Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Excellent! You're the first official poster mentioning the upcoming competition I mentioned a few months ago. XTerra (which won the SUV of the year in MT), the new FJ (which I think is brilliant), and the new Wrangler, which had to be redesigned to compete with those two. Also, the Ford Bronco concept from last year would compete in this arena, if sales in the segment warrant Ford going ahead and building it. Last but not least, the H3, which is a little too expensive and silly for this group, but it does go after the same market. And, it's decent on the dirt.

Personally, I've been through 3 (yes, I'm loyal or a masochist, whatever) of the inline sixes. The first was the 258 in my 89, then two 4.0's. While they do hold together, you must remember the original 232 it was based on is basically a tractor motor. It was never designed to run quiet at high rpm's on the highway, or be economical. I think the 3.8 will be a positive thing (...awaits thunderclap...). I use this Jeep much differently than my others, and most of it is, unfortunately, on pavement. More quiet, better stereo, better ride would be great.
    While I wanted these items last year, I wasn't willing to give up "Jeepness", so I stayed with a Jeep rather than an Xterra. I admit, the lack of four doors is a pain when you have kids. The 15 mpg is hard to justify when you don't work for Exxon.
    A new Jeep in 07 that's this good, with a possible electric disconnect for the sway bar from the factory! Well, they might just get my business again right away. Wouldn't it be great to go wheeling with a group of Wranglers, Xterra's, and FJ's? Just a thought.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    "Wouldn't it be great to go wheeling with a group of Wranglers, Xterra's, and FJ's? Just a thought."

Drewmeister:

If Xterra's and FJ's went wheelin', they would have to have some Wranglers along. Otherwise, who would pull them out? ;)

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Unfortunately, Jeep did not have the new Wrangler there - as usual, they introduced it at the Detroit show (they do that every year). I read the article about the new Wrangler and it seemed like Jeep has addressed a couple of my complaints with the more recent Wranglers - if the sloping front end allows for a mpg or so more, then I'll take the slope. And if the V6 will hold up as well as the current I6 and get better gas mileage, that's OK in my book, too.

The biggest thing they've added that I'll look at is the seat height adjustment. I'm hoping that they've also gone more "middle of the road" for their seats - the Unlimited's seats are built for bigger people and aren't as comfortable for me as the '98 is. I've stayed with using a cushion when I drive, because the back fits better when I'm an inch or too higher, something that getting seat risers wouldn't address (and besides, my other half prefers the Unlimited's seats).

The show was fun, it always is. We didn't spend much time looking at the exotic cars - too many people by that time. I was disappointed the new Jeep wasn't there, but was interested to see how much competition there is now for the Wrangler - for quite some time there wasn't much except for the H1, which is in a class of its own. I have never liked the H2, but think that the H3 is cute. I'd seriously consider it, but it is still out of my price range.

One of the things I noticed about the Xterra - it's rated about the same or worse for gas mileage than the Wrangler. It's very nice, but I still prefer the Wrangler.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    From the specs given, the new model has a 2" greater wheelbase, but about the same length. Maybe 5-6" wider which shows up in the hip and shoulder room specs. But only 0.1" better legroom. Will have to wait and see about low end torque of the V6. My 4.0L will climb my driveway (30 foot rise in 200 foot length) in 4Low without having to put my foot on the gas. Also interesting to see how all that plastic in the fenders holds up with snow and ice loading at -20F.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "the car itself is more powerful, loaded with standard safety features and looks good."

Karl on Cars

and

Jeep Wrangler a "Smash" in Detroit (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    "From the specs given, the new model has a 2" greater wheelbase."

Well, there goes a little breakover angle, but probably not a whole lot for just two inches additional wheelbase.

Maybe 5-6" wider which shows up in the hip and shoulder room specs.

Now THAT could be a problem for some of the places I go. I can just barely squeeze through certain spots as it is now. How much of that is wider track, and how much is just overall vehicle width? The wider track could actually help me in some spots. Heck, it might even tempt me to get back into Buttpucker Gulch. :)

You can see from the picture below that a little wider track would be beneficial in Buttpucker Gulch. The second picture shows how slight the margin for error is. If you could see the drivers side, you would be able to tell that I could not take a line any farther to the passenger side, or else I would have slipped down into the gully on the drivers side. I believe BP Gulch won that day, and that right rear tire did slip down into the gully. So, I SHOULD have been just a hair further to the passenger side, maybe one inch. That's how close you cut it going through BP Gulch.

This is also a good place to demonstrate the need for a nice, slow crawl speed. You HAVE to go extremely slow, but you don't want to have to be in and out with the clutch all the time. This would be a place where a Rubicon would shine, with its 4:1 transfer case low range ratio vs. a standard Wrangler transfer case low range ratio of 2.72:1. Tire size and differential gearing come into play here too. The combination of high rear end gearing (numerically lower ratio) and oversize tires makes the crawl speed way too fast. That's why I so strongly recommend the 3.73 gearing over the 3.07 gearing. In this respect, the Rubicon has the additional advantage of 4.10 gearing in the differentials.

Tom
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    From the link Steve gave above, the increase in track is 3.5". The rest of the width is probably in the wheel and tire size changes. Breakover decreases about 1 degree with the 16" wheels. Another issue may be how to deactivate the now standard, roll mitigation, anti-skid, etc. when off-roading.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    more pics, including some interior shots.
    Can't wait until the NY Auto show. Get a nice close up of it.

http://media.freep.com/autoshow/2006/07jeepWrangler/index.htm

-Dan
    Has anybody heard any details about the top? Looks like it has multiple pieces?

-Dan
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hi jeepers, hope you guys havent forgot about good ole bamatazz. Im still around. Still have TAZZ too. 44,000 miles on him now. Still doing riding along no major problems except for that Engine light not wanting to stay off. But I did get 31X10.5 tires this past year. I also installed a new stereo system too.
    Still not letting him get dirty, thats a no no. I know im breaking your heart TOM.

Keep Jeepin
    Bama tazz
    Roll tide! :shades:
    Just found the answer to my question. Comes in 3 pieces. That sounds a whole lot easier to install and store.

Here's a spec sheet for the 2007 from Jeep.com
    http://www.jeep.com/07wrangler/features/full-specifications.pdf

-Dan
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Here's a spec sheet for the 2007 from Jeep.com
    http://www.jeep.com/07wrangler/features/full-specifications.pdf

Now that makes interesting reading!
    Hey Tazz, I thought of you today (BBQ sauce was the sample giveaway at the food coop today, lol). There's another member here from Tuscaloosa or thereabouts that you should look out for.

Everyone, there's also a 2007 Wrangler Replacement discussion that has some more recent links posted.

Steve, Host
    Now, who are you again??? :D

Boy, why did you disappear on us for so long? Everyone doing alright?

Good to hear from you, Terry. Hope you'll be sticking around.

Tom
  • cwdobbercwdobber Member Posts: 12
    Are those power windows in the pictures of the full doors??? Interesting!!!
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Hey, bamatazz! Great to hear from you - was wondering if you were still hanging in there. So you have a grand total of 44,000 miles on TAZZ - it seems like so long ago that I saw that number on either one of our Wranglers (still have to do something about plugs and wires for the 60,000 mile servicing on GiGi). It's nice that you are still enjoying your non-dirty, special 60th Anniversary Wrangler.

Steve - thanks for posting the links. I loved the way Jeep introduced it. The only thing I wish is that they'd have it at the LA Auto show - I always have to wait until it comes out (on the other hand, we get to be the first to see such things as any new Lambourgini or Ferrari or other sports cars).
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Are those power windows in the pictures of the full doors??? Interesting!!!

As I understand it, the doors are still removable thanks to a quick-disconnect harness socket at each door. I bet those suckers will be heavy, though...
    Think that was sugar glass Mtngal?

I keep waiting for one of y'all to tell Karl that it's a JEEP, not a car. :-)

Steve, Host
    Tom,
    Probably told you this before, but I love the way that Jeep looks. I used to work for a Dodge dealer next to the Jeep dealership, (where I bought my first 89) and I always hated the "postals"...they used to order a bunch in plain red and plain white, no carpet, no rear seat, 4-cyl and stick, tiny wheels and tires as well, and no air. In OKLAHOMA. Soft top. I guess it was the OU student packages. They were cheap (12k$?). In looking at yours, I sometimes think I should have gone with white again. My XJ was an ex-security jeep, and I swear they painted it with appliance white. I could go right through brush (not that I would... :P ) and it never left a scratch on it. My dad had the "olive"-ish green on his, and it scratched from five feet away. And, all the black accessories looked great on white paint. I know Jeeps aren't about looks, but I just think yours is well-done. Just a basic bumper and winch (been seeing a bunch of huge bull-bars lately). Tires big enough without having to have 35's just to wheel.
    I've only been out once in mine all year, and already broke the strap out for an Explorer. He'd been there awhile before I came along. If you don't know how deep the mud is, your Firestone all-terrains are not the way to experiment...
  • corpustj02corpustj02 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a full frame lighbar and was wonder where the best place to run the wires inside the cab would be. The bar mounts to the hinge bolts, but does this mean i must drill a hole into the body of my Jeep? or is there a better way? :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hey, Bama! Welcome back. There is just no excuse for not visiting more often. :)

tidester, host
    Drewmeister:

Thanks for the compliments on Thelma Jane. You caused her to blush. :D

Yep, she is set up real well, I think. She has enough mods to be pretty darn capable on the trails, but she is still very much street-worthy.

I don't think I will ever want to go with more lift or bigger tires. I might replace the current 2" Procomp lift with a 2" OME lift, which can give close to 3" of actual lift, but I wouldn't go up any on tire size.

Now you just can't have a Jeep and not spend money on it, of course, so I will be looking at on board air as my next mod, most likely. Another possibility is Rhino-lining the floorboard and cargo area. See, there are some really good ways to spend money on your Jeep without making it more off-road capable.

One very important thing to consider in building up your Jeep is just how capable you really want it to be, considering where you will be wheelin' it. If you live near some really extreme wheelin' areas, then you would probably build your Jeep to the hilt. But, if you are like me and can only go places that have moderate wheelin' terrain, then you don't want to overdo it on the Jeep and take the challenge out of your wheelin'. A lot of the fun obstacles that I run now would be boring with 35" tires or bigger. Also, I can go places now that a taller Jeep would not be able to go.

Tom
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Looks like both power windows and door locks. I put those on my 01 Sahara, and that has been the main reason I never upgraded to the Rubi - it took all day to install the systems and it was a hassle. The 07 looks like a winner to me - V6 and all. I will probably wait for an 08 so they can work some of the kinks out.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I think they did a good job overall styling-wise. I had been all prepared for non-removable doors, and was having a hard time imagining how you could improve on the TJ's exterior styling, but they handled it with aplomb. The grill reminds me of some of the early CJ-5s. The hard top and doors remind me of the early Ford Broncos, and I like the removable panels, especially because you can leave the front ones in and have a hard bikini top. I guess the V6 has been holding up with the Liberty though like everyone else I can't easily wrap my head around the end of the I6. So I guess there will be no 4-cylinder option?
    ..........I can't easily wrap my head around the end of the I6.

The biggest difference will be noticed by those with a manual transmission. The torque multiplication effect of a torque converter will negate the low rpm torque difference between the I6 and the V6.

I've not yet seen mention of which transmission and t/c will be used, except that a manual will be available for export on the diesel only, as will the diesel engine itself.........shame!

Change is inevitable and I think they could have done a lot worse styling wise. However, I'd question the advisability of mounting the fog lights in the front bumper, and to me the new hardtop gives it the appearance of a Honda Element.
  • bobcat82bobcat82 Member Posts: 13
    Tom,

I was thinking about the power window option for my Rubicon. Door locks, too.

Would you mind sharing what you did and where from? I figure it will take a day or so for me to do the installation, but since I have another DD, no problem.

Thanks.

Art...
  • chiefusnchiefusn Member Posts: 20
    Wrangler V6....NOT the V6 from the liberty. That engine is derived from the 4.7 V8...SOHC....3.7 liter.
    The wrangler V6 is from the Pacifica/Minivan family....3.8
    liter....pushrods and all.

Chief
  • chiefusnchiefusn Member Posts: 20
    Forgot to add.....Ain't nuttin' wrong with pushrods.

Chief
    ps....some of my best friends are pushrods
    2006 Detroit Auto Show

There's video of the new Wrangler and the breaking the glass window photos are fun too.

Steve, Host
    Mike:

So, do you think the low RPM torque of that 3.8 V-6 will be comparable to that of the good old 4.0 L inline 6? I sure hope so.

I am somewhat reassured by the pushrods, too. I associate overhead cams with high revving little engines. For wheelin' a guy wants lots of power at idle RPM.

Tom
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Great Video. I really like the look of the new wrangler.....wonder what they would give me on a trade-in of my 05 rubicon unlimited....lol....i want one...especially the 4 door for the family...
    ......wonder what they would give me on a trade-in of my 05 rubicon unlimited....lol....i want one...

While it's always nice to be the first on the block, try to remember that huge improvements, both in build quality and design, come after they've been building them for eighteen months or so.
    I think it would have to be better. One would imagine that the 3.7 was probably the first choice. After all, I'd imagine that you could essentially transfer the existing engine management, transmission, and axle setup (minus the IFS, but even the Liberty's IFS uses a D30 center section) straight over from the KJ. Even vehicle weight isn't all that different. With such a common powertrain being discarded, there must have been some advantage in taking a motor designed for a transverse fwd application and adapting it. After all, as demonstrated by the existing I6, Jeep do love commonality across it's line (the same engine used to power everything from the FJ wagoneer to the trucks to the XJ, YJ, TJ, LJ, and finally WJ Grand Cherokee). Adding an entirely new engine to the Jeep lineup doesn't happen that often. I hope they explain why they made that choice.

Also, diesel for export only? What a horrible decision. I would think a diesel Rubicon capable of getting mid-twenties would be an untouchable segment-buster. About the only thing most of us are unhappy with was mileage to begin with. I hope that's not true...
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Mac, I think I read that the manual tranny will be a carry over from the current one. Also, I belive the New Venture transfer case from the Rubicon will also carry over.
    According to UPS. Now to go home and install it! iPod capability at last...
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    As promised, here are some pics of my 97tj; first, when I first bought it 8 months ago, then with the new tires, rims, AND centre caps! The fender flares have really come around with STEADY use of Mother's Back to Black; it didn't happen overnight. Anyways, enjoy!
    Sorry guys and gals, clearly I am having difficulty posting pictures! Can someone help!!?
    Ryan:

It looks like you were trying to post pictures that are hosted on photobucket.com, right?

Just get the URL from photobucket for the picture you want to post. Under your picture there should be URL, TAG, and IMG. Highlight and copy the contents of the URL box.

Then just click on "Img" in the tool bar here in Edmunds, paste the URL, then hit "close all."

See if that works for ya.

Tom
    I really apologize for my ignorance here; glad to see they're coming through with the links (however small), and I apologize if they're coming in too large and mess up the screen.

Nevertheless, someone can help me (feel free!)so in the future I won't have too much, if any trouble.

Well, there she is. Still nameless...any ideas?

Ryan
    Link's are probably better since a couple of those pics would skew the page width otherwise. :-)

Steve, Host
    You're correct, as usual, Tom (shocking, lol). Exactly what you said, only I didn't hit the 'close all' button. Oh well, I think everyone can see the photos one way or another now, just let me know if you can't. I don't wanna waste any more space.

How do my fellow jeep enthusiasts like 'er?

Ryan
    Ryan:

She looks great! That all black color scheme looks awesome. I think you did the right thing by going with the blackwalls out.

Nice lookin' rig, Ryan.

Tom
    Thanks, Tom. I know what you mean when you said Ol' Thelma was blushing earlier!

Yeah, I'm glad I went with the blackwalls out. However, if I had YOUR jeep, I'd def. go whitewall out. I think it matches Thelma perfectly.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Thanks for the nice welcome back.. I glad to see you guys havent forgot about me.
    To me the 07 wrangler looks great, I noticed they got the idea of the tweeter speakers on the dash that would help the sound quality alot. I notices they have regular door handles on the outside.
    I thin the sleek new look will do welll. Anyone know when they will be available to sell?
    I agree with the earlier post, About waiting till the 08' model to get all the kinks out.
    I will try to get pic of TAZZ up soon.

Keep Jeepin'
    Roll Tide
    Bama :shades:
    I love the PIE adaptor, I have one in my Rubi and our Grand Cherokee. Great for XM Radio as well as Ipod.
    That is one cool looking Jeep. Love the black.
    Mac, I think I read that the manual tranny will be a carry over from the current one. Also, I belive the New Venture transfer case from the Rubicon will also carry over.

Thanks, I was just going by the interesting but rather limited information on Jeep.com.

EDIT: Much more detailed information now available here: JeepNewsNow.com.
    What kind of XM radio adapter do you use? That's my next acquisition goal (regular stations gettin pretty bad around here unless you only listen to classic rock). Took a quick look last time I was in Circuit City, saw a few different models. Does it use the same 1/8 inch plug?
    Thanks