Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Sorry to hear about your Tundra problem - I have owned 3 Toyotas (but 0 Tundras) - First was perfect 100,000+ miles with no problem - oil changes, tires and 1 battery. Second had minor problems (A/C, tranny slip, brake squeal) all fixed by dealer - Even though it was a pain to keep taking my truck back in to the dealer they treated me fair - even fixed it after warranty expired. So I bought a third Toyota. It was a true lemon. Too many problems to list. You name it it was a problem, after more than 10 trips to the dealer I ask for my $$ back. - No way was that going to happen. After several months of fighting I traded it in on a Chevy Tahoe. I have been buying Chevy's ever since. Better pricing, more HP, larger cabs, Who could ask for anything more!!

My current Chevy - 34 months & 30K - 2 trips to dealer - but nothing major.

OK - to be honest - my Chevys have not been perfect - minor rattles in the dash, a clunk in the drive line every once in a while, a speaker that sounds like crap when I turn the bass up - but I have never been left on the side of the road. That is more than I can say for the last Toyota I owned.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    a link to the article where the Center For Auto Safety names the Tundra one of the top 25 worst vehicles in America. I went to their site and could not find that list that you guys are talking about. I only found this http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects.html It lists the auto defects, but none of the Toyta cars are mentioned.
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Very suprised to hear your experience with truck. You know I've listened to some other people with similar problems and i'm kinna disappointed that Toyota seemingly hasn't addressed the brake issue most importantly. Since 2000 was first year, it was expected for truck to have a few glitches. Im just suprised that 2 years later now that theres still a brake issue with some 2002s.

For me, Toyota over the years earned a spot due to its reliability and quality. An overwhelming majority of people I know are quite happy with theirs. I just hope that after hearing some of the more recent issues about customer dis-satisfaction with dealers and other minor things, that Toyota's long time reputation isn't starting to slowly tarnish. I will say this though, I've been reading posts in other discussions, and the Toyota problems still seem much milder than a good amount of the American trucks.
  • kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    Helloooo!!!, maybe you need to go back and read post 491 again. Never said they were different, I just know most people carry on about chevys. I wouldn't own either one and yes they are both made by GMC I think we all know that! lol. But if GM PRODUCTS make you happy than go for it, you can have my share of them also. Remember this is a Toyota Tundra topic, where people can share info about the Tundra. By the way GM ALSO MAKES SATURN, but again we're here to talk about TUNDRAS nothing else.
    I have a 2002 and I have NO brake issues at all. I am begining to think that most of those who are having brake issues on their 2001-2002 Tundras do not use the parking brake. From what I have read using the parking brake helps reset the front/ rear brake balance on the truck. It is essential to use your parking brake everytime you park your Tundra.

The Tundra is not a prefect truck, but it is as near to perfect as could be. Every time I drive my Tundra I am impressed by its abilities.

Today I towed my SE-R to San Diego. I was doing 75-80 all the way. I was in OD almost all of the time and had the AC on and was passing traffic left and right. It felt as if I was towing nothing. This truck is a beast.

I have close to 4K on the truck and the only thing I have to complain about is a rattle from the passanger side seat belt that is intermittent and a rattle from the passanger side dash board when I hit a BIG bump and I mean big enough to unsettle the suspension.

One more thing I am experiencing is the poor reception on the radio. On occasion the radio skips the channel it is locked to. I do not know if it is the weather or if the antenna is loose.

These are all minor things compared to what most dodge/chevy/ford owners experience.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    "It is essential to use your parking brake everytime you park your Tundra."

"These are all minor things compared to what most dodge/chevy/ford owners experience."

15000 miles on my 2001 Chevy 1500 and NO repairs or warranty issues at all-including shaking and warped brakes. And no, I don't use my parking brake every time I park my truck. Ridiculous to think you can ruin the brakes on a fullsize 30K 1/2 ton pickup by not using the parking brake every time you park it. And I thought the Tundra is hands-down the most well built 1/2 ton on the market??

And no, I don't care that this is a "Tundra only" thread!
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    I know this is a Tundra topic. I also happen to be a very happy owner of a 2000 Toyota Tundra. I was merely commenting on that very small portion of your post where you mention GMC and Chevy-didn't mean anything personal by it either.

I would never never never buy anything made by GM. I think their quality control is poor to horrible at best and would not take the chance with my hard earned money.

Hill-Sure there are people who CLAIM that they own perfectly flawless chevies but there are many many many others who own perfectly f'd up lemons manufactured by GM. These facts are proven time after time by the consumer reporting industry also. Look at the number of posts in the silverado problems topic compared to the number of posts here. Does that tell you something? Read through some of those posts; you'll see people with transmission failures, major engine problems and even dash fires. Read through this thread and you'll find problems like, brake vibrations, windows that rattle and slow seat belt retractors. Tell me, which vehicle would you rather own? Don't bother to answer, you've made your choice we've made ours. Why don't you go help put out the dash fire of some poor chevy owner and spare us your diatribe on all the flawed Tundras you've "heard/read" about.
    No offense, but I think you missed the point. So as far as you're concerned, it's perfectly acceptable to spend about 30 grand on a 1/2 ton pickup that reqires the parking brake to be set each time you park the truck or suffer brake damage??

Frankly, with all of these well-documented brake problems from Tundras, I get a little nervous when I see one closing in behind me at a stop light!
    This pisses me off. First this is a TUNDRA topic. Go post about your great Chevy in the Chevy thread. OK.

Second, the Tundra runs a drum rear unit. It has a star adjuster. I believe you need to use your parking brake to reset the brake bias front/rear.

Third, even with drum brakes the Tundra has shorter stoping distances than the 4 disc brake rado that you have. Just read the numbers from truck trend or even from Edmunds.

Fourth, there has been two recalls on Rado brakes in 99-2000 and none for the Tundra. There has been a TSB only for the Tundra.

Fifth, pound for pound the Tundra has less problems than a Rado. It is documented. Look at all the TSBs and recalls for the rad vs. the Tundra. Do a search and you will find more TSBs/Recalls on the Rado than the Tundra. Read what Edmunds had to say about their long term experience with their Sierra. Pretty pathetic. There is a whole lemon site for Chevy truck owners and there is not one for the Tundra.

Sixth, we have been through this before. Please stay away from our thread and we will stay away from yours.
    this is what one of the posters had to say in the Chevy rado problems thread.

"My last Chevy truck trans lasted 40K easy no-tow miles. Cost $2325 to replace. Chevy dealer was so helpful to point out that if reliability was important to me, I should have bought a Toyota. Dealer was Bayside Chevrolet/Toyota in Prince Frederick, MD. I don't go there anymore, YMMV."

A tranny that only lasts 40K. LMAO. And a dealer that tells their customer to go get a Toyota if they want reliability. ROTFLMAO.

Reminds me of a story. When my GF went to buy a seat recliner latch to replace the broken one on her seat for the Explorer, she complained to the dealer that it broke way too early. The parts rep tells he "what do you expect, it is a Ford."
    Im glad to hear that your truck is running virtually problem free. I've still decided on getting a Tundra and hope to have the same experience as you have, as well as Bama, Cowboy and a few others who are pretty satisfied with truck. Am I worried about whether its gonna pull more than Fords top of line monster ... not in the least. Not too concerned about some of the other numbers either.

The truck is a little different than the rest and thats all I expect out of it. It seems to be a great truck for the uses that most of us use them for. If mine will stay reliable, quiet, and low maintenance, I'll be more than happy. If you've been using parking brake pretty regularly and no brake problems then I'll keep that in mind.

The choice is pretty simple actually. If not the Tundra then what ??? Certainly not gonna get lost in those American trucks, their posts speak for themselves. My roomate has a Silverado and until recently I hadn't had the opportunity to experience why they're termed "Shakerados" . I've never been more nervous in a truck than when im in the rado and the brakes are applied, way too scary. Must say, I like the truck and plenty of room up front, but no thanks, think Toyota will be just fine.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    FYI: If you have the self-adjusting brakes (spring loaded lever on star adjuster) the proper way to adjust them is to get going about 10 mph in reverse, then slam on the brakes. I know it seems harsh, but that is how they were designed. Setting the parking brake does not adjust the brakes at all.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to use your parking brake often, as it keeps the cables lubed, and it is there when you need it. Nothing worse than a 'frozen' brake cable and a locked up set of brakes.
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    Hi all,

I'm a first time poster to this board. Have read both the good and bad stuff on the Tundra. Nothing too scary. I'm gonna possibly buy one tomorrow or this coming monday depending on if the deal is right. But I'm in no hurry. Has anyone gotten one for around invoice, aside from the newpaper ad cars? The best quote I've gotten over the phone is $400 over invoice. The guy somewhat indicated that it was negotiable.

I'm pretty much sold on the Tundra for my next truck. My current workhorse is a Nissan hardbody and while it has served me well and never let me down, I'd like a bit more truck.

For awhile now, I considered the Chevy Silverado, Ford F150, and the Tundra. All of them at one time or another became a leading contender in my mind. All of them, in my opinion have strengths. And they all have weaknesses. But for me, the Tundra has more pluses that minuses.

Anyhoo, I hope I don't have to raise my blood pressure too high haggling for a good enough deal at the car store. I always hate spending the 5-7 hours it take to buy a vehicle. I zaps away the whole day.
    I would not pay more than 1% over invoice. A lot of people are getting their trucks at invoice. I have heard that toyota is running a 2.9% special financing but I do not know the details. I got my truck for for 1% over invoice and then I got a $100 gift certificate to Home Depot. I got 4.9% financing for 60 months back when they were running the 0%.

I know the issues of the Tundra and I will list them:

Cramped rear space
    Bed needs to be an 1-2 inch deeper
    Soft stock shocks, at least for me
    Cold start up clatter
    Warpped rotors on the 2000 and some 2001
    Thin paint
    No gas door latch inside the truck. That one really pisses me off.
    Occasional tranny thunk when you come to an abrupt stop. Lubing the drive shaft that exits the tranny seems to solve the problem.

I honestly cannot think of anything else. Gas mileage will average 15 mpg. I tow with my truck and I drive 75-80 on the frwy and still get 15 mpg. I do not think that is bad considering my driving style.

So far I am very satisfied with the truck.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Well I can think of one. Is the pistons in the Tundra cast or forged?
    Here's the question I asked initially:

"So as far as you're concerned, it's perfectly acceptable to spend about 30 grand on a new 1/2 ton pickup that reqires the parking brake to be set each time you park the truck or suffer brake damage??"

It's a simple yes or no question. Does Toyota put that parking brake info in their owner's literature, or do you have to figure that out on your own?

And since YOU bought up relative braking performance versus GM trucks, here's the Edmunds data:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/43902/page015.html

As you can see, the Tundra stopped in a whopping six feet shorter span. That's the distance of an average man's height compared against the total distance of about half of a football field. Big deal. The Silverado weighs a little more, so that's to be expected. I'll take that and keep my brakes, which won't turn into scrap metal if I forget to set the parking brake!!

• smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    i hope you never hit a pothole or rough area on the road when you are braking because if you do more than likely you will be in for a thrill
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    "FYI: If you have the self-adjusting brakes (spring loaded lever on star adjuster) the proper way to adjust them is to get going about 10 mph in reverse, then slam on the brakes. I know it seems harsh, but that is how they were designed. Setting the parking brake does not adjust the brakes at all."

The rear brakes don't work that way on a Tundra. The Tundra does use rear drum brakes with a toothed wheel adjuster to maintain the shoes in close proximity to the drum; however, backing up does nothing to rotate the toothed wheel on the adjuster like on older Chevies. On the Tundra, appling the parking brake rotates the toothed wheel on the adjuster if needed. It looks similar to the Chevy brakes, but works a little bit differently.

And contrary to a previous post, it is not necessary to use your parking brake every time you park. Using it once a month or so is likely enough to keep the rear shoes properly adjusted since the rear brakes don't wear nearly as fast as the front brakes.

I believe most of the problems with the warping rotors and drums on the Tundra are due to the brake pad materials used. Due to government regulations surrounding health concerns with asbestoes, asbestoes has been removed from brake pads and linings, and brake manufacturers just haven't come up with a suitable replacement material that is on par with asbestoes as far as performance and cost are concerned. If you take a look through Edmunds townhall, you will see many complaints on all different makes of vehicles regarding warped brake rotors. Another contributer to the potential for front brake rotor warping on the Tundra is its use of 4 piston front calipers (the industry standard is 2 piston calipers on the front except for high end sports cars). These calipers can generate a tremendous amount of pressure and along with that comes heat (these 4 piston front calipers are also likely the reason the Tundra stops in a shorter distance than most if not all other pickups). Another thing to consider is the rear brake proportioning valve. If it is not properly set and you have too much front brake bias then this would be putting more stress and strain on the front brakes. The factory service manual has a detailed procedure for checking the brake bias, but I doubt most dealers would go to this trouble. It is just a whole lot easier to change pads and rotors and get you out of the shop hopefully until after your warranty expires. Another thing is that if you artificially raise or lower the rear of the truck, you will affect brake bias because the Tundra uses a load sensing proportioning valve. It measures the distance from the rear axle to the frame and increases rear brake bias as the distance between the two decreases (as would be indicated with increased load in the bed or on the bumper). If you raise the back of the truck with a lift (lift blocks, stiffer springs, helper springs, etc.) and do not adjust the proportioning valve linkage accordingly, you will reduce rear brake bias and shift more braking pressure to the front wheels even though the load on the truck has not changed.

So far, knock on wood, I have 27,500 miles on my 2000 Tundra 4x4 and have no indications of front brake rotor warping (and I still have all of the original brake components installed).

Alan
    I have 30,000 miles on my Tundra and it has been to the dealership exactly once for the brake vibration problem (around 10,000 miles). The problem was more an annoyance than anything though. In no way did the truck ever feel unsafe. Toyota finished the repairs in a couple hours and I haven't had the problem since.

I don't use the parking brake everytime I park. I use it when I park on a hill or in my driveway which is sloped (I only park there to wash the truck and occassionally when I'm not parked in my garage).

"So as far as you're concerned, it's perfectly acceptable to spend about 30 grand on a new 1/2 ton pickup that reqires the parking brake to be set each time you park the truck or suffer brake damage??"

So hill, to answer your question, no, it's not okay but I don't know of any Tundra owners who a) paid $30 grand for their truck and/or b) are required to set the parking brake each time they park or suffer brake damage. Sorry but the facts do not support your statement.

I paid a little over $23k for my 2000 Tundra SR-5. I didn't get leather or 4x4. I have most of the other options though. MSRP was roughly $26,400.

I would never pay MSRP for a vehicle.
    Man, I just read through 20 or so posts on the silverado problems thread and I actually feel sorry for some of those people. What a sorry-assed truck that silverado is.

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He has a fullsize Chevy conversion van and his transmission went out at 40,000 miles. Cost him about $2,000 to have it rebuilt. What a rip off.

How do you defend a company that manufactures junk like that? Why do people defend them? I guess if you only plan on keeping the thing for 2 years or you might be okay. Maybe that's how these people rationalize their purchase.
    I overstated the need to use the parking brake. *I* use it EVERY time I park. Growing up in a monutainous country taught me that. It is safe to use it every time. It puts less stress on your tranny to use the parking brake every time. And it resets your brake bias when you use it on the Tundra.

I use mine everytime I park, where ever I park.

Just use the damned thing. Why do you think it was put in the truck in the first place? If it was not an integral part of any vehicle, it would have been made an option!!!!!
    Here are some facts to ponder:

Fact 1: The Tundra stops in a shorter distance than the Chevy in whatever magazine that did the test.

Fact 2: The Tundra has been number one in intial quality with JD Power and recommended by CR for two years in a row and the Rado has not.

Fact 3: There are more TSBs and recalls year to year for the Rado than the Tundra, a lot more.

Fact 4: In its displacement class the Tundra out accelerates and out handles the Rado in any of the standard tests that mags run.

Fact 5: The Tundra has better resale value than the rado.

Fact 6: The Rado has more cabinet room, bed space, and tows more than the Tundra.

Fact 7: The Tundra is the only 1/2 ton truck that is SOLELY built in the US
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Last I checked some Shakerados are built in Canada. All Ava-lose-my-lunches are built in Mexico. If you ask most Canadians or Mexicans they will say that they do not consider their country part of the US (yet).
    I don't use the parking brake when I'm parked on a level surface-like my garage for example. When I first bought the truck I guess I used to use it more because for the past 10 years I owned a stick shift car and I always used the parking brake. I find myself using it on the truck when I am out but when I pull in the garage I don't set it. It's a habit that I'm falling out of I guess.

You're right though, you should use it because that's what its there for.
    I was here to talk about Tundras, but since you insist on talking about GMs, I'll respond to your "facts to ponder":

1. The Tundra weighs less. It should stop in a shorter distance.
    2. That's true. I never disputed it.
    3. There are a heck of alot more of "my" truck manufactured and sold yearly with a higher variety of options/eqipment. Only stands to reason there are more TSBs issued! Toyota only started offering something other than a open rear-diff this year.
    4. Again; It's a smaller and lighter truck and should handle and accelerate good. On the other hand-every article I've read pans the Tundra's handling while it's loaded due to it's lighter(?) suspension. See the Truck Trend article of Tundra vs. Silverado from last summer.
    5. Maybe short term. Long-term remains to be seen.
    6. Yes, but most folks who tow with their Tundra are happy with it's performance.
    7. Who cares? My goal was to buy the best performing 1/2 ton in it's class and that's why I got a GM 1500. It out-hauls/tows, out-accelerates loaded and empty and has more cab and bed space than any other 1/2 ton on the market at the time. While I do prefer American brand vehicles, I would buy another brand if it's what I really wanted.
    "i hope you never hit a pothole or rough area on the road when you are braking because if you do more than likely you will be in for a thrill'

Actually, I hit potholes regularly-it's hard not to where I live and I assume the thrill you're hinting at is the anti-lock brakes kicking in? LOL! That "twanging" noise was unnerving at first but the brakes on my Silverado never fail me, even after two seasons of driving on icy roads. The truck always tracks straight as an arrow if I stomp the brakes in a low traction situation. Honestly, while the Tundra has the shortest stopping distance, the brakes on these GM 1500s are excellent and they work great under load or empty.

Strangely enough, after I replaced the stock Firestones with a new set of BFGs ATs, I hardly ever have the antilock system kick in. Maybe the stock tires are not highly compatable with the ABS??
    I don't know if you've already checked or not, but I know a few people who went to carsdirect.com and got their trucks for exactly invoice. They also said that cars directs invoice was lower than the invoices that dealers were using. I could do without the 10 hour charade of insulting each other at the sales desk otherwise known as buying a car, good luck.
    1. I do NOT care why the Tundra stops in a shorter distance, the FACT that it does is enough for me. That FACT you cannot and will not be able to dispute.

2. I love that excuse. There are more Rados on the road, therefore you should expect more recalls and TSBs. What a cope out!!! Is that all you can muster. Maybe there also should be more recalls TSBs on the Camry since there are more of them out there than the Malibu??? What kind of logic is that??? The sad thing is that the 1999 Rado was a redesign while the Tundra was totally new and the Tundra still had less TSBs/recalls than the Rado. Very sad indeed.

3. I already admitted that the stock shocks suck. Put HD Bilestins on and the Tundra will run circles around the Rado loaded or unloaded.

4. Short term, long term, mid term and between terms, The Tundra has better resale value than the Rado. End of story. Stop making excuses. Look up Auto Trader and find how the tundra holds its value better than the Rado.

5. I agree, I am very happy with the way my tundra tows. I tow 4000 lbs and I drive 75-80 mph when I tow. I have the AC on and I am in OD on the flats. I also use cruise control.

6. There are many yahoos out there who think that by buying a Rado they are being patriotic. What a crock?
    Well i'm glad to hear that theres still a good amount of guys out there not experiencing huge brake problems with truck. Eases my mind a little I suppose. I think using the parking brake couple times a month might just be a decent idea.

I think Alan brings up some good points, and helps realize that many trucks are going thru similar brake problems. Not to mention that we're not exactly talking about stopping Yugos or Tercels here. I think in time we'll find better materials to construct brake components from, and make the systems more efficient in general. Sure come a long ways from the old days though.
    While I do not have data to back it up, I would say that those that are experiencing brake problems on their 2000 Tundra are a very small minority.
    I forgot to put my emergency brake on today. Oh, no! - I forgot to put it on this month!

Come to think of it - I can count on one hand the number of times I have used my emergency brake in the past two years.

My brakes still amaze me. I realize that I am driving a 4500lb vehicle and I still can't believe how well the brakes work.

I have not had my Tundra in the shop once. I will have to eventually get my seat belt retractor looked at - it is getting slow at retracting my belt.

I have the ABS option. Tundras have a superior 4channel ABS. Chev cheaped out with two channels on their ABS and they must have got their disks off of a Chevette.

I have heard that with ABS equipped Tundras there is no proportioning valve.
    Glad to hear the brakes are still ok EVEN without using parking brake much. One would hope the brakes as well as rest of truck would be fine without having to perform daily rituals on it. Just make sure you dont get too froggy with it and end up out there workin a forein one in dem dere fields.
    When you say so readily that "There are many yahoos out there who think that by buying a Rado they are being patriotic. What a crock?"

Remember this; There are just as many blubbering morons out there (and a few on this forum) who stupidly label all domestic trucks as junk. If you think buying a domestically manufactured Toyota or any other brand truck gives you the upper hand in patriotism (and it sounds like you do since you bragged about it up in post 535) you need to go learn what the word "patriotism" means. Why'd you even bring this issue up Ndahi?? And remember if you resond to this, you made it an issue, not me.

And slow down. It's not real safe to go 80mph with a 4000 lb trailer on any 1/2 ton pickup even if yours does stop a whole six feet shorter and is worth an extra $700 on the used car lot. LOL!!
    "label all domestic trucks as junk"

I for one did not label all domestic trucks as junk, just the GM brands. It's just a plain and simple fact I'm stating.

2000 Tundra trade-in value: $14,842 retail: $18,015

2000 rado trade-in: $13,642 retail: $16,312

This is for similarly equiped vehicles. So, that's a $1,200 difference trade-in and a $1,700 difference on retail value. The difference will increase with age also.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    You forgot to add Ford to your "junkbox", my '97
    F-150 needed a new engine at 38,000! Not to mention new doors, new steering box, new roof rails new...you name it! My 15% smaller Tundra has been flawless and I've never looked back...except maybe to see the 'rado in my mirror!
    So using your example the Chevy has held 83.6% of MSRP - Tundra 82.3%. I think this gives the resale advantage to Chevy not Toyota.
    I don't know where you get your numbers from. I just looked up the MSRP on a similarly equipped Tundra and rado. Tundra: $25,050 rado: $25,731. That works out to 72% of MSRP for the Tundra and 63% for the chev.

Factor in all the trips to the dealership and the out of warranty repairs if you keep the rado for more than 2 years and there is no contest.

I think I see what you were getting at though. The retail figure I quoted above is not the original MSRP. This is the price a dealership would try to sell the used vehicle for. It has nothing to do with MSRP. When you trade a vehicle in you negotiate a fair price based on condition of the vehicle and you try to get as close to the retail price as you can. As you can see, there isn't as much room to go up on the chev as there is on the Tundra.
    When you say "I for one did not label all domestic trucks as junk, just the GM brands. It's just a plain and simple fact I'm stating."

Do you really believe that? You've always been one of the more well-spoken and rational Tundra guys around here and I'm suprised to hear that from you.

A guy I worked with had a nightmare quality experience with a 5-speed Tacoma a few years ago. Toyota could'nt fix it and he traded it for another brand, but I don't think that means all Tacomas are junk.

Does the Tundra's warping brakes, cold-start clatter and thin sheet metal and cheap paint classify it as "junk"? Ndahi already said his could not haul well without new shocks, and the last Motor Trend article rated the Tundra's V8 engine the poorest for hauling/towing in the four-member 1/2 ton class comparison in that issue. How about this poor guy:jimedwards Feb 15, 2002 4:14pm. Edmunds and Truck Trend's tests both show GM's 5.3L 1500s outaccelerate the Tundra empty and loaded!

Dang f1...you sure do have to overlook alot of stuff with the Tundra to call any other truck junk and keep a straight face!!

I don't think Tundras are "junk" at all. They have strong and weak points just like any other truck. The reason I get a kick out of posting this stuff is that *SOME* of you guys think the Tundra is 100% bulletproof compared to other makes.

And hey...with that trade in value data: Maybe you're right, I don't know. Personally, I don't see how anyone is going to prove it one way or another and here's why. There are so many factors involved it's virtually impossible to consider them all. Vehicle condition, the owner's negotiating skills, options, geographical location (eg..4wds are worth more in certain areas), what the used truck is being traded in on, even color! I'm guessing you can support the argument either way depending where you source the numbers from.

This should be good F1. You're one of the few guys on here who will agrue points intelligently without name-calling and personal slurs, so I'm always pleased when you weigh in. Let's hear it...
    I misread your post -
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    And everyone thinks my "Knockarado" is a bad truck. Man this lady was going anbot 30MPH and hit the brakes to late. T-Boned a Honda Civic. Tundra faired up good for the type of collision. But I guess this can happen no matter what you drive. BTW Up here I am seeing alot of Tundra owners wanting to put plows on. They can't do it on the Tundra. They seem to get peed off and go buy a ford or 2500. If Toyota wants to stay in the game of full-size P-ups then a plow prep package is a must. Also, what is the difference in size between the T-100 and the Tundra?? Seems like if they put the V8I in the T-100 it would have made a great truck!
    You're still here?

Thin sheet metal? Hmm - the Tundra weighs within 200lb of the Shakerado. They must be stretching the steel mighty thin in that Chev of yours.

Truck Trend rated the Tundra best for towing when compared with your Shakerado.

Trailer Life hooked up 6500lb to the Tundra and towed it through the Sierra Nevadas in mid summer and proclaimed that it was very capable.

Automobile magazine 36000 mi. long-term test with a Tundra. Not one repair!

Motor Trend long term test on the Tundra - not one repair!

For comparison sake read Edmunds long term GM test - the WORST vehicle they EVER tested! It literally fell apart.

Car and Driver did a long term test on a Shakerado and had both power windows fail, power seat fail, leaking differential, intermediate steering shaft etc. Just to name a few. They said the brakes reminded them of a '78 Impala.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    don't care why tundra stops quicker?The fact that it does is enough for you?Why didn't you buy a Celica?It stops 25 feet shorter than your tundra !
    Just toying with you buddy,but seriously,SLOW DOWN when you're towing ! With 4000 lb on your bumper your stopping distance DOUBLES !
    BAMA your weight figures are still off ,just like last nite and this morning.
    kip
    I see you're still regurgitating the same rubbish every time you see my name! Some things never change! I can bash your Toyota with the same rehashed magazine articles you're quoting, but we've seen it all before.

Since your Tundra is perfect, why don't you see if you can offer some words of comfort to this poor guy:
    jimedwards Feb 15, 2002 4:14pm
    800 lbs??
    You know, you're right, I guess I just get a little defensive now and then with all the BS flying around in these threads. I shouldn't make blanket statements like that.

However, from reading some of the horror stories from the Silverado owners threads and all the experiences of friends and family who have owned GM along with my experience with GM cars and trucks in my 8 years in the car rental business I have a very very very strong bias against GM. Hey that's my experience and I would say that it's quite a bit more than most and enough for me to make some qualified statements about GM quality. I don't really see any evidence that anything has changed at GM in recent years either. I have equally if not stronger feelings about Hyundai cars and nothing in recent history will change my opinion of the crap that they spew out either.

I don't think the Tundra is bulletproof but I do think it is best 1/2 ton truck in its class.
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    I'm a proud new owner of a Tundra SR5 Access cab 2WD. I didn't actually think it would happen today but the deal was pretty good and I liked the truck. I got it for about $500 over invoice, but got a toyota bedliner and free oil changes for life thrown into the deal and a LOJACK for dealer cost at $325. I'm sure I could have ground out another $100 or so of accessories or service plans but I'm pretty happy with the deal. The session only took about 3 hours from the time of arrival to driving my new baby out the door cause I was dealing direct with the fleet manager not some two bit salesman who can't make a decision. I got hooked up with the dealer through Autobytel.

Thanks for the tip, losangelesemt. If I would have known about or checked carsdirect.com, I would have solicited a quote from them. Nonetheless, I'm pretty satisfied.
    Yes I too get defensive at times for the same reasons as you, especially when some folks (not you) insinuate that owning a GM truck classifies you as a second-rate person!

We've owned 3 Chevy trucks in the past ten years, and they have all been quality vehicles. Had a minor wiper problem with the first S10 Blazer but no nightmare stories The Silverado has been perfect so far, and overall it's the best 1/2 ton for the money in my opinion. Catch you later.
    I'm a Toyota fan, but i agree with your thoughts. Certainly the truck isn't invincible. I think some people get too caught up in all the little numbers sometimes. One truck stopped 6 inches shorter than other ... one tows 3 more pounds over another and so on. I'm lookin for a truck thats gonna run for a while and run fairly well. Tundras gonna be just fine for me, but im not out workin dem fields or anything else so might not be best truck for everyone. And hey, i had an old 85 chev blazer that we drove into ground lol. Had over 120,000 miles on it and was a pretty good little truck i must say, not many probs at all. Went to trade it in, pulled into dealer and I could hear all the lifters rattling. Oil cap popped off and white foam everywhere. Head blew right there during trade in, but it was a trooper man lol.

AK - I agree that Toyota could definitely work on adding plow option, it could only be a plus i think. I'm not sure if the guys at Toyota thought over all the possible options for this truck and compared with contenders and decided the ones they currently offer are the best for this truck and said screw it to the rest of possible options, or they just never thought to offer them in the first place.

Bama - Got a good chuckle from your post ... any newer truck with brakes that are compared to a 78 Impala, just might be in trouble lol. I've recently experienced the Shakerado and more importantly its brakes. It beats walkin, but the bicycle comes to mind some days.
    Yeah I was going too fast with the trailer. I need to slow down when towing. But the damned thing is so stable and easy to tow with speed just creeps on you. I also have electric brakes on the trailer hooked to a Prodigy brake controller. This thing has a manual function to engage the trailer brakes when I want. I do use it when I am slowing down on the fly. The electric brakes and the controller make it so much easier to tow and takes a hell of a load off the Tundra brakes. I highly recommend that controller.
    Hey glad to hear ya got through that whole process of hagglin over a few dollars, never fun. Best of luck with the truck, looking to get mine pretty soon as well. Theres a lot of guys in here who are pretty happy with truck and im hopin you have same results. Seem like ya got a pretty fair deal if ya ask me.
    Cograts on the truck. Seems like you had a good deal. Tell us all the options that you got. I love hearing about new Tundras. The new truck smell will last in your truck for about 4K miles. mine is lamost gone :-( I really liked that smell.
This discussion has been closed.