Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    You all who don't like them, must not have been around enough to know the "old" trucks automatically came with them. I vote for them...we ordered our 2000 in with them and have a visor that fits around them...doesn't look too bad. Especially with the lid, tube steps, stainless rockers, stainless brush guard (w/ lights, of course), etc., all on indigo. The only problem with pushing lemon law on this is that it's decked out (still, lemon law's a comin'). Besides, 2001s don't come with blue interior and Crew cab Fords stink - yes we test drove one.

Looks great, runs like sh$#...Chevy's new motto???
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    My .02 on roof lights. I never liked them until I had them on my last truck ('94 rado). When I got the new truck ('00 rado) it didn't have them and the dealer wanted $340.00 to install them. I didn't want them that bad! But I think the roof of the truck looks too bare with nothing there. I hate the visors (no offense to those who like them). I've actually been thinking of getting a tubular roof rack like the ones that are supposed to be available for the Avalanche. I think that looks good, I like the ones on the Frontier crew cab.
  • acarlson1acarlson1 Member Posts: 1
    On Oct 7, 2000 I purchased a new 2001 Silver ado CT ex. cab, 2 ad truck. upon driving the truck home I experienced vibration & steering wheel oscillation above 50 MPH. Also something called "bump steer". When hitting an expansion joint in the road the front wheels try to change direction. Upon getting the truck home in the garage (level surface) I noticed that the truck had a tilt to the driver's side. Upon measuring I I found the truck to be 15/16" lower on the left side. After numerous trips to two dealers, four tire balances, two new rear springs, one new front spring, front end alignment, etc. the truck is still low on the driver's side, shakes, & "bump steers". Did I get a "Monday" truck? Anybody else?
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I assume your truck is a 2 wheel drive? I had a '00 2wd x-cab with the problems you describe, and went throught the BBB to get a replacement truck. GM has a service bulletin out to try and solve this problem which involves replacing the rack & pinion assembly and lower control arms. Check to see what the date is on the tag on the driver's side frame rail, below the cab behind the front wheel. From trucks that I test drove, trucks with a date of June 2000 or earlier still had problems ('01 year trucks) This is a place to begin.
  • jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    Good Friday to everyone. Thanks to those who answered my questions the other day, seems like to me most owners have seen problems but seem happy. Interesting.

I need some help. I am to the point of trading the truck (or wife's car) for an SUV or getting a camper shell for my truck (is that what they still call them?).

Do I completely get the old man status if I get one?

How much are coin am going to drop? What brand should I go with?

Anybody have pictures of their trucks with shells?

Thanks in advance.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Couldnt recalibrate the speedo so i gave in and bought a hypertech which only cost $279

I am getting a spare i need to find a rim first my mom is gonna try and get one from work (works for a company that supplys parts to insurance companys) so thatll be soon probably next month already spent $1000 on the tires ($700 tires and $300 hypertech).

I am putting pics up now so check out

http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

Ryan
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I have an ARE MX cap on my X-cab LB and have generally been pleased with it. It is color matched to the truck and the color is good, finish quality is similar to the truck ie. slight orange peel. One thing I noticed is the Silverado's bed is not exactly square, I think wider at the rear than near the cab. Anyway the cap is the same width from front to back so the fit is not perfect, the cap rail overhangs the bed rail on the inside by about 1/2 inch. It's not really noticeable from the outside. I think it looks pretty good.

The pics suck sorry it was very sunny for my low tech camera.

The truck runs great after reprgramming with the hypertech the brakes are back to normal and the speedo is reading correctly. Now i can play with shifting

Ryan

Measurements

32.9" tall
    Rear end
    fender flare to the tire: 2.5"
    Mudflap to the tire: 2"

Front end
    front fascia to the tire: 2"
    mudflap to the tire 2.5"

From ground to the bottom of the fender flare
    Front: 37.25"
    Rear: 39.00"

Plenty of room to work with

Ryan
  • randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    I bought a truck cap so I have the security of being able to put big stuff in the back and able to lock it. I have the ARE Z-series truck cap. It has pretty smooth aerodynamic lines and my cap dealer said that for 2000, it was truck cap of the year. It has a 'frameless' glass rear window with some real sturdy hinges. I looked at Lear which has something similar, but the ARE seemed a little better built for the style I was looking for. If you like Suburbans, the ARE Z-series does give the truck a Suburban look. My friend had a Continental cap on his 91' Chevy pickup, but looking back, he wished he would have investigated more. My company puts on aluminum caps for work and we get the ARE work utility caps of which they hold up real well. The company used to get Continental work caps and they literally split at the front corners. So needless to say, for a truck cap, whether fiberglass for aluminum, I recommend ARE.

For a nice fiberglass truck cap even with the roof line, deeptint windows, etc, I would estimate depending on what brand you decide to budget for $1100-$1300 for a cap. Aluminum, depending on regular or contractor grade can be from $500-$1000. This assumes minimal extras.

Don't worry about the old man status. It's a frame of mind depending who you talk to.
  • quadcab4x4quadcab4x4 Member Posts: 44
    Web sites guest book.
    I might have a few pictures of "tires". On another 2k "Badass 4x4" as you put it....LOL

Allen-
    hey ALLEN start up a picturetrail site its easy

I wanna see yours

Ryan
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    so what exactly is a Hypertech anyway. And, more importantly, how can I convince my wife that I HAVE to have one?
  • k0hbk0hb Member Posts: 89
    A $350 computerized gizmo to reprogram your vehicles ECM for those who are smarter than the engineers who designed it.

In other words, a waste of your money.
  • quadcab4x4quadcab4x4 Member Posts: 44
    Ryan,
    I just e-mailed you a few pictures. For now I think thats it's just a little easier this way. Let me know if they came through ok...

sf0383: Hypertech is a hand held computer that hooks directly into tour datalink connector , it's right under your left knee(driver side).
    It does a few things.
    I got mine mainly to recal. my spedo, I now have 35" tires so it would be waaaay off if I didn't.
    #2 They claim you can get as much as 15-20 horsepower using the Hypertech 111.
    #3 You can change your top speed limiter.
    #4 Transmission shift points as well as firmness
    #5 The engine rev limiter
    #6 With their 160 degree powerstat thermostat and 93 octane fuel you get what they call "power tuning".
    And you can change it all back to stock when ever you want. It all takes less than 10 minutes.

I can go more into detail if you like just say the word. It's pretty cool. All things considered picking up 15-20 horse on a late model truck is pretty good now days. Especially when only spending less than 20 minutes.
    They run around $300.00.

Allen-
  • morepowermorepower Member Posts: 7
    I know I've seen several posts in the past concerning one side of the bed being lower than the other. On my 2001 2500HD Duramax/Allison ext. cab SB, the left rear is one inch lower than the right. This is constant with any fuel load. The front end is level. I have checked the lemon site recommended by Obyone, but there is nothing on that problem. So far, that is the only problem I have had, but I've still only 2K miles experience with it. Any info you can contribute will be appreciated.
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    Dam that truck is grimmy Ryan. I thought you were washing it like every week. Whats up??? Did you just recalibrate the spedo, or did you recalibrate the engine for performance?

Nick
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Had an up close and personal experience with what a F350 can do to a Ranger tonight on the way home tonight. Lady in the Ranger lost control, crossed the median and was T-Boned by the F350 in the inside lane - probably ~50-55 MPH, next to me. Luckly the impact caused her to spin back toward the median instead of toward me. The guy in the F350 walked away but he'll get a new bumper radiator and AC condenser but the lady got an ambulance ride and the Range gets to see the junk yard - the bed was torn off and the cab was almost off the chasis. She reeked of alcohol and the para meds said she would get a blood test for sure. I wound up off the shoulder in the grass and mud and stuck! Tow truck had to winch me out. Lord was watchin' out for me tonight! All this happened in about 4-5 seconds. I just happened to see her coming toward us and I took the shoulder/ditch. Lucky no damage my truck other than people seeing me get stuck in 2" of mud! (Steeltex tires don't clean themselves in mud at all.)

Say what you will about the big trucks, I'm even more of a believer now. That F350 saved that guy's bacon, even without a seat belt.

Guys, watch those divided highways without a median barrier, even in good weather!

Take care,

John
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    What is that statistic....25,000 people die each year due to alcohol related automobile accidents? Pretty sad.

Glad you are still with us John, and weren't involved in that accident anymore than you were.

Also looks like more accurate information to add to this statistic......Real men drive real trucks, women drive Rangers, Tundras, etc.

-David
    I washed the truck (went through an automatic) monday. Cant even tell. I only programmed for the tires today didnt have time to play around with anything else yet. So far everything is good the shifting is smooth. Only thing is these tires create more road noise but thats no biggie.

Allen the pics came out nice

John glad to hear you and your truck are ok

I had a close one tonight too. I was coming back from a restaurant and a semi threw a large rock (good sized actually i seen it coming in the dark) and it slammed into my windshield. I for sure thought it would break but it didnt.

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...I have stated several times that you are much safer in a heavy bigger truck....

Glad it worked out for you.....sorry for person in Ranger.....course if they were drunk....get what you deserve I guess...

- Tim

Nice tires Ryan....although they really don't look bigger?...(honest)...perhaps it's the lower sitting 1500?.....

still don't prefer white letters....sorry!.. :(
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    Ryan, I think you made the right choice - blackwalls would have made it look like a stripper.

As to ride height, does the 2500LD sit higher? Is the front end on the 2500 more level with the rear than the 1500?
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    Ryan - be careful not to overinflate those tires, regardless of what the max inflation on the sidewall says. I pumped up the set I have on my old 73 in order to carry a extra heavy load - forgot to deflate after hauling - got a tread separation a couple of weeks later - had to replace two of them to get a match and controllable ride - expensive lesson.
    sounds pretty interesting. I would be interested in hearing more about it. Definitely on the "things to check out" list along with, tires, dual exhaust, bed liner, nerf bars or running boards, bed rails,push bar and maybe even one of those video systems. Now I'm wondering if I should be looking at an aftermarket security system? Is the stock one any good?

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    just got to get rid of the tacky 4x4 decal and the plastic 2500 marker.
    LOL

Nah.....trends ain't me

- Tim
    Thanks Tim the nice comment

I thought i wanted blackwall but im happy i got whitewalls.

Tim its not that much bigger but it is noticable by me and i have been asked by a few people already. THe tires are wider and stick out a little more.

TUCSON whats a good PSI the sidewall stats 65psi. WHat are you running

Ryan
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Well Ryan, I came in here to show off my new tires and you beat me to it! I'm surprised you were able to fit 285/75, I couldn't do it.

I have a 2000 2500 4x4 and I learned during this process that the 2500 has a wider front track than the 1500. The wheels go through a larger radius arc when turning and therefore get closer to the wheel well.

We tried your exact tire and no way it would work without a small body lift. I ended up with BFG AT KO 275/70/16. I was thrilled to find this uncommon size, and in a D load rating too (3000lb).

I also put on new wheels because the stock 6.5" width was too narrow. Anyway I like the custom look. I choose Weld Racing forged wheels because they are stronger and have a higher weight rating than cast wheels.

Even with the smaller tire size they still rub a tiny bit in the rear (of the front) and I had to trim some plastic wheel well liner from the left front, between the windshield washer resevour and the tire. Also the stick-on balance weights hit the brake calipers. I get a little vibration on the freeway now, I'm hoping that fixing the weights will solve that. Ryan, do you notice any vibration at about 65 mph?

Here are some pics of my truck. Notice the tight fit.

Nice truck

No vibs at all. I have only had the truck up to about 80mph since i got the new tires and it felt much better than it did with the fstones. Only thing i notice is more road noise. I dont care i have the radio blasting anyways

You have a very tight fit there. I have some room to spare still on mine more than you have on yours i can tell.

Ryan
    great looking truck. If you don't mind me asking, where and how much were those rims? I like those mathing flares also....
    Where ya been?...I was just womdering what happened to you...and wallahh!

I may do 285's - 305's on next HD.....but who knows?.....the 245's are not as bad as I thought....but a 2" higher lift may be too small....we will see

I like the look of my old Reg cab....and new Reg cabs better....but an ex. cab has been so much better for me

- Tim
    the blackwalls look pretty good too...just personal preference. But, why does GM only let you get 245's on the 2500's? I think it would look better with 265's...if I go this route I will have the dealer swap them out for some 265 Wrangler AT/S. And yes, have them remove any stickers...
    Nice looking wheels. Iam thinking of maybe going with some 265s. Are those back-up lights I noticed hanging off the rear bumper?
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Just a thought on a locker. Went back to try and feed the deer some square hay bales last week driving down a field road with ditches about four feet deep on both sides. Got pushed off the road when trying to drive thru a 24" or so snow drift got in the ditch. I put it in reverse and got the truck out of it under its own power. Without a locker, would have had to have gone and gotten the tractor. The two right tires would have spun and the left ones sat there on the oil road. But I have gotten it stuck in the snow with the locker. Got stuck in a snow drift by the barn, I was backing into a place and the truck sank about 4" deeper in the snow, nothin the truck could do, and a different day I was pulling a 30" tandem lowboy trailer around the barn lot and got the rig stuck in about a foot of snow. Never have been stuck in mud and I have seen alot of it.

RYAN congratulations on the tires, good choice on the Whites. :)

Have a great week.

Hunter
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Well Tim, I got burned out spending so much time on-line so I dropped out of this topic for a while. I only participate regularly in the camper topic, it's a lot slower than this one.

oby, I bought the wheels and tires at America's Tire (same as Discount Tire) because not too many places carry Weld wheels (www.weldracing.com). They are a little more expensive at $220 each because they are forged rather than cast. But they will look better longer and have a 3000lb rating. The center lug covers were an extra $95 for the set. They allow you to keep the stock lug nuts and make the wheels easier to clean. The GM center caps still fit too, actually. The tires were $165 which is a few bucks higher than Ryan's larger size because the 275/70 is a weird size. It turned out great though because it's plenty wide and only 0.7" larger diameter so the speedo doesn't need any attention. I clocked it as 1-2 mph off now at 60.

I paid an extra $15 each to have them computer ride matched to the rims. Has anyone heard of this? A machine measures the roundness of the wheels and tires and chooses an exact mounting orientation for each tire. It's well worth it to me if it prevents even small vibrations.

sf0383, those are indeed backup lights below the bumper. I often back into dark campsites with the camper on and can use the extra light. This time I chose some slim ones. I beat the heck out of a low hanger on an old truck by backing into things.

I just got back from exploring the backroads of Death Valley National Park here in California. If anyone is interested in DV or more truck pics, see

http://members.home.net/vofm/dv/death.html
    Great pics.

Was the wheel balancer a Hunter Engineering Balancer? I think it's the only one that can do the kind of balancing you're describing. Price they charged is about right for that type of balancing.
  • randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    Tim, nice looking black 2500. Needs roof lights(just joking). Interesting running boards. Don't remember seeing them before. What brand? I got the Westin stainless bars.
    You have to remember that they need a tire that has an E rating of 3400 Lbs to handle 3/4 ton loads...Wrangler AT's can't handle that. What's the sense of having a 3/4 ton truck with 1/2 ton tires?

It's hard to find E rated tires above 245's I guess

- Tim
    Tim whats the LB rating on your truck tires?

Mine are D rated and are like 3300 lbs i believe

Ryan
    I will have to do some research on the tires then. I know the Ford Superdutys come with 265's (265/75R16E), but they are Firestone Steeltex. Hopefully someone else out there makes E rated 265's.

How does everyone like the 6.0L? I have heard both good and bad; that it isn't any more powerful than the 5.3 and uses much more gas. I will be towing a 6000# 5th wheel. I was going to get a SuperDuty, but the V10 is a joke and gets 10mpg and I don't like the noise and smell of the diesel (nor the cost). Also, having to get my 5.4 replaced in my F150 has left me a little disappointed in Ford. The 6.0L seems to be the perfect size. Any experience and/or opinions would be appreciated.
  • jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    I have decided to get rid of my truck, if I can get a decent trade-in. I might try and sell it out right but I haven't had luck in the past.

Recap: 2000 GMC Ext. Cab, Z71, 5.3L, 3.73, Ext: Light Pewter, Int: Graphite, 1500 miles. I paid $26,500 in Nov.

Do you think I can get $24,500 out of it now?
    JM easily probably put 25K on it first and see

Ryan
    I will have to do some research on the tires then. I know the Ford Superdutys come with 265's (265/75R16E), but they are Firestone Steeltex. Hopefully someone else out there makes E rated 265's.

How does everyone like the 6.0L? I have heard both good and bad; that it isn't any more powerful than the 5.3 and uses much more gas. I will be towing a 6000# 5th wheel. I was going to get a SuperDuty, but the V10 is a joke and gets 10mpg and I don't like the noise and smell of the diesel (nor the cost). Also, having to get my 5.4 replaced in my F150 has left me a little disappointed in Ford. The 6.0L seems to be the perfect size. Any experience and/or opinions would be appreciated.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Just talked to Chev Customer Service. They told me that the pickup will be built during this week - Jan. 8th. Should be here in about 3 weeks. Too bad I will be in DC when it arrives. Oh, well, all the more I can put on my GM Card. Any news on a build date for yours?
    Cowboyjohn

Hunter- I enjoyed and related to your message in Post 710.
    ...how did your tires go from 3000 to 3300 over the weekend?

hehe

I'm not going out to look.....Steeltex 245's...3400 lbs I believe..(perhaps more?)..10 ply too I believe...

- Tim
    i dont know i know they are 3000 something

ill give you an exact when i get home.

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.