Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II

Comments

• n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    Yeh - and I could post some without the UBF's.

Also the rear wheel well closed in down to the bottom of the fenders etc.

75v
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ....and now that I know people don't like 'em.....well hell....I GOTTA have them now!

..farr be it from me to upset anyone on purpose....

dohh

- Tim
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I posted some pictures of my 2500HD Crew Cab at http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=213596&uid=122348&members=1 for those who may be interested
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Pulled my big ol travel trailer at 75mph down the freeway today for about 40 miles. Able to use 5th gear on level and slight hills, 6.0L 2500HD 4x4.

Rear diff pretty warm (140 to 150F) post tow. Didn't get the engine warm enought to pressurize the hoses very much (outside temp around 25F). VERY STABLE at speed and brakes are wonderfull.
    Did you notice if the Transmission Temperature gauge moved very much when you were towing?
    5th gear probably means manual trany....nevermind
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Thanks Tim, thought I was the only to actually like the UBF's. Was afraid to be chastised by posting. At least I am not the only freak out there??
    -Eric
    but I don't understand why on certain colors you have no choice, like blue for instance, and other colors like pewter you can get painted or black?
    So what, are we the three musketeers??? Add insult to injury, in my ignorance, I thought there was only the original UBF's and now the "purty" white ones... Painted??? Are they available in any color now?
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Are not my cup of tea either. I ordered my 2500 painted Dark Carmine Red because that color comes with satin black flares, not color matched.

I added the UBF's to my 99 1500 4x4 that is painted Charcoal Metallic. Both trucks look great with the UBF's

Mike L
    - Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The flags are there to remind you what country you belong to. Ya know as we get older, we tend to forget such things like country, where we parked the truck at the mall, and if we're married.

BTW, I didn't know that you liked black flares....guess you and ryan have something in common after all.

BWAHAHAHA!!
    Are black flares that bad? As for forgetting things, would forgetting the wife be a bad thing? Maybe only if it was at a roadside, say like 900 miles from home, and she actually managed to find her way home. But would it be bad?
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    which colors come with black flares, I like them personally.

Where is the 6 speed manual made? I heard Germany and that kind of made me mad (instert swear words here), since when I get a 2500HD I would have the money to burn on a 2000$ auto transmission, plus I want the manual anyway, but I guess no 8.1 L for me.

and what was the US Canadian component of your trucks (the little sticker says)

they don't make any of the HD's in Canada right?

thanks for answering my questions
    ...then how come you don't have a flag??.....I know...cuz Hawaii is really Japan?

dohh

....I like the natural textured black flares..as well as painted ones to match the bottom or whatever. I do like the textured black better than glossy painted black.

although I don't see this as big enough of a deal to continue to type away about it....much less tell yawl 20 times about how I will "remove them right away"....ask Ryan to fill in here..it's more his subject

LOL

- Tim
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Whats with the Flags?

Ok, I get it now.

Whats up with Hawaii boy?
    Following is Silverado Sales Planner response on the UBS's when I asked recently -----

As to the Black Flares. We are trying to get enough capacity to get more in
    color but until then, because certain states require the flares in that GVWR we
    have to put them on as is. There just isn't a good way to do it multiple
    different ways by state that can be cost effective.

75v
    to get the flag. It's just that I haven't decided on which color would look best. They have a good selection to choose from, edmunds is on top of this thing....too bad they don't have flags for the individual states. I'll get around to it eventually. In the mean time, I'll just enjoy being different than the rest.

Oh and Tim, you don't know how close you are to being correct on that Hawaii comment. A few years ago, a Japanese billionaire came here and bought a couple hundred homes including one for $57,000,000. I guess they are worth a little more than Hendrix's guitar.

BWAHAHAHA!!
    rather have Jimi's axe..

- Tim
    You should see the property tax on that $57,000,000 home....was close to $1,000,000 a year.
  • trw3trw3 Member Posts: 35
    Well since you mentioned it, yeah I did notice a clunk in my rearend of my cc also.It does it after you back approx. 4-5 ft. The first time it happened it scared me so bad I thought I had backed over something in the drive. It has done it a few times since Oct. (2800 miles now). I had the dealer check it out and they said it wasn't a problem. It was so bad I figured it was a u-joint or the backlash on the rear wasn't setup right. I personally checked it and I appeared o.k. The service mngr.told me to keep in mind the free play in the transfer case, the lenght of the drive shafts (2)w/carier bearings. and the backlash (free play) in the rearend amplifies the clunk. I thought it was a little extreme myself. I told the dealer it wasn't a problem if he didn't think so but its his baby to fix under warranty when it breaks.Good luck.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    My new 2500HD CC does it, my old '89 F350 CC did it for 180,000 miles. Just lots of backlash throughout the system as your srvcmgr described.....

Don't worry about it....
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. Haven't noticed it as much lately. Did notice the valves wanting to chatter a little bit when going up a hill about 75mph
    Took my first long trip this weekend to Destin and back from Atlanta. Averaged 14.3 on the Highway. Looks like 12-13 is pretty much going to be the reality. 2500HD Crew Cab,4x4,6.0 automatic. I also noticed that it doesn't take much to scratch up the paint in the bed. Next stop Line-X.
    How many miles you got on your truck?

My mileage and power improved after 10K miles.

Mike L
    only has 2300 miles so far. I hope I get the same improvements after 10,000.
  • rmartin3rmartin3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi all. I have been reading this string for a long time as I ponder a 2500HD with the 8.1L. Here in Birmingham, I have seen two 1500HD, yes 1500HD vehicles with 6.0 liter engines on dealer lots. They looked just like 2500HD, same grill, springs, etc. Anybody know what's up with a 1500HD vs a 2500HD?
    a marketing scam....call a 2500 a 1500..and it will sell better!

- Tim
  • bigorangefanbigorangefan Member Posts: 22
    having bed sprayed Thursday for $315.00, 2500hd b. does anybody know if this is a fair price?

thanks/Chris
  • bigorangefanbigorangefan Member Posts: 22
    short bed under the rail(dohhhh)
    I know some people have had problems with Steeltex...but I am saying that if you have a 2500...and replace the 245's....get 10 ply LT rated tires...

- Tim
    The 2500HD has a GVWR of 9200#. Which actually qualifies it as a 1 ton. I think the 1500HD will actually be a 3/4 ton with a 8600#? GVWR. One thing I would check is the brakes. The 2500HD has big 4 wheel disc brakes with some kind of set up that will apply more power to the rear when needed to make for more effective braking. My experience so far is that they seem to work pretty ding dang good. I am curious to get some reports on the 1500HD. Had it been available when I ordered mine I might have went that direction although I have no complaints about the 2500HD
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    My 2000 2500EC with the HD suspension and trailer towing package has got the oversize disc brakes with the "dynamic proportioning valve" you speak of. Folks can argue about anything they want on these trucks, but if they don't think this is the most awsome braking system ever on a pickup truck, they better get them checked out because something must be wrong.

BTW: The 2000 2500 with the HD suspension falls between the 2001 2500 and 2500HD. Mine came with a little addition on the window sticker that stated it was rated for 9200lbs towing capacity. The sticker also shows "GMC Sierra 2500HD" and yes, it is a 2000 model.

Jim
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    On a long bed over the rail, I paid $395 or $399. I forget exactly what it was. Very happy with it so far, but will reserve my full opinion until it has been in use for a couple of years.

For anyones information, I weighed the pickup yesterday - 8.1, Allison, 4x4, long bed, with about 2/3 tank of gas
    6370 pounds
  • jchamberlain2jchamberlain2 Member Posts: 4
    I have been researching the HD line for some time to determine what would be more appropriate for myself. I consluded that unless you are going to do significant towing, you can get all of the benefits of the HD series without paying the extra for the 8.1 / Allison option. I have driven both and can say the the 8.1 rocks, for my self, it is needed considering the cost of the truck and the gas mileage. don't forget, the 1500HD is rated the same as a standard 1500 as mentioned in earlier posts. I finally ordered my this week 1500HD 4x4 373 SB. does anyone have information on how long to get a TPW at this time?
    1500HD is rated at 8600 GVW....same as my 2K 2500...

a 1500 is rated at 7200GVW?

- Tim
    1500 is 6400 GVW. But the truck weighs about 2000 lbs less than that, so it has a 2000 lb load capacity. My 2500 has an 8600 GVW and has a load capactiy of about 3000 lbs.

The 1500HD is the Crew Cab model. That is a very long and heavy model. Maybe the reason it is called a 1500HD is the load carry capacity is closer to a 1500 than to a 2500.

Mike L
    7200 is the 2500LD....bed capacity may be similar to a n-n-crew cab 1500...but comparing crew to crew...we are talking like 1/2 the capacity!

1500HD to 2500HDCC

- Tim
    NON!
  • crunk1crunk1 Member Posts: 3
  • crunk1crunk1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a new 2500 ext cab-short bed waiting at the dealership. Finally got them to take back by 2000 1500. Wanting advise on location of 5th wheel in this truck. Seems like I saw something about this topic earlier but can not locate that post now. Thanks
    Over on 8100/alli topic -

75v
  • sierra2500hdsierra2500hd Member Posts: 32
    I just took my truck on my first long trip. The truck had 1400 miles on it when we left. My wife and I drove from Philadelphia to Mont Tremblant in Canada and back. About 1100 miles round trip. Other than my wife, myself, two bags and two pairs of skis, the truck was empty. I kept it on cruise at 75 mph about 95% of the way (except when the radar detector would go off, damn those brakes do work good). I only averaged 11.4 mpg. I've read people getting around 14 with the same truck. I know we were going through the mountains, but the Adirondacks aren't really that steep. I've been getting around 10.5 with heavy loads and a heavy foot with my everyday driving. I really expected the milage to be far better than what it was. Is this what I should expect the milage to be, or should I be a little concerned? The truck is a 2500HD XC 4WD LB 6.0/auto 4.10 locker.

Lou
  • trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    Lou, I have the same truck as you except mine is a short bed. When new in Oct, I got around 11.5 in town and 14 on the hiway. It now has 5,000 miles and I get 13 and 15. I heard that the mileage gets better as you get closer to 10,000 miles and for me it seems to be working. I have noticed that even small hills tends to cut mileage quickly. Hope this helps.

Stan
  • gordo13gordo13 Member Posts: 20
    Trucks4me2, your mileage is really good. You mentioned the mileage goes down when you climb up hills, can both of you comment on the trucks power to climb the hills? Also, do any of you tow up hills, can you give your experiences? I was looking at the diesel mainly for the MPG and range but if the 6.0 has the capability to get 15, I might be changing my mind. I will be towing around 7000lbs. but it will be up hills in 120 degree or higher summer temps.
    Thanks
  • sierra2500hdsierra2500hd Member Posts: 32
    I don't do any towing, but I do haul loads that are around 2-3000 pounds. I haven't had any problems at all with the 6.0 handling hills. I'm only at 2600 milles, but I don't think it will ever be a problem. What Stan said about hills cutting mpg makes sense. Could also explain why my milage was low on my trip. I don't think the mountains of upstate New York are that large, but you do spend a good bit of time climbing uphill. I wouldn't worry whether or not the 6.0 can tow your 7000 pound trailer uphill. Seems to me there's more than enough power to get that job done easily. Getting 15 mpg??? I'll let you know the first time I ever get in that range. Don't wait too long though, with my heavy foot I don't think I'll ever reach that kind of milage.
    I've actually noticed my valves pinging a little when I go uphill sometimes. Has anyone else noticed this? Wasn't sure if it was normal or if I should have the timimg checked already. 2500HD Crew cab, 4x4, 6.0 automatic.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Gordo,
    I have a 2K 2500HD extended cab with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears, automatic. I tow a 7400lb travel trailer with no problems, get about 8-8.5 mpg in hills. I haven't had a chance to flatland tow, yet.

I know, the HD wasn't available in '00, but the 2500 with HD suspension and towing was. It falls between the current 2500 and 2500HD. As equipped, the sticker states tow rating 9200lbs.

As I have stated before, the window sticker is printed "Sierra 2500HD" Go figure...

Jim
  • gordo13gordo13 Member Posts: 20
    Good useful information for me to make my power choice, I'll make the decision one of these days. I'm going with the CC SWB now I just need to pick my power.
  • podchevyownerpodchevyowner Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 2500 HD with the 8.1 with 900 miles on it. When I start it up cold the engine has a knocking sound, like a diesel (lifters?). It also has very high oil pressure, approx. 65 PSI when cold and at hwy speeds. Both the noise and the oil pressure seem to go away after about 5 minutes and the engine warms up. The oil pressure at idleafter warm up is approx. 45 PSI. I have written to Chevy and talked to the local dealer and they have been more than worthless. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms/problems?
This discussion has been closed.