Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• dmnsmith2dmnsmith2 Member Posts: 21
    and my coolant does not look to be low. No visible signs of leaking. My 2001 5.3liter has only 2500 miles on it. Can someone give me a clue?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    It's probably a bad sender unit and covered under warranty, bring it back to dealers for service.
    Enjoy your Truck :-)

Happy Thanksgiving !

Ray T.
  • bwnzchbwnzch Member Posts: 4
    Ok this is a new one....my turn signals make a static now when I flip them on....any ideas what this is?
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    through the sound system, it's probably a bad antenna coax or radio ground.
    -- Don
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    It is typical for Chev owners to want to compare the Tundra 1/2ton to their 3/4ton Chevs. This just proves to me how WEAK the Chev 1/2 tons are. Ask Oby his Chev 1/2 ton is seldom out of the shop.

Remember this - In order to work a truck, it can't be on the top of a service lift. If anyone should know this simple fact well it should be Oby - his lemon Chev has been in the shop over 4 months.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    of your way to flame Oby there aren't you Bama?
    any chance of you lettin it go?
    it has gone way beyond what would be called rediculous.
    thx
    Geez, you get your feelings hurt easily!

1. Oby started this thread in post #1540 (You better check quick because Oby will be deleting it soon!) I hardly call responding to a thread "going out of my way"

2. I didn't flame Oby - I actually like Oby! I just pity him sometimes for buying such a Chev Lemon. He could have bought a Tundra and had zero problems. I stated that his Lemon has been in the shop over 4 months, a fact that Oby himself has admitted.

The Chev vs. Tundra threads always end up "Mah 3/4 ton" or "Mah 1 ton" Chev will haul more than your 1/2 ton Tundra. To me this says that Chev owners don't want to compare their WEAK 1/2 ton pickups.

This reminds me of Oby comparing his lame donkey to a thoroughbred. I just don't understand it! At least he can correctly spell "ridiculous"
    i guess every town has a stalker.......:-))
    you're right about the fungus thing though.
    Would you like some cheese with that WHINE?
    Only Seelig could call someone who responded to a thread a stalker.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    It was a 1500 Silverado that I loaded with 2000lbs and drove to Alaska and up the unpaved Dalton Highway to the Artic Ocean.

It hasn't spent time in the shop; it has been totally reliable while carrying more weight than a Tundra can carry. I'll admit that a 1500 is WEAK compared to a 2500, just like my buddy had to admit that his Tundra is weak compared to my 1500.

My buddy made alot of noise about his modern engine vs. the Chevy pushrod antique. Of course, my old engine makes more HP and torque than his 'modern' engine while delivering better fuel economy.

There are more reported problems with new Silverado's than with the Tundra's. But, that has more to do with the fact that Silverado's outsell Tundra's 10:1. Why do you suppose 10 times as many people buy Silverado's?? Couldn't be because they are better trucks could it?

Alot of noise, but nothing to back up the noise.

Mike L
    It was a 1500 Silverado that I loaded with 2000lbs and drove to Alaska and up the unpaved Dalton Highway to the Artic Ocean.

It hasn't spent time in the shop; it has been totally reliable while carrying more weight than a Tundra can carry. I'll admit that a 1500 is WEAK compared to a 2500, just like my buddy had to admit that his Tundra is weak compared to my 1500.

My buddy made alot of noise about his modern engine vs. the Chevy pushrod antique. Of course, my old engine makes more HP and torque than his 'modern' engine while delivering better fuel economy.

Mike L
    Oh, Suddenly it was a Chev 1/2 ton - Yeah! - That's the ticket!

Your profile says that you own a 3/4 ton - better go edit it quick.

When I check the payload ratings of the Tundra vs. the Chev - the Tundra is within 50lb. If you hauled 2000lb, you were operating outside the manufacturer's ratings.
    Jan '02 Four Wheeler magazine compared the Tundra 4.7 Liter V8 against the Chev 5.3 L V8 and the Ford 5.4L V8 and the Dodge 4.7L V8 and stated "Underneath the hood of or Tundra rested the 4.7L V-8. Small in displacement, the V-8 puts out 245 horsepower and 315lb-ft of torque. While this wasn't any more than the other engnes,, the 4.7L is the ONLY powerplant that really FEELS like a V-8."

Un
  • abottorffabottorff Member Posts: 15
    I noticed while trying to track down my pinging problem (#1533) that my throtle seems to stick if you hold it at fast idle 1500rpm then realease or quickly press the throtle down and release it seems to take a few seconds to come back down to normal idle (500 or so) is this normal? by the way 5.3 v8 y2k . Oh and the noise (pinging) isn't heard unless moving. Truck is going in again on tues need to know about the throttle thing please I know the service mgr will say they all do that
    thanks this board is great happy thanksgiving everyone
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Chevy guys always saying "Mah 1/2 ton" or "Mah 1 ton can out-taw yur Terdyota, man."

Well, boys, ALL your Chevy trucks are weak compared to my uncle's fleet of Kenworths, Peterbilts and Freightliners.

Nyah nyah!!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you drive a one star rated side impact dumb truck?
    Mine does that too. It is normal.
    "I noticed while trying to track down my pinging problem (#1533) that my throtle seems to stick if you hold it at fast idle 1500rpm then realease or quickly press the throtle down and release it seems to take a few seconds to come back down to normal idle (500 or so) is this normal?"

Unfortunately, you will find that GM says that ANY problem they can't fix cheaply is "NORMAL" . This includes excessive oil consumption and engine knocking.

My advice: Trade it in on a Tundra soon.
    Ok, I was wrong, it is actually a static noise coming out around the fuse box...yes its under warranty I just hate taking it in for a day for a .12 part. Any ideas?
    Is that where the turn signal relay is?
    -- Don
    Do you have an on-line order source for the Velvet Ride shackles?
    -- Don
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    I can't believe you're driving around in a truck with a "marginal" off-set collision rating. That's pretty terrible, considering what you call the "half-sized" Tundra had a better than average rating for the same crash test.

I'll say my prayers for you tonight.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I think the computer does that to reduce the amount of unburned gas that results if the revs are up and then immediately drop back. I've noticed it ever since I owned my 1st throttle-bodied in '88. This along with other computer caused anomolies.
    Thanks. Had that link; requies a phone call. Guess I'll have to do that tomorrow.
    -- Don
    I am assuming you know the difference between marginal and one star? Again, its no comparison. What is it about the one star that you don't understand...moreso since it came from a Federal agency....and two years running to boot...dang!!
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    bamatundra: The truck I own now is a 2001 2500HD but I owned a 1994 x-cab 1500 4x4 with a snowplow also. My neighbor was comparing my 94 Truck as my new one is only 2 1/2 months old & it hasn't snowed yet. In 94 I was told you can"t put a plow on my 1500 X-cab & had to put it on myself. I sold it after 7 years for $12,750.00 with plow and only paid $22,500.00 when new! Not to bad for a Chevy. I still have all the paperwork on the truck as it was used for a business very little cost in upkeep.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    On a Tundra, so thats not fair. LOL
    -Eric
    about this one now.........you can't do a whooole lot of things with a tundra.....
    good luck on this one now!
    Since you haven't been around very long, I'll forgive you for not knowing I have a 1500 4x4. I bought it in May of 99 and loaded the camper (that is beyond the capacity of a Tundra) and drove it to Alaska. Thousands of miles of dirt and gravel roads, 12% grades, 7 straight miles of 8% grade coming out of Valdez and much more. The truck was rated by Chevrolet to carry 2000lbs, and we did it. We were slightly over GVWR, we weighed in at 6440lbs on a certified scale.

My wife tends to worry, and when she realized we were slightly over the max ratings, it was a problem. So, I bought the 2500 for the camper and now I use the 1500 for general truck duties.

I don't know what to tell you about your 4.7L engine. My first year 4.8L has 255 horsepower (and over 250 lb-ft of torque at 1200 rpm). You'd think that with all the advantages of overhead cams, superior Japanese engineering and such that the Toy engine would be stronger than that.

Interesting thing about owners of Japanese trucks; if the magazine says something good about an American truck, it's the advertising dollars talking; if they something good about a Japanese truck, it's the truth!

Believe what you want about magazine articles. I prefer to drive my own truck and make up my own mind.

Mike L
    Why are the sales on the Tundra so low? The buying public is voting with their money, and it looks like they don't buy the magazine results!

I've never seen a Tundra used as a work truck by any business, why do you suppose that is?

Mike L
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    My coworker bought a Tundra last year and he loves it. He commutes on weekends to his cabin while towing a rather large fishing boat. Not a complaint thus far. He gets in the upper teens to lower 20's for gas mileage, has even trailered a Bobcat for the shop when no other vehicle was available and it handled it rather well. The most impressive thing about the Tundra that I see is the quiet and tightness of the cab along with the snappy power of the V-8. Don't get me wrong I love my 01 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Ext Cab SB 4x4. But knocking another man's truck is like talking bad about his mother. We all choose what we want based on our needs and wants (most of the time). His Tundra is what he wanted, my GMC is what I wanted. We both purchased based on previous experience and need. I have had two Ford pickups and chose GMC, he had GM's and Dodges. I use my truck for the commute to work and occasionally (more than too often) I haul large equipment for work. I tow a large camper whenever time off allows and haul just about everything a homeowner has to carry. Loaded her down with firewood just last week and not the stuff I plan to burn this year, no it was the heavy wet stuff. I laugh at folks who buy trucks just for the sake of driving a truck never to have a dust speck so much as touch the inside of the box. If these people would have stuck to driving cars, the prices we pay for trucks we use as trucks wouldn't be so darn high. One of my customers drives a F-350 DRW CC with a diesel. He only drives it to and from work, never plans to tow or haul anything, just likes the way people look at it when he drives around. Has no kids and rarely has anyone with him, for that they us his wifes Lincoln towncar. Go figure.
    You're going to spoil all of our fun.

Besides, I didn't say bad things about his truck, I said good things about mine. And no personal jabs either.

Mike L
    Yes minikin, I think that is where the relay is and you might be on to something. What does the relay for the turn signal look like?
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    truck to haul things? Is this new or what? Don't get the bed dirty anyway. Have hauled 2800 lbs of sand and 5700 lb trailer with BobCat (not at the same time). Will a Toy Tindra do that?

'00 Silverado 5.3 liter K1500 EC 4x4. 18K miles with no problems except getting enough time to drive it
  • rmumfordrmumford Member Posts: 10
    Hello all. Where can I find these TSBs for my 1999 Silverado online. I seem to have many of these problems, i.e. sticking throttle, clunking noise in shifting, shifts into OD way too soon for the hilly terrain I live in, etc.

Thanks in advance,

RMUMFORD
    Your truck is rated to haul I think about 50 lbs more than mine. Where is the beef? By the way - we are WAYYY off topic - If you have a response, please respond to:

tavgrad "HONEST OPINIONS: Are Toyota's Pickups Just as Good as The Big Three?" Nov 26, 2001 2:28pm
    My 1/2 ton is rated for 6400lbs GVWR. Empty weight is just under 4400lbs. So I have a max load of just over 2000lbs. I did notice the 2001s don't have the same empty weight???? I suspect the difference is the fuel tank being full vs. empty, but I don't know.

If I have a response I should????? You came over here and never responded to any of my comments. I guess you don't have a response!

Went to the mother-in-laws house over the weekend. A little over 400 miles. Filled up before we left - right at 18 around town. 412 miles later we neede 17 gallons to fill up - that's 24 mpg! Surprised me, I expect just over 22. I guess now that I have 31K on it, now it is broken in and giving better mileage.

Mike L
    has anyone else had the pinging noise 1500-about2k rpm under load (see #1533 ABOVE TO keep it short)? My truck is in for it's fifth visit today has anyone who has this found the cause and solution y2k 5.3 silverado already got the bbb case # just in case-- seems like it started at about the same time as my first-start-of-the-day-cold-knock anyone? thanks.

also what's the difference between the pf58 and 59 my manual says to use the pf58 but I notice that many say the 59 is the best are they interchangeable? (is that spelled right I hate typing.) and which is best?
  • abberaabbera Member Posts: 24
    Any threads to discussions about transmission problems on a 2000 Silverado 2500 automatic?
    I had problem with mine suddenly starting to shift up extremely harshly (not just a clunk but hard BANG). Dealer has had it for 12 days and says it is a bad torgue converter that they had to order and have been waiting a week for. Excuse my potential ignorance, but in my 35+ years of working on cars etc. I have never seen a torque converter fail like this, especially since it would occasionally shift right! I did have a similar problem on my 91 GMC but that was because the dealer changed the flywheel and did not adjust the shifting cable (?) after reinstalling the tranny. (They obviously did not even road test it). This is a different dealer by the way.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    PF58? What manual would that be?

Mine says PF59
    Your Chev 1/4 ton only gets 24mpg on the highway? My 1/2 ton gets 30mpg - Yeah! that's the ticket!
    Well boy, I'm happy for you getting 30 mpg. All the other Tundra owners must be jealous. And here I was thinking 24 mpg was good. It is better than I expected. Of couse, I'm also quite happy with the 18 mpg around town. I check mileage every tank.

My 2500 has never gotten better than 16.5 mpg. Of course, that it with the camper on board and running right at 7400lbs. The 2500 has averaged 15 mpg overall from the day I got it. Low of 10.5, high of 16.5.

Mike L
    Some manuals listed PF58 - mine did. But PF59 is the correct filter. The only difference is an anti-drainback valve in the PF59. That valve keeps oil in the block from draining back into the pan. You'll notice it when you pull the filter off, about 1 cup of oil runs down the outside of the filter. It probably helps the pressure come up faster when the engine is started.

Mike L
    Where are the sales figures to back up the great little Tundra???? Why does the Silverado outsell it 10 to 1???

4.7L DOHC engine only has 245hp?? My GM pushrod 4.8L engine has 255hp, newer ones have 270hp. What is the advantage of DOHC complexity??

The Toy 4.7L truck is rated at 14/17mpg, while the heavier GM 4.8L trucks are rated 15/19. What is the advantage of the Toy here??????

I'm impressed that you can get almost twice the rated mileage out of your truck. I've only gotten 5mpg over the rating. But, lots of Silverado owners exceed the mileage estimate. How many Tundra owners exceed the 14/17 rating????

Mike L
    1. Well, the Silverado does not outsell it 10 to 1. Try again.

2. No GM SAYS that your 4.8 has 255hp. Any test in towing, hauling, acceleration or braking shows that the Tundra blows away the wimpy 4.8L Chev. Why would I compare my Tundra to a weak V8 Chev? A fairer comparison would be the Tundra V6 vs. the Chev 4.8L V8.

That is why Chev owners keep wanting to compare their 3/4 ton trucks to the 1/2 ton Tundra. The Tundra is so much better than the wimpy 1/2 ton Chevs that the owners keep wanting to change the topic.

3. Your 24mpg claim is either extremely exaggerating or an outright lie. I posted 30mpg SARCASTICALLY. I get 19.5 mpg highway on by bone stock V8 Access Cab 4WD Tundra. The 5.3L Chev V8 (Which is more comparable to the Tundra) gets 1mpg less empty and 3mpg less towing according to Truck Trend.
  • abberaabbera Member Posts: 24
    Well I guess I missed something. I thought this board was Silverado problems NOT Tundra vs Chevy etc. Did I miss something? Any others with Silverado trans problems per previous post. Useful information is appreciated.
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    I took my '00 5.3 to dealer today for 15K service.
    Service rep informed me that GM hopes to have a fix for the ticking noise early '02. He stated the problem is the lifters.

Is this true are is this just service rep trying to please customer? Would appreciate any comments. Also, what is everyone's best guess about long term (100K) plus reliability with this engine?

I realize this subject has been "beat to death" and my apology if this has been previously discussed.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I personally know a few people who have over 100K miles on their 5.3 (99 or 00 silverados/sierras). No problems at all with them.

I also have read (so they may be lying) posts of people online with 70K + with no problems
This discussion has been closed.