Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jrjeepjrjeep Member Posts: 5
    Ye, I did it! I went today and ordered a new wrangler. Now it's just a waiting game. It should be here some time in June and I can't wait:) So what do you all think? If I can do it so can saharanut.

Does any one remember me?:)
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Wow..I really feel th love in this room!
    I appreciate all your support guys!
    I kinda like twylie's suggestion about numbering the calendar. The problem is Mrs. Nut is thinking about the jeep as a 3rd vehicle..
    i just wanna trade my frontier in for it.
    Plus we have a mobile home we are tryiung to get rid of. So paying for a house payment & a mobile home payment is tough..
    I know she is right..its just I'm obsessed with that jeep. I gotta have it.
    I guess we are still little boys with our toys
    thanx for letting me stay in the club

Saharanut
    (terry)
  • tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    You Da Man! Nice going. Sure we remember you. I got a hold of a person who works at the Toledo Wrangler Plant and he said the line will be down the week of the 16th. Even so, he said it should not take more than 4 weeks at this time to get the order. So maybe we will both get our jeeps in May. I did get my VON number this time so I will be calling DC in about a week or two to get an update. Lets here the details of what you got.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I'd make a deal with her:

Tell her that once the mobile home is sold, you are then going to trade in the Frontier on a Wrangler. The mobile home sale sounds like the problem, not the jeep part of the equation. Simplify things first, then tackle your "problem" of not having a jeep. I think once you get rid of the double payments, and have the $$$ from the sale, you can sell her on the jeep idea.

good luck
  • tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    I'm curious about the 2002 Wrangler. Does anyone know what changes are to be made if any. I have heard that they may go to a hard top with removable panels and what about the 3.7L V6? I also heard that there may be some changes to the bumpers. Does anyone really know yet. It's not that long before they go into production so the information has to be somewhere.

tluke
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    They have been pretty closed mouthed about it, but I would guess that the changes you note are the most likely ones. DC has postponed the Wrangler's next redesign until the later part of the decade on account of the company's cash flow. I think the new engine is almost guaranteed, if not in the 2002 models, then definitely by 2003. I kinda doubt that there will be a new hard top next year but you never know. I don't think there will be any drastic changes next year, other than the loss of the ancient-but-trustworthy 4.0L engine.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    I sure hope they don't do anything drastic. I was looking at a little computer display in one dealership during my search and there was something horrible called the "Icon" that was a concept vehicle looking frighteningly like the Wrangler. The salesperson said this was what would replace the Wrangler, but I got the feeling he didn't know what he was talking about (do they get these unknowledgeable people to work there on PURPOSE?!?)

Mike
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    take it for what it's worth, but the track record for this column is better than many on the internet. This was put out end of Jan, this year.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b012601.htm

They are saying that the 3.7l V6 and modular HT don't see light until 2003. This makes a bit of sense to me in that the plant isn't shut down for too long this summer.

Again, everything's a guess until there is an official announcement.

-twylie

two suggestions... 1) keep the front end waxed if bugs are a problem so they'll come off easier, and 2) buy a bottle of Meguiar's Quick Detailer to keep with you. We take a visit down to the gulf coast of FL a few times a year and they have these nasty critters called love bugs that absolutely swarm in late summer. In a 6 hour trip, it is not uncommon to have to stop more than once to clear the windshield because the wipers dont' cut it on these guys. We usually take my wife's car to the beach, and the Meguiars is nice because I can hit the front once we get there to prevent the bug guts from eating the finish. I was told that their guts are acidic and will destroy the paint if left on for any length of time. I can tell you it's unlike anything I've ever seen if you travel during the peak.

-twylie
    Heya

I'm having some coolant added at my original dealer today, and when I do I'm going to have them listen to a sound I've noticed. Maybe it's normal for a stick shift but I wanted to ask you guys as well.

It's when I shift into third or fourth gear usually - sort of a low rumbling or rattling type sound that lasts for a few seconds, then goes away when my RPM's get up to around 2250 or so. I also noticed it'll come back if I let up on the gas while in third, and maybe also in fourth. It definitely sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the back under the body. Normal? Cross your fingers for me that it's not a problem!!!

Mike
    Speaking of RPMs, I recall a recent thread about when people shift. I think it was twylie or tjy who said they shift around 2900 RPMs, and tsjay said he shifts around 2000 consistently. I usually do it between 2,850 and 3,100 - generally, as the needle is passing 3,000. Maybe it's because I have the SE and tsjay has the Sport? I feel like if I shifted at 2,000 I'd be lugging the engine by shifting prematurely. Conversely, if I wait any longer than 3,100, it sounds like the engine is revving too high, so it "sounds" right to me where I'm doing it. However, the little light in the dash sometimes seems to suggest I shift early, sometimes right after I've just upshifted - needless to say, I don't pay much attention to it. It doesn't seem to make any sense. Any thoughts?
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Can you hear the rattle and does it shake the Jeep? If so you may have a slight driveline vibration problem. I don't know if it's normal on the manuals but I doubt it. My girlfriend has an auto SE and sometimes it vibes too. But not as much as you say yours does. Get it checked out, something maybe just slightly off angle. About shifting. Yes you will be shifting at different RPM's than TSJay. Most people with manualls actually remove that shift indicator light, your doing the best thing by listening to your engine and shifting when it "sounds" right, that's the best way to get to know you Jeep :)

Happy Jeepin'
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Well I took the doors off for the fist time yesterday, yes it's easy to do. I was just worried about getting pulled over for not having side mirrors and I couldn't really order any and have them here in the same day so I "ghetto rigged" my side mirrors. So here's the way to TEMPORARLY have side mirrors in case you find yourself wanting to take the doors off but you don't have any relocator barckets. (this may be more effort than it's worth but it was better than a ticket for me.) If you look inside of the TJ's you will see three bolts runing up and down on both sides of the dash near the doors (both driver and passanger side). I removed the top bolt and put the mirror base (the part that actually screws into the door) on that top bolt. Only one screw so you can only use one of the holes on the base, not all three. If you get it tight enough, it will hold although it shakes a pretty good bit and is hard to see out of sometimes, but like I said before, it makes it legal. I did have to switch the mirrors on their bases by removing the bolt on the bottom. (the left mirror mounts to the right bracket and vise-versa.) and that was pretty much it. If your planning on leaving your doors off for a long time, then do get the relocator brackets, but if not this will save ya some $ for other mods. Ok, now that I've confused the heck outa everyone, talk to ya later!

Happy Jeepin'
  • rs1157rs1157 Member Posts: 41
    When does the fuel light come on for your Jeep. Mine came with abouth 6 gallons remaining. I filled it up to 14.5 gallons I know the tank holds 19, so i had a bit less then 6 gallons, but still does it usually come on that early? Also for all you guys who both the locking gas cap wondering how much you payed? 2 dealers quoted me $40. I think it should cost 15. When i went to the lot, so some kids trying to open it, but when i cam they hawled. It is better to be safe then sorry. I do not want to have to eat $40 from that stupid dealer.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    My light comes on real early too. I had a similar experience to yours.

I have seen posts where people have paid much less than $40 for locking caps, but it has been a long time. I would hate to have to try to find those posts!

How about quadratec.com?

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I posted a response to your question about shift point RPMs, but it was lost in the glitch in the Edmunds system.

I told you that you are right about the shift points being different for the four cylinder vs. the six cylinder.

When I shift at 2000 RPMs, Thelma is happy, but that would probably be too low on RPMs for the four cylinder and would lug down the engine.

Where were you during the chat last night? Everyone thought you would be there.

Tsjay

Town Hall had a hiccup and lost about a day's worth of messages yesterday. Details here:

Sylvia "Talk to the Hosts Part Three" Apr 12, 2001 8:25pm

Apologies.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • wranglerwantedwranglerwanted Member Posts: 18
    That was me...
    Should I be getting Dana44 and not ABS? I was thinking of going with the 3.73 axle plus ABS and the 31/30 at some point.

-------------------------------------------

I've got my list together as far as what I want. The only thing I haven't decided on was the tire and wheel group. I want ABS so I don't think I will go with anything larger then "31 tires 15x8 wheels. I don't really like the grizzly wheels, but the stock tire and wheels look horrible. I guess I could go with the full face untill I save up enough to buy new tire and wheels. What do you guys think of the full face? How do they look. The picture on the jeep website isn't very good, I'd like to see what they look like on a Wrangler.

Also, my friend said that 31's are easier to come by then '30s. I thought I read on previous posts that you can't go with anything larger then 30s with the stock suspension. What about my ABS, with such large tires and wheels should I not get it? Thanks again.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I enjoy reading about all of you and your Jeeps. After reading this last batch of messages, I wanted to add my 2 cents to Saharanut's case, using my story. I am a 48 year old woman who had always driven regular cars -- never even thinking about anything else -- until one year ago. It all started when I invited my nephew (a very outdoors guy) to Switzerland for his high school graduation present. I was searching for art museums and architectural sites, without much luck when it dawned on me that Switzerland was for OUTDOOR stuff, such as HIKING. So I bought a pair of hiking boots, took a backpacking class, got caught up in "gear" fever and ended up with a Wrangler. I didn't know I was going to get one until I saw the perfect one in a dealership window as I was driving home from REI. Perfect for me is white with a tan soft top -- never thought I'd own a "convertible," either. I had to get the Sahara because I wanted the green and tan interior (goes with the boots -- also with the high heels for work, I might add). I also liked the Sahara logo on the tire cover (I know, I know... very superficial). Anyway, my point is, PLEASE, Mrs. Saharanut, PLEASE let your husband have his car. My Sahara is my all-time favorite car. I can't imagine life without it.

By the way, my Jeep's name is Mr. Jeepers. And, yes, I HAVE hugged my Jeep today.
  • marie23marie23 Member Posts: 1
    I enjoy reading about all of you and your Jeeps. After reading this last batch of messages, I wanted to add my 2 cents to Saharanut's case, using my story. I am a 48 year old woman who had always driven regular cars -- never even thinking about anything else -- until one year ago. It all started when I invited my nephew (a very outdoors guy) to Switzerland for his high school graduation present. I was searching for art museums and architectural sites, without much luck when it dawned on me that Switzerland was for OUTDOOR stuff, such as HIKING. So I bought a pair of hiking boots, took a backpacking class, got caught up in "gear" fever and ended up with a Wrangler. I didn't know I was going to get one until I saw the perfect one in a dealership window as I was driving home from RI. Perfect for me is white with a tan soft top -- never thought I'd own a "convertible," either. I had to get the Sahara because I wanted the green and tan interior (goes with the boots -- also with the high heels for work, I might add). I also liked the Sahara logo on the tire cover (I know, I know... very superficial). Anyway, my point is, PLEASE, Mrs. Saharanut, PLEASE let your husband have his car. My Sahara is my all-time favorite car. I can't imagine life without it.

By the way, my Jeep's name is Mr. keepers. And, yes, I HAVE hugged my Jeep today.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Thanks for your support Marie...i need all i can get.. I am gonna get that jeep just dont know when
    have some financial trouble...plus we cant agree on will the jeep be a 3rd vehicle...or trade in my truck ( i wanna trade). I've done TONS of reaseach on Wranglers..you should see my jeep folder! only left i could do is got to Ohio and watch them build it. Again I appreciate your support.. keep posting!

saharanut
    Terry

I have aready have a name too..TAZZ
    keep hugging
    You can't name it TAZZ, saharanut, because that was the name of my last Jeep. Mind you, I've never named any of my vehicles, but when I bought Wrangler #1 (a red '94) used, it had these godawful Tasmanian Devil floot mats in it, and I kept them primarily to horrify people riding shotgun. All my friends started calling the Jeep "Tazz," then started calling me "Tazz," forcing me to sell the Jeep and buy a nice conservative (grin) green-and-tan Wrangler new in 1998.

What I am saying, then, is that somewhere Tazz lives, assuming its new owner has not wrecked it and/or removed the "colorful" floot mats. Your Jeep would have to be Tazz #2.
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    Shift point depends on the motor and on what the demands are. On a flat or a downhill, anything over idle in the next gear is OK, because the torque demands are minimal. If, however, you need torque for uphills or for acceleration, then you want to keep the motor in the "fat" part of its torque band (because this rpm has the capability of delivering the greatest accelerating force). So you shift at the upper end of the torque peak, into the lower part of the torque peak in the next higher gear.

Went back to a Jeep brochure. The 4.0 shows a broad torque peak running all the way from 1200 to 4400 rpm. Shifting at 2 grand would put you back at the lower end of this peak (still over 210 lb-ft of torque). Thus, you can easily shift the 6 cylinder at 2 grand.

The 2.5 is a little peakier. Older brochures showed a torque peak at about 2500 rpm, but the year 2000 brochure here in my lap shows a slightly broader peak from about 2400 all the way up to about 4400 rpm. For flats or dowhills, I shift between 2500 and 3000, which puts the motor below or near 2000 in the next gear - OK if the torque demands are minimal. For uphills, however, I shift at 3500, and if higher acceleration is necessary, I delay the shift to 4,000. The gearbox is a "wide ratio" set, and the rpm's drop quite a bit between the gears. If you need torque, it is OK to wind up a little (to 4 grand). If I do not need the torque, I try to shift so that the rpm's in the next gear are near 2 grand, because the 4-banger is not that happy below 2000.

BTW, my 2.5 seems to be happiest and smoothest at about 2500, so that's where I cruise. Red line rpm for the 2.5 is shown at 5,400 rpm and for the 4.0 at 4,600 rpm. Never exceed these engine speeds.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    Hi! In case you haven't seen my Thelma Jane's web page, here's the link:

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

And be sure and check out my granddog's page:

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/raj.html

Thelma and Ross Allen are my two best buddies in the whole world!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep and your dog today?

Bought myself a set of torx wrenches and a set of metric boxed end/open end wrenches today.

I gave Thelma Jane a real good bath after work today, and tomorrow the top comes off for sure, and if I can bring myself to do it, the doors come off too!

I'll ge some pics.

If there was ever a top down day, it was today! It was about 70 to 75 degrees and sunny all day today. It was one of those days that it ought to be against the law to have to work.

I hope Ross Allen will have enough sense not to try to jump out of Thelma Jane. He has never ridden in a vehicle with the top down.

I guess I'd better cruise around the neighborhood a little and let him get used to the idea.

tsjay

Hi! In case you haven't seen my Thelma Jane's web page, here's the link:

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

And be sure and check out my granddog's page:

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/raj.html

Thelma and Ross Allen are my two best buddies in the whole world!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep and your dog today?
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Hello,
    I am hoping to someday get a Wrangler of my own. I'm 37 and have wanted a Wrangler for years. I am currently working a full-time job and going to school at night to hopefully get a better paying job so I can afford to get my dream vehicle... Jeep Wrangler. I really like the looks of the Sahara, but have been told that I can get almost everything I want on a Sport for less money. What's the difference between the two, and what can I do to get the best deal possible? Keep in mind that I may have to wait for a year or two before I would be able to get done with school or get a better paying job before I can go dealing. I let my parents talk me out of one two cars ago, but when I am able, this time I won't let that happen. My niece rolled an old Wrangler years ago and I pointed the fact out to her that my niece was trying to drive that Wrangler like it was a regular car. I told her that anybody that drives irresponsibly for the vehicle they are driving in will roll it, you just have to change your driving style for the vehicle your driving... it's just that simple, be smart.

Oh, something else I wanted to ask is I know that there is an option to get both tops, but if you can only afford one is the soft top o. or is the dual top option that much more than one?

Any advice will be welcome. Thanks

wrangler
    Hey thanks for that explanation of RPM's - I've been a little paranoid about my shifting style, since I'm so new to driving stick and I don't want to do anything to harm my new toy :-)
    I let my dad listen to that rattling sound tonight and he said it's because I'm lugging the engine a little and I can avoid it by revving higher before I shift. So I tried waiting until about 3,400 or so instead of my usual 2,850-3,100 range. It seemed to work, but I didn't do it enough to really tell for sure - sometimes it seemed that was it and sometimes it seemed like I could still hear the rattle. Noises aside, it's good to know I'm not doing any harm by shifting the way I am. And don't worry about me revving up anywhere near that red marker around 5,000 - that'll NEVER happen!!

I agree about 2,500 being a comfortable cruising speed. I'm usually between 2,000 and 2,500 when I'm cruising along in city traffic - usually in third.
    Well, I got the ol' wash and wax for the first time today, and boy it looks good. It was starting to get kinda dusty on the hood, and because I had parked it under a tree a couple times it had these little tiny black dots here and there. It's all gone now - got a hand wash and wax for $35. I knew this was a fair price based on tsjay's washing experience. I went to one of these "car wash of the stars" places so I was a little worried it'd be pricier, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't. I think I'll do this every third wash or so - the other times I'll just wash it on my own and save the cash.

Oh, speaking of keeping up the looks - I ordered a duraflex full Jeep cover from Quadratec a couple days ago - $100, plus $10 for a lock. I was going to go for the weather-lite which is only $59, but the salesman on the phone said it's not waterproof.

Next up when I get some more cash together is to have an alarm installed. Anyone have any suggestions in this regard?
    WOW! I have said before that driving a Jeep is the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on, but topless and doorless is the most fun you'll ever have with or without cothes!

That's the way a Jeep is meant to be configured, right? Thelma is one happy little girl right now!

You guys will be proud of me. As I worked on loosening the first door hinge nut, I saw that I was scraping the paint off, even though I was using a rag. But, I went ahead with the job anyway. Can you guys believe that I did that? I can't. I guess I'll just have to get some touchup paint.

I wish I could leave Thelma the way she is now, but I suppose I'd better put the top and doors back on tomorrow afternoon. I am afraid to go all the way to work (27 miles) without the top on, cause if it started raining, I would be hurting.

Guess I'll order a couple door storage pouches and a full Jeep cover from Quadratec. There goes $200 that I really don't need to be spending right now!

Those doors are HEAVY! I was shocked at how much they weigh. Also, lifting that hard top off was much harder than I thought it would be. It is heavy and hard to get a good grip on. You have to hold it with your arms partially extended, so that makes it seem even heavier. It is definitely not a job that you would want to do every couple days or so.

I took some pics and finished a roll of film. I will send the film off Monday, and by the end of next week, they should be available on the photoworks.com web site. I will download them and update Thelma's web page.

Thelma sure looks better with the doors off when the top is off. Those full doors just don't look good when the top is off.

tsjay

dont woory guy...on the looks of it..
    Tazz will never be here anyway.
    so the name is still safe for now
    dwrangler
    your in the same boat as me...
    right now i am looking at the 60th anniversary edition wrangler..its the sport with all the sahara goodies.. except that God awful interior.
    personally..i'm going with the dual tops...
    soft top for summer
    hard top for winter.
    I wish you luck...keep posting

Look out...tsjay is going topless...

see ya
    saharanut
    terry
    WOW! I have said before that driving a Jeep is the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on, but topless and doorless is the most fun you'll ever have with or without cothes!

That's the way a Jeep is meant to be configured, right? Thelma is one happy little girl right now!

You guys will be proud of me. As I worked on loosening the first door hinge nut, I saw that I was scraping the paint off, even though I was using a rag. But, I went ahead with the job anyway. Can you guys believe that I did that? I can't. I guess I'll just have to get some touchup paint.

I wish I could leave Thelma the way she is now, but I suppose I'd better put the top and doors back on tomorrow afternoon. I am afraid to go all the way to work (27 miles) without the top on, cause if it started raining, I would be hurting.

Guess I'll order a couple door storage poches and a full Jeep cover from Quadratec. There goes $200 that I really don't need to be spending right now!

Those doors are HEAVY! I was shocked at how much they weigh. Also, lifting that hard top off was much harder than I thought it would be. It is heavy and hard to get a good grip on. You have to hold it with your arms partially extended, so that makes it seem even heavier. It is definitely not a job that you would want to do every couple days or so.

I took some pics and finished a roll of film. I will send the film off Monday, and by the end of next week, they should be available on the photoworks.com web site. I will download them and update Thelma's web page.

Thelma sure looks better with the doors off when the top is off. Those full doors just don't look good when the top is off.

tsjay

• tnsnsatnsnsa Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2001 Wrangler Sport on Friday the 13th. I ended up paying $200 over invoice. After the $500 rebate, I'm paying $300 under invoice. I was told it was going to take about 4 weeks. I can't wait! Here is what I ordered:

Silverstone Metallic w/ black soft top & half doors.
    D package
    5-Speed manual transmission
    30 inch Tire/Canyon Wheel Pkg w/ Dana 44 & 3.73 ratio
    Trac-Lok Differential
    Air conditiong
    Floor Mats
    Fog lamps and tow hooks
    AM/FM w/ CD player and subwoofer
    Sentry key
    Bodyside steps
    Metal Add-a-trunk (not the plastic one)
    Tinted windows
    you know I really despise you.... j/k
    just rub it in TS...gald to hear you enjoyed you time with thelma.. how did the pooch do?
    where did you put your doors when you took them off?..did you take the top off by yourself.
    hope you & you family have a happy Easter!
    take care my friend

Snut
  • wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    I just ordered a 2001 Wrangler Sport on Friday the 13th. I ended up paying $200 over invoice. After the $500 rebate, I'm paying $300 under invoice. I was told it was going to take about 4 weeks. I can't wait! Here is what I ordered:

Silverstone Metallic w/ black soft top & half doors.
    D package
    30 inch Canyon Wheel Pkg w/ Dana 44 & 3.73 ratio
    Air conditiong
    Floor Mats
    Fog lamps and tow hooks
    AM/FM w/ CD player and subwoofer
    Sentry key
    Bodyside steps
    Metal Add-a-trunk (not the plastic one)
    Tinted windows
    Saharanut: Oddly enough, I just used PeopleFirst.com about 2 months ago when I purchased a VW Cabrio for my wife. There is no catch and their service is wonderful. I filled out the application, got approved, and had the check overnighted to me all in a total of 2 days. If you change your mind and don't want the loan, just tear up the check and let them know. I'm planning on applying for financing for my new Wrangler. Hope this helps you.

Bill (wdubs)

P.S. Try to talk your wife into trading in your truck for the Sahara.
    Saharanut: Oddly enough, I just used PeopleFirst.com about 2 months ago when I purchased a VW Cabrio for my wife. There is no catch and there service is wonderful. I filled out the application, got approved, and had the check overnighted to me in a total of 2 days. If you change your mind and don't want the loan, just tear up the check and let them know. I'm planning on applying for financing for my new Wrangler. Hope this helps you.
    PeopleFirst is a partner of Edmunds (if that makes you feel any better) and we link to them from FIW. (Finance, Insurance & Warranty)

Here's what the members are saying:Peoplefirst.com...trustworthy

Finally, you can
    Try Our TMV Finance Rate Estimator and see what rate comes up there.

Good luck!

Steve
    Host
    Man, congratulations! That sounds like a GREAT Jeep you ordered!

The silverstone was my VERY close second choice for color, and I SURE WISH I HAD GONE WITH THE SOFT TOP TOO!

That hard top removal and re-installation ain't no fun. I found that out today.

You're gonna love that Jeep! I wish I had ordered exactly what you got, except I think I still slightly prefer white.

CONGRATS!

I'd suggest you try eBay--I'm not sure, but I think there's a way to limit the auction to your geographic area. Maybe find a local club with a newsletter you could put an ad in or perhaps there's a dealer with a bulletin board for used items?

btw, I guess I should delete your post for soliciting, but since you didn't tell people how to reach you, I guess it's ok .

I'm tempted to tell sarahanut to buy it for a picnic table sunshade, since his better half doesn't want him to get the sheetmetal it fits on and this may be as close as he gets to getting his jeep this year :-) (sorry for picking on you sarahanut, maybe one of these days....).

Steve
    Host
    Thanx for reminding my steve...
    what great host you are. Reminding us of our misfortunes in life.. j/k
    rfleck..
    I agree with steve try ebay...you can set it up so you can sell it just in the Dallas area.
    i'm sure it will sell with it still in the boxes.

happy easter
    snut
    Bummer! Top and doors are back on Thelma.

My cousin came over last night, and after riding around in Thelma with the top off, we put the top and doors back on.

It was supposed to rain last night, which it did, and I thought I might as well get Thelma's top and doors put back on while I had some help.

I am still amazed that the top is so hard to handle, even with two people. It is the akward position you have to stand in and the lack of good places to grip the top, I guess, that makes it so difficult to handle. It is not a job that you would want to do very often.

I have a cover ordered, so I guess Thelma will have her top on at least until the cover comes in.

That was SO MUCH FUN, though, when the top and doors were off! You guys that live in climates where you can just leave the top off all the time are LUCKY!

Gotta get some touch up paint. Even using a rag over the nuts, it still scratched the paint off of them when I took the doors off. And, worse, I even scratched the fender right in fron of the door opening! I guess the door didn't come straight up when I lifted it off, and the bottom hinge bolt scratched the paint on the fender as it came up. Those doors are much heavier than I thought they would be! I guess I wasn't prepared for the amount of liftnig force that I was going to have to apply, and that's why I let the bottom hinge bolt get into the fender a little.

I still want the doors off the next time I take the top off. It's just such a wonderful feeling to drive around like that!

Happy Easter everyone!

tsjay

Yeah, sorry again Sarahanut. I'm beginning to know how you feel--everyone in here is having such fun with their Jeeps, I'm kinda missing my old CJ myself. Hang in there!

Steve
    Host
    Messages and user names are not matched up right if you go back through some old messages. I guess that is part of the "hiccup" the other day?

tsjay

• rfleckrfleck Member Posts: 11
    Sorry Steve, deleted the message myself. Didn't realize posting an ad was a no no! Funny, this is the second message I've deleted here. My only other message was posted several weeks ago after purchasing my new Jeep. After wading through some 1400 messages I posted giving all the vital stats on my new Jeep and mentioned (tongue in cheek)that I had named her Martha "Calamity" Jane (maybe Thelma Jane got jealous}. After about a week with not ONE single Howdy or response I deleted my post and moved on.

Bob
    Hi rfleck, no biggie. The members on this message board are way cool, and there are very few ads posted on here (unlike on some of the Toyota boards, for example, that tend to get in the way of the conversation). That's why I didn't kill yours.

The boards are experiencing a lot of bugs the past few days, but the tech-support people are working hard on them. I wouldn't recommend trying to subscribe to this discussion by email either, because I don't think that feature was intended to be rolled in.

Steve
    Host
    rfleck:

Hey, man, I am terribly sorry that you didn't get a proper welcome to this group. I hope by now you realize that this IS a friendly, caring bunch of people in here.

I try to personally greet every new poster, but we had a bunch of new folks show up at about the same time, and I guess you got lost in the shuffle.

You are certainly welcome here! And I once again apologize for the lack of a proper greeting.

I hope you will stick around and be an active participant now. OK?

Let's have a fresh start, OK?

tsjay

HAve you hugged your Jeep today?
    rfleck:

I just checked your profile and saw that you are a Viet Nam vet. I was the prime age for the draft while the Viet Nam war was going on, but I had a college deferment and then a high lottery number for the draft, so I never had to go. I would have served if I had been drafted, though. I would not have dodged.

I want to publicly thank you for your service to this country. You guys served just as nobly as the men that fought in any wars we have ever fought, and I think it is a SHAME the way many people treated you guys upon your return! You deserved a hero's welcome like the men that fought in previous wars, but you guys sure didn't get that, did you?

Anyway, back to Jeeps. How about posting a message in Meet the Members? Please give us some info on yourself and describe that new Jeep in great detail, OK?

Again, sorry about the bad start you had in here.

tsjay

tsjay, you'll eventually break down and buy a Bestop soft top for the warm-weather months, I have no doubt. I did and swapping b/w the two tops is not that bad. Don't curse the hard top, it's way better for the winter climates some of us have to endure part of the year. It just isn't mean to be put on and off frequently.