" when running at highway speeds with the back windows down. In fact, it's so bad it will run you out of the truck. So, needless to say, we keep the back windows up when on the highway. The kids don't appreciate that, but my ears can't take the pounding. I'm one of the 2 guys in here who prefer the manual transmission and after reading about the guy who wore out 3 automatics towing with ford's and gm's, I plan on staying with that attitude. I'm sure the allison is a better transmission, but at 2,000 bucks, it better be. I just don't won't to be the one to pay all that money to find out.

Bud
  • t37l1011t37l1011 Member Posts: 24
    Hey richard, I see you are in here. Any mileage reports for us with that duramax of yours?

bud
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    I would really like to see someone's 8.1L MPG's...everyone keeps saying the mileage will not be too much different than the 6.0..I just don't see it..365CU VS 496CU..I have gotten 14 on highway and 12 city..4Wheeler Mag tested the DMAX and 8.1L and there mileage reports for mixed driving was 15.8-DMAX and 9.1MPG for 8.1..unloaded ext cab 4x4's..

I could see maybe the 8.1 getting better MPG's if the 6.0 needed to work harder to push the truck but i don't see that at all..Honestly, I feel the 6.0 has a lot of power and hauls butt...again if i towed a lot i would get the 8.1/allison combo but the most i tow is a 22 ft bay boat...

anyway , I would like to see some REAL LIFE numbers from someone with 8.1 and 4.10...
  • tnglatortnglator Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a 2500 HD with a HD NVG manual tranny.
    Did I make a mistake? I wont be towing an
    incredible amount at least not for now. Has
    anybody ever driven the manual, how does it feel?
    I would appreciate some input while there is still
    time to change my order if I want to. Mileage i
    figure would be around the same since fourth in the
    auto and 5th in the manual are the same and I do
    alot of freeway driving....please help me out with
    this decision...
  • n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    be posting GPM's for the 8.1 but there just aren't many of us who have taken delivery yet due to the Constraint eairlier.

Better note that the MOST of the early 8.1's ordered by Dealers for inventory have the 4.10 gear ratio -- all gm would allow for the non-sold dealer units - think they wanted to show off the power better as if it needed it.

EVERYONE - WHEN YOU POST THE 8.1 MILEAGE NO'S BE SURE TO LIST THE GEAR RATIO ---!!!!
    mth1 -- WHAT GEAR RATIO DID THE CHEVY POWER TOUR 8.1 HAVE?????

mth1 -- Glad to see your TPW post. Means maybe my Sept. 05 tpw should show up in about 30 days.
    (13 weeks and counting)

A NEW THREAD FOR THE 8.1 SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO ME WOOLYBACK2 -------

75v
  • botiebotie Member Posts: 1
    4x4,

I would also like to see the mpg numbers for the 8.1. I am doing my research on buying another Crew Cab, but will probably go with the 6.0 because of mileage.

I owned a 99 CC 4wd SB with the 7.4 liter and 3.73 gears and only got 9 MPG in the city and never even got 12 MPG on the highway. I would have hated to see what it would have gotten towing anything heavy. I sure would like to see some numbers.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...you need to WAIT!.....how can we give results as a whole when they are barely out? Someones mileage with 4 tanks of gas isn't hardly a good idea of longer term....

By 2002 Model years coming out we will have a better Idea what's up.......

- Tim
  • loyalgmcguyloyalgmcguy Member Posts: 64
    I had an opportunity to test drive an XC, LB, 2500 HD with an 8.1 and 4.10 gears this weekend. The power and acceleration were very impressive. If MPG are within reasonable limits, I'll buy this combination. Woolyback, I ordered white as well. Hate to complain about a truck I can't even get, but what's the deal with the black flares. My dealer advises they can't be deleted nor removed, only repainted to match. Curious why GMC would do this.
  • mfulk3mfulk3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought 2001 2500hd lb from Denoyer in Albany. A real good bunch of salemen. They had several 2500hd on their lot. Please send me an e-mail if I can assist anymore mfulk3@aol.com
    Be Removed. Standard painted metal underneath like what you see on the 1500's.

Dealer removing mine first thing off the carrier!!

75v
    take 'em off for sure now!

LOL

- Tim
    this flair question comes up. I enjoy the heck out of your pictures and your comments. And your the only one that post splash guards that fit the flairs and I thank you for that if i should leave them on.

But I won't -

Have this BAD thing about engineers not designing things into the truck in the first place and then to make up for that 'mistake' throwing a piece of plastic on as to what looks to me as an afterthought. Then to top it off GM tries to save money by not even painting 'em to match UNLESS YOU GET PUTER!!

But your truck does look very good the way your guards fit the flairs. I'm glad to know that so Thanks and please don't be toooooo upset with us'ens that don't like the d**! things. :-)

Keep those picture coming - your right that this would be a lot of ZZZZZZZZZZZZ's but for you.

75v
    ..don't pat him on the back tooooo much!

This forum rolled fine without him......but he is fun to pick on...

heheheheeee

Wait 'till a bash someday....

- Tim
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Richard, how fast are your highway miles, I am Really Curious of the Milage going 75-80mph and what RPMS you are turning as this is what I normally drive. Do you have 245 or 265, and what is your setup (4x4),I forgot(Too much Turkey and hunting). I would be really happy to average 18 with the duramax if I order one, my half ton only gets 14 going 75-80 so it would be an improvement, even with Diesel $.20 higher than Gas in Illinois. I hope all of you had a great thanksgiving. I am with Ryan and Like the flares, although on the Polo Green GMC that I would order, they are Painted, Oh well.

Best Wishes,

Hunter
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Im not mad your taking them off. I have become to be known as the flare guy. Im not gonna hold it against you or anything the trucks look great with them and without them.

Ryan
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    OK, I am back "on-the-air,' full of turkey and ???. I don't know the GM numbers on the manuals, but when I get them I will post them. I will keep this post as a reminder. I get all the manuals and use them all at one time or another. I have a F250, 1988 4x4 and have used every manual in the bunch - the latest was this weekend when the clutch went out. Fortunately it was only the clutch master cylinder instead of the slave cylinder - you have to pull the transmission to replace this one and I have already enjoyed that once. You ought to try this in light rain at 32 degrees - it builds character! So the manuals come in handy if you are a do-it-yourselfer. I may not sell the F250 when I get the 2500HD, as I may not be able to sell myself on the idea of driving thru the barnyard in 6 inches of cow/bull do-do with the new one - but then again I might. Why am I buying it - certainly no logical reason, it is just that I WANT IT.
    My color is BLACK with Graphite interior - LT with leather seats - another real nice convenience when you have wrenches and fence pliers in your pocket and grease on your butt. Think I should keep the Ford? I like your color of Indigo blue. Was going to get red, but I already own 2 red cars.
    No, Ryan didn't straighten me out on the Z71 question before the ink was dry, but loyalgmcguy did. Thanks loyal one.
    cowboyjohn1
    you want an LT for riding thru Cow do do??

I hunt on a dairy farm and see the insides of the farmers trucks.....no thanks

- Tim
  • trw3trw3 Member Posts: 35
    While I'm thinking of it I was under my truck the other day and I noticed the frame is marked 35743 not 25743 as it should be on a 2500HD crew cab. This should denote a 1ton if I am correct. Can anyone tell me the difference if any in these frames,brakes,suspension etc? Did I get a 1ton with 2500HD badges? The truck was built the first wk. of Oct. Anybody got any thoughts on this?
    I kind of like the ugly black flares myself on the white truck but according to the brochure the SLE/SLT models will eventually only come with white flares.
    There is a little footnote regarding the black flares that says the "Color will be Summit White interim 2001 model year".
    So when I eventually get mine they may only be shipping with white flares on the white trucks.

Regarding the 8.1 with 4.1 or 3.73 ratio is anyone out there towing with either combination.

mgdvhman --- you're probably right about waiting for awhile to get more input on the mpg for the 8.1 but I'm afraid I don't have your patience to wait until the 2002 models come out. The mileage doesn't change that drastically on a new truck at least it never has on any of mine. However that can be factored in when it comes time to evaluate the responses new buyers may submit.
  • tnglatortnglator Member Posts: 4
    So nobody has a comment on the manual that comes in the 2500 HD with the 6.0L (NVG 4500)?
  • suburbansrulesuburbansrule Member Posts: 34
    I think when they went to the new HD class the 2500's are actually ton chassis and the 3500's are duallys only. In the past you could order a single rear wheel one ton or dual rear wheel all 3500's. In this new class the LD 2500 is 8600 gvw the HD is 9200 gvw. all the old style 3500's were 9200gvw in the single wheel set-up.
    Hope this helps,
    Suburbansrule
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    When I ordered up my new Dodge a couple years ago the dealer was preping a special order truck for a livestock farmer. All leater interior but vynyl flooring instead of carpet. This was all decked out sans carpet. The salesman said the guy wanted a nice truck that he could work and would be easy to clean.
    my buddy that worked on the farm....had his Stang for personal...and an old Grandville he used just to drive to work...nothing else......that car stunk!

- Tim
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    LOOK AT THE COW POO LIKE THIS - IT BUYS THE TRUCK.
    THAT SMELL MEANS MONEY! COULDN'T AFFORD IT WITHOUT IT!!
    city folks have to like it!

LOL

- Tim
    If it weren't for cow poo, you wouldn't appreciate breathing that nice clean city air.
    Po and not Pig Po - More power to ya and that cowpo buying the truck.

But DARN -- Don't sell that F250 for about five years or SWITCH to horse back :-)

Wonder if Roger350 survived T-day??

75v
  • bigorangefanbigorangefan Member Posts: 22
    i towed for the first time over the holiday weekend about a 300 mile round trip, pulling appx 8,000lbs and averaged about 10.5 with 8.1 and 3.73's with 265's, 95% freeway no hills. glad i didn't get the 4.10 as this combo is awesome. good luck with your order.

chris
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    George W was seen leaving someplace and what did he get into?

A blue suburban with what o black fender flares hehehe he has good taste

Ryan
    The 'burb belongs to the Secret Service and they probably don't care.

Did you see all those antennas on the roof??

Bet they threw away the OnStar one!!! :-)

75v
    Towing report. How many miles ya got on it.

75v
    You have just the combo I'm wanting to order but I'm having trouble with the dealer not knowing all of the details regarding the options. First he said I couldn't get the power bench seats and then he said he thinks I can.
    Did you get the bucket seats or the bench seat.. I have the bucket seats in my 2000 Sierra and found that the arm rests were pretty useless for me. I found that in my normal position I couldn't rest my arm on them unless I tucked my elbow tight into my side.
    I tried the bench seat and found there was more room and space to rest the arms.

Did you get the full overhead console.. looking at the brochure it looks like there is a full overhead console and also a smaller console that has the AC and heating controls on it.
    Does anyone know anything about the smaller console, i.e. which model does it come on etc.
    I can't seem to find out anything from the dealer about it.
    Did you get the trailering mirrors ?
    Are you towing a trailer or 5th wheel,
    Did the extra height of the truck cause a leveling problem with the 5th wheel if you have one.
    How about emailing me with all of the details,
    I don't want to bore the other readers with the trivial stuff, I have a ton of questions for you .
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    Been off the air for several weeks now, and don't want to spend hours searching through previous posts.

I'm thinking about trading in my Y2K 2500 for a 2500HD with the Duramax diesel or 8.1l gas. Anybody running either of these engines with the ZF 6 speed manual? If so, how is the performance and mileage? After years of running automatics, I think I want to go back to a manual on my next truck.
    I don't know if you've drove one, but you gotta try out the new Allison it's awesome!! They shift unbelievably smooth and the grade braking is a long overdue idea. It's a feature thats gonna save me alot of brake pads here in western N.Y.
    Suburbansrule
  • bigorangefanbigorangefan Member Posts: 22
    i have appx 1,100 miles on my truck bigo, and i'am not towing a 5th wheel trlr. pwr htd mirrors, bucket seats(much wider and improved over prev mdls) ovd cnsl, hvac cntrls not on ovhd cnsl wooly, ditto all prev cmnts on allison and 8.1 combo. removed door mldgs with hair dryer and had flairs painted to match truck(torch red) i'am very happy with the look.

chris
  • richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    Hunter98

I have a crew cab, shortbox, 2wd. The highway speeds were between 65mph and 75mph. I have had it up to 85, but didn't pay attention to the rpms sorry. I was supprised that I was going that fast, I was trying to get back down to the speed limit.
    Richard Mc
    Duramax or 8.1 and Allison.

Keep checking with different dealers - You can order, just have to be a little patient for delivery and don't give in to that 'LIST PRICE' BS.

75v
    Duramax or 8.1 Allison?

My dealer has 3 Hd's instock with 6.0's...

- Tim
    75v
    ....I know 6.0/Allison is a no go

- Tim
    The 6.0 don't put out enough power to need a heavy duty trans.
    Thanks Chris for the information.

Does anyone know if the split bench seat on the 8.1 can be individually adjusted by the passengers and driver.
    Always had bucket seats before so it was never an issue.
    Also is it possible to get the bench seats with dual power.

Ordered my truck today and got it at 3% over invoice. Ordered the 8.1. 2500 HD. SB ExC, 3.73 ratio, SLE.
    Probably won't get it until Feb. Sometime in between then and now I will have to try to sell my 2000. 5.3L 1500 Sierra
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    The New style GM seats the 40 sections are totally independent, fore-aft and tilt, the center section is fixed.

Hope this helps

Hunter
    Has anyone anywhere seen a GMC crew cab shortbox 4x4 with an 8.1 on a dealers lot?
    Thanks,
    Suburbansrule
  • mth1mth1 Member Posts: 12
    If you plan to put a taller tire on (285 or 33 inch) you may want to consider the 4.10 gear. If you put a 285 on with a 4.10 the true ratio would be 3.80. With a 3.73 the true ratio would be 3.45. there is a reason GM does not offer a 3.42 in the HD trucks. Just something to think about. Look at 4lo.com under tire change.
This discussion has been closed.