Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Terry:

Thanks for the info. I hope I don't need all the stuff that your Jeep did. I'll be it would be pretty expensive.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S.

Two years now without a smoke. :) Thanks for your encouragement early on in my quit.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom

Yeeeeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaaaawwww.

I intended to e-mail you on the second anniversary of not smoking. I don't know why I just forgot it. That's what you have to put up with from the elderest statesman on the forum (I think).

Anyway, congratulations. Not many of us understand what a real accomplishment it is.

Terry
    Mac,

Do you think the problems I had and the one Tom is experiencing have any connection to the recall we have been hearing about?

Terry
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Yeah, I'll post a few pics when the centre caps come in, though the all-black jeep looks pretty super without them! (I decided blackwall out, which looks good--very jeepish).

Ironically, it was freezing rain/snow last night, and I had no problem with the tires--I don't drive fast EVER (well, me jeep plain out can't! ;) ), but I heard that the MT's aren't that great in icy conditions. If anyone is avoiding these tires because of this possibility, I assure you that if you drive wisely when conditions warrant, they are not a danger.

Ryan
    Mac, I don't know what happened to my post from last night where I told you that I checked the code again and found it to be P 0300. I guess it never did go through.

Anyway, that's what it is showing.

I'll probably change the spark plugs tomorrow, since I need to do that anyway, but I have my doubts that bad plugs are the source of my troubles.

Tom

P.S. Mac, in your first post in response to my cry for help you mentioned distributor cap and plug wires (not sure if you mentioned plug wires). Thelma Jane is an 01, and she has distributorless ignition.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Here are some pics of the new Wrangler. It is good sized, so I'll post just the link. Think the front end looks a LOT like the Gladiator. This could be good or bad. It may mean the Gladiator won't happen and was a testbed for the new Wrangler, or since they share parts, that it would happen.

http://www.4x4shots.com/albums/userpics/10054/Jeep1.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=549

-Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mac, I don't know what happened to my post from last night

It must have gone up in smoke Tom!

Sales are doing good:

"The icon of the Jeep brand, Jeep Wrangler, posted sales of 5,363 units, an increase of 17 percent over December 2004 sales of 4,573 units." link (PR Newswire)

Steve, Host
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    A guy I work with has bought a 95 YJ. The question is does a YJ come with both low and high gear in the transfer case? Also, what is the pattern on the transfer case?

Still a happy camper.
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Well, I guess I had another brain fart (what else is new) :blush:

Thanks Tom

Randy
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    My 95 has a 4-hi and 4-lo position on the transfer case. I do believe the pattern is as shown below. I will verify and revise once I look at it.

2Hi
    |
    |
    4Hi-
    -N-
    |
    |
    4Lo
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Thanks much for the info.

Still a happy camper.
    You mean they ARE 7"? I wasn't sure, so check it out, and don't take my word for it.

Tom
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    It's a little hard to get used to. I think I prefer the TJ, but the 4 door version will probably be very cool.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    P.S. Mac, in your first post in response to my cry for help you mentioned distributor cap and plug wires (not sure if you mentioned plug wires). Thelma Jane is an 01, and she has distributorless ignition.

I was hoping that you wouldn't realize that until after you'd bought them, then you could send them to me for spares. :P

P0300 is 'multiple misfires' which, as you said, doesn't help much. Change the plugs, which is necessary anyway, and see if anything changes. Personally, I'd use the standard Champions, which we know work well.

Does it do it at any other time, i.e. when stopped in traffic for instance?
    Mac:

No, she runs fine except for restarts. Her cold starting is fine, and she runs great at all times, other than those few seconds after a restart.

I have already bought some Champions. Did that at lunch just a short while ago.

Thanks, Mac.

Tom
    Everything sounds good, except the V-6. Our good old 4.0L inline 6 is a perfect engine for trail use. It has tons of torque at idle RPM. You can ease the clutch out without any throttle. That's a VERY nice feature on the trails.

I like the modular top idea. Thank God they are staying with solid axles and removeable doors!

I guess an owner of the 07 will have to use a hand throttle or grow an extra leg. :(

Tom
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Huh. Well, we'll see more next week. Not sure I like the look of the new fenders but not as bad as I feared.
    No, she runs fine except for restarts. Her cold starting is fine, and she runs great at all times, other than those few seconds after a restart.

At least you can keep mobile. Make sure to put a little anti-seize on the threads before you install them. Make removal so much easier next time.
    Do you think the problems I had and the one Tom is experiencing have any connection to the recall we have been hearing about?

It's possible, if it turns out to be an O² sensor problem. I think the main thrust of the recall concerns faulty catalytic converters though.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Nice find....i like the new look and would not mind getting the 4 door version for the family although the deletion of the inline 6 is a real shame...great engine with a long life and easy to work on.....
    Mac:

I'm with ya on the anti-seize, if I can ever get the old plugs out. WOW! Those things are IN THERE!

I'm afraid to use too much torque, because I sure don't want to break one of the old plugs off.

OK, Jeep Buds, whup your suggestions on me for loosening those old plugs. I have sprayed them with PB Blaster about three times now. I plan to do that some more. What else?

Would those old plugs come out easier with the engine warm or cold?

I've been using a 3/8" drive power handle with an extension on the socket. I have a 5/8" spark plug socket, but it has no foam rubber inside it. Do I dare go to a 1/2" drive power handle and get the extra leverage due to its greater length compared to the 3/8" power handle?

HELP!

Tomster
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try removing them after you have brought your engine up to operating termperature (after you turn the engine off, of course!). Thermal expansion of the head may be enough to loosen the plugs.

tidester, host
    The PB Blaster will need several hours to penetrate. By all means try with the engine warm, though that usually works better on an engine with an aluminum head.

Go to a 1/2" drive as it will allow you more control as well as more leverage. When the plug starts to turn, stop, then re-tighten it a little. Repeat the process, loosening and tightening, until the plug is removed. Don't try to remove it in one go as it's easy to end up stripping the thread that way. If you have an airline handy, use a blow gun to clear any debris from around the base of the plug before you start, then do it again just before the plug finally comes loose.
    Ok. Mission accomplished.

I am just now reading the replies, and I see that you recommended the half inch drive, Mac. That's what I used, and that's what did the trick. I also used a honking big extension, about 18". Couldn't use that on #6, but was able to use it on the others.

I just made sure I was applying the torque exactly along the axis of the plug, so that I didn't break one off. It was actually pretty easy when I put the right tools to use.

I applied some anti-seize on the new plugs before installing them, and I also used some dielectric grease on the top end of the plugs where the boot slips over them.

I was given Champion RC12PEC5 plugs when I asked for spark plugs for an 01 Wrangler with the 4.0L engine. Well, the original plugs were Champion RC12ECC's. I found out that the new plugs were platinum, and I was told that they would work. I thought I remembered reading on another forum that people had bad experiences with platinum plugs in their Jeeps, and I found some posts to that effect when I checked. So, I bought some standard RC12ECC plugs and will take the others back to the auto parts store where I bought them. Champion is changing the part numbers, and it got confusing. The part number that shows up on the auto parts computer is 3034 (platinum) or 438 (the standard plug). The boxes have both numbers on them, 3034 and RC12PEC5 (platinum), and 438 and 12RCECC (standard), but the plugs themselves have only the RC numbers.

Now here is the ripoff of the century, and I cannot believe that people actually buy the stuff!!! Prestone antifreeze was $9.89 per gallon at the Autozone that I went to today to get the right plugs. But, they also had it already conveniently mixed 50/50 with water for $8.39 per gallon. ARE PEOPLE REALLY THAT DUMB????? Must be, because the guy that helped me said he has pointed out to people that they are getting ripped off, and they insist on buying the pre-mixed stuff anyway.

Tomster

P.S. I'm no expert on spark plugs, but the ones that I took out looked OK to me. The electrodes were still there, the gap looked about right, and there were no deposits on the tips.
    ARE PEOPLE REALLY THAT DUMB?????

Yup.......not only that but lazy too, which is why it sells. Did you buy some of the concentrated stuff? Make sure to use distilled water to mix it with if you did.

Did you check the plug gaps? They're normally ok, but sometimes I find side electrode is set to one side or the other, which shortens the life of the plug even if the gap remains ok.
    Didn't stop at the store for distilled water, Mac, but I'm not doing the coolant changeout today anyway.

I checked the gap, Mac, and the plugs all seemed to be OK. Didn't really check the position of the center electrode, but I think I would have noticed if one had been off very much.

I left the battery disco'd the whole time I was working on Thelma Jane, and that cleared that MIL code. Maybe she won't misfire any more, and that code won't come back.

Tom
    Maybe she won't misfire any more, and that code won't come back.

Fingers crossed!
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Tom,

I would have never imagined Thelma Jane missing a spark plug change. ;-) I don't believe I have ever met another soul (besides myself) that loves his Jeep so much! Though,I must confess, I have not named my Rubicon---well I do call her Rubi, and after seeing the 07s I'm glad I bought her when I did, though maybe the new ones will grow on me a little, particularly the 4 door models.

On another note, our 04 Grand Cherokee is about to hit 36K and we've had more problems with her than I care to count. Btw, none of them related to the 70K powertrain warranty. But I still like her, so I guess we'll keep her a while longer. I've knocked out the diff fluid changes, but I need to do the transfer case and the auto tranny fluid in the coming month as well as the spark plugs!
    does Thelma Jane run any better.

Terry
    Terry:

All I have done so far is just start her up and let her run a couple minutes. I have not tried one of those "warm" restarts that have been the problem.

I really don't expect to see any difference. Those old plugs looked awfully good to me.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jee today?
    I've been trying with no avail to remove the bumper ends, or bumperettes, as you folks have been describing. Problem is, some of the torx heads seem to be stripped, or the bolts themselves seem to be broken; a combination of the two have resulted in only two screws/bolts removed (none of the bumperettes can be removed). Some of them turn, but will not come out, so I assume that they are broken? There is also at least one stripped one. Anyone have any advice as to how I can now remove the bumperettes? Any help is, and always is, greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan
    Ryan:

Try drilling them out. That should do the job on the ones with the head stripped, but the ones that have the threads stripped and turn freely might be another matter. You might need to use a punch and knock those puppies out.

Tom
    Yep, got them (the front ones) off. I cut the head off with a hack saw, then drilled/tapped (with hammer)the stem out. They came off pretty easy after the stem was shortened/removed (whichever happended!), and I really like the look of my jeep without them. For know, I'm gonna keep the back ones on as they seem as though they may offer some protection off road if something ever jumps up (rock, log, etc.) after I pass through it. However, thanks for your response, Tom.
  • coug2coug2 Member Posts: 34
    Hi Folks -

I'm considering a used jeep wrangler so I can have some fun/midlife crisis and my daughter can drive to school (2 miles) and around town. Both my wife and daughter are small, however, so I want the depowered airbags. Any idea when Jeep starting depowering airbags?

Thanks.
    I think the first year depowered airbags were available on Wranglers was 2000. Edmunds doesn't list information for depowered ones in prior years that I can find.

Some generic details here:

The Evolution of Front Airbags

What Type of Front Airbags Does My Car Have?

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve -

I had started at Edmunds and thought that I would need a 2000 or newer b/c that's when they first list it. Intellichoice, however, lists depowered airbags in 1998.

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/100004446/type/us- ed/year/1998/make/Jeep/model/Wrangler

That seems pretty early (thanks for the evolution of airbags article). Is there anyone out there with a 1998 that knows? Or is willing to take a quick look at their manual regarding the airbags? Anything about "second generation" or "next generation" or "depowered" airbags?

Thanks in advance.
    The Wrangler TJ was introduced as having 'next generation' airbags. First model year was '97, though a few were released in late '96.

Although there was nothing intrinsically wrong with the '97s, there were various changes made through to '98 as feedback was received. Airbags notwithstanding, I'd recommend look for something from '98.5 model year onward. This will also get you the later vacuum/electric HVAC controls.
    Thanks Mac24 -

How can you tell if a 98 is 98 or 98.5 - by the HVAC controls?

Also, any input on the 4 vs. 6 cyl? This would be a strickly on-road car - just want the 4wd for winter, the top down for summer and the overall fun factor.

thanks
    Yup, earlier models had sliders, later ones are rotary.

The lesser power of the 2.5 I4 is actually less noticable off road than on. Fuel consumption is about the same, but on road performance is much superior with the 4.0 I6. I've never heard of anyone with the 4.0 wishing they'd gone for the 2.5.
    Thanks for the input guys. Any input on hard top versus softtop? I'd at least want to get the doors with the roll up windows, but if its mainly a around town car, do i need the hardtop (and have to deal with finding a place for it in my garage when not in use)?

Is the softtop relatively secure? I assume with the hard top I could leave golf clubs in it...I assume I couldn't do that with the soft top. Although in golf season is when the top would be down anyways...

What about soft top and a parking sticker? Is it secure enough for my parking sticker (which has to be portable to my other car. Or could someone just unsnap it and pull out my sticker?

Thanks again...I appreciate the input.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Hard top vs. soft top is strictly a personal preference. I have one of each (soft top Unlimited and hard top Sport) and they both have their good points and bad points. The soft top is a bit louder than the hard top - the Unlimited is over-all quieter than the Sport but the soft top lets in more traffic noise than the hard top.

There is NO security with the soft top - it has zippers so anyone can obtain access to it. I just hope that the person who breaks into mine notices the zippers and doesn't cut the top (the normal thing that happens). Best suggestion is to not leave anything in it. As far as parking sticker - we leave ours in the vehicle all the time and have never had a problem. How valuable is your parking?
    The 98 Sport has a switch to turn off the air bag if you have a child in the front (mine has sliders so it is a 98 rather than a 98.5).
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I need to see some auto show pics before I make any real judgements, but it looks pretty "mean". I'm also real curious to see the 4 door version. I'm skeptical.

-Dan
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Mine were in there pretty tight too when I changed them this summer. The dealership in San Diego had replaced them last time when I had the new coil put in. Big long extensions definitely helped leverage-wise. Are you replacing the wires also?
    Went to the LA Auto Show this past weekend and saw the new Toyota 'Cruiser (can't remember the initials before it). My other half didn't like it at all, but I thought it might cut into Wrangler sales quite a bit. They had one set up for an off-road trip and I noticed that the way they had the winch set up was interesting. It was behind the grille and there was a hole in the grille for the cable. I could think of several advantages and disadvantages to that type of set-up (main disadvantage being access, main advantage being protection). What do others think?
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Any difference in the 2007 Wrangler interior? How was the overall show? Thanks, John
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Toyotas are the FJ.

Here's another 2007 Wrangler article from a pretty cool Jeep site.

http://jweb.jrations.com/07wrglr/07wrglr_index.php

-Paul
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'm debating replacing the Wrangler with a slightly larger four door SUV and the only two current vehicles I'm considering are the FJ Cruiser and the Xterra Off Road. They have serious off road ability and are still fun to drive. I lean toward the Xterra due to the ample power as well as the standard Bilsteins and locking rear diff-not to mention the fact that the FJ will probably be a hot new model, resulting in additional dealer mark-ups. The new Wrangler four door will definitely be a player should I decide to postpone my decision.
    "Toyota aggressively prices the FJ Cruiser between the Jeep Wrangler and the Hummer H3." Inside Line

There's more talk about it in the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4X4 discussion.

Steve, Host
    No wires, Scott. I have distributorless ignition.

Tomster