Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    I see you live in Alaska. I have never been there, but have wanted to go since I was about 10 years old. I had a flight student who moved up there and he invited me to come up and he would show me around, but I never took him up on it. Yes it was +24 degrees which probably is pretty warm for where you are at. However, a number of years ago I compared the wx in Anchorage to that of Omaha and was surprised to find they are somewhat close in the wx extremes. When I lived in Mont. and Wyo., I got a lot of that - - - below zero wx. In Wyo, I worked a lot outside --BRRRR!! On the heated seats - they are great. They don't take too long to heat up. When it is cool, I usually start it up about 5 to 10 minutes before I leave, turn the seat on at that time and by the time I leave it will be noticeably warm. Never had such luxury before - it's great. What does ROFLMAO mean?
    cowboyjohn
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    My A__ Off!
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I found this web site helps me to understand what some of the acronyms posted here mean.

http://www.acronymsearch.com/

• themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    I had a 2000 Sierra 4x4, black that had a problem with the paint. The primer was showing through the thin layer of paint. That was a problem truck, which was bought back by GMC.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    No offense intended by the comment. Just was funny. Most people don't have that option up here. I always wondered why. Flight Student that lived up here?? Riddle grad here '00. But not in AVSCI. Did manage to get my COM MUlTI ticket while I was there though. Back to the subject at hand. How did your truck startup in colder weather?? Like in the teens and below 0?? Mine seems to be fine even with plugging in the block heater, just want to give it time to heat up the oil!.

And to those with the fan problem. The lower the temp, when you start your car in the morn, you will hear a sound for about 10 secs to 30 secs depending on how cold it is. It was -5 last night and it made the sound for about 10 secs and then quieted down. Remember that it has been sitting in that all night. It will freeze up and get cold just like the block, so it's not a GM problem it's a weather issue.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    2001 Chevy 1500 Ext cab Z71... Just broke my lumbar
    support in the drivers seat. I can't believe this.
    I only weigh 145 lbs and the thing broke on a mountain access road.

Oh well. The dealer ordered a new seat frame and will relace it when it comes in.

Walter
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    No offense was taken. As to the starting, it has started very well - just reach inside and turn the key. However, we have had a very warm winter here. I believe the coldest we have had was down to about 15. Unlike, Wyoming a few years back when we came in off of graveyard shift and it was 41 below. The only vehicle that would start in a group of probably 30 cars was a 1948 Buick. The rest had to be pulled. I don't have a block heater, but I do let it warm up a few minutes before I drive it. I am having a 40x60 shop built, so next winter it will set inside instead of out in the wind.

dch0300 Thanks for the acronym list.

cowboyjohn
  • kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    You got what you payed for when you bought that GM TRASH!! Just add oil every time you filler up.
    AS rube the dope would say good luck on that one for now!
  • john294john294 Member Posts: 56
    Ever since I got this truck NEW in 2000 it has always done this and still does ,when in drive going up a incline or while driving on the hyway and you go to excellerate itll produce a sound that seems to be coming from the rear end (clanging)it will not do it in 3rd gear or while in tow mode,have gone all the way to BBB with truck but only got a extended warrenty out of GM and I was told by GM rep that I had purchased a full size truck with the smallest engine and thats way it did it,in other words they admitted that their new vortec V6 wasnt worth squat,Im just wondering if anyone else has a 4x4 V6 and has had the same problem,Thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    their new vortec V6 ?

New? Isnt it the same engine they had been using in previous yrs and other models like the blazers?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The old 4.3 was brand new in the truck but not by design.
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    Gator, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. The dealer had to replace the back recliner mechanism in my 2000 Sierra. Hard to believe that they couldn't even get the seats right!
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    or had any other trouble with my 2k Silverado 5.3 truck.

I don't have to add oil to my Ford F150 Super Crew neither, but it's only 4 months old.

thank gawd I did not purchase one of the little Tundra trucks I looked at. I needed a truck that full size humans would fit into.
    Ok it may not be a new design,but it was suppose to be a more powerful V6 ??? LOL,well anyway thats what it said in the showroom catolog,the thing Im trying to reslove is either I got screwed with this truck and there is something mechanically wrong with it OR the full size V6 4x4 trucks arent worth a damn power wise....
    my mom has the 4.3 in her blazer. Compared to my 5.3 it doenst have close to the power the larger one does. Most notable is going uphill. The 4.3 seems to run out of steam and mine loves hills. The steeper the better.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Better check the latest Motor Trend. That "little Tundra" truck outhauled and outbroke a Chev 1500HD with a 6L engine.

I think that Chev has a lot of nerve calling their puny 1500HD "full size". It does make a nice minivan though.
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    Could you just STOP we don't care if you love your Toy or what it does!!!! This board about SILVERADO'S not Toy's-- OK. I think if you keep putting your 2 cents in about how great Toys are I'm going to the Toy boards & bombard them with how great Chevys are & how bad my neighbor's Tundra is. Why don't you get it,your not welcome here were tired of the same crap out of your mouth. I know about freedom of speech but your a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. Get lost !! PLEASE
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    He's just jealous. He even feels better when he comes on the Silverado board.

But, while he still has a Toy truck, the only way he can feel better is to try and cut down the ones he is jealous of.

Just remember the reason he is here, and leave him alone..........After he hangs around with the real trucks awhile, he'll buy one!

Mike L
    I know what your saying but I'm sick & tired of the same crap from him post after post.
    everhart

check out

http://www.gm-trucks.com

All gm owners none of this stupid bs

I've been there since Aug. nice site. Sorry to here about your truck meeting up with your dad. If you turn it in the insurance co. some co's. wave the deductible.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Better check the latest Motor Trend. That "little Tundra" truck outhauled and outbroke a Chev 1500HD with a 6L engine.

The Tundra outbroke the 1500HD!!! I wonder why anyone would come in here bashing our trucks when their's outbreaks our's! I understand your frustration, everhart. I too am getting tired of people coming in here and being disrupters. If someone likes their Toyota, that's fine by me. But they don't need to come into all the other rooms bragging like there's no tomorrow about their truck, while cutting everyone else down. This thread is really about new style Chevys and GMCs. If someone doesn't own one or isn't interested in one, then they should stay out unless they have something constructive to say. But to constantly come in here to disrupt and be acrimonious is indicative of real life problems that need to dealt with on a professional level. I stay out of Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc rooms. I would expect the same from others. There, I've said my piece.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    "thank gawd I did not purchase one of the little Tundra trucks I looked at. I needed a truck that full size humans would fit into."

I'm just curious, do you mean FAT people? I'm 5'11" and 180lbs, I have a friend who is 6'5" and over 200lbs. No problem fitting in the Tundra. I sat in the back of a GMC Sierra extended cab recently and I couldn't close the rear door with the front seats all the way back because I couldn't get my knee in far enough. As far as front seat room though there isn't much difference between the GMC and the Tundra.
    WHAT WOULD AMERICA BE WITHOUT THEIR NERDS?

"No problem fitting in the Tundra. I sat in the back of a GMC Sierra extended cab recently and I couldn't close the rear door with the front seats all the way back because I couldn't get my knee in far enough"

Yeah try that in a Tundra with the front seats FORWARD much less all the way back. To bring the subject of rear seat legroom is idiotic comparing the the two trucks. You can't even sit in the back of the Tundra without getting a backache.

The second poster reminds me of this group out of the 70's....called El Chicano...LMFAO!!
  • rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    cougar5th
    Alexandria, LA Date Posted: Dec 28, 2001 10:46 AM

I am not trying to start a brand war,or an american vs [non-permissible content removed] war, just trying to provide information to other Tundra owners wondering how their truck might tow a 5th wheel.

The Tundra does tow well. I live in flat Louisiana, so I have not had a chance to try in mountains. I recently (this week) bought a 5th wheel. It is a Cougar 278, 28'8", hitch weight 1160, total weight per manufacturer 6,800#, about 12' high.

I took it to the Cat scales. These were the actual weights: Steer axle 2600#, Drive axle 3440#,
    Trailer axles 5820#, Gross 11860#

The trailer was lightly loaded, and my wife was not in truck. This is close to GVWR 6200, since GVW was 6040 (2600+3440). Put the wife in and we have a few lbs left. The GCWR was slightly over (60#), but will be within 2-3% with wife and a few other items. Pin is right over the rear axle (have slider hitch).

Have only towed a few hours, but the Tundra pulls it well (OD off, 3100rpm, 68mph mostly). The trailer actally weighs about 250# more than the manufacturer's sticker (hard to imagine). That is why I am a little higher on wieghts than I thought I would be. Will post update after trip this long weekend. The Tundra can well handle its maximum weights on relatively flat land.

All comments are welcome.

cougar5th
    Alexandria, LA Date Posted: Dec 28, 2001 12:35 PM

We thought it(Cougar 278) fit us best, given weight limitations because we did not want to buy another truck to replace a truck only six months old that I like the 95+% of the time I'm not towing. Only time will tell how well it hlds up.

cougar5th
    Alexandria, LA. Date Posted: Feb 19, 2002 2:10PM

I started this thread so I thought I owed it to all concerned (especially potential Tundra owners)to update the situation. While the Tundra did real well in relatively flat land, it struggled some in mountains (Arkansas sized not Colorado sized).

I would recommend Tundra owners stay to 5-5,500 lbs if mountians will be on the agenda. We bought the fifth wheel trailer we really wanted, and Colorado is on our agenda, so we traded the Tundra in for a Ford F250 Crew Cab with PSD. I have yet to pull the fifth-wheel with the new truck, but I think the 7,500# fifth-wheel will be a walk in the park for the PSD.

The Tundra is a great half ton, and I really liked it. But I have to admit that some of you were right (including 5thwheeler) when you said the trailer was too much for a half ton.

I hope some can learn from my experience.
  • rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    I haven't been here in a long time, but seems like the meaningless debates continue as though I never left. The above post (1927) is the experiences of one RV'er where brand is less important than the truck's capability and information is shared to be helpful to all rather than negative comments.

Larry
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I have a V-6 4x4 Silverado and think it has a lot of power. It runs 0 to 60 in 9.0 secs. I am not sure what you mean in your post. You state "something mechanically wrong with it OR the full size V6 4x4 trucks arent worth a damn power wise". I thought the problem was a noise from the rear end.

Anyway, I also can get the driveline to make noise in overdrive with locked torque converter when lugging the engine at a round 1100 to 1200 rpms. I think it is the drive shaft and I have been other trucks that do the same thing (a Diesel Dodge 4x4 I drove made the same noise). Tow/Haul does not allow the engine to lug so there is no noise.

I think the noise is produced by high torque low rpm operation combined with the 60-degree pulses from a 6-cylinder engine. During each power stroke the engine resonates the driveline. A V-8 has 45-degree power pulses. The V-6 driveline is the same as the V-8s so I would expect it to be durable.

FYI, the 4.3 V-6 should feel the same as the 4.8 V-8 and 5.3 V-6 at 1100 to 1200 rpms. The V-6 produces max torque at lower rpms than the V-8s and amazingly produces about the same torque between 1100 and 1200 rpms.
    I've sat in the back of my Tundra and it is cramped but the Sierra is certainly no better unless you like driving with the doors open.
  • scotpana1scotpana1 Member Posts: 6
    Are any of you Silverado owners having problems with a sticky gas pedal? Well I'am and come to find out it is not covered under the warranty. Truck has 28k miles 2000MY.
    Customer Service says it comes under the part in the warranty exceptions under "cleaning" and the word cleaning is right next to the word "polishing". The carbon has to be cleaned from the throttle plate and the cost is incurred on the owner if it is not done before 12k. This is one of 3 problems that I have not been able to have corrected under warranty. So that tells me it is not worth the paper it is written on.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I'm a bit confused about your comments with regards to the interior room of a GM ext-cab truck being vs. a Tundra. You make comments about how cramped the back seat is on a GM truck yet the interior specs say otherwise. Also, was the front seat all of the way back in the Sierra when you tried to get in the back seat and close the door? Did your 6'5" friend have the front seat all of the way back in your Tundra and if so did you try to sit in the back seat behind him when he was in it?

I'm 5'10" and when I'm driving my Silverado in my normal seat position and my 6'6" friend in the passenger seat, I have no problem with guys around 5'10" sitting in the back seat.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Thanks to the Tundra owners posting here about their superior tow vehicles. I will certainly remember it next time at our slippery boat ramp when my Silverado pulls my boat out cleanly and a Tundra (no locking rear or limited slip) on the next ramp slips & slides around. Funny stuff. Thanks again for pointing out how superior your Tundras are - I never would have known from the view at the boat ramp.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Dealer is giving you the run around.

Somewhere on this board is a link to a TSB that tells the dealer to replace your throttle body - to not bother cleaning or trying to adjust it.

I am sure someone here can post this link - print it out and shove it up the guys [non-permissible content removed].

Better yet - find a dealer that will work to help you rather than treating you like dirt.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Rear leg room
    chev-33.7
    tundra-28.6
    it don't matter if you're a small child or don't have legs
    kip
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    will outbroke(your word) a full sized truck.

If you read my post I needed a truck that full size humans would fit in. That probably explains why I now own a Ford F150 Super Crew truck too.

The Tundra is too small for me. The bed is too shallow too.

And I must admit I don't give a rat's patootee what Motor Trend has to say.

The Tundra has some good things going for it.......but the fact is it's too small for my needs. I do not need a 3/4 size truck.

And it cerrtainly is important of the "size" of a tow vehicle to the load being towed.

A little truck pulling a large load is not good.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    The 2002 Tundra has an LSD. I have one of dem forin ones :-)
    Thanks for your respone ,you are the first person that has explained the noise in a way that it makes sense,I wasnt really complaining about the trucks overall performance except for the ''driveline'' noise it makes,it was the GM Rep that led me to belive there was a power problem by her statement of it being the base engine in a full size truck,you stated you can MAKE yours lug and make the sound,I do not do it on purpose ,itll just do it on its own, so are you saying that I need to stomp on the gas pedal to downshift to get the RPMs up to stop this noise from happenig when going up hill or passing,I was also told by the Dealer Service Manager to drive the truck in 3rd instead of Drive around town which didnt make any sense to me....Thank you for your input......
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    I was running 4Hi in snow yesterday. At speeds from 15-50 mph mostly. When under power, there seems to be a lot of drivetrain noise coming from the front. When in a "glide", the noise mostly goes away. I can still tell I'm in 4Hi, but it's relatively quiet. The under power high noise level worries me.

Anybody got the same? Wanted some other thoughts before it goes to the dealer to get checked out.
    in auto 4wd today i noticed a noise in the front end. Its been like that since day one

havent had my truck in 4wheel hi since last winter. Never recalled it making "alot of noise". Some but barely noticable
  • obiggsobiggs Member Posts: 33
    HELP, my parking brake goes all the way to the floor and still is not enough to keep it from rolling down my 2% driveway. I looked under my truck and where 1 cable goes into 2, and it's tighten all the way (from the factory?) anyone having the same problem?
    I don't frequently have people riding in the back of my Tundra and I know that with the seats all the way back the Tundra back seats are very lacking in legroom. However, I could not fit in the Sierra with the front seats all the way back either so I really don't see where the advantage is in the Sierra.

I guess if you are 6'5" and everyone else in the truck is 6'5" then the Sierra would have an advantage but I've driven with another couple in my truck with a 6'1" guy in the passenger seat and our wives in the back (they are 5'3"-my wife and 5'5"-his wife) and everyone was plenty comfy.

I also don't think anyone in the first scenario above would be at all comfy because the front seats would have to be so far forward for the rear passengers to fit.

I'm just curious because I always hear people (mostly American truck owners) [non-permissible content removed] about the small back seat in the Tundra. I guess if you regularly have 4 people in your truck you would buy a crew cab but if it's a rarity I don't see the advantage in the Chevy/GMC. Maybe with the new Dodge Ram but not with any other fullsize extended cab truck.
    Never had a complaint from a rear passenger. I hear nothing but praise and how comfy it is
    That's funny - I have never had a complaint from anyone sitting in the backseat of my truck either. Go figure!
    If they complained it would fall on deaf ears anyway wouldn't it bama?
    I hear that your local Chev dealer is going to hook up a webcam in his service bay so that you can see your truck occasionally. LMAO!
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Man you guys are too much sometimes
    poor excuse for a back seat....oh yeah, you have no complaints from your kids....that's it...made for kids...lmao!!

laemt-

So when are you buying your tundra? People may start calling you a Tundra wannabeeeeee.......hehe!
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    F1Jules/Bamatundra..........would you pleez get a life and go somewhere that enjoys your idiotic postings?
    sheesh, why does this board have to contain such hogwash.
    a great idea would be to let members of their topic delete the useless ones such as yours. at least that way the interested parties wouldn't have to waste time sorting through the Kaos you two start.
    oh well, guess it's back to GM Trucks.
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    now don't get started with the "hogwash" or you'll get us ol' Harley guys all going. HA...
  • mugstermugster Member Posts: 16
    Here is the TSB regarding your throttle body. GM has been replacing them left and right in the past but now they are just trying to clean them to save money. They are saying that it is normal to accumulate residue on the throttle body.

This will work, but at your cost. Around $100 at the dealer. You can do it yourself with a can of cleaner.

Depending on when your truck was built, it may have an updated throttle body. But it is having the same problems as the earlier throttle bodies that GM was replacing them under warranty.

After sitting for awhile, the butterfly will "stick." You have to pop the pedal hard to get it unstuck. It will be fine until the next time the truck sits for awhile.

This is horsesh$t. Mine was replaced at 15000. I now have 40000 on the truck and have not had a problem with the new throttle body.

Increased Accelerator Pedal Effort (Replace Throttle Body) #00-06-04-007B
    Increased Accelerator Pedal Effort (Replace Throttle Body)
    1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

with 4.8 L, 5.3 L or 6.0 L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LQ4)

This bulletin is being revised to include instructions on reading the Date Code, and added text on which Throttle Body Assemblies to replace. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-04-007A (Section 04 -- Engine Controls).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a higher than expected accelerator pedal effort from the idle position.

Cause
    Condition may be caused by a tight throttle blade in the throttle body bore when in the closed position.

Correction

Notice
    DO NOT adjust the shipping air screw to rotate the throttle body blade away from the throttle body bore. Adjusting the shipping air screw compromises the idle speed control, and may lead to other driveability concerns. Adjusting the shipping air screw may lead to reduced Idle Air Control valve durability.

Verify the cause for this condition is not a damaged or binding throttle cable.

Remove the throttle body from the engine and inspect the 4 digit Julian date code stamped on the bottom edge of the mounting flange. The Julian date code is stamped on the lower edge of the mounting flange, next to the gasket edge, on the side of the throttle position sensor. The stamped 5 digit code is the last 5 digits of the Throttle Body Assembly Part Number. If the Date Code is 2979 , or earlier (Indicating the Throttle Body was built before the 297th day of 1999):

DO NOT clean the Throttle Body Assembly.
    Replace the Throttle Body Assembly using the Service Manual procedure.

DO NOT attempt to adjust Throttle Body Assemblies.

Notice
    All 1999 models whose Throttle Body has not been replaced will have a date code prior to 2979 and should be replaced for this condition.

Reading The Date Code
    The four digit Date Code can be interpreted as follows:

Example -- Date Code 2979

The first 3 digits (297) represent the calendar Julian date. 297 = the 297th day of the calendar year.
    The last digit (9) represents the last digit of the year.
    8 = the year 1998
    9 = the year 1999
    0 = the year 2000
    1 = the year 2001
    Parts Information
    Model Year Part Number Description
    1999 17113597 Throttle Body, 4.8 L V8 w/Manual Transmission
    1999 17113583 Throttle Body, 4.8 L and 5.3 L V8 w/Automatic Transmission
    1999 17113558 Throttle Body, 6.0 L V8 w/Automatic Transmission
    1999 17113599 Throttle Body, 6.0 L V8 w/Manual Transmission
    2000 17113639 Throttle Body, 4.8 L V8 w/Manual Transmission
    2000 17113665 Throttle Body, 4.8 L and 5.3 L V8 w/Automatic Transmission and w/o Traction Control
    2000 17113640 Throttle Body, 6.0 L V8 w/Manual Transmission
    2000 17113652 Throttle Body, 6.0 L V8 w/Automatic Transmission and w/o Traction Control
    1999, 2000 17113561 Seal, Throttle body (not shown)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Description Labor Time
    J5485 Throttle Body - R&R Use Published Labor Time
    J5490 Throttle Body Replace Use Published Labor Time

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    I thought I brought up a worthwhile comparison. Oh well, if it doesn't interest you then don't read it.
This discussion has been closed.