Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• lman333lman333 Member Posts: 10
    Hi lariat1/Ed:

thanks for the good idea of the pipe insulation. I did purchase
    some regular insulation, and we will see how that works, but I can visualize the pipe insulation and that it might work well.
    If the other stuff doesn't work, the pipe insulation will be my
    next choice.

Thanks for the input.

Lman
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    I always check the "trouble with..." site before I buy a vehicle...My F-150 with 49K is turning into a "real FORD" Fix or Repair Daily. Seems like most of the gripes on the Tundra are pretty minor. None of the Ford...my engine blew up at 8K!! I guess I'll order the SR5 4WD. Any thoughts on whether the TRD package is worthwhile??
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Plenty of gripes about the brakes though...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com
  • junebugjunebug Member Posts: 8
    I was thinking the V8. Do you think that's overpowered for someone who is unlikely to tow anything and will use it primarily for hauling mulch, junk to the dump -- you know, household kinds of things. I mean, he's not going to load fence posts or wire. I was thinking the bigger engine because of the mountain driving. I thought I picked up from reading some thread that you can only get an automatic with the V8. Is that true? If so, then it will likely be the V8. He's getting older and the ol' clutch knee is giving out.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    sounds like you are a great wife. personally, i'd rather have more power than not enough, and i forgot that there is only one v8 available for the tundra, so with the intended use you've outlined, the v8 should be just fine. hope he enjoys it. good luck.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I installed one called Trail Seal, works great on my Silverado. I'll check to see who makes it, I thought it was better than the one in Cabela's.
    Here you go, try this site: www.accesscover.com/Products/Trailseal.asp

I've had mine on for a year and it works great!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    You are making an excellent choice. The Tundra has won the J.D. Power award for initial quality in full size pickups for 2000 and 2001 (What do you want to bet they win 2002 also?)

Consumer Reports has ranked the Tundra "better than average" reliability (The best rating that they have awarded to full size pickups).

I have owned my Tundra 2 years and have not had a single problem. I have an SR5 V8 extended cab 4X4. It is silent and smooth on the interstate while delivering up to 19.5 mpg. The brakes are the most powerful of any 1/2 ton pickup. Add Toyota's legendary reliability and you have an amazingly good value in full size pickups.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Can i nominate you to do tundra commercials?
    Thanks for your advice. I think I'll buy it in Colorado rather than Maryland. The issue of whether trucks delivered to high altitude dealers are calibrated for the low oxygen, steep grades of the mountain west remains unresolved. Therefore, I think I'll play it safe and wait to buy it there.

Thanks, everyone.
    I live in Colorado. There is no difference. As long as truck meets N.E. federal emissions, it's fine.

In days gone by, when vehicles used carburetors, garages used to tweak 'em for the altitude, advancing the ignition timing, leaning out the air screw for better driveability. Thing of the past. It's not even legal for them to touch that stuff now.

Might be moot for you at this point, since it's already Friday. Could be driving that 83 Landcruiser out here afterall.
    Modern fuel injection systems do not normally need to be recalibrated for changes in altitude. I would buy the truck wherever I could get the best deal.
    Sure - I would be glad to do Tundra commercials. Feel free to nominate me.
    Well, that's a bit more definitive. I still have until Monday....
    now the hard part color?
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    I like green! Get green! ha!
    is one of the best for looking clean all the time, and has been the color of a few of my vehicles. although i now have a red and blue vehicle, i'm thinkin about how much more time i would have if at least one of them were pewter. doesn't show the scratches either like dark colors, and the tundra looks great in that color, but the rado looks better.....sorry, i had to say it.
    Seems the ABS option is kind of hard to find. My 3wk wait for my SR5 4X4 (only 2 wks now!) was because I wanted ABS. I was sort of ho-hum about getting this truck...mainly I just wanted to get rid of my F-150. Now I'm really looking forward to driving the Tundra.
  • talentofficertalentofficer Member Posts: 2
    I am going to buy the tundra access cab and need info. I have a terrible tacoma and am looking for some warning before changing models. How come noe problems in the "problems board". Is the tundra that good?
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    The Tundra is a good truck....but not perfect.

A lot of discussions on the Tundra can be found at.....

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/index.php

Good Luck.

-David

• lman333lman333 Member Posts: 10
    ricshr:

Thanks for the link! I think this sealer will do the trick.

Lman
    Post how it works for you, It's simple and effective. Best part is it's a soft rubber type which works well when it gets cold too.
  • jrnixonjrnixon Member Posts: 1
    Tundra V8 Ltd 4x4

Problems

Arrogant Toyota dealers rip you off
    Poor after sales service (deny problems)
    Vibration from front end
    Rough gear shift
    Vague handling on bends
    Rust spots where paint chipped
    Rust on underside
    Pieces of interior trim fall off
    Center console latch broken
    Front windows rattle in wind
    Gas guzzler

Wife's is even worse -serious transmission problem.
    Are you sure your not driving a Ford??
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    I changed the oil in my '02 TRD Tundra at 3500 miles. I put Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic oil in her. How long are some of you going on your oil change intervals with little or no off roading?
    I do not own a tundra but i run mobil 1 (5w-30) in my truck and have for 12K miles (last 4 changes)

I do mostly city driving now that summer is over.

I always change at 3K.

Also check at your local walmart every once in awhile they get 5qt jugs of mobil 1 and its usually under $20 (very good price)

Ryan
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I change at 3500.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    After switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 at 9,000 miles, I change my oil every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first (about the same for me since I put about 12,000 miles per year on my truck). I also run a Bosch Premium oil filter. Last oil change I inadvertently went to 7,500 miles, but the oil still looked honey brown on the dipstick and it hadn't used any oil.

Alan
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Guys. That gives me some base lines. I think I will extend out past the 4000 miles theory I have used in the past.I will probably go with 5k or 6k. I don't want to dump good oil. Also, I use Toyota filters. I want to stay with spec. parts. My dealer sold them to me for $5. I didn't think that was too bad.
  • gmw2216gmw2216 Member Posts: 12
    I've had a problem with 4wd not engaging. Push the button and the light flashes. Took it to the shop and they changed the switch. It worked for about two weeks then the same thing thing happened again. This time they changed the actuator. So far it is working. Hope this doesn't continue after the warranty expires. BTW, other than the fact that I had to take it back a second time, I am happy with the service I received from Toyota.
  • busdriver2busdriver2 Member Posts: 1
    Am giving some consideration to replacing my '95 F-150 which has been an "acceptable"truck,however,would like a truck that will last a little longer. Do any of you have Tundras with over 100,000 miles on them. If so, how much have you spent on maintenance? What,if anything,is about to need replacement on your vehicle. In short,does the legendary Toyota longevity apply to the Tundra. If I buy,it will be a V8 4WD with ABS and Limited Slip.Thanks.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    COnsidering it was introduced 2 years ago I doubt there's too many out there with 100K yet.
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Wondering if anyone has had any problems or dislikes with the smaller V-6 engine. For me the V-8 doesn't serve much purpose. I have nothing to tow and really no need to pay the extra money. I haven't seen many 6s out there though. Im also wondering, to the people who've had problems with their Tundras. Are these problems somewhat minor compared to other makes of trucks in your experience, or more moderate problems. Thanks
    Go to http://www.tundrasolutions.com and do a search on brakes.
  • opsofficeropsofficer Member Posts: 4
    I just received a letter from the factory saying they were sending me a dip stick in a round container in a week or so. The letter was a "don't be afraid to open this unexpected package." Is this something about the discrepancy
    between what the owner's manual says the oil capacity is on the V8 versus the 7.8 quarts it actually takes to bring the oil up to the top mark on the dip stick? Oh boy, if Toyota can't get the dip stick right, we're all in trouble.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Problems with the V6:

Vibration/shake problem: Fixed with michelin tires, alignment, and balancing the tires

Turn signal recall: Never had a problem but got it fixed anyway.

The V6 is a good deal for the money.
    opsofficer,

The early model 2000 Tundras with the 4.7L V8 came with a dipstick that was about 1/4" too short. The owners manual is correct in that it takes 6.4 quarts of oil w/filter change to fill it up. Problem was that full was only about midway between the dimples on the dipstick. Many people, dealerships included, were putting in 7.0-7.5 qts of oil to bring it to the full dimple on the dipstick. While this was not likely to cause any engine problems, it did create quite a bit of confusion. The problem was corrected on later model 2000s and subsequent models. If you have an early model 2000 Tundra 4.7L V8, the incorrect dipstick will not have a part number stamped on it. The correct dipstick has a part number stamped on it. If my memory serves me correctly, it was something like "50101".

Alan
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    Am ordering the 2002 Tundra Access Cab, V8, Auto,
    4 x 4, Tow Package up to 5,000 LBS., Convenience package, All Weather Package, Limited Slip Differential, etc. I do plan to do some towing, either a 2500 lb boat or a trailer that weighs under 4000lbs. Does the ABS feature impact on towing at all?

I need some FEEDBACK ON ABS brakes! Is this a desirable feature and what is the maintenance/reliability of the ABS.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    I would go w/o ABS. I like to modulate my own brakes. I never liked ABS and I race cars for a hobby.

Also if you do not intend to go off road, then do not get a 4X4. Get a 4X2 with a limited slip. That is what I did and I need my truck for towing once a month and as a daily driver.

The more complicated the truck becmomes the more stuff will breka on it. That is why I did not get the ABS and the 4X4. Why do I need more options that I do not use (4X4) and have not proved their effectivness (ABS)
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    If you live in cold climate weather that receives snow or ice, I definitely would get them. Amazing how they work on slippery road conditions. You cannot modulate non-ABS breaks to make them work the same. Saved my bacon more than once.
    i'm curious, since you don't have the ABS feature, how do you state "and have not proved their effectivness(ABS)".......???
    I would never buy a vehicle without ABS, and if I was towing I think that ABS is a must. On my '02 the ABS has already saved my butt once on a wet road!
  • lisalaurellisalaurel Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if any of you have every got Toyota to confirm the cause of "clunk" sound as described in earlier messages. Happens when you just take off in drive. Other post have mentioned it could be a normal ABS check. Thanks for any help.
    Yeah, I asked the dealer about the "clunk" last week and he said it was normal for ABS trucks.
  • johns17johns17 Member Posts: 2
    I have a late model 2000 V8 4x4 Tundra with 22K miles. It is lightly used as a pickup, no heavy loads no towing and short hops to work. It is taken on a variety of trips carrying a variety of stuff less frequently. I have been from NY to south Florida with it twice, maintaining 85 for long stretches on 95. This includes the morning after I picked the new truck up in 12/2000. I've never experienced the vibration problem that was frequently discussed with early Tundras. This one came with a bunch more options than I would have preferred but that's all that was available at the time. Re performance: this truck has never been back to the dealer for warranty service, nothing has required a repair. It has only had routine maintenance, oil changes and tire rotations. It's overall performance and quality is comparable to the Lexus I had a couple of years ago. It's not a heavy duty truck nor do I need one, but it snows a lot here so the 4WD is used daily in the winter. I decided on the Tundra over the F150 at the time because of the many reports of piston slap in the Ford 5.4 V8. I've been glad every day since. I know that when I get ready to sell this one and move on it will still treat me right.
  • morkapmorkap Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Tundra has a wind noise problem that sounds like flapping along the top of the windshield. It only happens at high speed and in cold weather.
    The dealer says that it is the design of the Toyota bug screen. They replaced it once. They have not been very helpful. They have suggested removing it. Has any one else had the same problem and had it resolved?
    That "clunk" right after you begin to move first thing in the morning is likely the ABS diagnostic test to verify that all is working properly. That is the way the system is designed. The ABS control unit is located on the right front fender inside the engine compartment.

Alan
    My '02 SR5 4X4 (w/TRD) is a month old now and I really love this truck! My only negative comment would be on a vibration I feel in the center console arm rest (I have the front bench) at approx. 70mph. Anyone else had a similar problem?
    I've had the tires rebalanced and am going to have the dealer check the alignment. The wheel doesn't shimmy at all.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    Toyota recommends 26 psi front and 29 rear. That psi has been found to cause vibrations. Inflate your front tires to 33 psi and the rears to 31. I had a slight steering wheel vib with low tire pressure. I increased the pressure and it is gone.

If that does not work go to www.tundrasolutions.com and read the FAQ, specifically the alignment section. The get an alignment to those specs in the FAQ.

Good luck
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Regarding the tire rebalancing that you had done, was the tires balanced on a Hunter GSP 9700. This system is highly recommended for any vibration that may be tire related as it is able to diagnose almost all sources of tire/rim related vibrations. If there is a vibration related to the rim or the tires, this machine will find it. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.