Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    20's at night too

but daytime 40's....little bit of 50's...

I like this weather anyhow...

- Tim
    Coffee should be drank black.......(actually coffee is red if you look at it in a clear glass up to the light)

....unless you buy the supplies from me....then I want ya to drink it with tons of sugar and cream!

LOL

Gots to work now

- Tim
    ...by the time they have cooled seats and heated steering wheels in the trucks.....I'll be sitting in a 2500 Burb....

so hopefully 5 years or less

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    coffe black? Not trying to kill myself gotta load up on the sugar
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    only rough nights i had all year was the ones Tim put me through when i stayed at his place.........BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    LOL

nahh....ain't nuttin' slacking about Mike.....that's for sure

Good luck on this one now!

- Tim
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    I was wondering what other owners are getting for gas mileage on their Sierra's with the 5.3. I have just under 10k on my '00 4x4 ExtCab SB, my high has been 18 but my daily average is 16 loaded or unloaded city or highway or a combination there of. The salesrep says I should have the computer checked next time it is in for an oil change. I have no complaints with power on demand, as a matter of fact you have to really watch that you don't "give'r". I drive conservatively so I only 'light the burners' when absolutely necessary. Opinions?
    filled up today

all city driving. 12.7 mpg
    then 3:73's must be straining to get then tires going?

I have been getting 14 in the city and pushing 16 on the highway.....with a 600 lbs heavier truck and 4:10's and a 6.0!

- Tim
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Someone on one of these Chevy threads was recently asking about protective seat covers for hunting season. I've looked all over but can't find the post (word search ?). This week a buddy at work delivered into my hand the catalogue of a company specializing in hunting, fishing and outdoor gear. Thumbing through I came across just what you're looking for. The name of the company is Cabela's (World's Foremost Outfitter). As you might expect they have a website: www.cabelas.com
    >automotive/atv
    >seat covers/ replacement seats
    If your still looking, hope this helps. Happy hunting.

-David

P.S. Anyone, How do I make that site address a hot link?
    Well these 2 mile trips to school and 5 mile trips to my gf's takes a toll on mpg

I can get 17-18 highway
  • boskybosky Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sierra 1/2 ton with a v-8 engine. I've started to hear a knocking sound like a lifter or rod knocking. The dealer tells me that GM is having a problem with their pistons and are in the process of trying to resolve it. They also said that they should have a solution in the middle of the 1st. qtr. 2002. Has anyone at this site heard of this problem?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yes we have....and none substantiated by GM.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    which match the factory materials, and they have camo seat covers for the hunting inclined. I think you can use your search engine for Marathon Seat Covers and get to their website. I got some samples from them and they do look just like the factory fabrics, but I was not interested in the camo, so I don't know what they are like. They are pricey.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    seats were extremely comfortable, but not after 4 and 1/2 hrs. of stop and go (mostly stop) traffic. That's how long it took to get 13.5 miles in the storms we had last night. Highway closed because of water so 3 lanes of freeway commuter traffic had to merge onto a single lane residential street to get around it. The state has a slogan about "driving Texas friendly". No way Jose!! Maybe I need to try a Tundra with its car-like ride?
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    There is an old saying "friends don't let friends drive Toyotas" so just say NO.
    -Eric
  • wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    Was enjoying a problem-free run with my new (in 3/01) 2000 Sierra - it has only 7K miles now. Then, yesterday, a lady tried to squeeze past me in a turn lane and hit me. She caught my rear bumper, cracked the tailight and scraped the box side. Now I have filed a claim against her insurance and hope to get my baby repaired soon. -Just had to vent.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    My butt's feeling better. Same truck, same bucket seats, but this '01 is just not as comfy as my '99 was.
    i feel for ya. I know kinda what you are going through having my truck damaged when it was only 2 wks old

other Lady in a toyota echo almost took out my front end as she pulled out into traffic without looking. Luckily i have the best brakes in a half ton truck :)
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    If it will make you feel any better -- I "acquired" over 120 golf ball hail dents in the storm that took out 78 aircraft in Denver late this June on my then 10 month old truck. Hood, roof, front fenders, all 4 doors, bed sides; would have been worse without the Line-X and bed cover. You'll feel better about it about a month after it's fixed. Also, was walking my dogs this morning when I saw, one cul-de-sac over, a month or two old 3/4 ton ext cab Sierra 4X4 that had the cab from the rear door back and the side of the bed to just in front of the left rear wheel all tore up bad. Now there's a guy who's head has got to be hurting.
    -- Don
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Yesterday morning I looked outside and saw my neighbor's 00 Sierra with the left rear quarter panel all mushed in. The I noticed another neighbor on the other side of me got the bed of his 01 Silverado all mushed up just aft of the right door. I'll have to get both their stories. But it sure must suck.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    What are these, I don't comprehend? ;)
    Our closest person is over a half mile away in any direction. Nice to be able to shoot Coyotes off of the back porch or sight my scope in while standing off the end of the garage, using my tailgate as a work bench.

Oh yeah, I live 2 miles from a City of 9000, so I aint in hick ville, and my road is as paved and good as any county road will be.

Hunter

PS, I know what they are! ;)
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    What are some worth used (30k miles)? Any negative issues of using them, as in towing or otherwise?
    They make a difference...depending on what you can get them for used with 30k, I would consider buying them new. Cause the trouble of the install far outweigh the price of the item. Guess what I'm trying to say is that if its free, fine. If you have to pay for them...I would buy new ones.
    Have you used Velvet Rides on a 1500? The concept is good, but the 1/2 tons seem so softly sprung in the back I can't figure out if they're worth the effort.
    -- Don
    I'm jealous. And as soon as I don't need this job anymore, max 2 more years, I'm moving to 40 acres in the middle of not real close to anything!
    -- Don
    I had installed the velvet ride shackels and found that the ride of the truck was especially better with no load and on expansion joints on the freeway. The 1500 springs are soft but they are still springs and not coils.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Yeah it is really nice. We own several hundred acres around our house. It is nice to be in the country, although haveing "good" neighbors would help to keep an eye for things at the farmstead if we are away from home. Things have a tendency to dissapear in the country, although we have never had any problems yet that I know of. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

So you are two years from retirement, congratulations.

Hunter
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    shackles are on ebay currently at $41.
    Thanks, Dean. At least I think so, now I'm going to have to go try them. Just when I thought I was done fooling around with/setting up my truck. Sorry for the poor memory, but you're running Edelbrock shocks, right?
    As far as the old missle sites go, not to laugh. They were something of a hot, if peculiar, property around these parts a few years ago.
    -- Don
  • macjawsmacjaws Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra SLE w/V-8 engine.My problem is the last few months it will not start sometimes.The engine will turn and the starter is fine but it will not fire.Took it back to dealer 3 times and checked with computer and they found nothing.If you wait about 15 minutes later the truck will start.It only does it every once and a while. Any answers
    hot, or does it do it when cold? Don't know that I have the answer, but at least having to wait 15 min when it's hot sounds like a more solvable puzzle.
    -- Don
    I had three mods to the suspension.

edlebrock shocks- Replaced after 18k miles under manufacturer's warranty. I paid freight charges to return old ones...they paid delivery freight and for 4 new shocks. Needed to replace one, they asked if I wanted all four....wish GM would learn from them.

Roadmaster Active Suspension- For the case of the soft 1500 springs, I gave them a little assistance.

http://www.activesuspension.com/

Velvet ride shackles- Really took the bite out of those springs...lowered rear end of truck about 3/4".

http://www.velvet-ride.com/

Now that I think about it, I had a kinda similar problem with one of my Hondas. Taking the key out and putting it back in solved it. A "smart" ignition key/system problem, but didn't require a wait.
    -- Don
    Thanks again -- I was wondering just today if the rear suspension could be improved a bit and this'll give me something to play around with. Already have the Eldlebrocks; stock shocks were the second things to go.
    -- Don
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    man you make me look like a hick, I live 7 miles from a town of 16,000 (1/2 of them are college students, so its really only a 8,000 town) with 2 miles of washboard dirt road
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    that sounds like my kind of town. ....:-)
    ...but how are the bars?

- Tim
    Bonanza?
  • carter25carter25 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1996 Ext Cab Z-71 that i bought new , 65000 Mi later its the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have had my share of oil leaks and misc repairs, but it has never left me sitting on the side of the road. I tow a 6500 lb boat at least 30 times a year for trips up to 220 miles at a time , in addition I also pull a 8500lb Travel Trailer 6 to 8 times a year up to 450 mi trips. Never have I had to open up the engine or tranny except for normal maintenance. I am now considering buying a new 2500HD crew cab for a second tow vehicle.I am looking at the 6.0 w/ 4.10 axle . I want to know from all the current owners of this paticular truck is it worth the 33000.00 I looking to spend on it or should I look at another manafacter regretably.
    All I can say is that my 2000 Silverado hasn't given me a moment of trouble. I bought it because of the giant engineering leap forward that GM made with the new series of trucks and I haven't been disappointed. I've been more than happy, but there are those who've had their share of problems; both with their trucks, and with GM. Are they junk? Not hardly. When they work right, they're the cutting edge, but do seem to be a few QC issues out there.
    -- Don
    I feel all vehicles are a ripp...but what ya gonna do?

My current 2K 2500 LT was around 34-35K??(can't remember) sticker and got it for $30,012 out the door with GMO discounts...

2002 2500HD CC LT 8.1/Ali. is just under 40K sticker.....$35,262 out the door....

$5,200 more for basically the same truck with a big block and a CC...

is it worth it?

I don't know?......but I seem to still want it!

Go ahead and buy....you will be happy

- Tim
  • wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    for the consolation, guys. I expect to get the Sierra's damage fixed soon pending approval of the estimate from the other party's ins. co. Probably will be back to normal in less than three weeks. Have asked them to provide for a rental - a pickup, of course. No GMCs, but they do have the Silverado.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Just make sure and demand genuine GM replacement parts. It is your right, and usually is a thicker grade of sheet metal, not to mention double sided galvanizing. Don't let them short change you.
  • abbey1abbey1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm purchasing a Silverado, any pro and cons on this type model
  • tengatenga Member Posts: 20
    Well, after reading about "I own this and I own that" and "don't buy this and don't buy that", for the last year and a half, I have just ordered a 2202 Sierra 2500HD SLT. The dialogue on the "Pickup" chat segment has almost always been interesting, sometimes exciting, sometimes a little bit heavy, but all in all, most of you have been open minded. Free advice and your willing to help seem to be the forefront of your commitment to this chat.
    I am a Marine of the pre-Vietam era (1957-61).
    You people do things in the Marine spirit. Keep it up. Tom
  • tengatenga Member Posts: 20
    For those of you who missed it in the "Title" it is a 2002 I ordered, not a 2202 model. Hey, I was a helicopter Mech. not a clerk/typist. But that's another story.
  • macjawsmacjaws Member Posts: 4
    The starting problem has happened both when hot or cold.Had a new key made to see if that might help but it did'nt.Dealer is as puzzled as I am.
    Certainly has me stumped. My simple minded guess is that it has someting to do with the security system.
    -- Don
This discussion has been closed.