Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• dcellidcelli Member Posts: 1
    MY 6.0 DEVELOPED A KNOCK ABOUT 6 MONTHS AFTER DELIVERY (4/99) AFTER 3 TRIPS TO THE DEALER AND A YEAR LATER THEY HAVE DECIDED TO TEAR INTO THE ENGINE AND DETERMINE THE CAUSE PER GM. TRUCK HAS ABOUT 23000 MILES. DEPENDING OUTCOME ENGINE MAY BE REPLACED. ARE THERE ANY OTHER LIKE PROBLEMS OR IS MINE RARE
  • scootter31scootter31 Member Posts: 31
    Guess I'm the slow one. Pics are also on pictuertrail.com/scootter31. Man, you just couldn't wait to get indigo blue, black flares, and roof lights posted.

Well, at least its not a scrawny 1500. ;/)
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    SCRAWNY?

Itll eat up any 2500 anyday

Rand only thing i would change on your truck would be bigger tires. What size is on there now 245's?

Ryan
    Rand, he just wants you to get raised white lettering too. It would be his dream truck!

Scott

Ryan
    Yep scrawny. lol
    nope would have to be a CC

Damn that thing would be huge

Ryan
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    There are so many responses on here that I almost missed your post, but I did get it.
    Yes, my new pickup is the 2500HD, 8.1 with Allison. Hope you can get your dealer straightened out. I think you ordered yours a couple of weeks before I did (Oct. 10th).
    Trip was good except the clutch on the F250 gave me a problem the night before I left. I thought I was going to have to spend a day pulling the transmission and replace the slave cylinder, but I managed to work around it and left the next morning anyway. F250 ran good the whole trip - up to about 90+ mph once when I was passing someone - I didn't know that gutless thing would go that fast. An uneventful trip - the kind I like. Love that So. Calif. freeway traffic.

George W. hasn't sent me an invitation to the inaugural ball yet, but expecting it any day......
    I will be there during the time, but probably won't even see any of the traffic jams it will probably cause. Hope not anyway. I have enough traffic for a while.

I will post a note if I learn anything more about the arrival of the 2500HD. Will probably get it after I get back from DC.
    Cowboyjohn
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    geeeez....his head is a swelling ain't it boys?

- Tim

....Give the boy a new set of tires and he thinks he is God!
    and that is what the world needs.......... A Ryan God in a scrawney little 1500. With of course, black flares, big tires, and roof lights.

By the way, Ryan. What ever happened with your steering shaft. Get it replaced? On order?....

just
    Scott
    After i put my tires on the noise and rattle went away. Its faint and i might get it checked out this spring if it gets noticably worse.

I dont have roof lights :(

Ryan
  • jrohr1jrohr1 Member Posts: 11
    dcelli, I HAVE A 2000 5.3L 4X4 Z-71 THAT HAS HAD A COLD ENGINE KNOCK DURING THE FIRST 8-10 SEC. AFTER STARTUP. IS YOUR KNOCK DURING STARTUP OR ALL THE TIME ??? THE FIRST DEALERSHIP DENIED THAT THERE WAS A PROB. ( EVEN THOUGH IT HADN'T BEEN DOING IT BEFORE. THE SECOND DEALERSHIP FIRST BLAMED IT ON THE OIL FILTER, THEN DECARBED THE PISTONS. THE NOISE CAME BACK AND NOW THE CHEVY REP. BLAMES IT ON THE TYPE OF GAS I USE, AND TOLD THEM TO DECARB. IT AGAIN ( BECAUSE IT LASTED 5000 MILES LAST TIME ) THATS THREE TRIPS TO THE DEALER WITH NO REAL RESULTS. i CONTACTED THE B.B.B. AND THE NEXT TIME IT HAPPENS I WILL TAKE TO THE B.B.B. AND FIGHT CHEVY. THE LADY FROM THE B.B.B. CALLED ME TODAY AND SAID SHE TALKED TO THE CHEVY REP. AND THAY DENY THERE IS A PROB. WHAT A JOKE THERE ISN'T A PROB. !!!!!! i GUESS I'M DREAMING ABOUT THE STEERING SHAFT, THE KNOCK, THE DOORS WON'T CLOSE IN THE COLD, AND THE REAR END PISSING OIL ON MY NICE DRIVEWAY. WHAT A PIECE OF [non-permissible content removed] !!!
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    When did you get your fronts tinted? I don't remember that the last time I saw your truck. Do they still have trouble with bubbling these days? How long did it take, and how much $?

Babs,
    gotcha with the spare. Thats kind of weard that it isn't the same size as the rest. Roof lights... you'll get out of that fast. I used to think the roof lights looked cool too, but they look odd to me now unless you have dullys.

BCO,
    I was checking your maintainance pics; what lube do you put in the front diff and transfer case?

Nick
    Im not getting roof lights put on mine i just like the looks of em

Ryan
  • salesrepsalesrep Member Posts: 17
    I read #782 list of complaints on his Silver ado. I have 2000 that only exhibits the doors not shutting when cold. Oh if the cranny being a qt low at 8k is a problem then I have 2 major problem, Woos forgot the seat belts that lock up so you can't move.

First visit to Chef resulted in "normal" on the doors. Then 4 more trips with a no fix answer. Call Chef customer line 3 times and got the "never heard of that problem" response. Then the dealer called Chef egg and got a big "Dub!!!"

Now I get a call from the dealer and low and behold Chef has a repair kit for the doors. It has 3 parts. Upper and lower latches and some rubber part. Funny just one month ago when I started on this campaign Chef had no knowledge of any complaints, and now 30 days later a miracle cure. They are sure fast and responsive at Chev. What I am saying is don't ever take no for an answer from Chev or the dealer. I beleive they will stonewall you to save the few bucks unless you become the biggest pain in their [non-permissible content removed] on the problem.

Also there is a fix for wind noise in the 4 doors. They have found out the the cabin pressure is to tight and when the fan is on the rear quarter windows push open a bit and make a wind noise. This is another "we don't have a problem" deal I uncovered.

Good Luck!!!
    damn cabin noise this and that. You should drive my truck with my new tires it would probably drive you guys nuts and you would drive off a bridge. All the more reason to turn the radio up.

(cabin noise is no problem for me doesnt bother me one bit)
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    ...thought you would like the way the BFG's change the dynamics on your Rado. Where did you get your Hypertech? $279 is a good price.
    later,

dallas
    These tires are great. No complaints thusfar. No power loss at all. Getting alot of looks and comments about them too

I got the hypertech at a local place called van senus

Heres their website

http://www.vansenusauto.com/performa.htm

Ryan
    .....I'll check them out. Did you change anything else other than your tire size on your ECM?

dallas
  • mblrdsmblrds Member Posts: 41
    Seems lately the topic has turned to cabin noise. Let me ask you guys and dolls if you all experience what sounds like a lot of wind noise blowing around the outside of the cabin as you cruise down the road. I'm not talking about the rearquarters whistling, I'm talking RROARR!!! Sometimes it is very loud, especially when there is a cross-wind.

Salesrep,
    That the first time I ever heard of a fix for hard to close doors. I always attributed it to the cold; thickening lube, cold-hardened rubber seals.

Ryan,
    The clunky rattle in the steering won't go away. It'll be back with a vengence and getting meaner every day (seems like).

Enjoy,
    M.

'00 GMC Sierra Ext cab SLE Z71 w/ 5.3
  • mottsz71mottsz71 Member Posts: 4
    I have had a 1500 LT Ext Cab, Z-71 on order since 10/12. Chevy has not accepted the order yet. The dealer keeps on telling me that Chevy can't make the truck w/ the Pro-Tec bed yet. Has any else heard this yet? He also told me that the factory will be installing the equipment during their Christmas shutdown. From which they are starting up from today. Hopefully I will get a production date soon!
  • jake2500jake2500 Member Posts: 6
    the old and the new... '91 chevy 1500 and '00 chevy 2500

...trucks! The 91 looks like you took good care of it. Did you paint the flares on the 2500? Looks good with blue on blue.

dallas
  • jake2500jake2500 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I had the dealer paint the flares right when it came in. Originally when I placed the order I wanted the two-tone paint with the lower half in the '98 model color sandstone, but of course two-tone paint was not an option. It turned out alot nicer than expected. They did an exellent job matching the color. As far as the '91 pickup it's only a v-6 and has about 115,000 miles on it when the photo was taken last spring. Right now it's at 124,000 miles and runs great!
    No only reprogrammed tires

Dammit why is everyone getting blue trucks GRRRRRRRRRR hahaha

Ryan
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    I initially had a problem with the display. It would not come on for about 3-4 minutes after engine was started. However, it corrected itself after I "played" with the buttons. I have had no static or reception problem. The owner's manual mentions that AM stations may give reception problems, and to adjust the treble.

Vince also had a display problem, and as I recall dealer replaced radio.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Randall's truck lucks like yours on Steroids :) Looks real good. Jakes truck looks really good too. Hey JAKE how much did it cost to get those flares painted, it really makes your truck look good. What tires and wheels are those also.

PS how many coats of wax you got on that thing?

Hunter
  • smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
    Nice color selection, same as the wife's Tahoe,
    although I'm too rough on one so my truck is white, what I've found to be the most forgiving color when you get in the backwoods
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    My radio display went wacko and started saying things like 3:84 o'clock. Dealer replaced with a refurb and it would forget that a cd was installed. Dealer replaced again (had truck for 2 days) and all is well now.

jake, great pictures! I like the matched flairs too. It seems we all are 100% in the color-matched, or must-be-black camp, but never in between.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I went with a friend recently to buy a shell for his Dakota. The guy sold SnugTop, Glasstite, and ARE. He mostly sold SnugTops, I asked him about the ARE and he said "they are crap" to quote him. They used to be okay but now he gets returns with cracks etc.

My friend ended up with the SnugTop with the inner carpet liner and it's pretty nice. It also has a single center handle, and when it's not in use it pushes in and has a rubber cover. They also have a "feature" where you can lock yourself inside for security while sleeping in there.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    no problem with the tint..cost me 40 bucks for the front two and 30 for the back window since it came clear..took about 30 min, no bubbles..you just have to let it dry properly and not roll the windows down for a few days...

has anyone else had a problem with the flares getting wax on them and not being able to get them off...my black textured flares got wax on them and i have wiped and scrubbed and they still have white spots..that exactly why i wanted the smooth type flares..
  • randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    That Indigo Blue 2500HD with the ARE cap is mine everybody. I had trouble posting pictures and Ryan offered to do the work. Much appreciation.

You asked about my tire size. Only tire size available so far on that truck: LT245-75R16 load range E. I went with the optional on/off road tires which turned out to be the Firestone Steeltex AT. The tire dealers I talked to said that is about the only decent Stone out there. So far in snow and 400lbs of sand bags in the bed, they are not too bad. I will probably go to Goodyear Wrangler ATS next time since they do make a load range E for that line of tire. My past experience with Goodyear has been great. I might look at BFG, too. I agree, I would have prefered 265's like on my old truck, but not worth the hassle to me and it doesn't look that bad. Unfortunately, the only 265 E load range I have found is the Firestone Steeltex AT. They put those on the Excusion, oops, I meant Excursion. And since my truck is a 2500 series, will stay with black walls.

The black flares on my truck don't bother me, but the blue flares looked mighty sharp on the truck pictured above. Hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe down the road, a trip to the paint/body shop.

Indigo blue rules? That color first came out in 93 and Chevy dropped it in 96 or 97, but everybody wanted it back apparently. The partners in my company agreed for some reason that they like Indigo Blue on all our land surveying trucks which are 2500 ext. cab 4wd stripper trucks. Regardless, I have gotten a lot of positive feedback on choice of color and overall looks of my truck from people.
    Funny story on the radio this morning. Rand do you listen to US99 by chance? Well the one guy on there is from hawaii (i met him actually doesnt look hawaiian at all) and they were talking about blazers and rollovers and he made a comment about women drivers or something and the other radio people said you dont need a car in hawaii you could walk everywhere you wanna go. That made me think of you.

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and Bravada rated a one star on rollovers. Meaning that they had a 40% or greater chance of rolling over. Tahoes/Yukons got three stars and the Ford Explorer got two stars.

They also showed a F150 flippin in the air. Man, I didn't want to see what the driver looked like after that one....Maybe I should consider lowering the truck?

Must have been an idiot who said that you don't need a car in Hawaii....cause how else are you going to protect yourself around those flippin F150's...LOL!!
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I'll take a car again next time I go to the Islands....you can go on foot..

Finally a Blue Truck with the right color flares..blue!

LOL

Matching is better on some colors....and others look better black....although I still say Blue with pewter bottom and flares is the tops for Indigo..

rollovers and chicks.....whoduthunkit?

back to lockers....hehehehe...I think if a Woman is getting a 4x4...prehaps it should have one...

hmm....does that mean a 4x4 with a locker is a girls truck??

I gotta go

Good Luck on this one now!

- Tim
    Tim your opening up a whole nother can of worms. Might wanna take it to your site.

I almost rolled my old 87 blazer a few yrs back. After a blizzard in 98 i hit a patch of black ice and went sideways and did a knight rider i only had 2 wheels (same side) on the ground. Scared the heck outta me. Luckily i was able to keep control and get the truck back on the ground.

Ryan
    So far spare wheel isnt working out. Found 1 but they want $100 (GRRRRRR) for a steel rim. I might no wait i am going to use the spare rim under the truck and mount a 285. My question will it fit back under the truck? (i am doubting this i am almost positive its to big). Guess ill have to chain it in the bed then

Also should i get another BFG tire or a cheap 285 for the spare? Any suggestions?

Ryan
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    i would have to say that unless anyone else has your same tires, you're the only one who would be able to tell if it will fit in the current spare tire spot. measure the height and width of one of your 285's and then roll under your truck and see if it'll fit. c'mon, the concrete garage floor can't be THAT cold, can it? it's a cold spell down here right now. i think it got down below 30 last night! brrrr... ;)

bco
    I dont think itll fit unless i leave alot of air outta it. I might take the spare off in the next few days hopefully i can get it off unlike some pople having trouble. I am about 95% positive it wont fit under there. Ive been under there enough after i wash the truck i was the spare tire rim.

Ryan
    below 30 haha

This morning it was 14 degrees

Its warming up though probably hit 25 today

Ryan
    when was the last time you had a flat?

why is it sooooo important to get a 285 as a spare? Do you plan on running the spare for a couple of thousand miles?

If I were you I'd just leave it alone. Remember all those cars with the puny little space saver tires.....well?
    yea but i heard it was a good idea with the locker and a 4x4 truck.

Ryan
    Here say or fact? I understand with the locker. But I don't think it's that critical. It's not like you are going to run the Indy 500 or something. And worse comes to worse, you can always call the free service provided by GM.

Maybe you should run it by a couple of tire guys or the dealer. I run 275/70R16's and a 255/70R16 for a spare. On the Denali, due to the dealers mistake, I had all 5 tires changed.

Or you could throw on the spare (good time to learn how to dismount the spare) and drive it around for awhile. Don't think you're going to see much difference.
    did you check the link I left for you for the rim?
    Yea dean thanks. IVe been to that site before. They want $180 for a ALuminum rim like whats on the truck. Forget that

Ryan
  • jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    If you get a matching rim and tire you can use 5 tires in your rotation making your tread last longer. If you use a mismatched spare you will have to break the tire down each time or you will waste alot of money on a tire. Just my opinon.

I would stick with the spare that came on the truck.
  • gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    I see your point about not wanting the small tire on the back with the locker. Why don't you just keep what you have for a spare and if for some reason you get a flat you would just put the spare on the front and then put the front on the back. It's kinda a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], but why spend the extra money?? I have not got a flat in about 10 years, so if your luck is any good you will probably never have to do it, plus you save the cash. If you go 40000 without a flat, you can just use one of your old tires when you need to get the next set for your truck.
    Yea true i guess i could keep it.

My old S-10 i had 3 flats
    The blazer i had 2

All within a 2 yr span

Ryan
  • salesrep1salesrep1 Member Posts: 4
    I haven't seen the Chev fix for the doors, but the area zone mgr and Chev eng group gave the part numbers that need to be ordered to solve the problem. I talked to a service manager at another dealer today and he is aware of the door problem but had not heard of a fix.

I will have to see what all becomes of this. Maybe it is just so much hot wind to quite me down a bit. I was really yanking the chains of Chev and the dealer.

I am having the rear-quarter windows replaced at the same time to reduce the cabin wind noise.

Good luck

Salesrep
  • n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    Ref.# 752 trw3?? loyalty certificate ?? by n75v111 Jan 09, 2001 (04:40 am)

Planning on meeting with Dealer to see what they propose to get a TPW assigned on Monday -- FOLLOWING INFORMATION WOULD HELP ALOT -- THANKS

Tim - Could you give me little more detail on how GM issues that certificate (Is it called a certificate?) You wouldn't have a copy of it you could Fax to me?? Fax 641-754-2731 Loren Bovee if possible.

Did the Dealer know about it ahead of truck delivery and notify you or did it come to you in the mail direct from GM without dealer knowing about it?? or did the dealer iniciate the request?

Is it a paper certificate etc or come thru to the dealer from GM with the PU invoice billing etc.?

Do you think there was any SPECIFIC long delivery parameters before GM would issue this?

This would give me a better understanding on who to request this thru.

Thanks - 75v
  • lainer1lainer1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where one of these trucks are located on lots in the USA??
    I'm having a lot of trouble finding them and I know they are out already. Thanks Elaine
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    RE: 2001 2500 D... "I know they are out already." Is technically accurate, but from our research all I can say is "Good Luck". They are in VERY short supply. I suspect it will be awhile before you will see one on the lot.

Ours has been on order since early December and we are hoping to see it by the end of February.
This discussion has been closed.