Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• Options
    davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    So what's the story on this version? I cant find any info on the jeep site, and the only info I've found on the web refers to the freedom version from last year. (rocky mountain was the canadian name for this version, "red river" was the other international name. I also cant seem to find any photos of this version anywhere. So thus far the only info i've found is on edmunds-- new cars. Can anyone help me out on this?
  • Options
    yogi29035yogi29035 Member Posts: 16
    I'm in the market for a new ride in '05 & I'm considering Renegade with f.t. AWD... all weather capability is my top priority, not necessarily off-road. Anyone know if there are upgrades scheduled for the 05 model year?

BTW, I'm shopping it against the RAV4 and a Subaru WRX wagon... anyone care to talk me into buying the Jeep? My mind is open, and you all know more about the Liberty than I do.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I have a 03 Limited and am very happy with it so far. About 6000 miles. My suggestion would be to take a thorough test drive in all your possible choices. I think you will find Toyota and Subaru somewhat different from each other but kind of car like in how they drive. There probably is not a lot of movement from sticker in buying.
    After driving the above, take a test drive in a Liberty. Very different experience from either. It's very truck-like but in a refined solid package. Lots of room to deal. Find someone that works for Daimler-Chrysler and they can get you a green sheet # that will get you a price well under sticker or look at the Edmunds pricing to compare what constitutes a good deal.
    I drove several vehicles before I drove the Liberty and the choice was easy for me. It rang my chimes plain and simple. My wife loves it as well. Getting behind the wheel of one will answer your questions about making a good choice for you. Have fun and choose wisely but rely on your own instincts and needs.
  • Options
    jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Yes, the factory tells us the 05 will be "refreshed" (exterior treatment)...and, of course, available in a diesel.
  • Options
    enid360enid360 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone!
    I'm considering getting a liberty, but I have a few questions for you if you could spare me a second. Right now I'm driving a Suzuki Grand Vitara. It feels very top heavy and narrow, I've already had one wreck in the snowy/ice conditions (going 14mph) we get here in PA, and many close calls, even in light rain.
    How sturdy does the liberty feel to you. Have you had any sliding or slipping that you couldn't contribute to speeding or breaking too fast? Have you had any nervous periods where you felt like you were losing control of the vehicle because of wind, snow, ice or rain? Any help you could offer would be great… I'm still nervous driving after my accident, and I'm looking to get something much more secure!

Thanks!
    Kelly
  • Options
    renegaderrenegader Member Posts: 73
    I tried and would say, Grand Vitara is more stable then Liberty. When I drove Liberty first, I was very nervous and it took some weeks till I inured on to it.

The difference between car and Liberty is the same, as you would sail the ship on the deck (car) or on the top of mast(Liberty).

That way I removed my seasick in two years with Liberty.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Did you ever think a feature in your car (door lock mechanism, etc) was malfunctioning when in fact it was working the way it was designed? If so, a reporter wants to hear the story. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with some details of the situation, your name and daytime phone number by Thursday July 8, 2004.
    Thanks for your consideration!

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    dicnic1dicnic1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for what us RVers call a "Toad" or "Towed", a vehicle that will be towed behind a MotorHome. When arriving at a campsite, the "Toad" will be disconnected and use for driving around the local area. Also, the "Toad" will be used as my errand vehicle and "go to the bowling alley" vehicle.

I have been considering the Liberty as it has a 4WD transfer case with a NEUTRAL position in it which, if I understand it correctly, effectively disconnects the engine from the drivetrain.

Folks tell me that they can pull a Liberty by simply placing the transfer case in N, putting the transmission selector in Park, put the ignition switch in the first position (to unlock the steering wheel) and go, with NO worries.

With the CR-V, one has to run the engine every few hundred miles, moving the gear selector through the gears to lubricate the transmission.

Any information/thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I realize this is a peculiar reason for buying a 4WD vehicle with a real transfer case but it fits my need in a way that almost no other vehicles do.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
  • Options
    wgorillawgorilla Member Posts: 20
    So I go into the dealership today for my 12,000 mile maintenance and they want $169 for changing the transmission fluid! I'm like "say WHAT???". The service writer quickly said,"well, you can wait until 24k to get that done" after asking me if I off-road (I don't) and that I'm not 4WD. From what I recall (and this is on a Honda Civic many years ago with a MANUAL transmission), its drain, plug and refill, right? Isn't it somewhat the same with an automatic Liberty? We all know dealerships charge a mint compared to other shops, but isn't $169 way too much?

Anybody know if there is a Chilton or Chilton-like manual for the Jeep Liberty? I couldn't find one doing a quick search and fear that they haven't come out yet. I'm thinking of doing some of the odds and ends maintenance myself, and I'd rather not "work without a net" as they say.

Appreciate it.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yes, $169 sounds high. My local BMW dealer only charged $110 to change the ATF and synthetic final drive oil on my 528i. Sheesh!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for what the factory recommends be done (and when) - plus it estimates what the maintenance should cost.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    wgorillawgorilla Member Posts: 20
    Thanks, Steve. That was helpful. If anybody can suggest a good independent shop in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that they've taken their Jeep to, please let me know. I'd appreciate it. I had an excellent indie shop for my Honda, and I miss giving my business to someone who does quality work at 1/2 to 3/4 of what dealers charge. Unfortunately, all they work on is Hondas/Acuras and the occasional stray Toyota. I'll stick with my dealer on oil changes, tire rotation, etc. since they are less than 2 minutes from my house.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    by popular demand.
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Just wanted to show everybody my Libby. :-) I have had it a little over a month now, and love it.

• Options
    berg1berg1 Member Posts: 2
    i have seen several refrences to shifting hesitation. mine is a 04 3.7 litre 5 speed manual.i had hesitation in all gears around 1200 to 1500 rpm. i complained and returned to the dealer many times before he found a service bulletin from around june 10th referring to my problem. a computer update cured it to almost perfect and i am now satisfied. i also get a constant 20mpg.in general driving. very pleased with the car.
  • Options
    winokurwinokur Member Posts: 1
    Do not take it to Grubbs Chrysler Dealer on 183. They sold me a brand new Jeep Liberty on Sep, 2004. The car was in the shop 5 times within the next 42 days and they never fixed it. I'm in the process of dealing with Chrysler to get a replacement.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    at some point I am looking to come out of my very old 4Runner, back when they were still covered versions of the Toyota pick-up. Very trucklike 4x4, which is to say rugged and primitive (but it DOES have auto-locking hubs). The ride is ship-like on the road, and the acceleration is SLOW. However, a real truck is still what I want, and the Nissan XTerra seems to be the only BOF truck similar to it today. Needless to say, the modern 4Runner has gone the way of mommy-mobiles everywhere, it's huge, it's over-luxed, and it's overpriced.

How would the Liberty compare? I built a Renegade 4x4 6-speed on the website with the part-time Command-Trac and the 3.7, and the price seemed OK after cash back. But it is not BOF, it has this "unitized, incorporated frame thingy". Car mags seem to have been duly impressed. I know Jeep claims big cred for its "trail rated" 4x4s - Rubicon this and that. So is it really all that? And will I need my warranty a lot with this vehicle? Ideally, I would like to keep it well beyond the warranty period. winokur: what was the problem with yours?

This replacement is not imminent, I am thinking about it for some time in the next year or so. Since most of the things I do with my truck (going skiing, offroading, etc) CANNOT be done on a test drive, I was hoping to hear some stories here. I see this is a quiet thread...please, please can you help out? :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I love my 03 LTD but would not be happy to have only the command trac option. It's too limited in usage and my Liberty is very prone to spin the rear tires in two wheel drive. Whether a little damp or some loose gravel it's very touchy. In full time select trac it's awesome and solid in just about all conditions. Looked at the xterra and it only has the part time system. Not for me.
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    I drove my 03 Liberty diesel in snow and on dry ice last winter with the Goodyear tires that came with it. The Selec-Trac transfer case was perfect to get me out of trouble while I was really looking for it! The only recommendation I could give is to rapidly get back into permanent 4WD as soon as the truck is moving. For emergency braking when the ABS takes over, I find the stopping distance is shorter when in neutral gear. The combination of part-time 4WD and ABS is tricky, specially on dry ice.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    The wife and I are looking for her next vehicle, and we recently test drove the Jeep Liberty ('05 model year, Limited). What I'm looking for are honest opinions from current Liberty owners.

Specifically, would like to know:

--> what do you specifically like about the Liberty?

--> what do you wish was different?

--> opinions about the part-time 4WD vs. the full-time 4WD (Selec-Trac?)

Our test drive was pretty short (<10 minutes) so we didn't get much of a chance to really determine if it is the right vehicle for us, although the wife really liked it.

We're also looking at the Saturn VUE AWD V6, the Subaru Outback XT Limited and the Hyundai Santa Fe LX. We've owned SUV's in the past (Expedition and Explorer), so we're not new to the genre.

Thanks in advance for all replys.
  • Options
    Man, Michaell, I really wish I could help you, considering how much you helped me here on this site in the past (cough..car for teenager..cough), but the Liberty was such a perfect match for me. I'll try though.

1. The Liberty has a large greenhouse. Visibility is very good, even when backing up. The spare tire doesn't get in the way. It's visible, but does not obstruct much of the view. Engine power is decent. Not a powerhouse, but not horribly underpowered. I'd have to say 0-60 is somewhere in the 10 second range... not that I have tried. ;-) Steering is wonderfully easy. Makes it very easy to drive. Headroom is abundant! 4WD shifter is easy to use. Wipers are effective, not too fast, not too slow. Headlights are bright. Mirrors are big.

2. I wish the steering wheel was a bit thicker, and the leather wasn't so dry feeling. The seats in my Sport aren't the best ever, either. The Limited has much better seats. Also, it's a Jeep. I would want tow hooks and at least some skid plates as standard equipment, no matter the trim level or engine choice. I don't have either. I've heard my sister complain about a lack of front leg room. It doesn't bother me. The stock Goodyear Wrangler STs suck. The tires on the Limited may be better, but these things don't have much grip. I made them break loose in a parking lot before, under light acceleration while making a turn. No good in rain either. I also felt them slipping in a 2" mudhole when offroad. No grip anywhere. Time for some decent all-terrains! :-)

3. You'll get several varying opinions about 4WD systems. The Command-Trac (part time) is only supposed to be used on surfaces that allow the front wheels to slip (Off-Road, Snow, etc). It's easy to shift, so even on patchy roads, it shouldn't be a hassle to change. See Jeep.com for an explanation of their systems, and come to a conclusion.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    Getting ready to purchase an 02 Liberty Sport. It has only 20,000 miles. I had it checked by my mechanic friend and he says it looks great - brakes look good, alignment is good, tires still have a lot of life left. Very clean. The price is right in line (actually a little less) than what Edmunds lists as the dealer selling price (TMV). So it seems like a really good deal. I am a little leery of reading message boards because sometimes there are what appear to be a lot of complaints that may only reflect a minority opinion, but I have taken that into consideration. A couple of the problems I read here have me a little concerned, though, especially since this will be used primarily by my teenage daughter.

1. Skidding on wet roads. How many have this problem? Is it related to driving style?

2. Gas mileage. I have read where people are only getting 13 mpg or thereabouts. I drive a V-8 Sequoia that gets better mileage than that and I was counting on something that would do a little better.
  • Options
    The skidding on wet roads is related to the bad tires that Jeep puts on stock. Both the Wrangler ST and SRA have this problem. Slap on some decent tires, and all will be well.
  • Options
    We bought the Liberty last Friday. So far so good. I am not sure if the tires are the originals. They look new, but the vehicle has only 20,000 miles. I can't remember the brand of tire. What is the brand of the stock tires Jeep uses that are no good?

I discovered the recall notice below on the '02 Liberty while doing my research (copied from the NHTSA site). I called the number listed and found out that this repair has already been done to our Libery (confirmed by the CarFax report I purchased). Could this be what contributed to the skidding that is reported?

Make: JEEP
    Model: LIBERTY
    Type: ANY
    Year: 2002
    Recall Number: 03V460000
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS CAN EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION THAT CAN LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR, AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE.
    Consequence:
    A BALL JOINT THATHAS SEPARATED FROM THE KNUCKLE COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF VEHICLE DIRECTIONAL CONTROL AND COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS WITH MODIFIED ASSEMBLIES AND HEAT SHIELDS ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN JANUARY 2, 2001 AND OCTOBER 4, 2002. ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN OCTOBER 5, 2002 AND MARCH 26, 2003, DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLIES (AND REPLACE THEM AS NECESSARY) AND INSTALL HEAT SHIELDS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 15, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-992-1997.
    Notes:
    DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. C36. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION&#146;S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • Options
    golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    I am considering buying a Liberty Sport for my soon to be 16 year old daughter. The safety ratings seem fairly good with the exception of the problems I have heard about skidding due to lack of ABS. I understand it is a $600 option on a new one and I have yet to find a used one with ABS. Also there are no new ones with ABS on any of the 5 lots we have looked at so far. To get a Liberty with ABS we would have to order it and wait 10 to 16 weeks. Knowing how a 16 year old will probably drive and without a doubt get in a situation on wet roads needing to stop fast, lack of ABS concerns me. Could you share your experiences with me concerning lack of ABS on the Liberty? Thanks
  • Options
    joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I'm considering a 2005 Liberty. Has the new model been reviewed in any car/truck magazines recently?
  • Options
    joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    also, are there any Liberty owners who used to have a Nissan Pathfinder? I currently have a 2001 LE 4x4 Pathfinder. I'm looking for something new and don't really want the size or expense of the new Pathfinder but do want to stay with a 4wd SUV. Has anyone made a similar change or have some experiance with both vehicles?
  • Options
    If your buying the Liberty for your daughter, then order it and get the ABS and the side air bags. Selec trac too. I had to look far and wide to find my 03 equipped with both. The dealers don't stock them. They find people want upgraded wheels and trailer hitches instead. Give your daughter every edge in on road safety.
  • Options
    We just bought a 2002 Liberty for our 16 yr old daughter a week and half ago. The one we got came with ABS. If you are not in a hurry and you want to buy used, you may want to take your time and see if one comes on the market in your area. I used the Used Cars link here at Edmunds that links to Autotraders. You can do searches for specific vehicles within a specified radius of your zip code. The Liberty's seem to move fairly quickly off the lots (at least they do in my area) so you may need to act quickly if you find one you like.
  • Options
    sailingmysticsailingmystic Member Posts: 11
    Hi Michael,
    I've owned my Liberty now for 6 months and I'm thrilled with it! I am active and well- haven't started a family yet- but my friends like the safety of it for their children (safety seat modifications/built in roll bars, etc.).
    I use mine as a work horse. I tow a sailboat, and use it for bikes to kayaks. It has exceeded my expectations when it comes to space and weight. Although it is heavier and has more cubic inch cargo space than the Jeep Charokee- it doesn't ride like some heavy SUVs. It moves fast!
    The pick up is excellent so far from all gear settings. I have used the part-time 4 wheel drive often. The others- I've tested out. I like having control over my gears and settings. Turning of course sounds funny when in the 4 wheel drive options- but that's to be expected. I still need to get use to using these more.
    This vehicle is great! It can tow, haul and plow through A LOT of conditions!!! :-) I can't wait to get in down to the outer banks in the sand!
  • Options
    zitlowzitlow Member Posts: 10
    What are the reasons for the 12,000 mile change interval in the owner's manual for the Liberty diesel 4x4? Sounds excessive
  • Options
    Probably to offset any economical advantage you might experience in better mpg and lower fuel costs vs the gas model.
  • Options
    pflatlandpflatland Member Posts: 1
    I have 2003 liberty I bought new. It has been Perfect. Selec-Trac is the way to go it costs a little more but it has all the atvantages of the part -time plus you can leave it in 4x4 on slippery patches on any road.....It is the cheapest SUV to insure!! Check for yourself at this link..http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourcar/P5649- 0.asp
  • Options
    piombopiombo Member Posts: 3
    My daughter noticed a blue stain on the headliner above the passenger seat. I couldn't figure out how that happened until yesterday. When I went to wash the rear window using the wiper I noticed windshield washer solvent leaking down out of the ceiling. Apparently that is where the washer fluid hose is located. It must have cracked due to the cold weather (10 degrees Fahrenheit). Dealer can't see me for a week. Does anyone know how to access the hose? Maybe a connection just came apart and I can connect the tubing again.
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    hi.. i have a liberty rental and never owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle before so here's my question.. i would like to have the vehicle drive in 4 wheel drive at all times since the roads here are wet/sometimes have snow.. this includes driving on the highway going over 50.. i noticed that in 4wd lo, it can't go over 50mph.. and when i put it in 4wd hi, it says PARTTIME on the dash.. is this correct? does this mean, its driving on 2 wd and the 4wd only comes on when its slipping? for you knowledgable liberty owners, please explain.. thanks
  • Options
    russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    nothing about the liberty's 4wd system is automatic,

you pick either 2wd, 4wdhi (part time), or 4wd lo.

4wd part time is just that, Part time. because you should only have it engaged, part of the time (when it's slippery out there)

when in part time, the front and rear drive shafts are locked together, and because they're locked together, the Jeep should only be driven on slippery surfaces when engaged.

Some Libertys have a Full-Time option, which doesn't lock the front and rear drive shafts,

this mode can be driven on dry, non slippery roads.

People on this forum will disagree whether wet roads are slippery enough for use of Part time, in my cherokee, I sometimes use part time, when raining, but others would only use it in the snow or on a gravel road.

When in Part time, if you're going straight,the requirement for slippyness is less of an issue, but if you're turning lots then it is needed.

Regards
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    i dont have the 4wd all the time option on this liberty... so i'm guessing if i were to drive it correctly according to the manual and yourself, i should have it set at 2wd ...

coming from just crashing my mustang last week because it slipped on roads that iced up... i'm not too confident in driving this liberty in 2wd mode.. if there are some water on the roads (might freeze up when the temperature drops at night)... scary!
  • Options
    dbh_jeepdbh_jeep Member Posts: 17
    Ice is the great equalizer of 2WD and 4WD vehicles.
  • Options
    My 03 Liberty is nasty on wet, gravelly or slick roads in 2wd when accelerating quickly from a stop. The back tires spin easily and often. In f/t 4wd, it grabs nicely. If road conditions are poor, it stays f/t -- no need to swap tires just yet. It's cheaper to pull the shift lever as needed.

I got my Jeep with abs and side airbags. It was almost impossible to find one on any lot. I live in a large metro area and dealers never order them that way. Found one 35 miles from home. If the four dealers nearby had even one on the lot, I would have stayed close to home. Their loss.

Raining today and lady in front of me slammed on her brakes after changing her mind on turning left and the abs worked great on the wet road. I've locked up with other cars [one crash] and the loss of control is panic city.

Don't wanna know how the side bags work.
  • Options
    eugenethejeepeugenethejeep Member Posts: 8
    I have not used the Part-time on my Liberty (2002), but here we get a lot of snow and I use the full-time 4WD. I find nothing helps on the ice.
  • Options
    Due to it's mass, only chains or studded tires can be efficient on ice. I got good grip on ice the first year with new stock tires (S4), but for this winter I bought BFG T/A in 225/75R16 size. I was able to pull out of deep heavy snow accumulated behind the truck up to the middle of my spare tire. This is when the part-time makes the difference, as long as you park the truck with the transfer case already engaged. With the diesel engine warm, you don't need to be in LO mode to do this; at 1500 rpm there is enough power to damage the plastic bumper!
  • Options
    >>at 1500 rpm there is enough power to damage the plastic bumper!<<

UH-OH, are you speaking from experience?
  • Options
    Yes.

I spread more than 12 feet long of snow+ice over a cleanly ploughed road that day. Usually people have shovels, I used the LO mode... The same applies for the front fog lights. I was complaining about the depth of the recess where they are installed; in summer I find there is not enough side lighting near the front wheels: now I think they were designed for people like me. I'd prefer to have steel bumpers when going off-road or for my winter 'sports'.

By the way, the bottom + sides part of the rear bumper costs 499.58 Euros. One rear tail light sells for 218.40 Euros. This seems quite a lot more expensive than what you guys pay in the States.
  • Options
    That is pretty expensive...
  • Options
    This is winter the condition I referred to:

http://richard.fortin.free.fr/KJ_diesel/Snow.jpg
  • Options
    YIKES! That's pretty impressive. Thanks for the picture! I laughed at the "Is This My Jeep?" on the spare.
  • Options
    eugenethejeepeugenethejeep Member Posts: 8
    Thank you, I am still getting the hang of the part-time, full-time 4 x 4. I have the stock tires GY Wrangler 235/70R16. We also get a lot of snow here, and very cold temps. Weather watch says -45C with the wind.
  • Options
    not_thrillednot_thrilled Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago, I traded in a 1999 Dodge ram 4x4 pickup. It was great in snow, but was going through alot of gas. I told the salesman at the dealership I was looking for a vehicle that was very good in snow. On his recommendation, I got a 2002 Jeep Liberty. This vehicle has Mastercraft Courser AWT tires that appear to have an agressive tread pattern. This past weekend was the first time that there has been any snow on the road, and I was horrified at this vehicles performance.

When in 4X4, the truck tends to fishtail alot. IF I were to tap the gas pedal to straighten out of the fishtail, this vehicle spins like a top. The first time, I was going less than 20MPG, started to fishtail in 4x4, and tapped the gas to straighten out. I spun around 4 times and hit a curb. The second time, I was going 15 MPH in a grocery store parking lot and turned to go down a parking isle. Again, it spun around like a top, and almost hit a light post.

Is this level of performance standard for this model? I expected ALOT more from something that says JEEP on it. The only way I can tell if the 4 weel drive is engaged is that it goes through gas faster. Not too thrilled with this purchase.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    1. Fit some decent all-season tires. Mastercraft=Junk. See: www.tirerack.com

2. Practice proper winter driving techniques. You need to realize that a short wheelbase vehicle will tend to change direction faster than a lethargic old barge like your Ram. Regardless, if you are doing 360s at 15 mph I seriously doubt that your Liberty is responsible.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    When in 4X4, the truck tends to fishtail alot. IF I were to tap the gas pedal to straighten out of the fishtail, this vehicle spins like a top. The first time, I was going less than 20MPG, started to fishtail in 4x4, and tapped the gas to straighten out. I spun around 4 times and hit a curb. You would have to driving on an ice rink for me to believe your story. Not familiar with the Mastercraft tires, the tires may be the problem, the driver may be the problem, the Liberty is not the problem.