Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Check over there again...Severe paint
    chipping not peeling ! And GM and mopar
    peelers were in the early 90s. It wAS
    PPGs fault not the mfrs. PPG paid for
    it all................Geo
    Ever owned a Caddy? Ever driven a stretched
    Camry ? I have.. GIVE me that 275 horse V8
    anytime...Driven by chains not belts !
    Wait till the new CTS puts Caddy back on
    top again !..geo
  • h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    But how does that change the painful fact Lexus had dethroned Cadillac as America's most popular luxury vehicle? Obviously, most people don't share your opinion, do they?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I checked. Please post a link to a severe peeling problem. Like I said - I did a search and found nothing. I predict total silence on this one!

Is she is just another liar or a Tundrawannabee? She certainly doesn't own a Tundra. It is sad to see unfortunate GM owners such as her and the Chihuahua relegated to making up Tundra problems and posting them to this group.
    What cars or trucks do u or have u owned ?
    Check back a few posts ask duck about
    his chipping paint...Then go over to
    www.tundrasolutions.com
    and do another search...look for engine
    knock too ! DENILE is not just a river !
    GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW !........geo

BTW: go over to the sedans thread here
    Check out a few of lexus problems threads
    Suprise..Suprise !!!!!!!!!!!
    So you are admitting that you were lying about Tundra paint peeling? You being a lemonado owner - I can't blame you. Since your credibility to this topic was zero to begin with - don't worry!
    your hand and read my profile to you.
    A while back...No vehicles posted..
    DID you JUST update it ?
    Makes me wonder about trolls popping up!
    GEE; You don't own a tundra either !!!!
    Quit skirting my question with your nonsensical diversions. If the Cadillac and its chain-driven V8 are so superior, why is Lexus the most popular luxury vehicle in North America?

Or are you just going to post some more nonsense about timing belts and hearsay from online disgruntled Lexus owners?
    Cuz those I farce belt driven motors
    an't last as long as a chain driven
    Caddy and have to be gotten rid of
    before $$$$$$ belt replacement.
    Like i said check out the sedans thread
    here at edmunds. Seem there are quite a
    few unhappy lexus owners who would rather
    trade 'em than fix ,em....geo
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Yeah I meant to sound neutral-was seriously curious as to why most of the peeling paint problems are isolated to the hood-not just on Tundra's really since I've seen it happen on other makes also.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    You always dodge the question

1. LA emt asked you if your cousin changed the timing belt on his camry at 60K as recommended by Toyota. Please tell us.

2. NHTSA has a compalint board where an owner MUST post a VIN number in order to register a complaint. I challange you to look up the complaints on the 02 Rado vs. the complaints on the 02 Tundra. You will find ONE for the Tundra vs. MANY for the Rado. You can do the same for all the Tundra model years and you will find a huge database for the Rado vs. a few compliants for the Tundra. The Rado has way more problems than the Tundra.

The Tundra did have the brake problems when it was introduced, but late model tundras do not have this problem.

The Tundra does have a start up clatter, but NO ONE has reported CONTINUED clatter like the Rado. If you read the GM Engine knock thread you will find Rados that clatter when cold, warm and under load.

There is not one inicident that I know of of peeling paint on a Tundra. Chipping paint from rocks does exist. Most paints have become less effective of late because of the environmental regulations that ban certain substances that make paint stronger.
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    I'm no paint man and I haven't had too much of a problem with all my GMs and paint peeling/chipping. Wondering if its related to excess heat from engine. The hood also takes the brunt of wind and debris at times. I'm assuming that the paint is applied in similar texture/thickness to all parts of vehicle. Is the quality of paint changing ???
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >The Tundra did have the brake problems when it was introduced, but late model tundras do not have this problem.<

You've already admitted you have the engine knock (cast vs forged?), and your rotors replaced so it's not just the early model problems. As long as they put drum brakes on, they still have problem to me.

And you're wrong about NHTSA. Your tindra generates complaints at twice the rate of GM or Ford. Each of the others outsells tindra about 7:1. Sorry.
    Read this:

bamatundra May 9, 2002 10:02am

I don't think that the yappy Chihuahua or any other Tundra wannabee can come up with any evidence of Tundra paint peeling on the hood or anywhere else.

You need to keep up!
    paint problems when they look like those GMCs with huge patches of primer gray exposed.
    When 8 yr old Tacomas aren't covered with open-wound rust sores.
    Ya i got your post about the peeling. I'm not here to say that it IS a Tundra problem or it ISN'T. I think I've heard of one person complaining about paint issues. Mailman threw out a paint problem too if you accept his credibility.

Hill asked the question I think in general to all makes of autos, so I'm just throwing out some ideas, not necessarily with regards to Toyota.
    Runny is back! Is this the Chev Chihuahua tag team? Boy - these poor unfortunates need to just buy a Tundra and be done with it! Good luck on this one now!
    Deep down you know very well that in the era Toyota made rust-prone vehicles the domestics were downright horrible. Enter the years of the Vega, Maverick, Mustang II, Citiation, etc. Coincidentally, my coworker's Toyota is well over 8 years and no rust.
    Man ya just gotta laugh at these threads sometimes ... entertainment at its online finest.
    You don't have to be a magician to see rust sores eating away sheet metal like cancer on Toyotas FAR newer than the '70s era you refer to.

And where ARE all those '70s (and '80s) Toyotas? Rustin' in piece! Same fate awaits them all. It always has.
    You are accepting a post from a poster who says that he owns a 2001 GMC Sierra Lemon?

Don't you think it a little funny that someone that owns a $25,000 dollar Tundra does not have his own email account?

Now the Mailboy is talking about trading in his Tundra on a Furd Stuporduty? What kind of sense does that make? There seems just a little bit of difference between a FUrd Stuporduty diesel and a Tundra. Is this poster totally confused?

He posted that he thought his Tundra was not "real full size". Geez, this seems a pretty idiotic post - his Tundra is the same size it always was - it did not shrink. This makes me think that the imposter is just borrowing his Daddy's email address.
    the 1970s and 80s Toyotas are already "RIP" and you wonder where they are, how do you know if they're rusting or not? And those so-called Toyota "rustbuckets" are what forced the domestics to clean their act up and produce a better product. What does that say about the domestic vehicles at the time?
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    I bought my first Toyota pickup in 87. I sold it in 90 before I went to Germany to a neighbor of my parents. It's still running fine @ 190K miles and has zero rust. Oh yes, it's in Toledo, Ohio (where they salt the roads starting in November?).

That's 15 years and no rust.

My 4Runner had not one spot of rust on it when I sold it at 96K miles and ten years - and it had NEVER once spent the night in the garage... and it had been from swamps of Alabama, tank trails and autobahns of Germany, central valley of California - chasing quail, to DC, to Kansas, and back to Alabama. Hardly an "easy" life for any truck. Not only did it have no rust, that "[non-permissible content removed]" paint job looked almost as good the day I sold it as my two year old "American" Tundra does now.

If there are older Toyotas out there with body rust problems, I'd submit their owners didn't care for them properly.

Jeff
    Please, get a grip. You make it sound like your Toyota was from the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli! My S10 Blazer has 137,000 miles on it, and I haven't pinned any medals on it for bravery.
    Your previous flawless toymotas are now somebody elses problem, my S10 has proved its worth and remains a keeper!
    http://www.cmohs.org/gallery/midi/marines.mid
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    I have tried to register but it wouldn't let me, I think do to the same email address. As for you thinking I am lying, well then that is your opinion. I have a green access cab 4x4 2001 tundra v8 4x4 with 22900 miles and I have had it for a year and a week. As for the problems you are looking for you will never find them cause the old tundra solutions crashed and that is where those posts were, not posted in the new tundra solutions. Look up taco in tundra solutions and you will see I am not lying and in fact it'll prove me right. If you still don't believe me then I would say you are way too ignorant for your own good.From now on I will post with my name on the bottom as to not confuse anyone(Nick).As for the other problems I have listed with my tundra others may not have them and some may, every truck is different.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Good post dude. I had the opportunity to exchange emails with your Dad when he first got the GMC. After his initial problems with his truck, I noticed that he hadn't post for a while and was wondering what was happening to his account as he didn't appear to be the type to waste his time trolling.

To assist in your registration, you may want to create another email address via hotmail or yahoo. Also if you're on cable or dsl, multiple email addresses are available through your email program such as Outlook.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    What are you smoking? I have NEVER EVER had any problems with my breaks. Find me a post where I said I changed the rotors on my tundra. You must be smoking the good stuff. Can I have some?
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    "Taco in Tundra solutions"? I'm sorry ,I don't understand what that'll prove.You had a Taco too? Tacos have peeling paint and knocking engines?My '95 didn't have either.It still don't ,I went 4 wheeling with the guy I sold it to this weekend.

As for the Ford SD,get the diesel.The PSD option is cheaper than a good blower(installed $5,000+) and will last 3 times as long.

kip
    BTW ; I still think you should have your own place before spending $40k on a truck.I know I wish MY 25YO son would move out.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Your point would be ...? Another of your posts suggested Toyotas go to rust. Not in my experience. And I've owned 3 Toyota trucks and none of them were pampered.

That's not to say they can't - any truck CAN rust if not properly cared for. But to suggest, as your previous post did, that Toyotas are unusually susceptible to rust, is just plain wrong and misleading.

Jeff
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    '86 and prior Toyota's were rust prone. Why do you think you don't see more of them as tough as they were....Quad's right on this one. Didn't matter how good you cared for them, they rusted! I know, I owned one.
    Tom
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    No I don't think there is a widespread problem with peeling paint on any Toyota vehicles. But even someone as vehement as you would have to admit there are alot of complaints about the Tundra's paint-alot of them concerning the hood.

But I can understand why you'd get your panties in a twist. I would too if my truck appeared on this list: http://www.lemonlaw.com/lemonlist.html

Bama-did you notice the Tundra is the only Toyota vehicle listed?? What are your comments on that fact lemonade man?

Ndahi,

Remember when I posted the list of the 25 worst vehicles according to the Center for Auto Safety?

What did you do? Call me a liar? Demand proof? The earth is not flat! The Best truck? Ford F-series, #1. Your Tundra generates complaints to the NTHSA at a rate DOUBLE GM or Ford!

Top 25 Best and Worst Vehicles The Center for Auto Safety analyzed complaints made to the government by Americans having problems with their vehicles. Below are the models that received the fewest complaints, and those that received the most. Models introduced in 2000 and 2001 are not represented due to a lack of data.

Best (Fewest complaints) Worst (Most complaints)

1. Ford F-Series 1. Mazda MPV

2. BMW 3 Series 2. Kia Sportage

3. BMW 5 Series 3. Ford Excursion

4. Volkswagen Golf 4. Ford Windstar

5. Mazda Truck 5. Mercury Cougar

6. Volvo C70 6. Volvo S40

7. Volkswagen Beetle 7. Honda Passport

8. Nissan Sentra 8. Honda S2000

9. Infiniti G20 9. Mitsubishi Eclipse

10. Acura RL 10. Isuzu Rodeo

11. Saab 9-5 11. Ford Explorer

12. Chevrolet Prizm 12. Land Rover Range Rover

13. Toyota Corolla 13. Audi A6

14. Infiniti QX4 14. Hyundai Tiburon

15. Nissan Altima 15. Honda Odyssey

16. Lexus RX300 16. Lincoln LS

17. Nissan Maxima 17. Jeep Grand Cherokee

18. Acura TL 18. Volkswagen Passat

19. Saab 9-3 19. Buick LeSabre

20. Pontiac Bonneville 20. Suzuki Grand Vitara

21. Mazda Millenia 21. Chevrolet Blazer

22. Mazda 626 22. Chevrolet Impala

23. Lincoln Town Car 23. Toyota Tundra

24. Ford Focus 24. Dodge Dakota

25. Honda Accord 25. Dodge Neon

http://www.lemonlaw.com/lemonlist.html

Ford F-150:

Toyota Tundra:

Both trucks appear to have chipping paint problems!
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    Of course a 1st year model vehicle will have more than an average amount of defects which trigger complaints. That's a given. But Quad, your post indicates that models introduced in 2000 & 2001 are not represented due to a lack of data. Does that mean that only the 2000 models that were sold in 1999 are on the list? These must have been the first Tundras to roll off the assembly line.
    Wasn't the Tundra introduced in 1999 as a 2000? If so, then all models 2000 to present would be represented. Parse the data if you wish. Bottom line, it's a lemon!

Your knockerado didn't even make the list? What does that mean - it is a few hundred vehicles down? Man! GM junkerados strike again!
    And popping head gaskets....Yup don"t see
    too many older toyotas in northern NY !
    Lots of long lastin' GMs,Fords, Mopars
    still around....but no older toyotas !
    Wonder why them good ones don't last
    around these parts?..........geo
    Have a good Lemon Survival Kit no tindra owner should be without!

To get rid of your Lemonundra click here http://www.lemonlaw.com/rid.html

1-800-LEMONLAW
    At least your Lemonundra did better than the Kia Sportage, or the Hyundai Tiburion, though not as well as the Hyundai Snotta.
    Rail dust and rust thru the sheet metal
    are 2 different things.....Ask me about
    my 2 rusted thru 3 yo toyotas....geo

BTW: My 83,87 s10s..90,94,97 GM full
    sizers never had a rust problems.....

How does this steering box assembly look for only being three years old?

Read all about it: http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/rust.html

Now I know why I got rid of my GMs! Never had one speck of rust on my Fords or Toyotas. Good luck on this one now!

What happened to the mighty GM Lemonados? They didn't even make the list. Pretty sad. They do have some big knockers, though.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Again, we have the same people making the same points that have been made time and time again, trying to PROVE something to the other side. And nobody is going to change their minds about anything. We're back into the "clever" nicknames for each others trucks and starting to call other users names.

It's time to give this nonsense up guys.

If you want to continue this personal fight, take it someplace else.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Nice pics of a 70s GMC...Lots of em'
    still on the road ! Try and FIND any
    70s Toyotas anywhere in the rust belt.
    LIKE RUBE SEZ RUSTED AND BUSTED !!!!!

tIME to fish now bye bye ...and i like
    your updated profile and no tundra huh?
    read the accompanying article. The 1973 through 1987 GMCs all had the same rust-prone design and related rust problems. And the ones you still see on the road probably have been completely overhauled, like the one in the pictures. Or more recently, repainted due to the peeling paint fiasco. That's something to be proud of, isn't it?

Like you, I've owned both GMCs and Toyotas, but no Tundra. So what makes you more qualified than me to post here?
This discussion has been closed.