Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    You have problems with you seatbelt retractor also? Man, those Tundras must be junk. At least we got the GMboys off of the singing pig thing! Now if we can just get them to stop that incessant whining.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    to get the entire scoop on obyone and his three (3!) problematic Chevys. But it's all smoke and mirrors, half-truths, ommitted information and good 'ole fashioned BS when it comes to this guy.

His post #529 in the GM engine knock thread "kind of" describes what problems he's had. He stated that his truck barely vibrated and was unnoticeable by others, yet in his user profile his dream car is a "vibrationless Silverado." Sounds like his truck had the shakes and he won't admit it.

Furthermore, before his post #529, he stated that his notorious 4-month-in-the-shop-Lemonado was perfectly fine except for a faulty paint job. I called him to the carpet and asked him why GM would give him an upgraded power-train warranty after fixing a bad paint job but - SURPRISE! - no reply, only more "one star impact rating" nonsense. Sound familiar? No mention of a bad paint job in #529 or that his truck spent a whopping 4 months in the shop. Fixing what, we'll probably never know.

Basically, what he admits to is being dumb enough to take delivery on a vehicle that wasn't what he ordered. He returned it, purchased a 2000 model but took it to the dealer for every conceivable problem to build a case for himself in the event his 2000 model was as bad as the 1999s. He clearly stated in #529 the 2000 models had a lot of the same problems the 1999s did (and we all know how that truck did in the long term reviews!). But in our Toyota threads, he has nothing but good things to say about them while he fervently criticizes Toyota trucks. I guess this is the notorious Lemonado (the 2000?) that spent 4 months in the shop? Then he also admitted to having a Denali that knocks.

I'd love to talk to the folks at his Chevy dealership. I bet he has the same reputation there as he does here - that of an annoying whiner who has alterior motives and too much play time.

After knowing only this portion of the elusive entire truth, I find myself asking "Who the hell has the time to be bothered with all this? Ordering trucks, returning them, pestering dealer service departments to create 2" thick service files, losing the truck for 4 months for repairs to get an extended warranty, and then buying a $50K Denali yuppie-ute that knocks."

Tell you what, WORKING men who depend on their trucks sure wouldn't have the time to deal with this garbage. This is one situation where the truth would be far more wild and interesting than any of us could probably imagine.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    that out Pluts?

The bottom line.....you drive a deathmobile. One that Toyota doesn't give a dam about. You continue to preach the virtues of Toyota. Is there something missing? Yes, the village's idiot. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    It comes down to this for Oby - BLIND BRAND LOYALTY. They could sell him a pile of steaming excrement and he would be bragging to his friends about it.

Unfortunately, GM is resorting to using its most loyal customers to try to prop up the lowest quality and lowest reliability vehicles made. This will work for a while, but even the staunchest Chev zealots will eventually defect to other brands.

After Oby buys a few more GM lemons - it will occur to him that maybe other brands may be a better value. I only hope that this poor unfortunate realizes this sooner rather than later.

That being said - this is a Tundra problems topic. Doesn't seem that there are many posts here - (other than from GM owners posing as Toyota owners).

Good luck on this one now!
    How long? It doesn't take long to expose people dumb enough to say their Silverado doesn't shake yet their dream car is a "vibrationless Silverado" LOL!

What were you saying about the "dam village idiot?"
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    What could be more loyal than paying extra for cheap drum brakes in the 21st century? Your father-in-law heard the small truck wisdom you spouted on many occasion, and chose to buy a Chevy. What does that say?
    cheap drum brakes that stop faster than the Chevy's disk brakes?
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    For all I have a toyota tundra and my father has the gmc sierra, but I use his name and password cause it is easier and I am not sure if they will give 2 passwords to the same email. As far as my problems the cold start lasts for the first 5 ,miles on really cold days, I am thinking if I do keep it I will be investing in an engine block heater.The paint is a problem cause in a few yrs itll look like crap if I get any moisture under there, but I always take good care of my trucks, regular wash and wax along with maintainence.
    Sounds suspiciously like the mail carrier's son or daughter is playing on his computer.
    Doesn't take much to get you to post eh? So typical of a troll who answers questions not posed to him or can offer a valued opinion on towing or hauling? I think if you work hard enough you probably can get this topic shut down too. Then work on the other Tundra topic. What say Bama? Go for it. Isn't that a gas? And why are you so concerned about a mailman, he change your life or something? If you don't like what he's posting just skip over it. I do it with the garbage that a one star side impact rated truck owner posts all the time. I wouldn't take the time of day to read anything a person like that posts...you know what I mean don't you?
    You sound just a little bit angry. Is the stress of owning a Lemonado getting to you? I'm worried about you!
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Still no response as to YOUR experience towing,hualing or GM products?If you won't say what you've done why shuold we think you know anything about it?How can we value your advice if we can see it's inexperienced and insincere?

kip
    I'm still waiting for you Tundra wannabees to post your Tundra towing and hauling experience. Oops - I'm sure that I will hear total silence on this one.

KG - do you understand the difference? You are posting bashes to a Tundra topic having never owned one. I sure hope you see the light soon and buy a quality truck such as the Tundra.

I think that the constant knocking of your Lemonado may have impaired your thinking. This is a Tundra problems topic - remember?
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    I'm pretty sure you can have more than one username per e-mail address-each with it's own password.Personally,I wouldn't let my sons use mine anymore than they would want ME posing as them in another forum.

RE: F250 power. You live with your Dad,and you're looking to trade your late model Tundra for a $35,000 pick-up? I know I speak for most fathers with this statement;Keep the Toyota and GET YOUR OWN PLACE KID !(And your own identity)

kip
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    What part of the country are you in where you get the knock for up to 5 miles sometimes, and what temperatures are we talking. BTW Kip offered up some good advice there.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    Back to the topic and in reply to duckshooter:

"Were any of your plugs more crusty or gunky than the others or were all 8 the same?"

All of the old spark plugs were virtually the same. None were crusty or gunky. The insulators were just slightly off-white. The center electrode was rounded off on the edges due to normal spark erosion. Very little wear on the ground electrode.

"What does the book say on replacement?"

Replace at 30,000 miles. I changed mine at 29,500 miles. If you replace them with platinum plugs, you could probably extend this to 50,000 - 60,000 miles. Several at tundrasolutions have replaced the plugs with Bosch platinums and had good luck.

By the way, the plugs on the Tundra V8 are easy to access and easy to change. Just remove each coil with a 10mm socket and you have direct access to the plugs which will require a 16mm or 5/8" plug socket and a 6" minimum length extension. Recommended torque is 13 ft-lbs.

The repair manual recommends Denso or NGK standard copper replacement plugs. Both make platinum as well as iridium versions of spark plugs to fit the Tundra V8. The NGK iridiums are less expensive than the Densos and should last longer since they have a larger diameter center electrode (0.6 mm vs. 0.4 mm). I use the NGK Iridiums in my Honda motorcycle and 4-wheeler. I can get the NGK Iridiums for my motorcycle cheaper over the net (www.sparkplugs.com) than I can get the standard copper NGK plugs at the dealer.
    I guess if I want to read about truck problems, I will have to visit the GM threads...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's stop the personal back and forth here guys...

Thanks

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Retro Styling: A Look for the Future?

So if you're planning on adding fins to your next car, stop in!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Thanks for the plug info - I'll be replacing mine sometime this year and I'll refer back when that time comes. Glad to hear the pulling chore will be easy - getting to the back two on my runner was a major chore. The human arm only bends so many ways!

On another note - I keep getting MAJOR corrosion (blue buildup) on my ground battery terminal. Any recommendation on how to keep this clean?

Jeff
    Take the terminal loose and clean the connector and the battery post. Coat all exposed metal with vaseline. Reassemble.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Bama is right but go easy on the vaseline.
    Sometimes in hot climates or extended
    engine cranking it melts the stuff and
    sometimes causes A NO START condition !
    Auto parts stores carry a spray for
    just that purpose. As i remember its red
    in color. Just a thought......Geo

Now I gotta go look for the name on
    the can will post.........
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    FYI I live in Mass and the temps were around 35 or so degrees, sometimes a little higher and sometimes alittle lower.As for me using my father's name and password he told me about this site and recommended I use it. Does anyone have problems with that?I have not once butted into your life bama so stay out of mine.I have hauled about 1500 pounds and the rear sank but it drove fine and there was no lose or lack of power.It is not a work truck but more of a play truck.
    Theres just too many imposters in these threads solely looking to stir a pot. If you're truthful in your intentions and can add something constructive to this thread then feel free. How long has your truck knocked, and where is the paint peeling from, im guessing the hood ???

Cheers
    who can afford a Tundra doesn't have their own computer and username?? I smell an imposter..
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Can you guys tell me if the Tundra V8 has a timing belt or chain? Are these considered interference engines-as if a timing belt were to break, is the engine at risk of damage?

Also, how many miles do you guys have on your Tundras, and any major problems?
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Regarding the Tundra's peeling paint problems: Why does the problem seem to be mainly isolated to the hood? Is it the engine heat or maybe the hood is made of a different type of sheet metal that the rest of the body panels?? Just curious....

No peeling paint on my 19000 mile '01 Silverado, hood or anywhere else. one or two tiny chips in the front of the hood from playing chicken with rocks in the interstate but nothing through the primer.
    Tell me all about the peeling paint problem on your Tundra. You don't own one? Just whining like Oby about your Lemonado? I thought so.

How do we stop the incessant whining from the Tundra wannabees? It reminds me of one of those yappy chihuahuas. The ones you just want to punt. Oh well!
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    "Can you guys tell me if the Tundra V8 has a timing belt or chain? Are these considered interference engines-as if a timing belt were to break, is the engine at risk of damage?"

The Tundra V8 uses a belt to drive the cams. The belt drives the intake cams which in turn drive the exhaust cams via gears. My understanding is that the Tundra V8 is an interference engine based on this http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=981&location_id=540 but I'm not 100% certain and my repair manual doesn't state one way or the other. I'm going to assume it is to be on the safe side and replace my belt at the recommended interval. The recommended replacement interval is 90,000 miles.

"Also, how many miles do you guys have on your Tundras, and any major problems?"

I've got 29,500 miles on my 2000 Tundra V8 4x4 and have had no major problems. I've had it back to the dealer once in the 2.5 years I've owned it and that was to install a re-designed support bracket under the passenger side 60/40 seat (covered by a TSB and warranty - later models already have this design). And Toyota sent out new dipsticks for these engines through a service campaign. The 2000 model V8s came with a dipstick that was about 1/4" too short and nearly everyone was adding about a quart more oil than necessary. Other than that, nothing really to report.

Regarding paint peeling on Tundras, that's a new for me. I've been keeping an eye on Tundra issues for the past 3 years and haven't heard of paint peeling being an issue (my old 1990 Chevy pickup was a different story - talk about paint peeling off in sheets). Some have complained of chips in the paint, likely from road debris, but I've never heard anything about the paint coming off. I've touched up about a half dozen small (about 1/8" dia or less) rock ships on the front of my hood and on the lower leading edge of the bed and a scratch I inadvertently put in the tailgate, but other than that, the paint has been fine. Mine is white by the way and I also live on a gravel road which is the likely cause for the chips on the lower body. That has since been eliminated through the installation of Toyota factory running boards which keep any gravel kicked up by the front tires from contacting the body.

• kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    The Tundra has a timing belt and should be changed according to your service schedule around 90,000. My 2001 Tundra V8 has 15,000 miles and haven't had any problems runs great! I know several people with new chevy and gmc pickups that have had numerous problems. GM has always had a history of transmission problems along with peeling paint and now their newer models have electrical,vibration and oil consumption problems and of course the good ole piston slap. I have never and will never buy gm trash, if I hadn't bought my Tundra I would have gone back with Ford. I got a excellent deal on the Tundra and the crash test just helped that much more.
    www.toyotasolutions.com.
    The truth is over there forget the GM
    problems...different problems SAME problems !
    Seems no mfr. will step up to the plate !!!!
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I think Toyota had an option on the Tundra called anti-chip paint. (It is hard to understand why anyone would want easy-chip paint) Does anyone know if this is still a option?

Are the paint problems on trucks that have the anti-chip paint option or are problems limited to the standard easy-chip paint.

Does anyone know what the cable is that runs behind the rear differential of the Tundra - it looks like it goes from wheel to wheel. I am thinking maybe E-brake cable. It really hangs down on some trucks. Whats up with that?
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    I am sick and tired of you posting the same crap over and over. First, the name of the site is www.tundrasolutions. Second, I have not read even one post about peeling paint on Tundra solutions. Chipping paint I have read about, but not peeling. Third, go check out the NHTSA consumer complaint web site. It is very accurate since every poster must post the truck VIN number in order to post.

Read the posts about the Tundra vs. the Rado and then come back here and tell us which truck has MORE problems.

And for the rest of you non-Tundra owners who have nothing else to do but bash the truck, PLEASE go away.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    Tundra option for anti-chipping paint as far as I know. When I bought mine I researched all the options on the 02 Tundra and there was no such thing. Stop making things up.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Geez ol' buddy I just asked a simple question as to why most of the Tincandra paint problems seem to be isolated to the hood? As usual you don't know anything about it!! Preach your denial to this poor guy from tundrasolutions:

"I also have a red truck, only 2001 model. Same thing only mine seems to be weaker in the sides behind the rear doors. Always has scratches and seem to be multiplying. Service dept told me the paint was thin and was basically junk. Toyota national is looking into complaint. Also slipped and said the red does not have a clear coat. Should hear back from them soon..."
  • h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    Regarding sonjaab...If his venting here makes him feel better, so be it. Let the baby have his bottle!
    I took your post as a neutral, open minded question and nothing more. At least im hoping so, cause theres a few of us who are trying to get away from the personal stuff and more to the trucks here. Don't know if we'll get an answer to that here though.

XYZ - I would really hope that Toyota would include any so called anti-chip paint in the standard options of the truck. That kinna makes the other paint seem a little inferior, doesnt it ???
    "cause theres a few of us who are trying to get away from the personal stuff and more to the trucks here"

And who might that be? Bama? Pluto?

Good luck on this one now!!!!!!!
    Lol ... well I wasn't gonna name names but I for one don't mind a little fun every once in a while, keeps these threads movin at least, and a light mood. Just dont want the host to keep reminding us when to play right, and have to tell so and so to give so and so their bucket and shovel back lol.
    is kind of pushing it. I'm actually suprised that's even a recommended interval. 90K on a chain maybe but not on a belt. Better make sure you're running a non-int. engine if you're gonna stretch a belt near 100,000. Most belts are somewhere around 60K, even 75K on some. Have to wait until some of these engines get more miles on them to see how well the belts hold up with the DOHC.
    TO u smart axxes...same problems...I my
    zest i posted the incorrect site....
    exxxxxxxxxxxxxcuse me...............
    But still true peeling paint, brakes,
    cold start knock etc....amd we aint
    tALKIN' gm EITHER ! Ask my cousin 69k
    on his camry and broke belt = smoked
    motor...New cavilier instead to match
    his 100k plus one that outlasted his
    96 camry.....................geo
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Go easy on Ndahi. It's getting to him. He hasn't heard of these problems so it can't be true. (Don't try telling him the the earth is round.)

A dependable toymota truck like his with 15,000 miles is flawless! But by 60,000, his long running I-Farce desperately needs rubber belt transfusions to remain counted among the living!
    But those flawless toy boys will post no
    matter what....................geo
    I had one chip, slightly smaller than dime-size, appear on the roof. I thought it was maybe from a stray BB-size steel shot pellet from when I was goose hunting a field last year. But after reading numerous other folks describe similar chips, I wonder.

I used touch up paint and since it's on the roof to begin with, so I don't make a big deal of it. Otherwise, I've noticed that the paint overall is vulnerable to nicks and stone dings - one thing I would not rate highly on the truck.

Two years, 22,000 miles and no mechanical trouble - will ask Toyota to adjust the seat belt tensioners on my next visit for maintenance.

Jeff
    Believe my V6 4Runner had the timing belt - I don't exactly recall. I sold the truck at 96,000 miles and hadn't had it replaced. Guy who bought it asked and I told him no, I hadn't had it done -so it was a consideration in the asking price.

Incidentally, that truck had been manufactured in Japan in 1990 and its paint was in exceptional condition in 2000 - looked only a little worse after ten years than my current truck at two years.

Jeff
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    What kind of fuel economy do you get with a 4x4 Tundra with the V8?

Also, thanks for the responses re: timing belts.
    My 96 Caddy Northstar with DOHCs are
    run by CHAINS ! Why don't the superior
    I-farce v-8 use 'em instead of rubber
    bands ? Just a thought..............
    It seems like little yappy chihuahuas have free reign here.

hillhound May 8, 2002 8:50pm

I see no mention of peeling paint on the hood or otherwise. Could you be just a little confused?(Like your Tundra wannabee compatriots?)

I did a search on peeling paint on Tundrasolutions and could not find a single post. Could it be the TundraWannabees are fabricating problems?
    I get around 15 in mixed driving here in DC. I avoid a lot of the stop and go traffic with the hours I work.

On a trip to Alabama I averaged 21 going there - empty. Towing my bass boat back I averaged 15 on the highway. Overdrive off in the hills - which is about half the time. Probably could get as much as 17 on flat land towing.

Normal in and around towing I get around 13-14.

In my V-6 4Runner I used to get similar mileage towing, a little bit better for in and around mileage. Major difference is the size of the tank, which is a real plus on long trips. In my old truck, 300 miles and you were looking for a gas station. Tundra goes around 400 on the highway.

Another big difference is behavior - if you "step into it" with the Tundra, it will destroy your mileage.

Jeff
    I made a roundtrip to Mt. St. Helens. I was carrying two passengers (besides myself). I was traveling 75 - 80mph on the interstates for most of the trip. I had a 3000ft climb to Johnson observatory and a small distance in the city. I got 19.5 mpg. I was impressed.
  • h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    If the Cadillacs and their Northstar V8s are so superior, why is Lexus the most popular luxury vehicle in North America now?
This discussion has been closed.