Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    nahhh....Ryan's Liver would never be able to handle it!....LOL

what happened to the good old Depot babs?.....you can do it!!

as for stereo's......I was thinking about keeping this truck for a while longer...or maybe not......depends....and these speakers gotta go......maybe new speakers and a sub?..hooked to the factory unit.....I start replacing that and I will go all out.......no no no....my ears are already shot from all that damn 70/80's rock and roll concerts and tower speakers........

Go find me a system Mikeee..LOL

- Tim
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    now that he saw how much fun we had last time. besides, why just come back for 1 stereo install, when i can do 2 and make twice the dough. since i'm the one flying, i feel i'm taking all the risks here.......LOL
    ...did I mention the beer charge went wayyyyy up ?

LOL

J/K

- Tim
    did i mention that i make my own?

lol
    good luck on this one now!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    depot didnt want me
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    The accelerator pedal mechanism operates unevenly and rough. Especially at low speed or starting out from stop. At my job there are three of us with late model GM pickups and all have this problem. I tried lubricating it about a week ago with some improvement , but its starting to stick again. Does anyone on this board have any knowledge about this problem?
    there is a TSB (obyone i am sure you will post this)

It states for a sticky pedal the throttle body needs to be replaced
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    Ryanbab
    Thanks for the reply. I have heard of that fix before. My truck only has 14000 miles on it. Its still under warranty so I guess I'll just have to take it in. Have they improved the design of the throttle body or just a replacement of the same thing?
  • playdoughplaydough Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone figured out what that small light(?) next to the volume knob on the auto-tone stereos does? Is it just a plug to fill a hole in the radio face plate? The owner's manual doesn't mention it, and the one in my truck's never done anything.

Quadrunner - what happened to the factory CD player? So far I've been impressed with the factory stereo.

Thanks!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The small light I believe blinks when you program the security feature. My CD player on my '99 Z71 stopped working. It would display a message 'err' when I tried inserting a disc. I tried a cleaning disc, but no good. Last year, I traded the truck on a 2001 HD Duramax before getting the CD player fixed, so I don't know what the CD problem was. But I think there may be a bulletin about it. It always sounded decent to me, but Seelig and Obyone would disagree, since they dropped thousands and thousands $$$$ on upgrade sounds!
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    11 ft lbs.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    New solution to throttle body fix is clean, lube and put back. First fix said not to do that. At this point who really knows.
    Obyone and I dropped thousands and thousands $$$$ into our sound systems, cause we thought it was a cheaper solution to replacing the whole truck.........

LOL

BTW- yeah the little light next to the volume knob starts flashing when you program it for security.........wouldn't want anyone gettin away with such an expensive HU.
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Congratulations on the new job!

Glad you found work. I was worried that you might have to start plowing snow and you would have to get a real truck...you know, one like Tim's, or a HD. LOL
    Tom
    Tim has an LD why would i go a step down?

hehe

havent technically got the job gotta wait for the drug test results (im not worried)
    somebody has to teach you the numbers Babs...ok....last time...

8600GVW Minus 6800GVW equals TundraGVW...

- Tim
    all i know is 8600 = LD

haha just making sure you are still around
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I posted comments about this problem awhile back.
    Talking to several Service Advisors in my area, this is the story that I have gotten. First, how many miles on the vehicle? From 20K to 35K, one needs to pay for a cleaning service ($80 to $120) to remove carbon (Carbon in the carburator, {throttle body}?). Then when that doesn't fix it, if vehicle still under warrantly, they check the Julian date (have to remove the thottle body to see date). If before a certain date they will replace it, but charge for the cleaning service since you probably needed it anyway. This is the way the dealership makes their money.

Yesterday, I cleaned my throttle shaft with WD-40 as I rotated the shaft by hand (one can feel the sticky position). It did not make any difference. One SA told me that it appears that the use of GUMOUT helps to avoid the problem. This problem started at about 17K miles.

'00 Silverado K1500 LT, 5.3 liter, with 20K miles
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Thanks for the info. A buddy who I gave my old '99 shop manuals to, called me last night with the same info.

Installed the new NGK TR55IX spark plugs. No pinging on 87 octane. Will tow this weekend and report.

Will try to fit the report in around all the posts about beer drinking, new jobs, Ryan's personal life, you know .... all that stuff about Silverados that lead me to depart this board 6 months ago........
    >Obyone and I dropped thousands and thousands $$$$ into our sound systems, cause we thought it was a cheaper solution to replacing the whole truck.........<

Touche' !!!!!!!!! LOL!!!
  • imaginosimaginos Member Posts: 27
    Here here.

I posted about the front end leveling kit I installed on my 2001 1500, the pros and cons I found; and not one response. It got lost in the middle of all those posts. It seems that there used to be several people asking about front end leveling for the 1500, but no one seemed to know anything about it. I finally found one, installed it, evaluated it, and reported on it, to no avail. I got like 10 responses to the posts I did about the stereo install I did on the truck (which was great to get people's feedback). But I'd think a suspension upgrade (or possible downgrade in this case) would elicit more interest. How do you ever know?

However, since I do a lot of towing, I'd like to hear your report regarding those plugs. It seems that many newer vehicles have problems with detonation because they are constantly advancing the timing until they sense detonation. I think they are using the detonation as the feedback to the comptuer to stop advancing the timing. This is how my 1997 Cherokee is. No matter how much octane I use, it still detonates. I hate the sound. AHHHH.
    please don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya on your way out.........LOL
    seriously, is there a problem with guys talking to each other like buds in here. sure it is for pickup talk, but i don't know of anyone that just talks about trucks only, unless they don't have much of a life.
    there was a time when you had promised to sell me the shop manuals that you obviously gave away. if you had sold them to me as promised, i would have been the first one to answer your question....{:o)
    Sorry, forgot I was gonna sell you the manuals.

As far as small talk, thats what personal email is for, IMHO.

Yawl have fun, I'll report back with tow info and the TR55IX spark plugs.
    hey mark, were you experiencing pinging?
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Yes your guess is entirely correct. The PCM advances until it "sees" detonation then it knows the system is working. GM and Chrysler, I know, had TSB's on this condition back in about '94 or '95. This was to answer people who would put higher octane than the minimum required in their vehicles, only to have them run bad and loose gas milage.

About a year and a half ago there was a rather lengthy discussion of combustion theory, AND I do not wish to begin it again. The upshot though, is that spark knock is a product of engine load, ignition timing and altitude among others. So the ping may be "normal"

UGH!! I hate when I hear that...

Hope this helps

matthew
    Even light ping causes better heat transfer from the burning mixture to the pistons and head. So my preference is to be in a no ping situation.

My '99 4.8 would ping continuously on 87 octane when pulling a heavy load for prolonged periods around 3400 rpm. My '01 6.0 does the same to a lesser degree. On premium, I don't hear that.

Buddy and I bought a code reader that works in conjunction with my palm pilot to plot spark advance on my 6.0 and his V10. We do see spark retard occuring on 87 octane even here at 7,000' elevation at near WFO trailer towing conditions when in 5th gear in my 6.0L. My preference is to keep as much spark lead as possible, particularly when towing, so I have been running 92 octane. Hopeing the new spark plugs will be a little less ping sensative, guessing they are 1/2 heat range cooler and project 60thou less into the combustion chamber. These are the same plugs the camaro and corvette guys are running in their LS1 engines.
    jeez

2 words

Chill out
    Just wondering anyone find the following at decent prices?

Fuel Filter (AC Part #: GF626)
    I found online for $15.99

Air Filter (AC Part #: A1519C)
    I found online for $24.99

Thanks
    i still have the Delco HU with your name on it........hehe
    have you ever taken the truck in about this pinging issue?
    the reason i ask is because my '01 has a slight ping.
    my '00 however has never pinged.
    the '01 seems to be a little more responsive too, possibly from the timing being more advanced.
    You never heard the ping in the '00 cause the stereo is in the '00 and not the '01. hehe
    do i sense a solution here?..{:o)
    maybe if I turned it down a little?
    May need that head unit! Wife's boss has 97 or 98 (I forget) Yukon. Said the CD player quit working on it...I'll ask. Looks like same unit as I remember.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    My '00 2500 pings when pulling up long hills - nowhere near full throttle. Using premium fuel eliminates the ping. It must ping at other times, and I can't hear it, because the 92 octane also gives 1 to 1 1/2 mpg better mileage.

Mike L
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Want to fly all the way to NY? Started playing with mine, but can't continue because it has been too cold (IMO) to lay the dynamat. And since I am too lazy to do the install then rip out everything again to dynamat, it is sitting in the driveway in pieces. Oh well.

Hey Ryan, you want a set of 4X6 for your rear? You can have the JBL plates I have...
    -Eric
    i think it would be better if we all just meet at Tim's place.......he's got everything we need, you know, bar, food, and what the heck, we'll end up having some kinda bash eh?

good luck on this one now Tim!!!!
    Of course, Ryan will need to get some time off to help us 'older folk'. So when is the shin-dig?
    what speakers are they?

Mark

if you dont like the food then get out of the kitchen

Ryan
    They are an older set of the JBL GT series, but they are plates, with 3 1/2" mid & tweeter. Found them the other night, and remembered you said you fried one of yours... Free to good home!
    ...every day for me....so when ya come...that's the day I guess!

- Tim

...and let's not get harsh and lower ourselves to the Toy crowd level....I mean we are all friends here....right?
    we don't want to start the ol "Lurd" days all over again.
    i think Markbuck meant it in a different way......LOL
    "If you don't like it, don't read it." Course it may be harder to do that than one realizes.

Back to topic.....

On one of the "other" boards, I saw an install of the amps on the bottom of the rear seats. To keep one's posterior kewl, they had run the rear a/c ducts to kewl the amps. I thought that was genuine ingenuity at work. Course I think installing a rear a/c unit similar to the SUV's to be even better.
    we are going to upgrade my stereo this summer...so come up with something that utilizes the factory H.U...........as I am NOT going to replace it...

sorry pal

- Tim
    also when your up there be sure to change tims cabin filter alright? Charge him an arm and a leg too since his health depends on it :)

Oh yea eric i didnt blow any speakers
    they still sound crappy. Course would sound a little worse if they were blown and it wouldn't take much seeing that they are made of paper
    i agree they are crappy
    the amps is a great way to help keep the heat down, but what about during the winter?
    eh Tim?
    you sure have a lot of faith in Delco........{:o)
    that HU can be hooked up via RCA's, but i assure you that when you amplify that POS, you'll find yourself looking at aftermarket HU's in a hurry.
    the thing is way to bassy up to a certain volume, then at an even higher volume level the bass suddenly retards to a lower output. don't waste your time sticking with that POS, and start looking into what you are going to end up with anyways.
    speaking of in-cab air filters, has anything become available to us on the after market list?
This discussion has been closed.