Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    Thanks man! I really like the stock PYO rims, but want bigger tires. The 255 85's seem to be the ticket, but want to see what they look like. I'm sure I will like it as everybody else that has 'em does, but want to make sure....

By the way I setup a picturetrail account and it was easy, the only problem is that you can't link pics, but I don't do that anyway so it was no big deal to just include the link. Also I finally got the pics from my neighbors camera of the CPS nerf bars, tint and liner on my site.

http://www.picturetrail.com/4x4man

Bob

• hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I like my 255, here is a link to the pics of my 2002 Duramax Ext Cab 4x4, with westin CPS boards, and the Kelly 255x85R16 AWR tires.

I think you will find that our trucks look alot alike. ;)

http://www.picturetrail.com/hunter98

Yup, our trucks do look a lot alike! Do you have any problems with your 255's rubbing the mudflaps??
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Mine have a lot of room between the Husky mud-flaps, it is tighter to the front air dam.
    -Eric
    You da man! Thanks, I figured it would be ok being as that they are not as wide as the 285's, but needed to reassure myself...

Thanks again guys.

Bob
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    i may have some 255's in the near future (6 months)

I might be getting a set of the base chevy rims (less than 1K miles on em) for next to nothing. Gonna throw my bfg's on their for the winter (save the alum from salt) and get some 255 mud terrains for spring summer
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    No need to see mine - its Ryan's stock truck with some deer hair added to the bumper.
    Comprehensive deductible only $50, so it will get fixed. Just switched over to Mobil 1 today at 6000 miles on odometer (first change was a dealer freebie with dino sauce).

Fishing is so good, I'm about to venture back through the deer herds to get to the boat ramp. I need some James Bond type accessories under the hood to blast my way through 'em.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    I am getting a little excited here; 7-12" of the white stuff predicted for tomorrow night, if I don't get enough I get to try the new sneakers in the snow. But then again, if we 12" I will be road riding the lead-sled.

Yee-f'ing-haw!!!

-Eric

PS That includes you Ray, on the white stuff!

Here is a picture of the scratch and dent my truck got 2 wks after i bought it (june 00)

Doesnt look bad in the picture you cant see how deep the dent was or the damage done to the fender flare. Cost of fix was $850

Ryan
  • kanton1kanton1 Member Posts: 41
    Have 67 miles on her now. I can't wait till she's broken in. then I can really see what she can do!

I do have a quick question, I have what seems to be the same intermediate steering shaft clunkyness that my 1/2 ton had. has anybody experienced this? the slight rattle noise sounds similar, it kind of also sounds like the drivers shock may be loose. Any one with similar experience?

if I recall correctly, the three other HD's i test drove did the same thing!?

thanks, kyle
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Kyle, I thought that this was taken care of with the introduction of the 2k model year...but my truck (1500/Z71/xCab/21k miles) seems to have some noise, same as you describe, when the temp drops below 40. I thought I was being too overly sensitive about it and therefore didn't say anything here about it. BUT since you brought it up, I have it and am going to get it checked out, as I have to get back to my dealer for the last free oil change that I paid for ;-|.

matthew
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I had the shaft replaced on my 99; then I realized how it should be. That made me realize my 2000 2500 wasn't much better than the 99 was. So I took my 2500 in and had the shaft replaced on it. Hopefully, all the 2001's have the new shaft from the factory, but the 2000's still had the old one.

Mike L
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Does the clunk sound like a bad universal joint?

Oil filters, I've mostly used Fram but wanted to consider AC Delco. I looked at both filters and saw a few differences mainly in length. The Fram filter was shorter but it looked it had bit more filter on the inside.

FYI, 2600 miles and NO problems. I hope it goes as well as the 1999 with 53,000.

Dano
    fram AHHHH!!!!
  • arttartt Member Posts: 14
    I went to Kragen and bought a Pennzoil PZ-9A filter, which is what their book said. After I got home I went to the www.pennzoil.com web site and it said PZ-29 for my truck. I looked in other vehicles that had 4.3v6 and some had both! They both are the same size and have "anti-drain" but the PZ-29 longer.
    blue mirrors, ahhhhh!
    Really, what do you know that makes you think bad of Fram? Used Fram for 10+ years on a street/race motor and it was as clean as the day it was built. Guess the thief that stole it thought it was pretty good too!
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    The clunk is more felt than heard. Mostly when turning at low to moderate speeds. Then, small road bumps are felt as clunks in the steering wheel.

I understand the intermediate steering shaft has some play at one of the joints, and at certain positions it can move a little and be felt. Not supposed to be a safety issue, just an annoyance.

See the TSB at:

http://www.geocities.com/crackeregg/00-02-35-003.html

Mike L
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    is the way to go and besides they only run $1.99 to $2.49 at AutoZone cheaper then Fram and you won't hear any crap from the dealers if you ever have an engine related problem.

Mike, I also had steering shaft replaced on my Y2K 2500 @23,000 it was a noticable clunk that you felt through the steering wheel whenever I hit a bump or through a turn at speed.

4" of the white stuff is all we got after they predicted 4-8. We went from a high of 72 degrees Friday to 23 on Sunday and lots of wet snow.

Ryan, was that the scratch from the "Lawnmower
    Man" ?? Ouch!

Ray T.
    has anybody had this on 2001 or 2002 HD's. if so what has been done to fix?

thanks
    kyle
    A few years ago I had an alliance with FRAM and their engineering department (then Bendix got split off in corporate shuffling), but what I learned was that bigger is not always better!

The efficiency of the media inside the unit is more important. To this end there are 3 types, cellulose (wood/paper fiber treated with resin); full synthetic media (under microscope looks like fiberglass strands with inverted barb hooks); and Hybrid-synthetic impregnated cellulose.

The tighter weave of the media will cause the filter to trap more damaging particles, but as in the case of cellulose media, will cause more restriction to flow. The Hybrid and full synthetic glass media filters use the irregular pattern of the way the fibers are laid out and the shape of the fiber itself (ie. the barbed shaft), to stop harmful dirt particles WITHOUT restricting oil flow due to the more openess of the media weave.

Not wanting to rehash this subject (it was run into the ground a year and a half or so ago), or any arguments, I have been using the DuraGuard Gold UPF59 as it is a full synthetic media that provides maximum single pass efficiency and flow rates that cellulose media filters ($1.99) can not. Yes they are more expensive, but many years ago I learned that with some stuff it pays to be a little more picky. The addage "If you have a $10.00 head, then buy a $10.00 helmet" is kind of what I go back to. If ya got an old beater that is worth $1000 bucks then put anything on it that will plug the hole where the filter goes if you want; but if you layed out $30 large for your ride, then you might want to use a filter that gives better protection, yeah and it will cost more money too.

FRAM also has a ToughGuard line that is full synthetic that I use on my other Chevrolet vehicles, but like some, I really don't want any hassels at the service department should anything negative arise in the engine department of my 2k 'rado. The dealer nor manufacturer can NOT stipulate that you use a certain brand of filter due to warranty considerations, unless they are prepared to give it to you for free. (Moss/Magnunson Act) If anyone is told that they have to use a specific brand of parts to maintain their warranty, then ask for the specifics IN WRITING! If someone puts it in writing then they don't know the law or they are just plain stupid, and you have them over the preverbial barrel.

Just my .02 worth

matthew
    got it down in indy. No clue what it was from

SOme jerkoff did it
    Blackmax, Thanks for the post on filters. I had found some info on the web that supports your post regarding the 3 types of media. I will agree that a little more now will save later. I have always wondered about the life of a filter. If you fill it up with trash in the first 500 miles how much will be allowed to pass through?

Scratches, it is going to happen sometime. Someone will always find my truck and wham, door ding. Why don't people respect others property?

Dano
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    keeping the oil clean was the most important. Back in the 70's it was more normal to change the oil and filter one time and 3k later change the filter and add a quart. The vehicles I owned back then (oh no that was the 60's) the oil went through so fast it didn't have time to get dirty!
  • punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    I hope this doesn't stray off topic, but I recall a post from someone who claims to be able to change the filter in the Silverado without draining the oil. I've never even been able to change a filter after draining the oil without making a mess! (except on my ol' T-Bird which had a side mount filter).

So, how does a fella (especially those with synthetics) change the filter and not the oil, without dumping a quart on the floor?

(I did once see a guy do it on a BMW, but it had an inverted oil filter accessible from the engine compartment)
    taking the filter off the rado does not require you to drain the pan or any other vehicle I know of, the filter only holds maybe 1/2 quart of oil or so the rest is in the pan and passages of engine. You will get some oil on you when spinning off old filter unless you try what another poster said here was to poke hole in bottom of filter with ice pick, let oil drain from filter then remove with less mess.
    2 cents worth....

Ray T.
    So is anyone only changing the filter and not the oil at the same time? Why?
  • ruddsterruddster Member Posts: 19
    The only condition I am aware of is with the Allison transmission on the 2500HD's. The Allison Operator's Manual recommends an initial filter only change at 5,000 miles, for all applications. I am not aware of any requirements/recommendations for filter only changes for engine oil.

Jeff
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Is like taking a shower - but then drying off with a dirty towel - why even bother.
    When I brought that up I stated that back in the 60's that was the norm. Before the Jiffy Lubes. But I suspect that outside of extreme conditions you wouldn't have a bit of trouble if today if you changed your filter every time and the oil only every other time. Assuming of course you're using good filters.
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    Just thought of 1 motor not that long ago the filter was in the pan, the Iron-4 cyc. in alot of pontiacs. My brother had one I always told him to take it someware else to have the oil changed. It realy wasn't that bad.
    This is somewhat dependant on the media and engineering used. The absolute answer is somewhere between 30 to 90 grams of 10-20 micron and greater sized particles, for a typical passenger car light truck filter.

Most cellulose filters are what is referred to as "surface" filtration. This means that the contaminant is trapped only on the surface towards the pump, or on the inlet (small holes just inside the base gasket) side of the filter. This creates a buildup on the surface that can be seen if one cuts the filter open after taking it off. It is OK to have buildup, but too much causes restriction to flow and/or filtration.

Hybrid and synthetic media filters use a combination of "surface" and "depth" filtration. This means that in addition to the contaminant being trapped on the surface of the media, it is also trapped through the thickness of the media. This depth filtration is due to the uneven fiber and layout matrix. As a result a filter like this could be smaller than the old standard 3 5/8 diameter style, but hold more dirt and have a better flow rate, with less overall square inches of media!

With today's cleaner gasoline/oils and better engine sealing, it is less likely that airborn dirt will get into the engine and cause damage... so automotive engine designers surmise that a large filter is not required, hence the "teacup" size filters that we see today.

In reality the most important filter is the AIR filter as it provides the inlet air that makes the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system work. The PCV system uses the engine vacuum signal to move a "shuttle" valve against a calibrated spring to offset the shuttle weight. When working properly, it pulls filtered outside air through the crankcase (oil pan area). At idle it is closed with only a metered (calibrated vacuum leak) draw. At WOT, it is closed, (low or no vacuum signal), and therefore does most of the work at cruise when the vacuum signal is high and overcomes the spring tension. If the PCV system were not open to the filtered air inlet stream, it would create a negative pressure in the crankcase and pull the oil out of the engine!
    But air filters are a whole other subject for a different post...

Again don't want to over cook this subject, just provide some background info as I know it to be, so as to make good decisions.

Sorry for long post, just my .02 worth

matthew
    Knowledge is a wonderful thing to share!

Ray T.
    I was interested in the cab entrance protectors you put it. can you give me some details or a website I can check out? better yet, do you have pictures with them on?

thanks,
    kyle
    Yes i do have some crude pics. They are autovent shade. Attach with 3m tape. EASY install took about 10 min (8 was peeling off the tape backing and 1 was chasing the dogg getting leaves outta his mouth)

Paid $18 for a set. Just bought my mom a set for her blazer for xmas cause she liked mine and her dress shoes really nick up the sides on her blazer

Pics to coming in a minute

Sorry bout the quality. Ill have the new camera in 12 days (xmas eve). For now please bear with me

Also for reference almost all my pics are now at

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=38583

I also installed them and they look great. As Ryan said they are easy to install. Be sure to line them up before removing the tape. I do think they should extend lower to protect a little more of the door sill.
    Ryan, what are you going to do with your old camera?
    Dano
    old camera probably donate it to my little bro since he uses it more than i do
    about yours, but the ones I've used slip under the rubber weatherstrip and come out and over the edge of the sill 1/4" or so. When I worked at a small used truck lot we put them on every truck on the lot to cover up the scratches. I think mine were Ventshade too. Haven't put any on x-cabs yet, but Wife has been good about not dragging her feet.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I have yet to have a nick in the sills.....uhhh..lift yer feet!?

LOL

ok...I have one nick in the back where the first 1/2 BBL slid....(seriously!)

- Tim
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    www.ventshade.com
    Just wanted to comment on holiday traffic. Left work yesterday 1 hour after "rush hour" and got stuck in traffic. I could explain the layout but it would take too long. Anyway, dead stop for 20 minutes and finally start moving. After two miles it cleared to a little less than normal and I never saw a wreck or even a car on the side of the road. There should BE A LAW that requires drivers to get certified on a regular basis to ensure they know the basic drivers rules! Sometimes I just wanna take the truck down the median.
    Sorry for venting but it is better than road rage!

Dano
  • ness5575ness5575 Member Posts: 29
    i am right with you on the traffic - i do not know how some people got their drivers license. could have been worse though, we had our freeway shut down here yesterday in both directions because one of our "news helicopters" crashed on the freeway right at the end of rush hour...
    Joe Dirt.....

DANG! Helicopter crashed? What city?

Dano
  • ness5575ness5575 Member Posts: 29
    the crash happened a little southwest of milwaukee. just saw the news and the pilot ended up dieing...
  • hihosilver2hihosilver2 Member Posts: 9
    You guys should come down to Washington D.C. to see real traffic jams.... we do it sporadically, for absolutely no reason, just to keep in shape for the next real one! Now a helicopter crash.... that would tie up the beltway for at least 4 hours!
    go to chicago

This past summer a guy driving a coca cola truck (small box) Stopped on the dan ryan (highway) i believe it was. Just stopped in the center lane. Cops were called and guy said he had a gun. 5 hrs later guy got out and police subdued him. No gun he was mad cause his gf broke up with him

They were turning traffic around and sending them back the opposite way
    it always a Woman at fault!
    Oh brother, be prepared for the backlash on that one now !!
    The new topic will be womans rights !

Ray T.
    It is nice to have a Silverado to sit in while stuck in traffic. The mp3 player comes in handy too.
    While telling traffic stories, and I am sure there are many, got stuck because someone went off the road into the median. The subsequent rubber neckers slowed traffic so bad the delay was backed up for 8 miles. The car was simply off the road with their hazards on, that is it. Big wrecks I can understand the jams, but when the roadway is completely open, that I do not.

Dano
  • erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    Here's one for ya - Well AFTER "rush hour", I'm headed westbound on Washington State 520 between I-405 and Lake Washington, and the speed is stop-and-go up to a blazing 15MPH. This is not unusual, if there's an accident.

After about a mile of this, I see the traffic breaking loose ahead, so we must be near the scene. As we come to the obvious crunch point, I look to my right and see - a state trooper in his car on the right shoulder, reading a newspaper and munching on a sandwich, and nothing else!
This discussion has been closed.