Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Anyone know where I can find detailed information about TSBs. Is the only option to pay for the information?

I was wanting to know more information about service bulletin number 1801201. I can't get a generic scan tool to work and my Jeep can not get inspected using the OBD connection.

Thanks.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I was wanting to know more information about service bulletin number 1801201.

A simple search produced the following:

1801201 - GENERIC SCAN TOOL (GST)
    Date: 05/25/01

Model year(s): 1999-2002

Description:THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES WITH OBDII (ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS, 2ND GENERATION) AND COMPETITIVE MAKES WITH OBD

Details: Generic Scan Tool (GST), Publication No. 81-170-00008, is being provided with this Technical Service Bulletin to provide reference information when using Generic Scan Tool on OBDII vehicles.

The Chrysler Group’s Generic Scan Tool support was released in 1997 and until DRBIIIT Release 50.00 (June, 2000) resided within each software release of DRBIIIT Standalone code. Since release 50.00 Generic Scan Tool support software has migrated to the SuperCard2 PCMCIA card part number CH8361.

This software has been updated. Additional support has been added.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Soft top is an option, they even still have the half doors as option, which surprised me.
    ...they even still have the half doors as option....

And even though the soft top isn't shown in the publicity pics, the half doors are.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    "I was wanting to know more information about service bulletin number 1801201.

A simple search produced the following:

1801201 - GENERIC SCAN TOOL (GST)
    Date: 05/25/01

Model year(s): 1999-2002

Description:THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES WITH OBDII (ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS, 2ND GENERATION) AND COMPETITIVE MAKES WITH OBD

Details: Generic Scan Tool (GST), Publication No. 81-170-00008, is being provided with this Technical Service Bulletin to provide reference information when using Generic Scan Tool on OBDII vehicles.

The Chrysler Group’s Generic Scan Tool support was released in 1997 and until DRBIIIT Release 50.00 (June, 2000) resided within each software release of DRBIIIT Standalone code. Since release 50.00 Generic Scan Tool support software has migrated to the SuperCard2 PCMCIA card part number CH8361.

This software has been updated. Additional support has been added."

Well that certainly clears things right up, huh?
    Well that certainly clears things right up, huh?

I do hope so! :shades:
  • steph1023steph1023 Member Posts: 1
    I'm on the brink of purchasing an older model, preferably 97-01 jeep wrangler, definitely the 4 cylinder version. The only thing holding me back is the gas mileage, how good is it? My previous car was a Mitsubishi Lancer, and I'm just concerned with exactly how much more gas it will consume, and how many mpg it will get. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    If gas mileage is a concern then I don't really see a Wrangler in your future. Expect anywhere between 14 and 18 mpg, depending on type of transmission and axle ratio and of course, the way it's driven. There's little difference between the four and six cylinder models as the four has to work a lot harder.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I guess the inspection machines and scan tools need a certain version of software to work. Has anyone else had this problem or even heard of anyone else having this problem?
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I was rotating my tires on my wrangler when the brother in law stopped by and said he would give me a hand...and with him that means he will do it...so i let him while i did some other chores. Well he finished and we were to run up to the store, however, he forgot to tighten the front driver side wheel which sheered off two lugs...oh what fun...so i put the tire on and put the jeep in the garage...i dont have the time or money right now to get it repaired. I then got out my 98 grand cherokee and took off...right when it hit 100K it started shooting steam up and water was pouring from the radiator area....hmmmm....it really happened at 100K i almost laughed at this like it was they Y2K or something, lol...anyway until i can get these repaired im driving an Envoy...its ok....but i miss my jeeps...... :cry:
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and the Discount tire by my home charges for tire rotations and to plug tires. Now i know it was once free and i used the service but was told they had a liability issue and now are charging for the service...this is for tires not purchased at their store...i think its still free if the tires were purchased from them...
    I use a Gemini Tire Store, there it's free if you bought them there, and they charge you the first time on tires that you didn't buy there and it's free after that. Same with balancing, pay for it once and that's it.
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    I am trying to decide on a new set of tires. I have a 2" lift on my Sahara. I'm looking at the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM and the Firestone Destination M/T. What do you think of these choices? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Greg
  • birdjaguarbirdjaguar Member Posts: 15
    My 4 banger gets almost 25 mpg on the highway, and they are cheaper to buy then the 6 cyl jeeps. Oil change can be cheaper, too.
    Of course, it's not even close to the Honda hybrid cars w/ 50 mpg; but there are few things better than cruising in a jeep w/ the top down on a summer day...AC/DC blasting from the radio (Hells Bells!!!)...I can hardly wait... :D
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Greg,

I recently bought 5 bfg mt's, and I LOVE THEM!!!

While I've only had them for two weeks, I am very pleased with my decision. If you research the tires, you will often hear that they are not that great in wet/slippery conditions, but I have driven in heavy rain, snow, slush and freezing rain (yes, all in two weeks ;) ), and have had no problems whatsoever (sadly, no mud yet :( ) The tires are a little louder than a normal passenger tire, but if I was concerned with noise, I likely would not be a jeep owner. Additionally, these tires are arguably the best looking on the market, and are supposed to be very durable.
    Tom's had his for quite a while, so perhaps he'll chirp in with some of his own experiences; he's very knowledgeable, and will give you his HONEST opinion, which will weigh more than mine considering I've only had them two weeks. Nonetheless, I am very glad I went the BFG MT route.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Do you see the guy waving in your rear view mirror? Is he gaining?

Karl on Cars

Here's a comparision topic to talk about the pros and cons:

"Toyota FJ Cruiser vs. Jeep Wrangler"

Steve, Host
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    I have experience similar to birdjaguar - around 24 mpg highway also with a 4 cylinder 2.5L OHV motor and manual transmission in my 1995 YJ Wrangler SE (same as the 4 cylinder motor in the 97-2003 TJ). I drive conservatively - the 2.5 L likes to turn 2,500 rpm which translates to about 58 MPH with the standard 4.10:1 axle ratios - plenty fast enough for a short wheelbase (SWB) Jeep. (Remember, the original WWII MB jeep maximum speed was 60 MPH.)

The difference between 20 mpg (most jeeps) and 30 mpg (Lancer or similar sedan) amounts to only 17 gallons per 1,000 miles (50 gal @ 20 mpg vs. 33 gal. @ 30 mpg) which would cost about $50/1,000 miles (or a nickel per mile) if gas were $3.00/gallon. The difference in gas cost should not deter you.

And you may enjoy your ride in the jeep much more than any other vehicle you have driven. You should ask Tom - before Thelma Jane, he would get bored with his ride after only a year and trade it in. Now (is it 4 years later?) he still likes his TJ. I have the same feeling for my YJ. There is no other vehicle that is more fun to drive slowly. All other vehicles are boring appliances - efficient but soulless. Jeeps are very mechanical - they remind you continuously of the connection between human and machine. You experience the trip and not just the desire to reach the destination.

The Jeep thing is a little hard to explain - drive a TJ for a while to see if you like it - then decide whether to take the plunge or not. Whichever way you decide, good luck.
    ......20 mpg (most jeeps)

I'm sorry, but I really have to disagree with you there.

Not even DC claims that!
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I got 20 mpg on a trip I took to deliver a piano to my in-laws in Modesto. That was during the first week after I purchased it. I have not seen that number since. Keep in mind that Jeep calibrates it speedometer to read faster then you are really going (mine was about 4+ MPH). Which I believe gives you a more optimistic fuel economy. :cry:
    Keep in mind that Jeep calibrates it speedometer to read faster then you are really going (mine was about 4+ MPH).

Which is just one of the reasons why I'll never call someone on their personal mileage claim. However, anyone purchasing an SE with the expectation of a consistent real 25mpg is likely to be disappointed.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Greg,

You will find that the choice of tires depends on personal preference and what you plan to do. Out in California, I ran BFG AT/KO's and they did great for that terrain. I'm in Alabama now and wheel in Kentucky and this mud here turns my AT's into racing slicks. My plans are for Mud Terrains. I've been considering BFG MT's, Firestone Destination M/T's, and the Bridgestone Dueller MT's.

If you are only driving it on the road, the AT's would probably last longer and end up being quieter. My AT's have about 18,000 miles on them and are still very quiet - considering I drive w/o doors or top when I can and I AM driving a brick on wheels.

31" tires would look nice on a 2" lift. That is what Tom (tsjay) has and his Jeep looks (and runs great) both on an offroad.

Given your choices (which I just reread), you might want to look at tirerack.com and see how they compare in each area. The Destinations actually rate quite well, so it may just boil down to price.

Keep in mind, if you are swapping tires, you need to really purchase 5 tires so your spare is the matching size.

-Paul
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Another popular choice, although I have never seen them mentioned here, is the Trxus MT's. As I look to go to 33's, my own online research suggests that many folks who have had these and BFG's really prefer the Trxus. While they don't seem to wear quite as well, they are apparently MUCH quieter than most other MT's. And, they seem to perform well in mud, snow and rocks and have a lot of siping in the lugs. Here is a link:
    Trxus MT's

Any real world feedback on these tires?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    They are also a pain to balance properly. I've seen multiple reports of people having to get them balanced multiple times.

-Paul
    YJBob:

It was five years ago that I took delivery on Thelma Jane. She was a factory order, and she arrived at the dealership on December 8, 2000. I took off early that day, after getting the call from the dealership to inform me that "Thelma Jane" had arrived. They knew that I was calling her Thelma Jane, so the salesman used her name when he told me she was in.

And you are absolutely correct. In the past, I would buy a new vehicle that I was so hopped up over, but after the first six months, I would be dying to buy something else. Thelma Jane cured me of that. I am not the least bit interested in trading her for ANYTHING.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Am I the only one not that impressed with the looks of the new FJ? Karl might be dead on with his review and his statement that the FJ is more capable than the Wrangler, BUT I couldn't see loving the looks of it years down the road, the same way I do my Wrangler. I think Tom says it best:
    "In the past, I would buy a new vehicle that I was so hopped up over, but after the first six months, I would be dying to buy something else. Thelma Jane cured me of that. I am not the least bit interested in trading her for ANYTHING"
    I have been extremely satisfied with the performance of my BFG Muds on the trails. The give excellent traction.

Their weakness in offroading is their thin sidewalls, which can be ripped by a sharp rock or a sharp tree root (ask me how I know).

I have had two sets of BFG Muds on Thelma Jane, but because of the sidewall issue, I might be tempted to consider something else next time. (MIGHT. But, will probably end up with BFG Muds again.)

Tom
    It was four months ago, September 19, 2005, that I said goodbye to my soulmate and best friend, Ross Allen.

I still cry almost every day over him. The last three days, I have cried in my office at work for short periods.

Look what a wonderful, kind artist lady in Australia made for me after visiting Ross Allen's website! She is a pet artist by trade, and she made this for me free of charge, just because she was so touched by Ross Allen's website.

By the way, Hank is doing fine, and we are becoming very good friends. That doen't keep me from grieving over Ross Allen, but at least he does bring some joy into my life.

Tom

Ross Allen's website..

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/
  • angierangier Member Posts: 1
    I just got diagnosed with a cracked manifold on my 97 Jeep TJ 4.0L and they are going to charge me $850+. That may be because I am a girl. But I am reading these forums & hear that it can crack again. I am on a tight budget & worried about this happening again. My Jeep runs very poorly right now if I take it on the freeway and I need to get this fixed very soon. Any advice? :cry:
    It's a common problem. So common that there's a thriving market in manufacturing aftermarket manifolds, which are replicas of the one brought out by DC to solve the cracking problem.

With a delivered price of less than $80, and a lifetime warranty, they're a sensible alternative to the original. Here's a pic and a link, just have a local independent shop fit it for you.

91-99 Manifold
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    (ask me how I know).

Um, how do you know this? ;)

tidester, host
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    seriously? They calibrate the speedometer incorrectly from the factory? So went I went from the stock 215s to my current 30" tires, I'm probably closer to an accurate speedometer now? If this affect the odometers too, wouldn't that be illegal, showing incorrect mileage?

Your mileage will be "bad" with a Jeep. End of story. If you get 20mpg out of a tank on occasion, you'll be doing a jig by the pump.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    It's not because you're a girl, I'm a guy who knew exactly what the problem was and was also quoted b/w $700-$1000 for this repair by various shops, generally split equally parts/labor. I got it fixed for a little over $300 this summer and it's been running fine ever since. See post #19086 here--I bought the replacement on ebay for about$150(I don't know anything about Mac's source, but the 1aautomotive people sell a good part with a lifetime guarantee) and had it installed by a local tuner-type kid for $160 in his own garage. He was happy, I was happy, everyone was happy except the muffler shops.
    seriously? They calibrate the speedometer incorrectly from the factory?.........If this affect the odometers too, wouldn't that be illegal, showing incorrect mileage?

Yes, seriously! It affects the odometer as well, but I don't know what the legal situation is. I'd guess that a certain percentage of latitude is allowed, probably to take into account that the rolling radius of tires that are nominally the same size can often differ.

For the vehicle manufacturer, to have the speedometer reading fast is a win/win situation. It keeps the customer happy as the vehicle appears to be going faster than it really is, and it also appears to be achieving a better gas mileage than is actually the case.

The manufacturer also benefits from have having the warranty mileage expire early. Not much on each vehicle, but spread over the total number of vehicles produced it becomes a substantial saving. A secondary benefit of having it read high is that the manufacturer can't be sued by customers who unwittingly qualified for speeding tickets!
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    Thanks to everyone for the info. I have heard that the Good Year MT have very thick side walls, may want to check into that.
    Good Year MTRs, and yes, they have 3 ply sidewalls, which are very tough, which is why they're on the Rubicon. I have also read how they're not great on the snow, or wet street, but I haven't experienced it. I think they're great, and will most likely buy another set after mine wear out.
    Yes, MT/Rs are one tough tire. I have them as standard fitment in a 37 x 12.5 on my other vehicle. I've never used them in thick snow or ice, but can vouch for them on most other surfaces including wet pavement.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Sorry for the double post, but I'm in a bind. My '01 Sport 4.0 manual is stuck at the supermarket because the ignition will not turn, with either the spare key I started with OR the 'original' key. I tried every trick (pushed the ignition lock lever, which hasn't functioned correctly in a year or two, in and out, pushed the clutch all the way in, changed gears, wiggled the now locked steering column, even pushed the vehicle itself to see if it would 'work its way out') to no avail. Now not only am I likely to have to pay fairly big bucks to have it fixed (out of warranty, of course), but I have to summon a tow truck (naturally, we're getting a blizzard as we speak, so the tow should take forever and cost a small fortune as well). Anyone else experience this? I have in the past on other (very old) vehicles, but not on a four-and-a-half year-old car with 55k, this is ridiculous. Must admit, it's the first time it's stranded me, though. Anyone know what this might be and how much it'll cost? Any suggestions or things I'm missing?
  • rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    Greetings,

I purchased some diamond plate rocker covers off a unlimited rubicon. I want to install them on my non rubicon unlimited. Here are my questions,

It looks like I have to drill holes in the body to mount the covers there, are there any tips out there on drilling into the body? I have ordered the 6 bolts for each side but was wondering, on the underside are the bolts already there that are used for mounting or do I have to drill holes and purchase bolts as well? I also have factory running boards installed, will they have to be removed permantly? Thanks for the help.

Here's my $.02 on the BFG M/T I just traded my BFG A/T for the M/T and couldn't be happier rain,slush,mud, they are awesome.
    I hope you got home ok. Hopefully it will just be a faulty lock/switch. It may even be the lock barrel which is independently replaceable. However, if it's a fault in any part of the mechanism that's a part of the column itself, then it becomes a bigger problem as the column has to be replaced.

I have to say that complaining that your Jeep broke down after four and a half years and 55K seems a little harsh, Especially as it let you know for the last year or two that it had a problem. ;)

Anyhow, good luck, it's no fun being stranded! :sick:
    After you make your initial punch for the drill, I'd cover each spot with masking tape to prevent the paint from flaking off while you're drilling. I'd also use some silicone or paint to coat the holes before putting the screws in.

Have you thought about using a gasket between the rocker and the body? I'm not sure about the underside, but the factory steps should still fit fine.

BTW, don't count on the rocker guards to provide much protection. They're a lot better than nothing, but they're by no means hard core.
  • rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks keats,

The rockers came with the gaskets. Thanks for the drilling tips. Still looking for advice on the underside.

rp
    As most of you probably know, the front and rear lockers in a Rubicon will only function in 4L. It would be very helpful for me to have the work in 4H because I do some sand hills, etc. and would benefit from more tire speed than I can get with the ultra-low 4L gearing in the Rubicon t-case. The new JP magazine describes how to ground one of the wires behind the locker switch to "trick" the lockers into working in either 2H or 4H. Any potential mechanical or warranty issues I should be aware of before making this simple mod? Thanks!

Mark
    That restriction was made more for liability reasons than anything else. Mechanical damage is unlikely unless you go too fast, but do remember that steering is more limited with the front locked.

Warranty issues with the drivetrain are likely if the dealer knows what you've done.
    Mark, I know several folks on another forum that have done this with no ill effects.
    Thanks Mac and Keats for the feedback, I'm going to make the mod. If I need to have any warranty work done I can easily reverse/remove the wiring change. I understand the DCJ logic of trying to avoid having drivers lock the diff's in a high traction situation which could lead to drivetrain disaster or worse. But, there are many offroad situations where wheel speed is critical, and the Rubicon's combination of 4:1 t-case, 4.11 gearing and 31" tires make it impossible to get those babies turing very fast in 4L. With that said, I'm sure that if fast spinning wheels on locked diff's suddening grabbed something solid they could explode a drivetrain. Thanks again!

Mark
  • 06tj4banger06tj4banger Member Posts: 39
    Tom,

That is a great picture. It's nice to know that other people truly care!

-Rob (fellow dog lover)
    Rob:

The "real thing" got put in the mail this AM. It's coming all the way from Australia, so it will be a few days in getting here, I guess.

I know I will cherish that portrait as long as I live.

You gonna make the big gathering at Turkey Bay the weekend of February 18th and 19th?

Tom
  • 06tj4banger06tj4banger Member Posts: 39
    Tom,

I don't know if I can make it or not. Typically, we are busy from now until spring and there is mandatory OT, but layoffs were just announced so I don't know what is going to happen. Hopefully, I'll get to go.

-Rob
  • nausetnauset Member Posts: 2
    Mac24,

I need to replace my exhaust manifold on my '97 Wrangler Sport. I've had no problem finding one online, but I am having a problem finding a mechanic who will quote me on what the install will cost. What should this labor/install cost? Can you suggest how I find a mechanic willing to do this? Any mechanics you know of that will do this in/around the Boston, MA area? Thanks!

-Nauset
    Hi Nauset, and welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler.

I know you directed your question to Mac, but he must be away from the computer for a while. He always answers questions for folks.

I wish you luck in finding someone to do the work for you. Remember, the lowest price is not always the best deal. Find someone with a good reputation, someone who is known to stand behind his work.

Tom