Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    please visit this new discussion: (1994 - 1998) Chevy 4x4 Silverado. Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Pickups Host
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    Glad to see you back. I haven't seen you post in a while. A while back you asked what kind of car Paterno drives. He used to drive an old Ford Tempo but now drives a Saab. Apparently he feels the Saab is a little showy but his family convinced him to get it. No word on whether it's blue and white. My Lions took it on the chin this year but at least they went out with a bang. Wacth out next year. If they can get through a tough non-conference schedule they could be back in the BCS.

New Years Day is the best day of the year. College football on multiple channels fro m 11:00 A.M. to midnight.

Now back to trucks.

We've had below freezing temps for the last two weeks and my rear doors are hard to close, like many others posting here.

I haven't had any problems with cold starts but I did stall once at about 30 mph. Truck had been running for about 10 minutes. Temp was in the 20's
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    Thanks for the update on Joe Pa. The dilemma with Rashaad had to effect the team this year.

Does your transmission shift less smooth in cold weather? Thanks!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    YEA THE BEARS BEAT EM

I wish the lions would have won so the rams wouldnt have made the playoffs but im happy for the bears since i am a bears fan

Cold weather shifting is less smooth especially in the morning after the truck has sat in below zero temps

Ryan
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    My wife was glad to see she is not the only state employee getting screwed by their governor...in RI she has to charge natural catastrophie shut downs to personal time or vacation, not sick time! Was watching Weather Channel and Texas, OK and AR all getting wailed on out there.

General:
    Took trip out to Buffalo, NY over weekend with wife and my 2 teenage daughters in a rented S-10 4 dr Blazer. 1250 miles...am I glad I didn't buy one of those things. I think they cost more than my Z71 x-cab with less room. But, if I was going to get covered with 1/8 of road SALT, let it be somebody else's. The thing was a mess when I took it back. Good thing it was after dark so they couldn't see how bad it really looked. Lake effect snow squawls are something I grew up with and have a good deal of experience driving in. Even in "snow-blind" conditions, kicked it into 4wd Hi and motored right along. The blazer was a 2001 and they have an AutoTrak transfer case, so it was sorta like driving my truck. Anyway, passed everything on the road by using some good 4 wheeling sense, even the PA state trooper in his Crown Vic who was fishtailing trying to get up to speed.

Hope everyone had a good and safe Christmas and best wishes for a terrific New Year.

Matthew
  • doverarjimdoverarjim Member Posts: 23
    I live in the western half of AR and this morning it was pretty bad we had about 3/8" of ice on everything. The roads were in sad shap like normal, by this afternoon it had changed to rain and the roads were melting and slushie, and all the fools got out onto the roads, and now that it is dark they are trying to get home on the slick roads and are they in trouble. 900 lb bale of hay and C2500 can go where ever I want or need to go.
  • n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    Please post the scoop on yours.
    Made by, Kit #, Plastic or Metal, how much detail, where to buy, Etc.

Thanks - 75v
    Try

http://www.chevymall.com i know they have one but its on backorder

its a 1:18 Diecast model all working parts

My brother got it at walgreens if you have one of those by you try there too.

It has alot of detail all the badges, Z71 sticker, interior is on the money but it has a floor shifter 4x4.

Ryan
    The manufacturer is WELLY

Ryan
    Well after seeing my cousins new F150 xmas i have decided i am going to get the drivers and passengers side windows tinted to match the ext cab windows. It looked real nice on his Black F150 and he only paid $60 to have it done.

There were 6 cars at my grandmas for xmas

1 cavalier 99
    1 S-10 92 (dads)
    1 blazer 00
    1 impala 00
    1 silverado (mine) 00
    and 1 ford

hmmmm are we a chevy family?

Ryan
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and have a happy new year. It took me a while to catch up on all of the posts since I am at home and no longer on the T1 at school. RYAN I like my tires being an outie, as mine is in the picture I emailed you a few months back. I had a nice Christmas, we got a 4 1/2 year old male Golden, actually it is the one that we were supposed to have the pick of the litter of. He is great but it is interesting to re house train him to our house. He will go outside with you no leashe and stay with you and come when you call. He is a darker red tinted golden. Gas milage on my 2000 gets as good in autotrack as it does in 2wd go figure. Still miss the better milage of my 99. I still think the 2002 8.1L 2500 HD sounds awefully good. Dad may for himself get a 2001 1500 or 2500 ld ext cab 4x4 sometime in January or Feb. I hope he does I guess, but I want him to go 3/4, we overload the payload of a half ton several times a year by 1000 to 1600 lbs.

I hope you all have a happy new year and drive safely.

Hunter
  • bsilerbsiler Member Posts: 30
    but I'm going to anyway! I did ask a fellow in the problems topic but no answer. My gas pedal is getting harder and harder to press. Is there a TSB for this. Something about the throttle body.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and have even a better New Year!

Billy
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yes, there is a tsb for this.
    Hey do you know anything about the immediate steering shaft replacement? I was reading on cliffs site and they described a problem i am having to the T. I have a rattling feel in my steering wheel and it only is present while braking or driving on a bumpy road.

Ryan
    that's one of the easier one's for the dealer to identify as they have done sssoooooooooo many of them. A better person to ask is Quad cause he had his done twice. A short test drive will show the rattling in the steering. And it only gets worse.
    Yes it has been getting worse. It doesnt bother me to much but after reading on cliffs site and all the tahoe and burb people going through it and since i have to go back later this wk to get my tailgate fixed i might as well get that taken care of.

Ryan
  • jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    We are covered in ice. Spent last night without electricity or water, luckily I had a an old gas heater down in the cellar. Hooked it up and the wife and I slept on the couches in the living room. The dogs loved it. The roads aren't too bad, of course having a 4WD doesn't hurt. I work at a hospital so we don't close but I have alot of employees out. So far I think only one of my four trees will live through this one. The rest of them have either major limbs broken off or the entire tree has fallen.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    sounds like a good old time...

Good luck

- Tim
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    A friend of mine had his front windows tinted when he got his 00 sierra. It looks like it came from the factory. I think he paid arouond $60 too. It looks really slick, maybe I'll have mine done when I get back home.

Nick
  • molly25molly25 Member Posts: 5
    I looked at the Silverado 1500 about 7 months ago and decided to wait until Chevy fixed the 55 mph - 70 mph vibration problem. From earlier posts, it seems like Chevy fixed the vibration problem on trucks made after about 5/00. Is that correct?

I am leaning toward a 2WD, 5.3 liter, but would consider a 4WD if necessary to avoid any vibration problems. Anyone have an opinion on this?
    It vibrated at 60-65. Truck was manufactured 8/00 from Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Looked under the truck and noticed the front end has added support for the rack and pinion. This would lead me to believe that it was more the tires than the truck itself. If you are seriously interested in acquiring one. Take it for an extended drive. Test at different freeway speeds. And find one that doesn't vibrate. For the most part, I think GM has solved the vibration problem. Then again, it's just my opinion....
    I am almost to 10K miles. Im at 9993 tomorrow ill surpass the 10K milestone WOOHOO.

Ryan
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    was fixed by 6/99 or earlier. Mine ('99 LT built in Canada) never had it. It has been a nonissue for a LONG time.

Richard
    I'm pushing 27K.....

what you at Quad?....more than me I know.....but you got a 99

who's got the most on a 99/00 Ado?

- Tim
    Don't you remember....Quad gave up his membership at the exclusive Edmund's Country Club.

I remember he was pissed at someone.....
    Im over 10K now. Just went to menards to buy a bunch of lights for the basement.

Wow truck will be 8 months old on friday and it has 10005 miles on it.

Ryan
    will check it out tomorrow. was in their just before x-mas and didn't notice them however.

Thanks -- Yeh! we also have a Menards

75v
    Menards is awesome but their wood sucks.

Spent almost $200 but it only came out to be like $59. Hehe i used my xmas bonus ($77) and got a nice 10% discount.

Hey 75V menards also has some small diecast trucks. I seen a 3500 dually a big and small one. Also i seen the menards silverado nascar truck that i got for free for like $9.

Ryan
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Put on BF Goodrich 285/16's AT's last month. No rubbing and better off-road performance. On road has not been bad either.
    Ryan, been awhile, how much did you pay for your West in nerfs? Wife has been bugging for step bars.
    thanks,
    dallas
    Dallas im getting those size tires next wk

Did you recalibrate the computer for an accurate speedo reading> If so how dealership or hypertech?

My black westins were $250 installed from the rhino liner place.

Ryan
    Also what color is your truck?

Did you put the white walla facing out or in? Any suggestions on this?

Ryan
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I have ordered a 2500HD 4X4 crewcab. Indigo blue with the black fender flares. I am considering running boards or nerf bars (if I ever get it)and need some opinions on black vs chrome nerf bars. I've also been thinking about a push bar. Same thing, black or chrome?
    trying to find Excab SB - You know -- Same color as yours but no FLAIRS!!! :-)

Well, I know won't get the color or the HD version but at least the ExCab--

Thanks for the Tips--

75v
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Indigo Blue over Pewter, 99 Z-71. Have not recalibrated yet, probally will order a Hypertech next month. Didn't know the dealer would recalibrate for larger tire size than a 265. If you go with the dealer let me know the details. RWL's out, my preference. If you do go with the RWL on the inside, you may want to consider blacking out the letters, kinda looks tacky. Again, my opinion.

dallas
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    tex6 - My transmission does shift a little rougher in the cold weather. Seems to take longer to shift, too.

I've got almost 17k (16,825) since April. One hundred miles round trip to work will do that. Now, though, I live one mile from work.

I bought the DeeZee Black Guardian running boards on my Indigo Blue X-cab long bed 4x2 (no flares). I only have cab length and am still debating getting the bed boards. Leaning against getting them. Nice thing about these boards is you can configure them with either integral mud flaps or end caps. I used the flaps. I like the flaps/ board cobination because I think it really helps protect the lower half of the truck. These boards are black anodized aluminum, so no paint to chip off.
    SJ

Check out http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

For pics of my silverado ext cab indigo blue with black flares and black nerf bars

Dallas email me at RYANB0928@yahoo.com and ill forward what my salesman found out from the calibration guy at his dealership.

Ryan

Ryan
    the biggest selection I've seen is on Ebay. I've bought several. They got 'em in all kinds of colors. They got quite a few 1:1 models also.
    Chome plated stainless or Solid stainless..

Black will be shot in 1 year with salt

- Tim
    8 months and mine (black nerf bars) are fine except the passenger side has scrapes (not into the finish and arent deep just small scratches) from the darn snow. I should be able to polish it out someday when it gets warm.

I would say after 2-3 years they will be shot and ill have to replace.

Ryan
    I went with 4WD to avoid the shake. It was probably fixed when I purchased mine but when pricing I found the 4WD was about $1700 more so I went for it. Living in Oklahoma a 4WD is used maybe 5 days out of the year, but this winter it may be different. We have already had two major snowstorms (by OK standards) and I have used my truck extensively.

I justified the extra $$ by looking at my payment over 60 months, the difference wasn't much. Of course this is a poor way to look at it.

WARRANTY QUESTION
    I didn't pay for the longer warranty at the time of purchase. Am I correct in thinking that under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty I can purchase the additional warranty? Will it be cheaper in a few years?
    Yes you can purchase the warranty down the line. If im not mistaken it wont get cheaper.

Hows the weather down your way? I heard on the radio this morning a bunch and i mean a bunch of people are without power and a second storm is coming

Ryan
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I have drove a total of 35,000 in a 99/2000 Sierra Ext Cab 4x4 SLT: Put 20k on a 99, great truck, traded for the 4 door that I ordered in. 2000 has now 15,000 on it. The transmission went out at 5k and the gas milage is about 2 mpg less than the 99 got. Got the 99 on the First of March 1999, and the 2000 on in Feb of 2000. Drive about 20k a year. Best wishes.

Happy New Year

Hunter
    This is what i found out about tire size calibration

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) needs reprogrammed. But, to get a
    tire
    size, our tech needs to call the service departments technical
    assistance
    center, and get something called a "VCI". This is a code that must be
    entered into the TECH 2 computer thing to get the tire size entered.
    So,
    now you know that.

hope this helps

Ryan
    Do you lease these vehicles or do you just like to have a new one every year?

Ryan, second night with no electricity or water. Temp dropped down to about 20. The streets are clear to drive on but everything else is covered in ice. Temps are supposed to get below freezing for the next few days and a storm that dumped alot of snow on New Mexico is headed our way. Radio said could be up to 7 days without electricity and water is supposed to be on today.

I just hope they get everything fixed in time for the College Bowl Games, have to see OU put it on Florida State for the National Championship.

I figure best bet on warranty will be to wait and see how the first 36,000 miles are and then make the decision to purchase the warranty. Comments?
    How are you on the computer with no electricity?

20 degrees??? Thats a heat wave for us here

Ryan
    ..but you haven't driven thru a complete winter yet....you have only had what...4 weeks of winter total?

Rust is a coming

- Tim
  • molly25molly25 Member Posts: 5
    for the input. I think I'll get the 4WD and hopefully avoid any vibration problems. Like you said, it comes in handy, doesn't cost must over a 4 year loan, and is recovered on resale.
    I have a solar powered computer...just kidding.

I work at a hospital so we have generators and our own water tower for days like this. A UPS unit helps with the power flashes. I expected more northeners to poke fun at our weather since this is a typical day for you guys.
  • bcmlnknebcmlnkne Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to disable the automatic headlamp feature (not the daytime running lamps) on a permenent basis? Not just the temporary four pushes on the dome override. Rather not have the headlamps come on automatically when I start up the truck at 4:30 am and shine into my neighbors window because...........he is bigger than I am.

Bill
This discussion has been closed.