Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    What would be a fair price for a set of 4 new 17" take-off wheels from a new Avalanche? Anyone know what the backspacing would be compared to a Silverado rim? Thanks.
  • macjawsmacjaws Member Posts: 4
    I have never smelled gas when it finally starts.Thought it might be flooded also but dealer said that was not the answer.Hopefully someone will find the answer,driving me more crazier than I already am.Thanks for the input
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    of CIPA extendable towing mirrors for my HD tonight. Thought it might be nice to see by/behind the snowmobile trailer.

Anyone have any experience with these? What about any of the other brands (Lucerix or Bestop)? They all appear to be exactly the same mirror with the same cut-outs for directionals, too. Just curious.
    -Eric
  • kanton1kanton1 Member Posts: 41
    Has anyone put a billet grille insert on a new HD? Was it easy. I installed one on both my 1/2 ton silverado and my yukon, pretty easy. i was just curious if the hd was more difficult.

Kyle
  • erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    I followed your link over on the PickupTruck.Com board to the CIPA Web site. To me, that picture of the mirror looks EXACTLY like one of the pictures from the Lucerix Web site. I would guess that CIPA is just re-selling the Lucerix mirrors.

As I have stated before, the extendable outside mirrors I REALLY want are power and heated, like the Lucerix mirrors, power in-out, like the PowerVision mirrors, auto-dimming and auto-tilt in reverse with puddle lamps, like the Denali mirrors, and power-folding, like the Escalade mirrors. And all for under $200 for a pair. Oh well, at the rate things are changing, I guess I'll have to wait until NEXT year for somebody to come out with that product!

;-)
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Didn't you ask for those on the other forum? LOL

For now I guess i will just have to put up with power adjust & heat, and manually extending/retracting.

If you should find those mirrors for that price, let me know. Also, what about turn signal in the mirror?
    -Eric
  • ricracricrac Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. Has anyone used the Hypertech Power Programmer yet. I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2WD with the 5.3 in it. I have already put on a K&N Cold Air Intake and a Poweraid throttle body spacer and Flowmaster exhaust. I am pushing around 320 hp now. Anyone know if this programmer is worth the trouble?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Ryan and Obyone have them on their trucks, check the Chevy Silverado board and ask them pros & cons

Ray T.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Have you had your truck dynoed? I wouldnt believe the box when it says itll increase it by 20 hp etc.

Hypertech i use mine for the tire size change. SHift firmness was nice but not for me
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you can find one on ebay for under $200, I'd say its worth it. I wouldn't pay full retail fot it.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Use it; run premium fuel at altitude, 6K ft, real nice bump in low speed torque, much improved throttle response, and less thrashing about in hilly terrain at highway speeds. Wouldn't go back. $340 w/free shipping from Summit Racing. Be very careful with used units!
    -- Don
  • eric757eric757 Member Posts: 5
    I looked on www.xpel.com, and found a dealer near me to install some of the products that they offered. I called and asked if they did spray in bed liners and he told me the difference in Rhino, Line-x and his product. (I can't remember the name of his product, the dealer name was 'Alphaliner'). Rhino is a harder cold application liner. (old technology) Line-x is 80/20 poly blend. His product is a 50/50 poly blend that was applied warm. It bonded better and had a smoother finish. I haven't priced Rhino because I haven't heard enough good stuff about it. Line-x is $340+tax (short bed) with a $20 off coupon you can get at the dealer or on there web site. Alphaliner was $325+tax. I haven't had a chance to get to that dealer to check out his product yet but it sounds pretty good. I'll post what I find out or what I end up doing.
    Eric
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Rhino is kinda soft and I have not heard of any stories of anyone actually using one hard. I know 2 people with Line-x and would suggest that.

I still prefer a drop in though

Good Luck

- Tim
    Tim your living in the stone age come into the 21st century

After a yr and a half with my rhino i still really like it. I havent used it very hard but it has been used. Id have to say you cant go wrong with either rhino or line x. These offbeat brands id be worried about. Rhino and line x have made a name for themselves and have proved themselves.
  • emthoustonemthouston Member Posts: 12
    I had a Rhino liner sprayed in my new 2500HD. I had TOFF (sprayed in) liners in my last two trucks with no problems. I haul hay and feed for our horses and lots of wood (restoring my old house) with no problems. I like the looks of the Rhino.
    ...I rest my case..

- Tim
    you rest your case?

Im sure if i had to abuse it it would hold up fine. Thats why it comes with a lifetime warranty

For you hunting guys check this out

http://www.realtreetruck.com/SeePhotos.htm

when we do meet some day we are taking the hand sledge hammer to both and see what happens..

- Tim
  • mikeb31mikeb31 Member Posts: 25
    I have a couple of friends with Rhino liners, no problems with them, but they don't haul very heavy loads. Know a contractor with a custom Silverado crew cab extra long with a utility body. Had Line-x. After a couple years of heavy duty use it's peeling off the sides and bottom. He totaled it out a couple of weeks ago though, car in the land next to him blew a tire, spun around and hit him head on on the freeway.
  • lmihoklmihok Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up a new 2002 Silverado Z71 extended cab with a 5.3. Traded in a 97 Silverado ext cab Z71 with 5.0. I was not looking for a new truck, but the combination of 0% financing, the GM supplier price that I was able to get on the new truck, and the $15,000 trade in price combined with the $1300 GM card rebate convinced me I should buy a new one.
    Some observations new vs old:
    New truck seems much larger to me while driving.
    No comparison between new and old available power.
    New trucks suspension may be a little too soft.
    Gas mileage is very close to the old truck and it is not broken in.
    Build quality of interior is much better than old truck.
    Just my observations.
    whos bringing the sledge?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    one free of charge. Just email me the pics of the aftermath.....lmao!
    I mean a hand sledge....like 2-3 Lb....I don't think any liner would survive a full blown long handled sledge attack...

All liners have weak points.....

drop ins when warm..can ripp easy if very heavy loads are slid across them...like a 3000 lb pallet of bricks with maybe a nail in the bottom. Father in law with a line x had that very situation happen (about 2000 lbs though) and ripped the heck out of the line-x where that nail traveled. Had it repaired (can't do with a drop in)
    When re-doing the landscape I got at least 8-9 pallets of bricks/retaining wall blocks pushing over 3000-3500lb every load. Every pallet was loaded about just past the tailgate...set down...then slid into the bed further. ANY liner would be at risk(especially if nails are present)... for those loads I stuck a piece of plywood down...and it got ripped to heck.

When getting large rocks for the landscape....they would load up a bucket truck and slowly drop them in over the rails...and they made one hell of a racket....but no dents. I still say a spray in would not handle that. It wouldn't break apart I believe?....but there would be dents transferred to your metal below.

Also got loads of dirt which can be shoveled out carefully..but I chose to just hammer away.....gouging at the liner, but never chipping it. It has some battle scars...(which I still don't understand why people get upset...??)...but it's there to protect the bed!

I did lots more stuff back in the first spring/summer than last one with the truck.....but I have no regrets getting a drop in..and will continue to get one.

Now if you haul doors....furniture...small rocks..dirt..boxes.or just plain want something newer in "style"....or "coolness".....then get a spray in...

I mean no harm to people who like them....but I have been known to voice my opinion....LOL

If you want the ultimate in protection...get some sheets of diamond plate and bolt them down to the bed....

Enjoy

- Tim
    Wow i agree with your post. Nails are pretty devestaing to a spray in. This past summer i had 10 ceder fence panels loaded in my truck along with concrete and 4x4's. Well me and my mom were taking one of the panels off my truck and a nail snagged the liner. Just put a tiny scratch in it about 6 inches long. I thought for sure it was gonna rip it up when i felt the snag. Held up very well

Also i have loaded mulch and unloaded it with a shovel. Never gouged the liner once.

Also personal experience. I have loaded many trucks with pallets which had a spray in. Never tore one up in 3 yrs. Probably loaded about 200-300 trucks (appx) with spray ins.
    only a 2-3lb sledge? Not very confindent in your liner are you?
    .....quit diggin' your grave son!

LOL

easier to handle while standing next to the tailgate. I have already tried it and know the results on mine.

I have confidence in my truck....as you do your art piece..

haha

Enjoy

- Tim
    art piece? Whats that supposed to mean?

Oh yea i added some door dill protectors to my truck yesterday. They are actually pretty nice. The paint was getting scratched from people getting in and out of my truck so i put em on. $18 for the set wasnt bad

Ryan
    I rest my other case your honor!

LOL

J/K

- Tim
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Did you get the ones made by stepshield ?
    (aka auto ventshade co.) Man they are nice .
    I got mine a couple months ago. 4 pc. set
    was 20 bucks. Heck of a lot cheaper than
    a roll of that invisible bra stuff.
    Sure saves the paint on the door jambs !
    www.ventvisor.com
    yep they are the auto ventvisors

They are very nice. Looks good too. I am also getting a set for my moms blazer since hers is geting scratched up bad

Ryan
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    The new ones are indeed longer and a bit roomier. You should discover considerable power increase over the 5.0 and better mileage to boot.
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Does anyone here have a sportside box on their pickup? How do you like it or wish you had the fleetside box?

rcoos
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Has anyone ordered this option with a 2WD pickup?
    rcoos
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Very few 2WD trucks up here, but I have to imagine it's better than nothing.
  • markw8markw8 Member Posts: 25
    This is in response to some posts in November about hard starts or no starts. My computer was sick. My truck at times acted like it was flooded and wouldn't start.At other times the security light would stay on.I was at the dealer on other business when the light stayed on and I was able to have the truck looked at right then. While they scanned it I mentioned my starting problems and was told they were a part of the same problem.Some part of the ignition switch is bad. Mark.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    and would ike another. Bed is small, but I don't need a large bed. I like the style but not the additional $$$. Never wished bed was larger when I had them.
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Hey Everyone!

I FINALLY got my spray in liner for my 2001 GMC Sierra.

It's beau - tea - ful! Just got it sprayed on Saturday. Was nervous about getting this done, but they did a good job. They spray it in a little different than other places, it doesn't have that really crater look to it...it's smoother.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I've been asking and researching this darn thing for god knows how long!

You've helped me out a lot.
    Truckchic
    (As as I get the pictures developed, I'll post them)
  • jasonpeterclarjasonpeterclar Member Posts: 30
    It's not a real traction control system, just a throttle control. It limits the amount of throttle input to allow the standard limited slip differential to work properly. If you notice, to get the "traction control" you must also have the limited slip and cruise control options.
    It's a little annoying when your booting it onto a wet freeway and the system kicks the throttle back to idle. It can really leave you hanging. And when you regain traction, it slams the throttle right back to where you had it. It's real jerky in operation on semi-slick pavement (and dry pavement too, I've got the 5.3L)
    Haven't tried it in the snow yet. The manual says to turn it off if your rocking out of mud or snow. It just won't allow a lot of wheelspin.

I think it's basically designed to keep you from fragging the differential with too much throttle input.
    I have it on my '01 2wd, works fine for me. I set it to be constantly on in the winter, constantly off in summer.
  • edwardt1edwardt1 Member Posts: 20
    I just had a speedliner sprayed in my
    2002 Sierra 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab. My
    previous truck a 2000 Z71 Ext Cab had
    a lineX liner. I liked the LineX but
    the dealer was 50 miles away. I prefer
    the LineX or Speedliner to the Rhino.
    I like the finish compared to the Rhino.

I prefer spray in liners because they don't
    warp or rattle like drop in liners can.
    Also unlike a damaged drop in they are
    repairable
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I got the rubber bed mat to stop load shift when hauling whatever & to somewhat protect the paint which prevents the rust. I haul a lot of firewood among other things and it just gets tossed in. Do I get dents thru the mat & on inside sidewalls? You bet, but did the look of the bed ever determine the sale of a truck, not after it's 10-12 years old it doesn't. Hell the bed was in better shape then the exterior paint!

Ryan likes his spray in, Tim likes the drop in I like the mat, all different perspectives on what to use, to each his own.......my 2 cents worth.

Ryan, that 2-3 lb sledge is also known as a lump hammer in mason trade.

Ray T.
    id go with a heavier one but tim suggested a 2-3. Seems he is not confident with his liner.

See he talked some trash and left. Hasnt been back since
    come on and walk the walk little man

LOL

Down with spray ins

LOL

- Tim
    i knew id get ya back here

it was all a ploy haha

hey i was at an autoparts store (they do permatech spray ins) well a guy was ordering one for his 2500 LD.
    hey tim do you know of any good skiing places in michigan. Hopefully early part of january there will be snow and ill get to take a trip
    some times the ice on the sidewalk gets thick and I skate all the way to the bar?

..and you ain't got a hair on yer [non-permissible content removed] if you come here and don't call me.....

BTW...Pine Knob for skiing....and it's close enough to meet me and buy me some beers Jr.!

LOL

- Tim
    I am highly considering a ski trip early next yr (3-4 wks)

I wont be woking (doubtfully) and i have never been. Just gotta find a place and pray for snow.

Gf talked me into the ski trip. Guess i can agree it sounds like fun (unless i break my leg). Its all fair as long as i get my trip this spring in to the dunes
    even makes their own snow....

hmmmmm..

ya know?..I'm not sure they even still ski there now that I think of it?

hehehheehee

- Tim
    Took a closer look at the Ram, convinced that my Silverado is a much better buy. The entry into the rear seating area is more difficlt I think on the Dodge, and with the rear door open, it's a tight sueeze to get into the front seat. The dash looks pretty plain, and cheap, even the fold-down cup holders are very flimsy. Under the hood, the engine compartment doesn't look as neat as a GM truck, there are wires and hoses all over. there is no corrosion protection on the frame other than black paint. Drove fine, exhaust note sounded okay. Thought the adjustable brake and accelerator pedals was a nice option, but overall, not impressed with the "new" Dodge. My .02.
  • tengatenga Member Posts: 20
    Hate to admit it, but I lose my print out of conversation on 'How to locate vehicle in transit using vin number'. Can you help me out? My 2002 2500HD just got built. I'm getting anxious. Thanks, Tom.
    I got the "Tenga Tom" handle about 45 yrs ago in high school, when my buddies and I drank beer at a place called Tenga Flats.
This discussion has been closed.