Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hatchback participants, introduce yourself here!

rukawarukawa Member Posts: 25
Hello everybody! Here I am...introducing myself (feeling dumb). I am a 17-yrs-old Highschool kid.
I've got a crush on cars for the last few month. I've always wanted a small car with good gas mileage..then..I found Honda Civic Hatchback... I was attracted to it since them. There is no other car can pull me away from 1998 Honda Civic Hatchback now..(well.. maybe 1999 Hatchback). I became a hatchback wannabe since then....

Comments

• mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Welcome rukawa! I think you'll find this to be a helpful place as you make your car buying decision. No need to feel dumb, you're already one of our best participants! Thanks for telling us a bit more about yourself.

carlady/host
  • rukawarukawa Member Posts: 25
    hehehehe...I've been here for a about 2 week now..
    I just found out..the car I am driving is a hatchback too hehehe I am a hatchback driver~~~ Woohoo!! It's a Toyota Tercel..my aunt's..too bad I don't like this car ..I like Honda Civic Hatchback more..and I'll get it as soon as I get a job! Wait for me good news~~~
  • janet3janet3 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a Camry Solara and need to hear from someone who has one. Can they compare it to the Acura Integra?
    Welcome to the Hatchbacks conference, janet3! You won't find the answer to your question in this topic but try our Acura Integra topic. And please, tell us a bit about yourself here so we can get to know you better.

carlady/host
    or, umm, start your own discussion about the two cars. ;-)

carlady/host
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    My first car was a 1983 Plymouth Turismo. My father, who ran his own auto shop then, gave it to me for my 16th birthday, provided I a) worked at the shop after school/weekends b) performed maintenance myself (which included replacing the camshaft and valve cover gasket) and didn't run it into a tree. As a further surprise gift, he repainted it that late-80s Geo green-you know, one -third of all Geo Storms still on the road are that color. It came out much darker than the color chip-something in the formula mix at the supply store, but it looked incredible, and was nearly impossible to lose in the school parking lot.

After it got to the point that keeping it running was more hassle and expense than getting something different, I segued into my stepmother's Mazda, and my father (a high school teacher by now) sold it to one of his students. The jerk totalled it within a year, if not six months.

That car was cool-I used to take it to the drive in, pop the hatch and fold down the back seat, and prestochango, I had seating for like 12.

Or 2, providing it was the right movie ;->

I invite all you others out there in netland to chime in with your hatchback stories. With luck, we'll raise Kleenex sales to a new alltime high.
    Welcome, this is definitely the place for you! I know we'll be drawing on your expertise and experience.

My only sad hatchback story was the tears I shed saying goodbye to my old VW Golf. She was a good buddy. Of course, I was at the dealership to pick up her baby sister, my new VW Golf, so it isn't really even a one hankie tale.

Lurkers, do pop in and say hello!

carlady/host
  • zacharylauriezacharylaurie Member Posts: 51
    Hi everybody,

I just posted a response in the "I LOVE FESTIVAS" topic about my old Festiva. The insurance company totaled it. Oh well, I just have to keep telling myself that "it isn't mine anymore. I sold it already." It's still hard though. That was my first car, and I'll always remember it.
    Thanks for checking in, zacharylaurie. I always appreciate your comments.

carlady/host
  • joelejoele Member Posts: 6
    Help!
    I have a 88 Celica with 366,000 miles. I drove it cross country many times. The body is straight, no accidents, but a friend recommend that I get rid of it instead of dropping a new engine. It runs a little rough but still runs and gets me around. What should I do?
    Mr. Jjoe-there should be a topic just for Celicas, but if there isn't start one. If I were you, I'd take the Celly to a good-rep authorized dealer and get there est. on fixing whatever's wrong with the engine, then take it to a second place to see if the 2 est. jibe. Then sit down and think long and hard about whether putting this work into the car will be worth it--are you going to drive it/will it be drivable for another 100K? If you honestly think you'll be keeping the car until sometime after Y2K kills all the world's PCs and plunges us into some New Dark Age, then go ahead. If there's any chance you'll be looking for a new(er) vehicle by then, get what you can for the Celly now. You sound like a tried-n-true Toyota junkie, so look maybe at a Supra-they really are excellent cars, and one from 92-96 in good condition won't be back-breakingly expensive. (the Supe is I believe going on hiatus, so anything newer that 96 is likely to be really expensive because of rarity concerns, and there just won't be any more new ones.)

A Supe is about the only car around that'd be similar to what you seem to like in cars (unless you go American). You could look for like a 300Z, but you'd pay a whole lot, or maybe a 240SX, but the general opinion about them isn't as glowing as were opinions for Supes, 240s, Preludes, etc etc.

Good luck in your car conundrum.

DjB
    Thank you for your help, Bruticus, and a big welcome to Jjoe. Thanks for joining us.

Please do start a new topic on the Toyota Celica -- I think it's the best way to get your questions answered and provide information to our other users. Just click on the "Create Topic" button on the top left of the Topic List. If you need help, please leave a note for me here.

And again, welcome.

carlady/host
  • joelejoele Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, carlady and bruticus for the big welcome. I started a "Toyota Celica" topic and I hope to hear more from you guys again!
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    I own a 1986 Chev Nova hatchback which is a Corolla underneath. There is 85k on it and have had no major problems. My only comment is that the older it gets the higher octane I have to put in it because of the engine pinging. I love all the stuff I can cram into it and don't want to sell it!
    Welcome, gess! I'm glad you found us and I look forward to reading your comments about Hatchbacks. Feel free to start new discussions and add to the ones we've already begun. If you have any questions, ask me here or in email to me at mznorma@ibm.net.

carlady/host
  • meclarkemeclarke Member Posts: 1
    Hi! It's my second day here and I like it very much. I'm a 30something first-time mom (1 daughter, 9 months) who's always wanted a hatchback. I currently drive an '87 VW Jetta and plan to switch to the Golf this year. The only thing that bothers me about the Jetta is that I can't always carry everything I'd like to in it and it's hard to carry my good (though large) stroller in it. Can anyone tell me how much cargo space the Golf actually has when you fold down the seats?
    Welcome meclarke! We're glad you found us.

As a two-time VW Golf owner, I think you're on the right track. Why not check our Volkswagon Golf IV topic? I think you'll get a good response there.

carlady/host
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    Hi boys & girls, and carlady :)

I've been yakking away for a couple of days now and just now saw that I'm suppose to introduce myself. Sorry.

I drive a 1989 GTI 16V, hope to buy a 2000 Golf VR5, drool after the Audi A4 2.8, will kill for an Audi S4 Quattro BiTurbo, and Shhh... just between you and me, haul 2x4s back from Home Depot with my 1996 Toyota Tacoma (rest assured the Tacoma's windows are dark tinted and all emblems and lettering are taken off).

I turn the wrenches on all my cars, motorcycles, bicycles, lawnmowers and weedwackers. With mixed results, usually. BTW, does anyone know why the tranny would make a clunking noise after a clutch change? I'm asking this for a friend of mine who also has an 89 GTI 16V...of course.

I am a mechanical/software engineer by trade. If you think that's a weird combination, my wife wishes to add that my career choice has made me hard-headed and soft in the wrong places.

I subscribe to the Tim Allen school of Thought that men are good for two things around the house: vehicle maintenance and lawn care. Everything else is my wife's job.

I have several scars on my left buttock from the last rec.autos.vw VW.vs.Honda flamewar. Will post pictures if there's enough interest.

Cheers,

Volfy
    Thanks for introducing yourself, volfy. Mechanical engineers are always welcome; just ask my husband and fellow host, bnormann. You're not a Tau Beta Pi by any chance?

As for your souvenir photos, please hold those for now. :-)

carlady/host
    carlady,

'Afraid not. Back in college, I was too busy hanging out with the Autocross crowd and listening to Car Talk. I did belong to the SAE student chapter for a while, but they kick me out after a while because I wanted to carbon fibre everything, including the suspension components.
    I think you're just the right person for this conference. Welcome!

carlady/host
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Carbon fiber stickers on the suspension??
    Definitely sounds like a "Fashion-Don't" {%^D

Bruce.
    May be. But we used to guarantee 2 tenths of a second at the local SCCA for each one of our club stickers applied ;^)
  • zacharylauriezacharylaurie Member Posts: 51
    I used to be the proud owner of a fine hatchback called a Ford Festiva. This week, I'm planning on buying a newer car. Unfortunately, it probably won't be a hatchback. I'm planning on getting a '93 Mercury Sable GS sedan. Maybe someday I'll get a hatchback again (they sure do have advantages over a closed trunk.)
    Well, we understand. :-(

Enjoy your Mercury Sable and the Sedans Conference!

carlady/host
  • radoutlawradoutlaw Member Posts: 3
    hi all,
    here's a good short article on the virtues of hatchbacks from the miningco and why they are more popular in europe than in the U.S.

http://automobiles.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa042799.htm?COB=home&PRM=H4T
    Yes, it's a must read!

carlady/host
  • jwong11jwong11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Currently, I own a 1990 Toyota Tercel with only 70,000 miles. Had been thinking about getting a new car lately. I would love to have a Miata or a Z3 Roadster, but it's such an impractical car. The only thing that is holding me back is the lack of trunk space. I love the trunk space of my Tercel. I have hauled beds, furniture, exercise machine, computer, etc... and moved apartment several times with my Tercel. I don't mind getting another hatchback, but what choice do I have nowadays, seems like it's either a Civic or VW GTI. Sad to say, US hatchback market is dying.
    Welcome jwong11! If the hatchback market is dying I don't think it is a shortage of drivers who want hatches. To me the demand is here, the supply of fun, fast, economical, etc. hatchbacks is severely limited, particularly when compared to the range of choices offered in Europe.

Thanks for introducing yourself!

carlady/host
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Interesting article, but he missed one of the newest, hottest selling H.B. in the U.S.

Can you spell C-O-U-G-A-R?

Fills in all of the space and practicality requirements and has performance and styling to boot. And the price is even reasonable!!!

Skip G. (A new Cougar owner who spends most of his Edmunds time over in the C.S.G. in the sports, etc..area)
  • derrickwongderrickwong Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

I've recently found the townhall and I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I too am a HB driver. I have a 98 Civic DX with 21K km on it. I wish HB were more popular, so there'd be more models to choose from.
    Welcome, derrickwong! I'm glad you found us. I think hatchbacks would be more popular if there were more of them from which to choose. But that's always the chicken & the egg. Ford and Mercedes Benz are planning to bring out hatchbacks so perhaps the field is broadening after all.

carlady/host
  • mcvequemcveque Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT USED CARS AND I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE MITSUBISHI ECIPSE 94'-97'. WHAT WORRIES ME ABOUT THE ECLIPSE IS THE COST OF REPAIRS. DOES ANYBODY OWN ONE AND COULD THEY SHED SOME LIGHT?
    Welcome mcveque! That's a great question for our Coupes, Convertibles, and Sports Car Conference. Why not use our Search below to find a conversation already in progress?

Just a quick tip. Reading ALL CAPS is a bit difficult and is taking as SHOUTING by some on the net. Using regular upper and lower case is easier for all of us.

carlady/host
  • babygrnd5babygrnd5 Member Posts: 1
    I NEED to get ahold of someone about a car in my area...i found the car I'm looking for an 89 CRX Si but all that was listed was this website...I need to get in touch with the owner(s). If there is a way you could help I would appreciate it.
    Welcome babygrnd5! This topic is for introductions and you're invited to tell us a bit about yourself. For specific questions about cars or models, use Return to Topic List (above, to the right) for a list of topics in this conference. You can also use our search feature below to find a conversation already in progress.

carlady/host
  • goddesspeorthgoddesspeorth Member Posts: 3
    um.. hello.. I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself as I have been instructed (I believe) to do so...

HI check out my profile, i put a lot of time and energy into it...

Nice to meet you! ok, bye bye
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    It seemed like an interesting idea, so I decided to move it back to this board to see how it does.... Anyone game? ;-)

Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    Yes, I'm game to try.

My name is Nomi and I am anxiously awaiting the pricing announcement for the Protege5 (in Canada) Sport Wagon (in the U.S), since I think that the hatchback makes lots of sense. I am a cyclist, and I would prefer to be able to just put the bike in the back instead of worrying about a trailer hitch rack (which is what I have had on my last 2 cars) or a roof rack.

My first car was a 1981 Toyota Tercel hatchback, which actually wasn't terribly convenient since it was before manufacturers lowered the sill on trunks and hatches, and you had to lift stuff pretty high to get it into the back. I remember doing a real job on the paint trying to get the bike in. Things seem to have changed, and trunk sills are much lower.

My next car was a Camry. I have a REALLY narrow driveway, and within the first few months I killed 2 driver side mirrors backing out. But I still kept the car for 7 years.

I replaced that with my current car, a 1994 Sentra GXE. I have had it for 7 years, and am ready for something different. I started thinking about replacing it about 1 1/2 years ago (expecting to buy a new car in the Spring of 2000) but other priorities got in the way, and I didn't. I'm glad I waited. The Protege5 seems to have everything I want. I saw it (at least at a distance) at the Canadian International Auto Show here in Toronto, and I really like the looks of it. I have taken the ES for a test drive, and since the interior and mechanicals are just about the same I think that I have a good sense of how the hatchback will drive. In the meantime, I am searching for any and all information I can find on the car, and waiting for the pricing to be announced.

None of the other hatchbacks appeal to me. The Focus looks bizarre, and mechanically they have had way too many problems for my taste. The Golf is really just a Jetta with the trunk cut off, it seems that it has less luggage space than the Jetta. And I do need 4 doors (or 5 if you count the hatch)!

Anyway, my more than 2 cents worth.

Nomi
    I've also seen your informative posts in our Mazda 5 door Sport discussion. Hopefully we'll be getting some more news in there soon.... I'm kinda curious to see what the interior of this vehicle will look like.

You mention: "I am a cyclist"

I think that is so interesting! My whole family (brothers/sisters) have always been into bike riding. Recently I got back into it... and bought myself a used bicycle. I have to say it's really nice to be able to just roll my bike into my vehicle (Van).

So I do understand where you're coming from in wanting a vehicle like the 5 door Mazda sport. Btw, in case you weren't aware, here's our Upcoming Hatchbacks discussion. Perhaps you'll see something there... that's also worth waiting for. Talk later. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • sloankrsloankr Member Posts: 8
    I've got a strange combination of needs. I like small cars...and I play the tuba.

My automotive history: 1954 Hudson (the last of the big ones); 1964 Plymouth Valiant; 1971 Datsun 240Z (perfect!); 1979 Saab 99; 1990 Protege. While I was driving the Saab and Protege, my wife has had a 1987 Taurus wagon and a 1997 Sable wagon.

The Protege has done everything I've asked it to do, but it's been a compromise (4 seats needed for soccer/lacrosse Dad duty).

The 1971 240Z would be perfect, if it were updated and at a reasonable cost (in 1971, the cost was very reasonable).

I suspect that the new (2003) Z will not have enough luggage space, and may lack a big enough "hole" to fit a reasonable sized tuba. The 1971 240Z would have had no problem here.

So...leading candidates are the new Mazda Protege 5 (perhaps not enough oomph), VW GTI or new Jetta Wagon (the GTI if my tuba case fits behind the rear seat backs - perhaps the Jetta Wagon if it doesn't...or perhaps the New Beetle (with the rear seats *permanently* folded away.

Maybe an Integra GSR (must see the new design).

Suggestions?
    I have to say you have a very interesting automotive history... a 1954 Hudson! Pretty impressive.

As for helping you with suggestions, perhaps you'd care to share what your budget is? A couple quick ideas: I've read some good thing about the Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3. You may want to visit the ZX3 discussion here. Edmunds.com also has a ZX3 in their long term road tests that you can read up on.

Also, Mercedes is soon going to release their new 2002 C230 hatchback, which is suppose to be priced in the mid 20's. Might be something to consider.

In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to check out the discussions in the Additional Resources box on the left hand column of this page. Also, since you mention the Integra and Mazda 5 door, here are direct links to our Acura Integra GS-R & Type R and Mazda 5 door Sport discussions. Those are also good options.

Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your question. Good luck with your decision. And please keep us posted. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host

• sloankrsloankr Member Posts: 8
    OK - let's see...large enough for the new Z (but I think the new Z will not be "tuba friendly"). Nissan seems to have forgotten that the 240Z was not really a "sports car" - it was a personal GT vehicle. It had a massive amount of space for 2 people...and then they ruined it by going 2+2...and then they started chasing Porsche up the food chain.

ZX3? Interesting car, but so far too "economy" oriented and not quite enough "performance" to balance the spartan accomodations.

Audi TT and BMW Z3 are probably off the top of my budget - even if my tuba *would* fit (which I doubt).

In wagons, I suspect even the BMW 3-series sportwagon is a dollar too far.

Yes, the Mercedes will get a look, when it arrives (if that's not too late). And, interestingly enough, so will the Mini Cooper (but only if I can permanently remove the rear seats, I think)

Now, about the Civic Type R...

Right now the leading candidates seem to be next year's VW GTI (loaded to the gills) or next year's Integra GS-R (leaving with me with enough in the budget to buy a new tuba!). I'd really love a frank 2-seater (with the requisite luggage requirements - basically a VERY LARGE opening and reasonably large volume) - but I don't think such exists. Again (I keep coming back to this, don't I) think 240Z.
    You said: "Yes, the Mercedes will get a look, when it arrives"

From what I've seen the interior space looks quite spacious. And from what I hear, better put your order in now. I'll also be looking at this one myself.

Btw, here's a direct link to our Mercedes Benz C230 (2002) discussion. Keep a look out for some new pics there. Drew, our Mercedes chat host, will be soon be posting some interesting shots that he took at the recent auto show.

Talk later. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons message Boards

• cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Hi everyone. I'm a h/b driver who's been posting in some other topics and I finally found this one.

I've been drving my 1993 Geo Metro trouble-free for seven years and loving it. Only 46,000 miles on the old gal, but that's because I live near NYC and don't drive too much.

I just got married and switched jobs. My wife and I are looking for a new car soon, especially since I drive to work now. I don't want to put the Metro to pasture just yet, but we have our eyes on the Hyundai Elantra GT.

Well, keep the good h/b tales coming. With all the new "crossover" vehicles being introduced, we hatchback drivers can say we were driving "cool" cars way before everyone else!
    Thanks for sharing your story. You're right, there are a lots of new hatchbacks/cross over vehicles coming the market. You and your wife will have plenty of great choices in the very near future! You say: "...but we have our eyes on the Hyundai Elantra GT."

In addition to our Hyundai Elantra 5-door discussion, you may also find some helpful information in the discussions linked to the Additional Resources on the left side of the page. Keep us posted.

Happy Shopping!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Board

To keep track of what I've said on Edmunds, I do a board search for my own handle. Imagine seeing this topic come up as active. Wow! I wrote that stuff almost 3 years ago!

Well, I'm in a '96 Neon ACR now, but am going (mark my words, it's a personal pact!) to get a WRX this summer. WOOHOO!

DjB
    Also, to all the new comers and old timers-

Feel free to participate in this discussion. Especially the regular participants... feel free to respond to any of the new participant posts if you'd like.... Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • cgsangelcgsangel Member Posts: 79
    Hi,

I'm Charlie and I've been posting over at the Focus ZX3 board since March of 2000. I bought my ZX3 in February 2000, and I guess I am one of the happy owners with 18,000 miles and only scheduled maintenance to date.

My previous cars were mostly station wagons and vans, with a few coupes and one other hatchback too. One thing I'm happy to see is that Ford is introducing a five door, although for me I like my 3 door fine.

It's also a very roomy car... anyone who has owned one for awhile and is six feet tall or more will appreciate the head and leg room. I've taken it on 5 trips of more than a thousand miles each and it performed flawlessly. The automatic overdrive gets me 31mpg at highway speeds. The 130hp engine is not set up to win races but it will easily keep up at highway speeds. The handling is amazing for a car under $15,000.

I'm not quite ready to be looking for another car at the moment because mine is what I wanted. I had considered a Protege also, but without the hatch, it wasn't considered for long. I'm glad to see that Mazda has introduced their 5 door. I also looked at the Subaru Impreza and I like the package that they have out now.

I'm glad to see that there are more hatchbacks coming so we have a choice. I would like to see a few more hatchbacks of Saab proportions, but less costly. Some of the new station wagons, like the Volvos, BMWs, and Audis are great, but the prices are prohibitive for many people in the market for a convenient but affordable car.

I remember years ago when I owned a 64 Opel Kadett Station Wagon, which was really a hatchback considering its size (and very basic.. 46 hp!!) There wasn't much competition back then except for VW, and I guess it came over too early, while the big cars still were popular and gas was cheap.

Charlie
    "...I am one of the happy owners with 18,000 miles and only scheduled maintenance to date."

Glad to hear you're enjoying your 2000 Ford ZX3. Guess you must know that Edmunds.com's has a ZX3 in their long term road tests. I've been reading lots of good stuff about it there!

"I'm glad to see that there are more hatchbacks coming so we have a choice."

Yes, so am I. With all the new hatchbacks hitting the market now, the participation on this board has increased considerably over the last few months. It's nice to see all the new faces!

Thanks for your participation here. See ya around the Hatchbacks Message Board. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host