Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I test drove two similar trucks with both engines and there is a huge difference in low end power. The 5.3 just seems effortless while the 4.8 seems to be adequate.
  • mjoy1mjoy1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi guys, newbie here. Any of you tried the Liberator tires from Wal-Mart? Going to be needing some before to long and saw that I could get 285's for around $96 apiece. I thought I had read where the 285's will fit on stock wheels, is that correct? I currently have the 265's. Also, any of you that have the 285's raised the front end using the torsion bars? Does it hurt the handling and ride to raise it an inch or two? I know I will have to have it aligned if I do this. Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    i have 285s on my truck and have for over 11K

Pics are here

http://members6.clubphoto.com/ryan392464/129711/guest.phtml

also about 2K miles AGO I cranked my front torsion bars. Got about an inch to 1.5

No problems as of yet

Ryan

Thanks for the reply, did you have an alignment done after making the adj., and was it tough to do or is it simply a matter of cranking on the bolts?
    cranking the torsion bars was VERY simple.

If you have a jack/measuring tape/18mm socket your set. Took maybe 10 min 15 max to do this.

I did get an alignment done which i needed before i did this anyways. The left side of my truck was out of alignment pretty bad (prior to adjusting the bars). The right side wasnt to bad.

The rear is only like an inch higher than the front now opposed to 2-2.5" before
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    It was as if someone had asked it on purpose so that someone else could answer it. Call it coincidence if you will...I wonder.

Either that or someone coincidently asks a question that has been asked and answered too many times?

Anyone seen Quad around?
    Sorry if this seems silly, but what did you need the jack for? Do you need to raise each side when doing this or is it simply for ease of getting under the truck?
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Ok, I have a question. Has anyone who has the Rhino Lining heard of a fine texture spray? I called one place right by the house and he's being doing this process for 9 1/2 years. He quoted me for Under the Rail $418 out the door (taxes and all included) for the process. He said they tape everything off (just like everyone else) and do a fine texture spray which is 'smoother'.
    I called another place and they quoted me $369.95 (originally 399.95 but you get the $30 off promotion). He said they "do a textured urethane, which is like rubber finish".
    Is there any difference between these two finishes that anyone knows about?
    They both claim to do the same thickness 1/4" bed and 1/8" sides. Both One Day operations.
    One place is 5 minutes from my house, the other is about 20-30 minutes away.
    Any thoughts on these processes?
    I'm going to stop by and see both operations before I go any further, but I want actually NEED to get this done before winter so my bed doesn't start rusting.
    Thanks
    Truckchic
    i jacked it up to take the load off the front suspension

Truckchic my rhino liner is like cottage cheese. Little dimples i guess you can say
    Dang. Thought you had that thing done already....lol.
    Well, I've been trying to research. And, things have been busy.

Most places I called have quoted me about $369 plus tax. One place closest quoted me the 418 out the door (tax included). I think I'm going to go over there to see their set up and see if they will negotiate and come down a little, at least match the other quotes.

I was just curious is there is really a difference between texture urethane and fine textured spray.

It is going to get done this year, before snow!

truckchic
    Have you found any of these coatings that's applied hot? There is a local dealer in my area which applies a product hot and claims it has better adhesion and that they spray it thicker than either linex, rhino or the other brands. Their company name is Superior Coatings but not sure on exactly what brand it is that they apply hot. May be something that you want to check into.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    I just gotta ask this -- why did you feel you had to take the load off the suspension just to crank in 4 or 5 rounds on the bars?
    -- Don
    email me i have a coupon for $30 off a rhino liner plus a free flashlight. Id be happy to mail it to you (I can send it out tomorrow night and you could get it early next wk)

Email me: Ryanb0928@yahoo.com
    Ever get the feeling that you're being ignored? Hmmmm.....
  • beelzebubbabeelzebubba Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2001 Silverado LT Extended Cab Z-71 with the towing Package and Locking Dif. I got it through Carsdirect.com and got a great deal plus 2.9% from GMAC. It is black and Beautiful!!!! Oh, I got the 5.3 liter engine too. Smooth.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Yeah; that's mostly why I stopped getting married.
    -- Don
  • mikeb31mikeb31 Member Posts: 25
    Did your get them? Put them on yet?
    They were shipped friday. Hopefully get them today or tomorrow. They will be installed saturday (or sunday).
    Actually, they are giving that deal without the coupon. The prices they gave me were $30 off plus the flashlight giveaway, so I don't think I need the coupon.

But Thanks! I wanted to stop by the 2 Rhino places last week and check ot the process, but I've been under the weather, so maybe this week I can do that. I think if the guy closest to my house will come down in price and at least match the other ones I got, then I'll go with him. Otherwise I'll go with the others.

Anyone know any horror stories with Ziebart? That's one place that gave me a decent price on the liner.

Thanks
    Truckchic
  • scrutinizerscrutinizer Member Posts: 5
    Why don't you just buy some herculiner for 100-130 bucks and do it yourself? I'm pretty impressed with the stuff. It cures pretty hard. Just wear rubber gloves, it took me 4 days to get it off my hands! (Inever could follow directions!)
    was interested in that until I saw the price....
  • donjbakerdonjbaker Member Posts: 27
    Does any one know how to locate a dealer by their number? I'm trying to find out where dealer # 18072.

Thanks
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    a super bright halogen to replace the rear cargo lamp........that way i can return the courtesy to those who keep their brights on when they get behind me. thank god for the power mirrors. since i tinted the rear windows, that helps too.
    I like to turn on the cargo light when i am being tailgated at night. They can better see the finger i am holding up :)
  • bcypebcype Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if one of you could give me a good step by step process for tightening up my torsion bars. Also list anything that I should watch for while doing it.

Thanks
    get an 18mm socket

measure the height of your front end prior to turning bolts

turn bolts 3-5 turns on each side. Check measurement to make sure its level. Take it for a ride to let it settle. Then get an alignment
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    I know performance products offers halogen replacements for many bulbs (if you were serious)...

Another option would be to add a rear set of driving lights (many do to aid in backing up) and flash them when...

You could also add a tahoe/yukon driver side mirror (if you have electrochromic rear-view mirror) and that auto dims with rear-view.
    it's really not that big of a deal. only time it ever happens to me is when i'm driving home through the valley on 46, where the roads are pitch black at night and sometimes someone forgets to turn their beams down. i saw a trucker on a highway use his rear cargo lights on a motorist once, and that seemed to get their attention right away. doubt that it's legal though, and then again, i wouldn't want to do something that resulted in someone getting into an accident.
    are the blue lights better for visability, and are they legal?
    thanks
    They give off a "whiter" light. The color doesn't make them illegal, the wattage does. If you stick to 55/60 (factory) they are not illegal.
    I put them on my car, and they seem okay. They were brighter than stock, but that is because Honda uses a 50 watt (52 maybe) low beam. I can't see any other difference other than they are very noticeable to an oncoming driver.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    May be illegal. The high end HID lamps they mimic are legal.

See story at Stern Lighting:

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/blue/bad/

Mike L

• dansa2dansa2 Member Posts: 28
    2000 GMC-xcab. I use A/C often here in south florida,lately I have been smelling a midlew odor when A/C is off. I will take it to dealer but first would like to hear if any one else has had similar problem. This issue may have been discussed before but I cant seem to find it.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    There is a TSB out on the musty smell. GM will clean the mold off if you ask them.
  • lakotalakota Member Posts: 11
    I'm trying to determine the differences between the two models listed in the title. Basically, what I'd buy if it were new would be a 1500 Z71 loaded. After you add the Z71 package the price gets pretty close to a 2500 in my area. I know the 2500 does not offer Z71. Besides the engine size, is the 2500 a completely different truck or is it really close to 1500 Z71. I'm mainly thinking about the suspension, clearance, capacity, etc. Thanks.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    has more capacity...larger frame..axles....etc....not to mention bigger and better brakes. It already has sway bars like the Z71 package..has a better suspension....and you can get skid plates on a 2500 seperate. Shocks can be switched out if you want. As for jounce bumpers....who needs them!?

a 2500 will ride firmer.....giving a better feel for the road...but when it hits bumps..it hits hard....but I prefer the 2500 and will never go back

Good Luck

- Tim
    ground clearance will be more for the body..but lower for the differential...being it is so huge. Capacity is around 1200lbs more in the bed...with the truck weighing about 550 lbs more..

- Tim
    Z71 pkg is $375
    weird colored Sierra/Silveardo (this was at night). Guy was in the left lane doing 45 in a 55. Shaking my head I moved to the middle lane with a car up front of me, started to accelerate to pass. The guy sees me and starts to speed up. Now don't that piss you off? I bury the pedal and before the other driver could react, was in front of him by enough to change into his lane. Well, for my actions, as I looked into my rearview mirror, I could see the guys arm out the window with that all too familiar hand sign. I then noticed it was a Sierra........
    what was the color man!!!!????

- Tim
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    That "familiar hand sign" usually means you humiliated the other driver succesfully! Yeah-I'm with Tim...what was the weird color??? Forest green metallic?? :)
    Forest green metallic is not weird!!!

Granted it is not as nice as my Polo Green Metallic, but at least it aint pewter!!!

Just ask Ryan, pewter is for the old folks! LOL

-Eric
    musta been Carmine.......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    In Michigan maybe you will be seeing a carmine doing 55 in the 45 all the time......heck....it may even pick yer [non-permissible content removed] up from the airport one day!

dohhh

hahaha

- Tim
    "Just ask Ryan, pewter is for the old folks! LOL"

Nope that would be carmine!!!

Side note if i was buying a truck today i would probably get a green one. I really am starting to like that color. (anyone see the puke green avs yet)

Ryan
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    pewter for the old?? or the lazy??
    DOH!! I have pewter and I'm not old!!!

Bob
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    and I now have an '01 Polo Green. It is a beautiful color, but for the overall look I think I liked the white better. Wanted Pewter when I bought the white but by then EVERYBODY had Pewter.
    The truck wasn't pewter...more like a grayish beige (puke) if that makes any sense. This was at night so I had a hard time telling and it was the new design so had to be at least a '99. Didn't bother to see if it had the fourth door cause I couldn't pass him on the left. It DID have those ugly 4x4 stickers on its side tho.
    is this one of them thar MACHO things?
This discussion has been closed.