Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hatchback participants, introduce yourself here!

Comments

• babe1956babe1956 Member Posts: 4
    I was searching for something different, sporty looking, inexpensive with a darn good warranty and there I found the Kia 2001 Spectra GSX Hatchback. Actually, you wouldn't know that its a hatchback unless you lift up the trunk. O.K., so I've only had it a week but so far for the money, I have a really good bargain. The GSX model comes with the pin striping, spoiler, leather covered steering wheel and shifter as well as the mag wheels, power windows and automatic locks. I opted for black. Although its harder to keep clean, it looks really great. I took it home, gave it a good and proper waxing and scotchguarded the seats. Just to add something a little extra, I had them put in the CD player. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. If anyone has the Kia Spectra GSX and has any info on, I would love to hear from you.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    And congratulations on your new Kia Spectra! This is perfect timing, since someone just started up a new Kia Spectra discussion on this message board.

Being that's it's fairly new, it's kinda small now; but I'm sure we'll be seeing more Spectra owners here in the very near future. Especially if enthusiastic owners like you get things started....

Btw, to spare yourself the trouble of re-writing, you may want to copy/paste your message into that discussion. We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience!

Happy motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• mrolandmroland Member Posts: 129
    Hello,
    My name is Marc. I am 27 years old. I have a 1998 Saturn SL right now. The lease expires in September, and I have wanted a hatchback/Wagon. I have driven Golfs, Imprezas, Protege5, and Saturn LS. Nothing comes close to the Focus for handling, comfort, and price. I am only concerned about build quality, but hopefully they have been building them for 2 years now, so thye have gotten the bugs out of the series.

I am interested in hearing from Focus zx3 owners about how well thier car has held up. I am planning on ordering my ZX5 ASAP, so it will be ready this fall. I am please Ford is offering such a fun car, and most importantly, with a great stick shift.

I should have been born in Europe, I always loved hatchback Saabs and VWs.

Marc
    Thanks for your introduction... nice to meet you! ;-) You said: "I am interested in hearing from Focus zx3 owners about how well their car has held up. I am planning on ordering my ZX5 ASAP..."

I'm glad to see you've already found your way over to our Ford Focus ZX5 discussion. For feedback on the ZX3, here's a direct link to our ongoing Ford Focus ZX3 discussion. While you're there, look for links to other related ZX3 discussions/articles on the left hand side of page.

Also, you may be interested in reading Edmunds' Long Term Road Test of the 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. Hope this is helpful. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your new purchase! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • ejayvejayv Member Posts: 4
    What's up everyone? Well, I'll be buying a brand new 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8T on Tuesday. Can't wait to get it. Couldn't stand my 98 Honda Civic anymore. Not fun enough to drive for me. I'll be out and about looking to hear from everyone especially the owners of my soon to be new car. Take care and see you around.
    "Well, I'll be buying a brand new 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8T on Tuesday."

That's great! We look forward to hearing about your VW Golf purchase/ownership exerience.... Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host

• hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    My trusty old '95 Geo Metro 3-cylinder is still running great as my commuter car. Other than the fact that it eats exhaust systems (on its 3rd muffler and 2nd cat) it has been a problem-free car that has never once left me stranded. With gas prices going up and down all the time, it is nice to have the great milage. I drive the 5-speed hard and it still gets well over 50mpg after all these years.

I don't like trunks so my wife and I recently bought a Saturn LW200 with the arrival of our first born this year but the Metro 3-door hatchback lives on!

I just put new Michelin Rainforce MX4 tires on it and it is now better in many ways than when it was new. Why did I live with the OEM Goodyear Invictas for so long???

Harry
    And thanks for sharing your story.... Glad to hear your 95 Geo Metro has been serving you well. I see you've also found your way to our ongoing Geo Metro discussion. Happy motoring, and see ya around Town Hall! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • yyyuuuyyyuuu Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE ALWAYS DRIVEN A HATCHBACK VEHICLE AND HAVE DRIVEN FOR THE LAST 9 YEARS AN INTEGRA. I REALLY WAS VERY HAPPY UNTIL I DROVE THE NEW RSX. I WAS EXTREMELY IMPRESSED WITH ITS HANDING, BRAKING, ACCELERATION, ROOMINESS, AND NEW FEATURES. I AM A VERY HAPPY OWNER AND THE PRICE WAS WITHIN REASON. I SOLD MY 92 FOR A VERY GOOD PRICE AS WELL.

MY 92 INTEGRA HANDLED GREAT IN THE WINTER. I AM SURE THE NEW RSX WILL BE BETTER WITH ITS BIGGER TIRES. IT IS ALSO HEAVIER THAN THE INTEGRA AND THAT WILL HELP IN BETTER HANDLING IN THE WINTER AS WELL.
    And glad to hear you're enjoying your new Acura RSX! Here's a direct link to our onging our Acura RSX discussion, where you can share notes with other RSX owners and enthusiasts. In addition, you may also find some interesting discussions in our Town Hall Women's Auto Center.

Thanks for your participation. See you around Town Hall! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • teresitateresita Member Posts: 20
    my name is teresita ...
    i was just about to buy a 2001 vw GTI next week ..
    when i stumbled upon this forum ... and i am so glad i did!
    good tips about the new2002 GTI that i didn't know about ...
    now thanks to you all, i'm better informed and i think i'll wait for the 2002 line ...
    they haven't arrived in California yet ... I am counting the days ...
    I'm glad you're were able to find our ongoing GTI discussion. We look forward to hearing about your 2002 GTI purchase... when the time comes. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Just a brief announcement, to let everyone here know that as of today, I'm going to be changing my user name/profile to "Revka" and will no longer be going by "Pocahontas." No big explanation, but just decided it was time for a change.

So for those that know me as "Pocahontas", please be aware that when you see the user name "Revka" that it's still me.

Thanks for your participation at Town Hall. ;-)

Revka (aka pocahontas)
    Host

• header2header2 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, everyone, have being looking at cars and reviewing them through this site. Finally bought a new 2002 GTI golf last week. Go hosed by the dealer on the price, $21,750 for GTI with Alloy wheels and premium package and 6 disc CD changer.
    Anyone need any questions answered about the car let me know.
    By the way, it's a blast to drive. 600 miles on it already.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    GLX (V6) or GLS (1.8t)? Auto or 5 speed? Just wondering which one, I'm assuming by the price that it's a 1.8 (I think V6 are like $23-24k). I totally can't afford a new car, but I'd definitely consider one if I could (5 speed, of course). Don't feel bad about the price unless you don't like the car or can't afford it. If neither, be happy you can afford a car you like! (-;

Oh yeah, here's me:

ghulet
    age 32, live in Chicago (n. side of city)
    unemployed, it was fun for a while, now it sucks
    drive 90 Saab 900S hatchback 5 speed
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    To Header- Congratulations on your new vehicle. Also, glad to see you've found your way to our ongoing VW GTI discussion where you can share notes with other owners and enthusiasts. We look forward to hearing all about your GTI ownership experience!

To ghulet- Thanks for your introduction. Look forward to seeing you around the Hatchbacks message board....

Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • header2header2 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, it was a 1.8T manual with alloy wheels and the premium package. I don't feel bad about the price just having to argue with the dealer for 2 hrs to get him to agreed to that price. but anyway I screwed him on the VW customer survey.
  • mistery33mistery33 Member Posts: 6
    just wanted to introduce myself: marcus 53 years old. i just bought a new rsx regular not s model. very nice car. fun to drive but brakes seems not as powerful as they should be.( perhaps they need more time to set) ..
    and congratulations on your new Acura RSX! I see you've also found your way to our onging Acura RSX discussion. You may want to compare notes with other owners there about the brakes....

We look forward to hearing more about your RSX experience. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    ...Hey-hey! I've already posted a few times to the C230 Coupe topic, but I'll go through the formalities anyway, since I have the time right now.

I'm Mike, closing in on 40 years old, and although I drive a roadster at the moment, I recently placed my order for one of the aforementioned C230K's. This car looks like a real winner, and I hope to keep it for quite a while. I've owned a few other hatchbacks over the years, including a Gremlin X (what a car!), a couple of older 280Z's, and a couple of Rx-7's. I also frequent the Coupes/Convertibles/Sports Cars section, and I really enjoy watching people argue about goofy things, like what exactly *is* a sports car. Anyway, I 'spect that I'll be hanging out more 'round here as time goes by, so here's a toast to more traffic .
    and share your story. Also, congratulations on your new C230! I guess you must be pretty excited. Do you have much longer to wait?

"Anyway, I 'spect that I'll be hanging out more 'round here as time goes by..."

That's great. I look forward to seeing you around the Hatchbacks Message Board. Happy Motoring. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    The salesman said mid to late January in all probability. I am excited, but I'm also somewhat sad to lose my beloved S2000. The car is great with the top down, but something of an annoyance with the top up. Practicality at finally won out, sort of.
  • emt_jessemt_jess Member Posts: 3
    Hello- Just introducing myself after already posting a message! My name is Jessica, I live in Rhode Island and I am a graduate student at Boston College. I am about to retire my 1989 Honda Prelude and slip behind the wheel of a 2000 VW Golf GLS (I pick it up tomorrow!). This is my second hatchback (my first was a Nissan Pulsar) and I'm looking forward once again to the advantages of a cavernous backside... if you know what I mean. Have a lovely Thanksgiving everyone!
    Congratulation on your new VW Golf! Hope everything goes smoothly for you tomorrow. I see you've also found your way to our ongoing VW Golf discussion where you can compare notes with other owner/enthusiasts. We look forward to hearing more!

Btw, feel free to also join us in any of the discussions in our Women's Auto Center. I look forward to seeing you around Town Hall. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • petcarpetcar Member Posts: 4
    Hello, This is my first time posting on a message board. Two days ago during my new car research, I discovered this town hall community. Thanks to all, the messages were a positive confirmation on the car I was considering. Yesterday I bought a 2002 Hyuandi Accent GS.
    and congratulations on your new car! We look forward to hearing more about your 2002 Hyundai Accent experience.... See you around the Hatchbacks message board. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Here are some good discussions to help you get started:

- Which 5 door hatchback?

- Inexpensive new hatchback wanted

- Used hatchbacks: got any ideas?

- What do like about hatchbacks?

- Upcoming Hatchbacks (real or concept)

Or try using the Search feature, on the left side of the page, to find a specific topic (make/model) of interest throughout Town Hall. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • jimclarklivesjimclarklives Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm Pat, 26, car enthusiast, and Focus ZX3 owner of 9 months. I need more e-mail like I need elective gum surgery, but I'll post here anyway. If you have insomnia, ask me why the Focus is the perfect L.A. car.
    and thanks for your introduction. Here's are a couple Hatchbacks discussions that I think you'll enjoy: Ford Focus ZX3 and What do you like about hatchbacks?

You said: "I need more e-mail like I need elective gum surgery, but I'll post here anyway"

So you know, your email address in your profile is private by default. However, you can make it public if you choose to. Look forward to seeing you around the Hatchbacks board... even if it's just in the early hours of the morning! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • toto007toto007 Member Posts: 10
    Hope that all of us can force manufacturers to build better cars and fix problems w/o hassle.Same for the dealership.
    Abundant good wishes for happiness and joy this holiday season... and throughout the coming year! Thanks for your participation on this message board. Happy motoring, and drive safely. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I'm looking to get a new 2002 Golf GLS TDI sometime in Late January-early February.

Current I drive a 3-box Camry
  • valdelievrevaldelievre Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm a very satisfied owner of a 1999 civic hatchback. I love my car, but I'm planning a move out to Colorado this summer and I'm worried that it won't handle to well in the snow. So, I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to get my question answered. Thanks!

Abby
    Hi 8u6hfd- You may want to stop by our ongoing VW Golf discussion to share notes with other Golf owner and shoppers. Good luck with your purchase. We look forward to seeing you around the Hatchbacks Message Board. ;-)

Hi valdelievre - Glad to hear your Civic is serving you well. Here's a direct link to one of the ongoing Honda Civic discussions on this message board. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Btw, in that discussion, you'll also find a direct link to our Honda Civic Owner's Club... which will lead you to many other Civic discussions throughout Town Hall. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • stear_n_wielstear_n_wiel Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    My name's Mark. I used to own a '79 Plymouth Champ w/ 1.6 L and 8 on the floor. Yeah, you know one of those oddities w/ the split rear axle so every gear had an overdrive. Cool concept but not real practical for the lower gears. Anyway, it got too small for our family and I needed cash so this mechanic who had worked on the car once, when he saw it in the paper, scarfed it up. I often wonder if I should have sold it.

My son owned a 1982 Saab Turbo. Real sharp looking car and rolled straight cruising at high speed. But someone installed the engine in backwards in that car, which made it a joke to change the alternator. We gave up.

I now own a 1995 VW Golf GL std. 5 spd. This is not your pappy's VW. Great car around town and on the highway. I gave it to my wife to make up for the '63 VW bug I sold out from under her which she never forgave me for.
  • aussiegirlaussiegirl Member Posts: 1
    I love small hatchbacks (have a 1990 honda civic hatch) and am currently trying to decide between getting a VW Golf GTI or a Honda civic EX. This site seems a good place to look at. All opinions welcome.
    Here's a direct link to our VW Golf or Honda Civic discussion. I just moved it back to this board from our Archived folder. Hope this is helpful.

In addition, you may also want to check out our Volkswagen Golf and Honda Civic discussions. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • risa5risa5 Member Posts: 23
    Hi everyone. I didn't realize until just recently that I've never owned anything other than a hatchback. My first car was a then-new 1991 Honda Civic DX. That got me through university; then, it went to my younger brothers while I took public transit to work because that was more convenient. When I moved away from home in 1998, I left the car with my brothers. One of them pretty much trashed the car already at that point anyway. I bought a 1989 Plymouth Sundance for $1400 since I was a poor graduate student at that point. That car got rear-ended a year later, written off and the other driver's insurance company gave me $2000. I used that money to buy a 1987 VW Scirocco. These three cars all served me well from getting stranded cyclist friends get themselves and their bikes home to taking my car-ride-loving dogs out for a fun cruise. I'm no longer a starving grad student and I'm in the market for a new car. I briefly considered getting a mini-SUV, but I'm sticking to a hatchback and buying an Elantra GT.
    and thanks for sharing your story. Also, glad to see you've found your way over to our ongoing Elantra GT discussion where you can share notes with other owners and shoppers. Good luck with your purchase.

Btw, being a long time hatchback owner, you may also appreciate these discussions: What do you like about hatchbacks? and How Much Stuff Can Your Hatchback Hold?. I look forward to seeing you around the Hatchback Message Board. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • jesljesl Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, Thank you everyone for posting your messages here. My wife and I just brought a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT. We did a lot of looking around and a lot of test drives in different cars. This message board helped BIG time in choosing this car. Thanks again
    and congrats on your new 2002 Elantra GT! May it serve you well for many years to come. Btw, have you had a chance to check out our Hyundai Elantra Owner's Club? While you're there, perhaps take a moment to say hello in our Meet the Members discussion. We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • klynfklynf Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm new to this message board and also new to buying cars! I am a college student (almost ready to graduate) and am looking into buying my first car. I am currently driving a Pontiac Grand Am that my parents decided to lease for me, but my lease ends in a few months. I've been going to car dealers and researching online to find a good reliable, long-lasting car that can move me from PA to CA (undergrad to grad school.....quite a move!). I'm also not going to have any money to replace whatever I buy for many, many years (I'm going for a Ph.D...8 years in school and not making any $$$). So I went to the VW dealer and test drove a Passat, Jetta, and a Golf. I think they had to pry me from the Golf, I loved it so much! I never thought of myself as a hatchback driver, but this car was great! I am now trying to sell the car on my parents (they are helping my make the initial payment, so they are giving their opinions freely). They want me driving a nice and large, safe, family-sized car like an Accord, so when I said "Golf" they were less than thrilled. If anyone has any info or experience with namely the reliability, safety, longevity, and cargo capacity of these cars, please send it my way! Thanks a lot!
    klynf@hotmail.com
    and thanks for your introduction. You'll find lots of information (i.e. cargo capacity, crash test score, and etc.) on the VW Golf in Edmunds' New and Used Vehicle guides. Look for direct links at the top of this page.

Also, you can learn a lot by participating in our discussions. Please feel free to post any questions in our ongoing VW Golf discussion. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • nymerianymeria Member Posts: 11
    Hi - I'm here because my Integra GS-R was stolen so I'm shopping for a new car. So far hatchbacks are appealing to me the most - Protege5, Matrix, Vibe - so I'm spending most of my research time here. The idea of having something that's fun and yet flexible and useful is very appealing. Thanks to everyone for so many informative posts!

Oh, and to everyone who has an Integra - keep yours safe! Since the theft I've discovered the Integra is very attractive to thieves. Wish I'd known that before.
    and sorry to hear about your Integra. Good luck in finding a new vehicle, and please keep us posted on what you decide. Happy shopping.

Revka
    Host
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    i have owned(or co-owned with spouse) 77 camaro, 87 spectrum,90 sentra xe,97 200sx,99sonata gls-v6,01 tiburon.

the tibby is the hatchback. Nice for large and odd shaped boxes, vs normal trunk. I like the GT elantra, but will have to wait about 2 1/2 more years. Like our Sonata, but would like to trade for GT, more versatile and better mpg and less expensive.

would like to see the Mini, when I can. I will need to drive 90 miles to see one, when dealerships open up next month.
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    hey, is this the same Volfy that used to post on the hyundai connection website about 6-8 months ago?
    and thanks for your introduction. Glad to see you've had a chance to stop by a few of the discussions on this board. Feel free to also join us in our ongoing Tiburon Owners discussion. See you around Town Hall! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • stephenbeckstephenbeck Member Posts: 3
    i'm considering buying a ford focus zx3 and have appreciated what I could read on these message boards. definitely has cleared up most of my confusion about car buying. thanks.
    For a supplement of American Lawyer magazine, we are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts. Please respond by March 9 to Lorraine Dusky at lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host