Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• Options
    stumpf2000stumpf2000 Member Posts: 23
    Hahahah...that is good to know where you are coming from! The simpsons reference helped a lot! Can you direct me to info on what we know about upcoming design changes in the Libby?
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I sat in the KIA Sorrento and the fit and finish were very nice. I've read some lukewarm reviews about its capabilities. Forget about taking it offroad (unless you bring a tow truck). It also was shown on Dateline to have very poor bumpers. Hyundai is a strong financial company and KIA is NOT going anywhere soon. Hyundai sales are strong and the car business is just a small portion of their portfolio. If offroad prowness is not of a concern and you just want AWD, the KIA may be the "car" for you.
  • Options
    meyerlevinmeyerlevin Member Posts: 15
    Since this is my first SUV,I am concerned about the possibility of rollover since this car has a rather high point of gravity.I'm being a little timid in taking corners and curves only because I have this car about two weeks. I like to drive more on the agressive side but don't know how far I can safely push this Liberty. Any advice or info you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks, Martin
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I sat in the KIA Sorrento and the fit and finish were very nice. I've read some lukewarm reviews about its capabilities. Forget about taking it offroad (unless you bring a tow truck). It also was shown on Dateline to have very poor bumpers. Hyundai is a strong financial company and KIA is NOT going anywhere soon. Hyundai sales are strong and the car business is just a small portion of their portfolio. If offroad prowness is not of a concern and you just want AWD, the KIA may be the "car" for you.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    not down if you use the correct spelling of the web sight.
    Buying a new vehicle based on favorable depreciation projections makes little sense because you're gonna lose your [non-permissible content removed] no matter what you buy. Make sure what's left of your posterior is singing a happy tune for as long as possible in the seat you choose. Narrow your choices by feel and emotion before you get too clinical. Then, once you think you've got it, start crunching the numbers to get the best deal. If all you want is transportation, buy used. Buying new makes little sense but that's what makes it fun. Ain't it a great world!
    And PS to Renegaded, thanks for the link in your post you dog.
  • Options
    spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    Don't be reluctant to push the Liberty-It's not a sports car but it will run with any SUV you will find on the pavement.Find an open dirt area and drive it hard in both 2 and 4wd. Get sideways and use your right foot to keep it there,spin some donuts.What happens on dirt or ice and snow happens on pavement at higher speeds.The Liberty will surprise you with it's capabilities.The auto mag.people who rolled one must have been real idiots.Enjoy-it's a great vehicle and little by little the hard core Jeepers are beginning to see its potential.
  • Options
    If it did;it was,I'm sure, driver error.The fatal mistake if the driver got out of shape was to slam on the brakes.If all else fails-GAS IT!!!!
  • Options
    I'd also like to see all young riders begin on the dirt,fall a few times,then we might not see so many of them on 150 mph crotchrockets wearing only shorts and flipflops.Sorry to hear of your problems;we traded a 2002 Trailblazer on our Liberty because of many electrical problems and the spector of the alloy engine pulling a Vega blowup.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I instruct at high performance driving/safety schools from time to time; for the classroom sessions we assume that the beginning students know NOTHING about vehicle dynamics-and that is ALWAYS a safe assumption. Weight transfer? "Huh?" The friction circle? "I don't think my car has one." Trailing throttle oversteer? "What's that?"
    And these are people who are usually the most informed with regards to automobiles.
    And as for the bare-headed bermuda-wearing Ninja riders? Don't worry about them; just let the Law of Natural Selection take it's course...
  • Options
    Agreed.It's like the person who went to the dealership and stated that the 710 cap was missing from the engine.
  • Options
    I've been associated with the Pikes Peak Hillclimb for many years and it's a thing of beauty to watch them thunder down a straight with a 1000 foot drop on the side,downshift,tap the brakes,have the rear drift out to the edge and then power through the switchback turn sideways.Awesome!!!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Five, Four, Five, Five:

NCAP

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Wow! I'd like to see that sometime. I don't like guardrails TOO close to the track, but I sure as heck want one between me and 1000 feet straight down.
  • Options
    and roll me over.Who cares; the Liberty is a tank.
  • Options
    npower06npower06 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my second Liberty. It is a stud vehicle and I always enjoy driving it. Gas mileage could be better, but I didn't buy it for economy!
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    I love my VW TDI. The only way I would ever think of getting an SUV wou;d be if it were a diesel. When is the diesel Liberty due?
  • Options
    It's more a crossover vehicle than a real SUV, but the Touareg with the turbo diesel V10 sounds like a sweetheart; it even has a low range as well as diff locks.
  • Options
    elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Tomorrow I will have the tires on my 2003 Liberty rotated for the first time ( about 8k miles ).

My question is: Should I make sure they do a five tire rotation ?

If yes, should the unused tire on the back go on the right rear, where the drive tire is used the most ?

One dealer said a 5 tire rotation is not usually done & costs more to do. Dealer #2 said they would do it for no extra charge, but again, it sounded like that is not what they normally do.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    My wife lost one set of keys to our Liberty.

The Jeep has remote keyless entry.

I called the dealer & they say about $100 to replace the key & remote, PLUS time to program them.

Anyone have a cheaper way to get another set ?

Thanks in advance-

Also, 8k update-

Liberty runs GREAT in the snow. I use 4wd high as needed...great to just pull the lever up for part-time 4wd.

It still PIGS on gas...about 15-16mpg in the cold weather...even with a K & N air filter installed.

I have factory Goodyear tires which are OK so far.

It still runs SLOW in 4wd while going in reverse...not sure if that is typical for 4wd or not
  • Options
    mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    Check eBay for a remote. The should only be a few $ - no electronics in this key.

If you can't find a remote post a message here.

Mark
  • Options
    I have the basic key & the dealer just cut me a new one for $3.

Just did the 5 tire rotation, oil change & added winter wiper blades. The tech said tire pressure was set @ 33lbs.

Asked him & the service counter guy about the ball joint recall. Both said basically the same thing..if it applies to my Liberty, I will get a card in the mail.

In & out in an hour, at the price I expected. Much better experience than the 2 hours I waited for an oil change at the dealer where I bought the truck. This dealer is closer to work.

Still would love to improve gas mileage...wondering if a switch to 89 octane is worth a try ?
  • Options
    I am ordering the tow hooks for my Liberty. The parts come with bolts and brackets but will I have to drill out the frame? Is this a big job or a fairly straight forward procedure?
    Installation options include:
    1. Coercing my adult son under the vehicle to do the work.
    2. Taking the parts to a qualified local off- road garage or auto body shop.
    3. Having the dealer do the work.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    vermontgirlvermontgirl Member Posts: 11
    I am living in Vermont and I have a long driveway. You need 4wd to get up it. I have 5 dogs and the combined weight is 400lbs. I would carry them with me at all times. (well most of the time) I have a 2wd truck at this point and I need an upgrade. What I am asking is there anyone out there that has one in VT? any suggestions?
    I drive dirt roads daily too.
  • Options
    You said you had a Plymouth Sundance in a previous post. I had a 92 [the red turd]--kept it 10 years and 115,000 miles. I'd like to swap a few lies with you as per but the Plymouth postings are defunct. Too bad-so sad.
  • Options
    dustbucketdustbucket Member Posts: 4
    Vermont Girl, I would test drive one on your roads. chrysler is in the process of buying my Liberty back, due to the amount of dirt that leaked into the cabin. After one trip on 6 miles of dirt roads, you could write your name anywhere inside the vehicle. The dealership gave me a loaner one time, and it leaked real bad too. Other than that, I have had no complaints about the Liberty.
  • Options
    installed front and back. Cost $236 parts and labor. Somehow I got something called a corporate discount on the labor---saved $47. I think the service writer was distracted when he figured my bill. Seems they were sending a 99 Alero to a GM dealership to have a new engine installed. The owner had bought it used from a DC lot and opted for the Chrysler extended warranty.He chose wisely. It was going to cost $5000 and the car was only worth $5500 but they were still going to have it done. He said he could drop a new short block in my Liberty for $3500. I asked how many of them they did a week and he just smiled.
    Off to the deli to get three ring bolognies to hang on the tow hooks.
  • Options
    coastie007coastie007 Member Posts: 33
    and i was wondering if there have been major problems with the liberty so far as they have had with the jeep grand cherokee? I have noticed in the forums alot of disgruntal JGC owners, i am worried about jeeps now in general b/c of this and want to know, has anyone had problems, major or minor that seem to be repetitive in other liberties? Any input would be apreciated, i would plan auto trans, 4wd, both a must, most likely a limited or renegade model if i can find one used at a good price.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a source for 16" white steel wheels that would fit my 03 Liberty? I've been bouncing around the web without much success.
  • Options
    coastie007coastie007 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated
  • Options
    assistance. I'm not messing around with anything remotely related to the suspension.
  • Options
    auburn94auburn94 Member Posts: 9
    Hi All-- I'll be in the market for a new ride next year at this time, so I was wondering what the buzz is on the 2005 Liberty? Any major changes coming? Thanks!
  • Options
    frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I have had the Liberty since September now. Gas mileage seems to be getting better, the ride is good.

My family loves it, nice ride easy to park.

We have had weather here and it has handled great.

No big issues, when the small ones have happened the dealer has been great.

One thing I wish is that my 03 had the little black piece on the back window. This would eliminate the finger prints on the back glass.

Frank
  • Options
    renolibertyrenoliberty Member Posts: 12
    That little black piece can be purchased from your local Jeep parts dept. for about $12 and applied to your window. It is stuck on with self adhesive. Very easy to apply.
  • Options
    You deserved it---how could I possibly predict that a benign good-hearted comment from me would provide you with a means to generate venom and rage. That's an interesting forum.
    I read with great amusement your post about driving with your computer on coming home from A.C. I have enough to do just keeping my cursor on track. It would make a great episode on the Simpsons.
  • Options
    I'd still like to listen to an audio of you and Travelin' Hal.
    Your posts are sprinkled with great wit especially when you stir the pot. Someone always bites and as they say "That's Entertainment". Your fondness for fishing serves you well in these forums.
  • Options
    oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    I've been catching up on my reading on the Liberty board tonight. My '02 Liberty Sport 3.7L auto w/PT 4WD will be 2 years young next month, and is still going strong. Other than a problem with the ignition coil on a couple of the plugs very early in it's life, there has not been problem 1 with this vehicle. I was driving it yesterday to a local mall and commented to my wife that I love my Liberty as much today as the day I picked it up. I will say, however, that when it comes to MPG... this thing is a PIG - when I'm lucky I average about 13 MPG around town - short stop and go driving. Highway, when I manage to drive on one, get up to 18 to 20 MPG. A small price to pay for the combination of comfort, handling and foul weather security.
    One question.... I've read the stories (several months ago) about the pending recall for ball joints. I use the Liberty every summer to travel from Long Island to the lower Catskill mountains(about 150 miles each way) at 60 to 70 MPH, and really would not like a failure on such a trip. Does anybody have any idea when DC will get around to mailng out the recall notices???
  • Options
    gemini56gemini56 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone own or know someone who owns a 5 speed manual transmission 3.7 V6 Liberty? If so, are you/they happy with it? I waS very impressed with it on a test drive and the light khaki exterior color was terrific. Was initially surprised the Liberty is avoiding seemingly endless reliability problems of the Grand Cherokee.
    There has been an occasional mention of some decontenting on the Liberty, anybody know of this?
  • Options
    I've had my 02 Liberty for just shy of 2 years, and to date the only problem I've had was one trip on the hook because I had misfires because of bad plug coils. I've only got 27K so far, but I love the Liberty as much today as the day I picked it up. I just had a 27K service today (I change oil every 3K miles) and asked about the ball joint recall - the dealership ran out of lower ball joints this morning (the cashier/accts. receivables clerk's company Liberty used the last set in stock) but they ordered me a new set that will be installed when they come in, in the next few days.
  • Options
    I know just what you mean. I still haven't gotten any written notification of the recall - I simply mentioned it when my service writer was taking my information for an every 3K mile service. I have no indication of any problems. The front end is tight and there is no noise that I can hear over bumps. I drove Fords in the early 70's and I am very familiar with the sound of squeaky ball joints - it was epidemic in those cars, especially the Mavericks (remember them???) So I just mention the recall, and the next thing I know I'm getting a call at my office with an apology that they were fresh out of parts, and would it be a problem to either leave the truck or bring it back. It seems that the dealer is just replacing the lower ball joints in any vehicle where the owner expresses any concern. And yet..... where are the recall notices?????
  • Options
    dsoulliedsoullie Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed a couple of posts regarding the 16 x 7 Mechanica rims, standard on the Limited Edition. Nothing recently however.
    I went to the dealership for the 3rd time to address this issue (previously they sent 2 rims out to be "fixed" - temp solution). My Liberty is an '02, purchased in '01. FINALLY, they went so far as to replace all 5 rims :) No charge. BUT, they gave me my old centre caps. >:-| After more bitching, I got 5 new caps. HOWEVER, in 2 years I'll be back to square one. With corroded rims. I'm almost certain that I saw an '04 with different caps, but can't find a dealer to confirm a p/n. If I find them, I will be purchasing them, as I believe the reason for the pitting is due to these caps (water retention). Anyone out there experiencing this?
  • Options
    So you say they named the Maverick after you. I would have bet it was the Rambler.And speaking of smiley faces, have you been to other forums where they have all kinds of cute little symbols sprinkled throughout the discussions? What's with that?
  • Options
    I didn't realize there was no key lock on the passenger door. My owner satisfaction survey score continues to slip. Still haven't recieved the D.C. initial survey.
    The alarm works differently on my Concorde. If you set off the panic siren, you have to insert the key in the door and turn to disengage. On the Jeep, you just hit the panic button again.
    I noticed on the NHTSA site that people were complaining that the jack in the Jeep wouldn't raise the vehicle high enough to change the tire. Have you checked yours? I'm thinking that a couple of pieces of bubble wrapped 2X6s jammed in the spare tire well might be a prudent course of action. They're still building homes in my neighborhood and I know I'm gonna pick up a nail.
  • Options
    I was surfing and found the info about the lower ball joint recall...

Make : JEEP Model : LIBERTY Year : 2002
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V460000 Recall Date : NOV 04, 2003
    Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 336000
    Summary:
     ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS CAN EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION THAT CAN LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR, AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE.
    Consequence:
     A BALL JOINT THATHAS SEPARATED FROM THE KNUCKLE COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF VEHICLE DIRECTIONAL CONTROL AND COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
     DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS WITH MODIFIED ASSEMBLIES AND HEAT SHIELDS ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN JANUARY 2, 2001 AND OCTOBER 4, 2002. ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN OCTOBER 5, 2002 AND MARCH 26, 2003, DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLIES (AND REPLACE THEM AS NECESSARY) AND INSTALL HEAT SHIELDS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 15, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-992-1997.
    Notes:
     DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. C36. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Gee whiz.... only 336,000 Libertys affected!
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    How can you make shure your tires won't go out of balance? And how do you clean the rims later when you install new tires? Latex is not easely dissolved by solvants. Many people tried injecting foam in slow leaking tires, and experienced serious problems such as non vulcanizing patches.
  • Options
    When I did my tire rotation, I noticed that all my wheel nuts had cracked the laquer on the aluminium rims. So I put Molykote grease, it's like 'Never-Seeze', on the tapered seats and threads. It's very good for the winter season: the salt doesn't corrode the exposed aluminium.
    Another trick is to use liquid teflon around the center cap of the rim. This has no color and it's good for life.
  • Options
    arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Can someone fill me in on what tires come stock on the Liberty? Both on the normal 2004 Limited model, and with the Off Road Package. Thanks...
  • Options
    http://www.goodyear.fr/services/tyreguide/feat_wrangler_s4.html

This is the tire we have on all Jeep Libertys (gas + diesel) over here. It's unfortunately not easely available in Europe, but is a very good compromise. It's quiet, ribbed on the sides and sufficient for climbing hills with 6 inches of snow. According to local 4x4 clubs, the #1 alternative is the BF Goodrich A/T, but it's rubber is too hard to give a good grip in the rain or snow. Professionals (gas, electricity, firemen) prefer the Michelin in bad weather.
    I test drove a 3 door Nissan Terrano with BFG A/T tires, ant it rode like a wheelbarrow.
  • Options
    Before you close on your new home Renegaded, consider hiring a qualified independent home inspector to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. It runs two to three hundred dollars here in the States but it's well worth it.You get a 5 or 6 page report to share with the builder.He'll be most appreciative. We get a year warranty on pretty much everything but some problems get overlooked in the excitement of the moment. Kinda like when you first put your hands on the wheel of that shiney new Liberty.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, my neighbor has an 02 with 90K and had absolutely no problems. V-6 selectrac automatic Limited. Never recieved a recall notice on ball joints and got 70K miles on the original Goodyears. Never changed plugs or trans-diff. fluids but did change oil/filter every 5K. Will trade it this fall. Still look's great.
  • Options
    is as designed and marketed.Tough ,reliable and considering it's design parameters quite sophisicated.Sohc V-6,now all wheel disc brakes,super strong unibody construction and good towing capacity.Aftermarket parts are becoming more and more available for those who wish to modify(see the L.O.S.T.KJ website).We traded in a 2002 Trailblazer;best move we've ever done.